gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The Good

There are a few different Avengers titles. This is more than just another one. Ales Kot was on board towards the end of the previous volume with Nick Spencer and takes over the series. While this may be a new beginning, it does follow up on some of the previous threads.

There's a great feel to the book. As I mentioned, this isn't just another Avengers book. It definitely has a very distinct and separate feel compared to those. The fact that we have an extremely smaller cast of characters. There's also the unification of having Avengers members and S.H.I.E.L.D. agents. I'll admit, when we started seeing more of Agent Coulson in comics along with Nick Fury Jr, I wasn't the biggest fan. It is a good way to try to reach those who may have had their start with the characters from the Cinematic Universe or simply haven't read comics in a while. The good news is I kinda love the two in this issue. There's a great report between them and they are in a pretty crazy situation.

They aren't the only ones in a crazy situation. Even though our cast only really consists of Maria Hill and M.O.D.O.K., Black Widow and Spider-Woman, as well as Hawkeye sort of worming his way in, there's a lot going on. Ales Kot gives a great mix of action and the type of humor you'd find in a Marvel Studios movie (although without being too over the top or forced). There's just a really great feel that meshes the spy genre and superhero characters it such a fun way.

I'm super excited for Michael Walsh on this series as well. I've been a huge fan of his work since I first came across it. Walsh and Kot have worked together on the first issue of ZERO and Walsh just finished a stint on THE X-FILES SEASON 10. He jumps in here and doesn't miss a beat.

Aside from the action, humor, and great art, there is also a very interesting story. Things are developing in big ways for these characters and you really feel a darkening cloud arriving overhead as the issue approaches the end.

The Bad

Did we really need a new #1 for this series? No, but it doesn't really matter anymore. It's a great issue full of fun and excitement. That's my main concern--reading a comic and enjoying it immensely.

The Verdict

This new volume of SECRET AVENGERS carries on the tradition of the previous and hits the ground running. Ales Kot has a great feel for the characters and mixes up the action, humor, and adventure. Michael Walsh delivers a great vibe to the story and establishes the tone right away. Reading this series is like getting the best of both worlds. We're getting secret spy missions with some of our favorite Avengers in tow. It's possible this just might become my favorite AVENGERS series.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

Whats with everyone's faces on the cover?

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'd like to read this but I can't swing another $3.99 title and I havent read Secret Avengers since Remender's run. Sure I'd be more than a little lost.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3 the_stegman  Moderator

I didn't like the first arc of Secret Avengers, so I'll pass on this.

CaptainHoopla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is it wrong that I was hoping this would get a one star review? Seriously, my comic book budget is so overtapped already. Oh well, I'll probably check it out and feed the family ramen noodles for dinner. You're killing me Marvel.

GrenadeFlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind that this is relaunching its better than it just ending. I can't wait to pick this up tomorrow.

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

Does Tradd Moore do just the cover art or the internal art as well?

Cap10nate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

I loved the previous volume. I wish that it wasn't so hastily wrapped up once Spencer got the Avengers World job. I felt like there were a lot of items that were meant to be have a larger role like Bucky/Daisy and the Ministers that were cut short to get the revamp.

ZbvmX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Knew it. lol

Can't wait to read this on Sat.

consafo80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Gonna give it a go but kinda hope I hate it. My pull list is ridiculous thanks to All-New Marvel Now.

micah007123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its settled, just made my pull list

Maddpanda531

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@captainhoopla: Dude, I feel literally the exact same way. It's hard to say "No" to so many promising new releases.

Ando123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Ando123

I gonna try this,.

Avatar image for themantisshrimp
    TheMantisShrimp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By TheMantisShrimp

I want to trade wait this but I'm afraid it will get cancelled if not enough people buy the issues. I just got the first trade of the last volume and liked it so far. Plus MODOK is playing a larger role, how can I say no? My pull is big enough as it is and I still want to check out the Electra and Silver Surfer solos.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By JakeN7

@longbowhunter: Why do you think you'd be lost? The two books have nothing to do with eachother. This is the 2nd #1 in over a year. This is as new-reader friendly as it gets.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Because I know Kot co-wrote the last arc in vol. 2 and Tony clearly states this issue follows up on those previous threads. So no, it's not as new reader friendly as it gets.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That's the one thing I wanted to hear. I didn't want this to feel like all the other Avengers books which is the reason why I dropped Mighty Avengers and Avengers World. I'm so excited about this I'm actually going to the store and getting a physical copy and not the digital one.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

fables87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By longbowhunter

@fables87: I love Tradd Moore. He did my favorite issue of Zero with Kot.

