Follow

Second Coming

Story arc »

The third part of the Messiah Trilogy cross-over stories that started in Messiah CompleX & continued in Messiah War. Second Coming heralds the long-awaited return of Hope Summers & Cable to the present day.

Second Coming Discussion Thread

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 4

#101  Edited By John Valentine
    @Lokheit said:
    " @John Valentine:  In that issue he wasn't really atacking them, he was distracting them so the High Evo could steal the artifact from the celestial and help him restore his powers. Then, after the events of Utopia, he sees how strong Scott's leadership is now, and decides to join him and "let the new generation take the lead" 
    "
    He picks up Colossus and chucks him into the sky, through a window, for him to fall the ground. He then switches on two nearby Sentinels, before yelling "Sentinels, attack!". These Sentinels then go on a rampage.. blah.. blah. 
    The X-Men eventually confront Magneto, they exchange speech, Magneto then punches Kurt in the face, battles Cyclops (blocking his optic blasts), Beast, Storm and Nightcrawler, before Cannonball comes on scene to wreck his suit.  
    In fact, Cyclops and Magneto then exchange heated words, ending in Magneto criticising Scott's/The X-Men's actions. 

If that does not count as an attack, what does? It's irrelevant why he did it, he still attacked them.  
    Haha, he even totally slates Scott, but within fifteen issues he's ready to bow before him? No.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#102  Edited By Erik
    @John Valentine said:
    " @JoeRiccadonna said:
    " I thought the issue was great. I loved how people are finally noticing the difference in personalities with characters like Wolverine, X-23, and Angel. And what's the deal with Hope? In one comic she looks like a 12 year old and in another she looks like a 16 year old, what the hell is she??? "
    I believe Hope is around sixteen years of age.  "
    She was 13 when she and Cable escaped from the brood. I have not read any Cable issues since that though so I do not know if she has aged since then. 
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#103  Edited By Calix

I too thought Second Coming #1 was a nice first shot, I however dread reading Uncanny X #523 thou cause Fraction is just bound to really mess with the flow of everything.

@erik:  she's supposed to be around 16 going on 17 in the last issue where they finally took Bishop out of his (my) missery.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#104  Edited By Erik
    @Calix said:
    "  I too thought Second Coming #1 was a nice first shot, I however dread reading Uncanny X #523 thou cause Fraction is just bound to really mess with the flow of everything.

@erik:  she's supposed to be around 16 going on 17 in the last issue where they finally took Bishop out of his (my) missery.   "
    Can you reference the issue that suggests the passing of 3 - 4 years since the brood? 
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#105  Edited By Calix
    @erik: hang on

Edited: At the end of that brood issue (#20) when they were in the escape pods they were traveling for two years thru space. Issue (#21) begins stating the same its been 2 years since they have been traveling and Cable even comments on that he/they weren't supposed to be aware of that two year passing.
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#106  Edited By Erik
    @Calix said:

" @erik: hang on

Edited: At the end of that brood issue (#20) when they were in the escape pods they were traveling for two years thru space. Issue (#21) begins stating the same its been 2 years since they have been traveling and Cable even comments on that he/they weren't supposed to be aware of that two year passing. "

When they spent 2 years in space, she was in suspended animation. As is no aging. So while she may have been alive for 15 years, her body is still 13 years old at the time when she woke from suspended animation. 
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#107  Edited By Calix
    @erik: yes that's what I said uhm... 

No Caption Provided

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#108  Edited By Erik
    @Calix:  
    Right. So she is not 15 physically, only 13. So that takes care of 2 years. What about the other 2 in question? You said 16 - 17. 
    John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#109  Edited By John Valentine
    @erik said:
    " @Calix:  Right. So she is not 15 physically, only 13. So that takes care of 2 years. What about the other 2 in question? You said 16 - 17.  "
    She could quite easily be fifteen.  
    Where does it say they were in suspended animation? It mentions dream-like stasis which is different - the life pod still supports all autonomic bodily functions, I would assume.  
    Surely she'd age when in this dream-like stasis?   

