Follow

Second Coming

Story arc »

The third part of the Messiah Trilogy cross-over stories that started in Messiah CompleX & continued in Messiah War. Second Coming heralds the long-awaited return of Hope Summers & Cable to the present day.

Unscripted Review: New Mutants #14

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By Gylan Thomas

X-men is one of the many things I once loved that is makin' me think I'm outgrowing comics :(

Tavai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By Tavai

Ack, poor Colossus. Dead again. What is he the new Jean Grey?.    

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By kerukun878
    @Tavai: Colossus doesn't die.. His arm is injured.
    Tavai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Tavai
    @kerukun878:  oops my bad! must've heard wrong then. good. haven't picked it up yet obviously.
    Amircat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By Amircat

What do you expect Hope to do, look who her role model is? Cable. :p

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By The Sadhu

My heart sank when you said Colossus died! 

My work mates are looking at me all weird now because I dropped to my knees and cried out "COLOSSUS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

Thankfully it's not true thou! What a cruel trick from G-Man and Babs! Because of that I give this review a 2!

cosmic master

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By cosmic master

Ah can't say I've ever really been a big Xmen fan other than the 90s cartoon lol. Doubt I'm gonna bother picking this up 
    Also I've noticed you guys seem to be reviewing a lot of the different Xmen comics lately...

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By kerukun878
    @Tavai: Actually, they DO say he dies, but another source says his arm is injured.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#9  Edited By doordoor123
    @The Sadhu said:
    " My heart sank when you said Colossus died!  My work mates are looking at me all weird now because I dropped to my knees and cried out "COLOSSUS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Thankfully it's not true thou! What a cruel trick from G-Man and Babs! Because of that I give this review a 2! "

The Sadhu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By The Sadhu
    @doordoor123 said:
    " @The Sadhu said:
    " My heart sank when you said Colossus died!  My work mates are looking at me all weird now because I dropped to my knees and cried out "COLOSSUS NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!" Thankfully it's not true thou! What a cruel trick from G-Man and Babs! Because of that I give this review a 2! "

I think youre mistaken because he didnt die. He was just injured. Someone also said this earlier but you posted before reading it. :) glad to be of service.
    "

I know he didn't die... thats why I added..."Thankfully it's not true! 
    But thanks for the help anyway!
    Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

G-Man I want your T-Shirt!

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By LP
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " X-men is one of the many things I once loved that is makin' me think I'm outgrowing comics :( "
    That is the saddest comment I've ever seen regarding comics.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @LP: 
    Imagine how I feel?
    Seeing an evil tractor introduced in one of Morrison's Batman issues was just a turning point for me.

I'm sticking around though.
    Maybe I should've said I'm outgrowing superheroes instead of comics.
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#14  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I noticed that in the variant cover for this issue that Rogue looks so young she looks more like a teenager.

It doesn't bother me so much that Hope would go for a gun. That's what she saw Cable using so much. Now, Cable isn't there. She's probably using what she thinks Cable would use.

I know Cypher doesn't have the best power, but I'd love to have it. It would be pretty damn cool to be able to know every language. The same for being able to read any language. That would be awesome to be able to read the ancient writing on old ruins.
    Having someone on your team that can break codes is a powerful tool. Most foreign languages are basically codes that you don't understand yet.

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#15  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

G-Man? You're a dad? 
    "Me and My Daughter"

And Legion FTW! 
    But seriously, Colossus isn't caput. Bad bad bad.

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By kerukun878
    @KumoriKunoichi: L'il G-Girl.
    Dipic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Dipic
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " X-men is one of the many things I once loved that is makin' me think I'm outgrowing comics :( "
    Just out of curiousity, why do you feel that way? Can you elaborate a bit (maybe give a couple examples and explain why), if you don't mind? Just genuinely curious.
    Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#18  Edited By Comiclove5
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @LP:  Imagine how I feel? Seeing an evil tractor introduced in one of Morrison's Batman issues was just a turning point for me.  I'm sticking around though. Maybe I should've said I'm outgrowing superheroes instead of comics."

They're is no such thing, you don't outgrow comics you just start reading different types of comics.
    Hawkling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Hawkling

Loved the Boom Boom, Avalanche, Sunspot, husk scene. It's cool seeing the small squads all over the island protecting it, even the villains where toad's finger gets blown off was a good scene.

BOSSTOAD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By BOSSTOAD

Babs was acting funny in the end of this.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#21  Edited By sora_thekey
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    "I noticed that in the variant cover for this issue that Rogue looks so young she looks more like a teenager."

After a while of watching the cover I was thinking; who does Rouge look like?!?!... and after a while I figured it our: Kate Hudson (>>) 

Anyways... I haven't read this issue, but nevertheless filler or not Second Comming has been amazing as a whole so yeah! 
    Xion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Xion
    @cosmic master: is cause its the X-men event 2nd coming. And every issue of Xmen (X-force, X Legacy, etc) are all chapters to the story :)
    00 Raiser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By 00 Raiser

Wow G Man you totally just messed me up for a hot second with that whole Colossus statement. LOL then kerukun878 totally saves my sanity.