MixMastaMicah5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#21  Edited By MixMastaMicah5

My wallet achesssss....

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

meh gonna skip it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: it's pretty new-reader friendly. The things carrying over are minor things like the group existing and Maria Hill's role. Plus MODOK from the last series. It doesn't ignore what happened before but it's not essential either.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@g_man: Good to know. It looks awesome.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By JakeN7

@longbowhunter: Well I didn't read the last volume, but I'm going to go ahead and read this one if it's alright with you. Lol

Sounds like G-Man cleared things up a bit, are you planning on picking it up now by any chance?

Oh, and to clarify my original statement, I meant Remender's run had nothing to do with these past two volumes. So just because you haven't read since then, shouldn't matter in the long run. What year was that anyways? Just curious.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Remender's run ended in 2012. Nick Spencer started vol. 2 off with a fresh start later that year I believe. Each new writer does their own take on the team and each run kinda stands on its own. Except in this instance, but Tony seems to think its an ok jumping on point. It's a light week for me so I may pick this up. Ales Kot and Michael Walsh are a creative team that's hard to ignore.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@longbowhunter: Yeah, the preview pages really reminded me of David Aja's work on Hawguy, right down to Clint's face bandages.

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Actually, that's the thing that has me most curious. Fraction's Hawkeye and Avengers Hawkeye are like two different characters. I wanna see if they successfully work Hawkguy into an Avengers team. I think it could work well in this setting.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Iridium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

It's sad how long standing comic book readers/writers have embraced "Nick Fury, Jr."

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By Novemberx2

has any issue 1 in the whole MARVELNOW! or ALLNEWMARVELNOW! MARVELNOWER gimmick ever not been given 5 stars?

Novemberx2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@iridium: well we have no choice... we will always have to remember the time Marvel hamfisted this guy into the universe.

Just whole concept that he was un-experienced and now suddenly is a super spy is mind boggling. If they had just had Ultimate Nick Fury travel and stay in the normal marvel universe it would of made more sense.

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Paste_Pot_Pete

Hmm, I think I'll buy the first issue. That cover is mainly what stopped me.

daredevil21134

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#35  Edited By daredevil21134

I picked up the first issue and I didn't like it so i'll pass on the rest of the series. Can't stand the way Hawkeye is being written these days

Avatar image for gothicshieldagent
    gothicshieldagent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Thanks Marvel,got the previous Secret Avengers #1 and #2 not long ago! How do any of us keep up?

Iridium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Iridium

@novemberx2: I hear ya and quite agree. However we do have a choice. I think it is just indicative of the snowballing nonsense that Marvel is allowing to happen to their print medium. I exercise my choice by spending my money else where.

Hopefully, someday, they will turn it back around ...

Avatar image for FeedOnATreeFrog
    feedonatreefrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By feedonatreefrog

I can't stand this kind of cutesy 'clever' tone.

vascillator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Maybe it's not a bad book but compared to the awesome last Secret Avengers arc with Spencer, it comes across like some kind of persiflage. Too many jokes and too whacky art for my taste.

sparty-dbq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

It's getting kind of ridiculous how incompetent they need to make SHIELD look in order to make all the threats in all the different books look viable. That guy should've never passed a background check or psych eval of any kind.

HumanRocket

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

That will be three times now that Clint has been nude in comics recently...well 3 and half if you want to count Hawkeye issue 16.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#43 owie  Moderator

It was enjoyable, and I like Walsh. But I agree with those who have commented that there is a bit of a trend at Marvel now to have jokey writing and loose pencils, as in Hawkeye and Foes of Superior Spider-Man. Both those books are great, I'm not knocking them. But I do wonder how much more of a need there is for books like that.

rac_shade

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Loved this issue, Kot & Walsh do an exemplary job on the writing and art, can't wait for more. Nice to see an Avengers team with no heavy hitters on board, loved the general tone of the book, adding to my pull list.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.