inferiorego's Secret Avengers #13 - Fear Itself, Pt. 2: The Beast review

• inferiorego wrote this review on .
  • inferiorego has written a total of 318 reviews. The last one was for

The Lincoln Monument is Pretty Angry

The Lincoln Monument stands up and punches a mech driven by a Nazi. Much more than this happened in issue 13 of Secret Avengers, but that's all that I can think about right now.

The Good

First thing's first. In this issue, there was a scene, which is totally my favorite of the year so far, where the statue of Abraham Lincoln gets out of his seat and punches a mech driven by a Nazi. In context, it's just as awesome. I'm not going to tell you why or how this happens, but trust me, it's the coolest scene in comics this week, if you love Lincoln. Then there's some dinosaurs, Native Americans, and George Washington. By this point, you've probably stopped reading this review, and you're on your way to buy the book. I'm sure of it, but I'll continue nevertheless.

This is Nick Spencer's second issue on the book. He previously wrote issue 12.1, and I really enjoyed what he brought to this issue. There's a perfect mixture of action and drama within the issue, and it's nice to see an issue of this book primarily about Beast. Yes, this is a tie-in to the Fear Itself storyline, but it's not a necessary read, but it is a good one.

I'm loving the art team of Scot Eaton (pencils), Jaime Mendoza and Rick Ketcham (inks), and Frank D'Armata (colors). They bring a very dynamic art style to a very dynamic team. Hands down, the best art on a book this week. The panel composition and set-up are just like every other mainstream book, but you don't need anything fancy when the art looks this good.

The Bad

Who doesn't know who Beast is? He's an X-Men member, an Avenger, and a public figure. Why is someone asking if he's the Beast? Sure, it could be common courtesy, but it's a pretty dumb question. Don't know why, but that one piece of dialogue annoyed the heck out of me.

Tie-ins don't have to suck, and they don't have to be parts of a storyline that divulge crucial pieces of information. All they really should do is show the events in that world taking place through another person's eyes, and this is a great example of that. The writing and art are fantastic, and we get to see a side of Beast that we all know about yet rarely see in the comics anymore. Plus, did I mention Lincoln punches a Nazi? I highly recommend this issue, even if you're not reading Fear Itself. Secret Avengers has been a great book since issue one, and it's really picking up heat now.

Edited by Fantasgasmic

Not to be a nitpicker, but as a DC resident I feel inclined to point out... it's the Lincoln Memorial, not Monument. I have the sneaking suspicion the word "memorial" refers to the ancient greek style, doric columned building, rather than the 30 foot tall statue of Lincoln himself, but it's definitely not called a monument. (There is a Lincoln Monument in Illinois, but it's a bronze statue of the former president as a young man, pre-beard.)

Posted by longbowhunter

I really didnt like this issue. I fail to see how reading a speech and letting yourself get blown up on live TV is going to help the situation. Now that guy's bill will never get passed.
Posted by Sobe Cin
@longbowhunter said:

Thank's for your opion bub, I may not read Secret Avengers, but reading about Beast everyonce in a while is always worth it's time. It was a really well written story. And damn if it didn't hit on what's going on in our own day and age.
Posted by JonesDeini

Well sounds like Mr. Spencer is going to be just fine on this title.

Edited by hitechlolife

I really dug it but the ending didn't make a good deal of sense. Beast just lets his friend die?

Posted by sparty-dbq

I stuck on the page of the Lincoln Memorial for about a good 3 minutes, repeating to myself "What the ****" every 30 seconds or so the whole time.

Posted by inferiorego

@Fantasgasmic said:

Not to be a nitpicker, but as a DC resident I feel inclined to point out... it's the Lincoln Memorial, not Monument. I have the sneaking suspicion the word "memorial" refers to the ancient greek style, doric columned building, rather than the 30 foot tall statue of Lincoln himself, but it's definitely not called a monument. (There is a Lincoln Monument in Illinois, but it's a bronze statue of the former president as a young man, pre-beard.) edit- after reading the synopsis, I feel compelled to buy this book if for no other reason than hometown pride. I wonder if Lincoln grabs the giant flaming sword from the 2nd Division memorial. I'd love to see the statue of Freedom Triumphant comes down of the Capitol Dome, or soldiers from the Korean War Memorial get animated to defend the District with the Iwo Jima soldiers crossing the Potomac from the Marine Corps memorial in Arlington. Even the Joan of Arc statue from Meridian Hill Park could be cool. Heck, I'd like it if the the FDR memorial came to life and proclaimed "I hate war, but I REALLY hate Nazis"

I'm the worst Illinois resident ever

Staff
Posted by CombatSpoon86

Sounds cool, but I jumped of a Sav bc I wasn't enjoying it. I'll check out Spencer's run in trade, but I am interested in what Warren Ellis has in store after this fear itself tie in

Posted by xkoenig

I liked this issue. It was a brave choice by Nick Spencer to have it take the focus totally away from a terrifying battle to a quiet moment behind the scenes, but he is such a good writer that he pulled it off. It's a shame he's only got another 2 issues left. Next up will be a Valkyrie story - I'm sure it will kick ass!!