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By LP
    @Gylan Thomas: Yeah I know what you mean. It's just... it's sad to me because of the way these types of comics have become so tired and worn. I always roll my eyes when I see a new "earth-shattering event" about to take place in the X-Men and Spider-Man comics. Nowadays (no offense and I know it's not true for EVERY hero comic) I feel like the writers aren't even trying to come up with something truly exciting and original, or at least, have them stick instead of retconning it as soon as the next fanboy writer jumps on... that kinda stuff, you know what I mean?
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#25  Edited By FoxxFireArt
    @sora_thekey:  
    I wasn't talking about the cover shown in this review. I'm talking about the variant with Legion on the cover. On that one Rogue looks like a teen girl.
    zedmanovic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zedmanovic
    @Hawkling said:

" Loved the Boom Boom, Avalanche, Sunspot, husk scene. It's cool seeing the small squads all over the island protecting it, even the villains where toad's finger gets blown off was a good scene. "

Sunspot and Boom Boom side by side once more... 
    just wished Husk would stick to her adamantium-morph -- or carbonadium since it's more "flexible" -- instead of a more tangible layer... she tried to mimic Magma in this issue i guess ^_^
    oh! almost forgot an important scene -- Toad loses a finger! Colossus is old news! jk! =P
    Tavai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Tavai
    @kerukun878:  Indeed you are correct again my friend, watched it again. Ugh, curse my gullibility.
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#28  Edited By gmanfromheck
    Namor1987

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 9

#29  Edited By Namor1987

Awesome issue loved the Avalanche scene

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @Comiclove5 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @LP:  Imagine how I feel? Seeing an evil tractor introduced in one of Morrison's Batman issues was just a turning point for me.  I'm sticking around though. Maybe I should've said I'm outgrowing superheroes instead of comics."
    They're is no such thing, you don't outgrow comics you just start reading different types of comics. "
    I'm sure some folks feel they've outgrown comics.

@Dipic said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    Just out of curiousity, why do you feel that way? Can you elaborate a bit (maybe give a couple examples and explain why), if you don't mind? Just genuinely curious. "
    I don't mind at all :D
    I'm a grumpy old man.
    See I've been reading comics for a long time and in the last few years or maybe even close to a decade now they've lost some thing.
    Creators don't commit to characters or series. They come along and decide they're going to shake everything up, kill someone then move on to something else. These days we're lucky if an artist go six months without a fill in.
     The stories lack depth and don't feel as though there's no real character developement anymore. Every thing feels as though it's geared towards the next TPB or "event" story line. Even the events lack any real kick now. It's all been done to death.

I could go into more detail but I'm headed out into the sunshine. I've been spendin' way too much time online.
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @LP said:
    " @Gylan Thomas: Yeah I know what you mean. It's just... it's sad to me because of the way these types of comics have become so tired and worn. I always roll my eyes when I see a new "earth-shattering event" about to take place in the X-Men and Spider-Man comics. Nowadays (no offense and I know it's not true for EVERY hero comic) I feel like the writers aren't even trying to come up with something truly exciting and original, or at least, have them stick instead of retconning it as soon as the next fanboy writer jumps on... that kinda stuff, you know what I mean? "
    It get's frustrating for us fanboys huh? 
    For example....
    All the Brand New Day and One More Day stuff and now they're puttin' Pete and MJ together again? What's the big deal with MJ anyway? Can't remember the last time she was written in any kind of appealing way. 
    If I was Pete? I'd go for Norah :D

And don't even get me started on the annual DC retcon's or the pointless death/ rebirth cycle.
    LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By LP
    @Gylan Thomas: The last time Mary Jane was written well - was the first appearance. LOL
    But then of course, we found out that she was slutty party girl; but that worked for her, what was bad was when JMS comes along and decides to make her a secret agent with a "dark past". *sigh*

@FoxxFireArt said:
    " @sora_thekey:   I wasn't talking about the cover shown in this review. I'm talking about the variant with Legion on the cover. On that one Rogue looks like a teen girl. "

That's the worst cover from Adi I've seen I IMO, and I usually love his covers.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#33  Edited By sora_thekey
    @FoxxFireArt said:
    " @sora_thekey:   I wasn't talking about the cover shown in this review. I'm talking about the variant with Legion on the cover. On that one Rogue looks like a teen girl. "
    Oh my bad... you meant the Finch variant... still the other one bothered me because it was Kate Hudson's face on Rogue!
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By goldenkey
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @Comiclove5 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    They're is no such thing, you don't outgrow comics you just start reading different types of comics. "