I've seen the figure of sixteen mentioned before in relation to Hope. I'll try to find it. I think it was in a DS interview. 
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#110  Edited By Erik
    @John Valentine said:
    " @erik said:
    " @Calix:  Right. So she is not 15 physically, only 13. So that takes care of 2 years. What about the other 2 in question? You said 16 - 17.  "
    She could quite easily be fifteen.  Where does it say they were in suspended animation? It mentions dream-like stasis which is different - the life pod still supports all autonomic bodily functions, I would assume.  Surely she'd age when in this dream-like stasis?   I've seen the figure of sixteen mentioned before in relation to Hope. I'll try to find it. I think it was in a DS interview.  "
    Thanks. That would be very helpful. It is traditionally accepted in sci-fi that stasis or suspended animation ceases aging while doing long or dangerous traveling. I do not know why they would age 2 years physically but Cable manages to keep that 3 day scruff for 2 years. 
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#111  Edited By Calix

@erik:  technically at the opening of Issue (# 18) it indicates that Cable has been protecting Hope for nearly 15 years making her almost 15 or 14 as I counted it.
    I then added the two years because of the half-dream state they were in Iat the beginning of ssue (#21)  

It however was Issue (#22) where it states that Hope was now 17 is where I got her age from age.

No Caption Provided

I agree with your 3 day (thou in his case likely half-a-day) scruff
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#112  Edited By Erik
    @Calix said:
    "  @erik:  technically at the opening of Issue (# 18) it indicates that Cable has been protecting Hope for nearly 15 years making her almost 15 or 14 as I counted it.
    I then added the two years because of the half-dream state they were in Iat the beginning of ssue (#21)  

It however was Issue (#22) where it states that Hope was now 17 is where I got her age from age.

No Caption Provided
          "
    Okay she is 17 then. But an argument can still be made to place her physically at 15 because of the suspended animation. 
    Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#113  Edited By Calix
    @erik: Cute
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#114  Edited By Lokheit
    @John Valentine said:    
    "

He picks up Colossus and chucks him into the sky, through a window, for him to fall the ground. He then switches on two nearby Sentinels, before yelling "Sentinels, attack!". These Sentinels then go on a rampage.. blah.. blah. The X-Men eventually confront Magneto, they exchange speech, Magneto then punches Kurt in the face, battles Cyclops (blocking his optic blasts), Beast, Storm and Nightcrawler, before Cannonball comes on scene to wreck his suit.  In fact, Cyclops and Magneto then exchange heated words, ending in Magneto criticising Scott's/The X-Men's actions.  If that does not count as an attack, what does? It's irrelevant why he did it, he still attacked them.  Haha, he even totally slates Scott, but within fifteen issues he's ready to bow before him? No. "

If you want to distract the x-men, you have to try to beat them all, or they will stomp you (this is why osborn's couldn't win in utopia, he couldn't afford to kill them in front of the chameras). Magneto's primary objective wasn't the x-men, in fact once the job was done he teleported away, and is true he had hard words with scott, but after utopia events, Scott has accomplished something that neither Magento or Xavier managed to do, and this is the reason of the change of attitude of magneto that now respects Scott (or at least he acts like he respects him). 

About the main topic, I'm starting to think that the rumours about Kurt's dead might be possible.  

Avatar image for crimsonspider89
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#115  Edited By crimsonspider89
    @Lokheit:  Looks like it will be Cable from a June solicitation which shows him on the cover with a wall falling on him and the issue is the one where a X-Man dies. 
    Lokheit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#116  Edited By Lokheit
    @crimsonspider89: Yes, I tough Cable will be the one to die, it makes lot of sense due to his age and the fact that he is like the father of hope and would sacrifice himself to protect her (I theorized in other thread that Cable's sacrifice would be what finally trigger the dark side of the phoenix in the girl and she would go on a rampage because she loose her father), and I though there will be only one x-men death (the same that sacrifice himself would be the same that dead) but now I'm starting to have doubts about the possibility of a second death (not by sacrifice) and that it would be Kurt... but as I said, I hope they realize they could sell more with him in the comic ^^, they would sell even more wolverine comics if he makes cameos eventually as his best friend lol.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#117  Edited By xerox_kitty

I don't know who wrote this on the Second Coming page, but I suggest that they stop and actually READ THE ISSUE before they make any more hideous mistakes.

