theannihilator's Secret Avengers #26 - Operation Phoenix review

My Favorite Tie-In Thus Far

I really didn't expect much from this issue. I was set on the opinion that all of the Avengers vs. X-Men tie-ins would be mediocre at best, especially on the Avenger's side after Avengers 25. I thought that this one could be slightly better than the rest since it is Remender and it takes place IN SPAAACE.

The writing itself was very good. Remender shows that the Avengers actually have a plan and aren't going to hit a giant fiery space bird with a hammer. The characters were handled well. I very much enjoyed the focus of Beast in this issue. He's one of my favorite characters and tied for my favorite X-Man, so I was glad to see Remender showed us his important role in the Avengers and why he sided with them. Captain Britain's aspects of this issue were nice too, and I'll stop this by saying everyone else's was too.

Now the art. I really, really, liked the art. I don't think I've ever seen Guedes' art before, but I must say he does excellent work. I loved the way he drew Beast, Captain Britain, and Vision. He handled character's emotions excellently and gave the comic a nice sci-fi vibe with the art.

Final Thoughts

I'm looking forward to the rest of this tie-in arc. I like every character on the team and I'm interested to see where the plot goes from here. The Avenger's plan finally being explained (at least a little bit) was a nice touch and with Beast's role in it, I'm not sure the ignorance card can be pulled with the same impact against the Avengers in this debate. I'm a sucker for Marvel Cosmic stories, especially if I care about the characters, so I enjoyed this issue a lot.

Posted by longbowhunter

I really loved this issue. Beast is also one of my two favorite X-Men and a big reason I continue to buy Secret Avengers. Him taking the led in Hawkeye's absence was a smart move by Remender. I loved the scene when Hank royally reams Captain Britain. I'm not familiar with Renato Guedes, but he's definitely on my radar now. His line work was stellar, especially on character's hair. The Kree subplot was a nice twist too. Glad someone else enjoyed this as much as I did.

Edited by Daycrawler

@longbowhunter said:

You guys should both check out Guedes work on recent arcs in Wolverine. He did the initial "Wolverine Goes to Hell" arc as well as the later "Wolverine's Revenge" arc. It's all written by Jason Aaron and good fun. Guedes draws an awsome Hulk in the Revenge arc!