@Dipic said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    Just out of curiousity, why do you feel that way? Can you elaborate a bit (maybe give a couple examples and explain why), if you don't mind? Just genuinely curious. "
    I don't mind at all :D I'm a grumpy old man. See I've been reading comics for a long time and in the last few years or maybe even close to a decade now they've lost some thing. Creators don't commit to characters or series. They come along and decide they're going to shake everything up, kill someone then move on to something else. These days we're lucky if an artist go six months without a fill in. The stories lack depth and don't feel as though there's no real character developement anymore. Every thing feels as though it's geared towards the next TPB or "event" story line. Even the events lack any real kick now. It's all been done to death. I could go into more detail but I'm headed out into the sunshine. I've been spendin' way too much time online. "
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By goldenkey
    @Gylan Thomas said:
    " @Comiclove5 said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:

@Dipic said:
    " @Gylan Thomas said:
    I don't mind at all :D I'm a grumpy old man. See I've been reading comics for a long time and in the last few years or maybe even close to a decade now they've lost some thing. Creators don't commit to characters or series. They come along and decide they're going to shake everything up, kill someone then move on to something else. These days we're lucky if an artist go six months without a fill in. The stories lack depth and don't feel as though there's no real character developement anymore. Every thing feels as though it's geared towards the next TPB or "event" story line. Even the events lack any real kick now. It's all been done to death. I could go into more detail but I'm headed out into the sunshine. I've been spendin' way too much time online. "

I actually agree with you on lot of these points, but I think it's more related to certain titles.  I haven't read the X-Men in a looooong time because of the particular reasons you're talking about.  Wheddons run on Astonishing was good beacause he stayed on it for awhile.   Bendis is an exception because he stays with books for a long time and Geoff Johns does also.  I wish Millar would stay with some of his titles, I am so glad he's back in the Ultimate world, because once he lef the whole world got so shitty they had to turn the world upside down just to get people back, and they did, they had Magneto move it and kill have the world.  The market is to flooded with illustrater talent and I wish some artists would stay with some books longe like Bagley did with Bendis.  The X-men titles drove me crazy doing that after Lee left.  Good points tho. 
    Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gylan Thomas
    @LP: 
    When was Maryu Jane a secret agent with a dark past dude?
    What did I miss?
    kaanonm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37  Edited By kaanonm

What?! How could you rate this issue lower than last issue. We found out why they wanted to use Legion. The team in the future actually accomplishes something. The line at the end "I will attend to our enemies" was awesome. They finally showed the Nimrod's being a big deal (i don't remember anyone hurting colossus like that, certainly not for a long time) We even got to see characters that you don't see too much (Boom Boom, Sunspot, Toad, Avalance, Husk).  I rate this a 4.5, the last issue was drivel.

BTW, sunspot is so much better than cannonball. "We will hold this tunnel!"

NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By NXH
    @sora_thekey said:
    "@FoxxFireArt said:
    "I noticed that in the variant cover for this issue that Rogue looks so young she looks more like a teenager."

After a while of watching the cover I was thinking; who does Rouge look like?!?!... and after a while I figured it our: Kate Hudson (>>)  Anyways... I haven't read this issue, but nevertheless filler or not Second Comming has been amazing as a whole so yeah!  "

Haha! oooh yeah...
    NXH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By NXH

So, not a good issue then, huh?

Korg

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Korg
    @NXH said:
    " So, not a good issue then, huh? "
    It was a good issue, especially if you are reading all of Second Coming, and not just New Mutants.
    ManuelPrez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#41  Edited By ManuelPrez

rogue looks like olivia wilde from house

Peevo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Peevo

Love the issue, but Legion isn't wearing the bunny slippers on Golden Gate =(

Even though it means he will die sooner, I REALLY want to see the limits of Gentle's strength next chapter! Husk needs to be a regular in one of the books and I really wish Chamber was inside the clown nose with everyone. I wouldn't need an explanation, honest! lol

Shadowdoggy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Shadowdoggy

am I the only one who thinks that Rogue on the cover looks like Morgan Webb from G4?
    bacchusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By bacchusV2

i hate these 'vanity-ish' covers....ugh!!! bad, bad, bad!

Aspenite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

User Lists: 3

#45  Edited By Aspenite

Oh, how I´m loving Hope! I actually found it really cool how she stood there with her weapon.

uncanny89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#46  Edited By uncanny89
    @bacchus:   i liked the x-force ones, and the uncanny 525 one but im not a fan of the most recent new mutant cover it seems too posed
    bacchusV2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By bacchusV2
    @uncanny89: the covers to x-force are always done with...substance...and not just flat out style. which is why i think these too posed covers are a little bit too forced.
    Avatar image for boston_brand_of_earth
    Boston Brand of Earth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I hope that no more mutants will bite the dust protecting Hope.

X-23_2513

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By X-23_2513

i like how they showed x-force in it

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.