No Caption Provided
    Aside from adding links where links don't need to be added, and adding this where it isn't necessary (the issues are listed below for a reason)... 

Forge?!  Who thinks that it's Forge that's been travelling through time hunting Cable & Hope?  It's Bishop!  And he's got nothing to do with this issue. 

And... HAMMER robots?  Since when did the Hammer paint smile faces on their armoured troops?  They're from The Right.  With roots as far back as the original 1980's X-Factor (not Dark Reign's attempts to corrupt SHIELD), the Right is the armoured corps of mutant hating humans headed by Cameron Hodge & is connected to the amputation of Angel's wings and the death of Cypher. 

</rant> This is a serious case of face+palm.
    ninjadude853

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 7

#118  Edited By ninjadude853

has anyone seen this yet?
     http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.11904.one_of_these_x-men_will_die 
     my moneys on nightcrawler

KumoriKunoichi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 9

#119  Edited By KumoriKunoichi

Cyclops should die, I really want him to.

I think a change of leadership will be so much more interesting. Scott is way too angsty.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#120  Edited By Grendel

I really wish Marvel made action figures for their big crossovers like DC does.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#121  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @ninjadude853 said:
    "has anyone seen this yet?  http://marvel.com/news/comicstories.11904.one_of_these_x-men_will_die   my moneys on nightcrawler "

Um... maybe? ;p
    Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

found this bit of ridiculousness in Wizard Magazine

No Caption Provided

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#123  Edited By Grendel

I know some of you despise Fraction, but the second chapter was really good. Bastion was a little hammy but that's such a minor quibble.

defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

UXM was decent. Fraction deals well in tech heavy action stuff.
    I like the pacing in Second Coming so far. some questionable stuff.
    like why would Cable in all his wisdom expose himself by robbing 
    a convenience store when he knows theyre being tracked?  I partly
    understand but i dont see him being that sloppy going about it. 
    otherwise a good set-up there.

@Grendel:
    yeah, and Bastion. i dont really think bad puns suit him very well.

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#125  Edited By Grendel

That's a good point about the robbery. Sort of takes away from that hotel room "bonding moment" between them when there was a few corpses strewn around a tied-up bunch of security guards.

Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#126  Edited By Calix
    @Grendel said:
    " That's a good point about the robbery. Sort of takes away from that hotel room "bonding moment" between them when there was a few corpses strewn around a tied-up bunch of security guards. "

I trully have come to detest Fraction's X-men "works" to the point that I considered skipping chapter 2 when I saw that he alone penned it. but I agree that it was one of his better X-story.  
    What I didn't get either was the robbery I mean this is still Cable and if he could have a storage room stocked away with that much firepower I don't see why he wouldn't have some cash stored unless he wanted to be "spotted"which is very unlikely  when you think of how Cable normallly operates.
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Grendel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#129  Edited By Grendel

I hope that's a good moment as well. I thought for sure he was going to factor into Necrosha during the raid. So far his resurrection remains boring and unexplained. Especially since at the end of AOA the implication was that he never existed.

Calix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#132  Edited By Calix

I think in regards to which X-men will die, it will be either Magik, Frost or Iceman. 
    Cable is too on the nose. Colosus is back from the dead after dying during another X cross-over. Nightcrawler while likely isn't going to be it either because I believe of all the X-men he will be the one most in Scott's face about his recent actions.
    Magik 2.0 however still has something going with the New Mutants in terms of story and she only recently. "Wings" & Iceman have sort of been downgraded to B-list X-men and aren't really in the thick of things but are still one of the original Five thus give the appropriate "shockvalue". 
    Emma's death however would reverbarate the most because of how at the center of things she has been and it would destablize Scott "yet" again after losing another of his main loves if not THE love of his life. Making room for several story directions to go for the X-men. 

I however think it will be eitehr Angel or Iceman to kick the bucket.

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#133  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @Calix: Sorry, but it's not Magik in the poster.  It's Magma (similar, but slightly different hair... more reason to give them personalised uniforms ;)
    Avatar image for squiresmadnessmachine
    squiresmadnessmachine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

i am callin it 
    jean will come back as the phoenix 
    hope will be the new host so that jean can be normal again 
    hope will end up being some sort of tool used by sinister, apocolypse, magneto or who ever 
    it will set up a huge event where jean will have to take the phoenix back and die again  
    why is this so predictable  
    do something new something exciting KILL OFF CYCLOPS  
    thats all i have wanted from the x-men for 15 years get rid of the problem charater
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

Well, my guess is that one female DEFINITELY will die. I hope it is not Magik.
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#138  Edited By kerukun878

http://i.newsarama.com/images/150_x_men__hellbound_2_02.jpg

It's obvious that Magma, Pixie and Gambit are in this cover.. But.. The other two stump me. The big guy in the foreground, is that Warpath? Or Kurt? And is that Deadpool by pixies left hand of Fantomex? And what about the one hiding by Magmas torso in the red bar??

Then again, Northstar is in the foreground. But the other two.. By Megans hand and Amaras torso.... Who're they? And now that Amara is canceled out of both the new mutant death and the X-force 26 death, who will those be? My money is on Dani or Karma and Angel.

Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#139  Edited By Erik
    @CATMANEXE said:
    " found this bit of ridiculousness in Wizard Magazine
    No Caption Provided
    "
    Better than Vegas if you ask me. I would totally go. Probably even stay. 
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#141  Edited By devilmanex

Looking at the preview for X-Force 26 it looks like its either Moonstar or Karma who bite the big one....In the New Mutants 12 preview it says someone isn't going to make it home either.... My money is on Dani since she isn't a mutant anymore....You can clearly see Karma trying to do first aid....In the pic its just hard to differentiate between Dani and Karma.

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#142  Edited By kerukun878
    @DevilmanEX: I saw a picture, not sure where I found it, but, Karma is the one to die. You can clearly see Moonstar's headband on the other girls head, not to mention the New Mutant to die has short and black hair.
    devilmanex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#143  Edited By devilmanex
    @kerukun878:  I knew it.....That doesn't bother me...she def wasn't one of my favorite New Mutants or Xmen in general....Im curious if another major Xmen will die....They better not kill Nightcrawler, I'm currently reading his 2004 ongoing and I love it!.....Cable makes perfect sense to take the plunge....we'll see
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#144  Edited By kerukun878
    @DevilmanEX: Well everyone from the Rescue Team has been seen -- Besides Kurt -- out of promotional art, like in covers in all. I'd say it was Warren but he's going to be in the Blind Science side story. OH and you meant in the X-force 26 one! I'm not quite sure if that New Mutant isn't Amara, and that it isn't misleading, 'cause it looks like Amara is in Hellbound.
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#145  Edited By crimsonspider89

New Mutants 12: Karma will probably die 
    X-Force 26: Kurt, hasn't been in any other solicits. 
    X-Force 28: Cable. 

At least three confirmed deaths will be happening from the looks of things. Maybe more. 

kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#146  Edited By kerukun878
    @crimsonspider89: Kurt was in All Will Unite, but other random mutants were thrown into the mix as well. I mean, I don't expect Beast to appear..
    crimsonspider89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#147  Edited By crimsonspider89
    @kerukun878:  That was a teaser. Not a solicit.
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#148  Edited By kerukun878
    @crimsonspider89: ISn't it essentially the same thing?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#149  Edited By sora_thekey
    @kerukun878 said:
    " @crimsonspider89: Kurt was in All Will Unite, but other random mutants were thrown into the mix as well. I mean, I don't expect Beast to appear.. "
    Yeah Deadpool was on it too...
    kerukun878

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#150  Edited By kerukun878
    @sora_thekey: Mhm. And Kitty won't be around for obvious reasons. :D She isn't able to become tangible or speak.. So.... It's also probably Karma under the sheet.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.