Follow

Scott Snyder

Person » Scott Snyder is credited in 926 issues.

Scott Snyder is an American comic writer working for DC Comics and Image Comics. He is known for his work on titles such Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained, Severed, Wytches, and The Wake.

Scott Lobdell to Scott Snyder: "I SALUTE YOU!"

Scott_Lobdell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By Scott_Lobdell
    No Caption Provided

On this, the eve of the NIGHT OF THE OWLS crossover event, I would be remiss if I didn't salute the maestro behind it all, Mr. Scott Snyder.

While certainly the key to the success of a runaway hit like BATMAN can only come through that perfect union of writer and artist -- and Scott has been blessed by Greg Capullo's sheer awesomeness -- I can only speak to my experience on the crossover through my dealings with Mr. Snyder.

For everyone who wonders if this kid is the serious, thoughtful, generous genius that he's portrayed as so glowingly in the press... the answer is yes. It should surprise no one at all that Scott would be the first writer out of the DCNu gate to explode with a story that simply could not be contained in one monthly title! (Heck, even five bat books weren't enough! Ten?! I can't keep track!)

Trust me when I tell you I've had more than my fair share of crossovers in my career -- from the position where another writer would essentially hand me a synopsis of my chapter in the larger story, to the times I'd be the guy in front of the room writing maniacally on the dry erase board while everyone else squinted and asked each other "What the hell is he talking about?" So when I say Scott has been a consummate professional throughout, know that I know of what I speak.

== TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided
    No Caption Provided

From the very first "Hey, Guys!" email where Scott threw wide the metaphorical gates of Gotham and invited any and all of us to join in, he meticulously laid out the whole world or the Court of the Owls for us. He explained the history of the Talons but then made it clear that involvement in the story wasn't mandatory:

He wasn't dictating, he was welcoming. He was never intimidating, he was encouraging.

(It was no coincidence that every other Bat-writer at the company -- and then some -- hurled ourselves into the Owl mixing bowl! And even less of a coincidence I was the one who shyly asked "Can I have Mr. Freeze for my story?!" No fool am I -- despite what you may have read on Tumblr!)

But don't think he stopped there -- despite a workload that includes SWAMP THING and Vertigo's AMERICAN VAMPIRE, Scott looked at every page of plot and script and pencils that came in and gave helpful and supportive notes on everything from a Talon's back story to their speaking patterns to insights into their individual back stories. Because I am one of those writers who writes plot first and then scripts only after the page arrives, Scott had to do double the work on my RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS entry. Through it all he was never anything less than gracious.

So this is me, one seasoned comic warhorse giving a shout out to a fellow writer who month to month kicks ass on his own title while also sharing his time and talent with the rest of us. (Now I hope you've all saved up your pennies! Because NIGHT OF THE OWLS starts next week and you are not going to want to miss a single issue!)

Scott Snyder, thank you!

Scott Lobdell

Los Angeles

Occasional contributor Scott Lobdell can no longer abide an Internet determined to cut everything down. So keep an eye on this spot somewhat regularly as he writes about people and things in comic book industry that he actually likes!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By doordoor123

YAY! Does this mean Lobdell finally gets his own "thing" on Comicvine?!

If so, WELCOME!

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2  Edited By DarthShap

It's guy love between two guys:

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By doordoor123
    No Caption Provided

@DarthShap: I hate Scrubs... A movie called the Last Kiss ruined anything Zach Braff is in; Worst MOVIE EVER!

feargalr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By feargalr

How nice :)

At times I feel sorry for the other writers and artists involved in night of the owls because being involved in a story like this means you don't get to be a proper reader with no foreknowledge and be completely wowed.. then I remember that they're writers and artists for successful comic books.

revbucky

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 3

#5  Edited By revbucky

As Mr. Spock would say...... Fascinating.

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By The Impersonator

@revbucky said:

As Mr. Spock would say...... Fascinating.

sj_esposito

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#7  Edited By sj_esposito

This is pretty nice to read. Glad it was posted in public. And, we, the fans, ought to thank Mr. Snyder, as well. We owe it to him big time.

Thanks, Scott, for a truly awesome and captivating story!

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarthShap

@doordoor123: I have not seen that movie but I doubt it could make me hate Scrubs.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#9  Edited By Mercy_

Love stuff like this!

dcfox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By dcfox

It's weird seeing everyone's man crush on Scott Snyder. That's not to say it's undeserved but let's give him a little while longer before we dub him the greatest Batman writer ever.

Afro_Warrior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#11  Edited By Afro_Warrior

@dcfox:

While a lot of the accolades are deserved, i think quite a bit of it comes from the fact that he comes across as just a really nice guy. Who seems genuinely passionate about his work. With a personality like that, it can become a bit easy at times to ignore the weaknesses in someone's work.

With that said though, Snyder is my second favourite writer currently working, and American Vampire and Batman are both in my top 5.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Mercy_

@Afro_Warrior said:

While a lot of the accolades are deserved, i think quite a bit of it comes from the fact that he comes across as just a really nice guy. Who seems genuinely passionate about his work. With a personality like that, it can become a bit easy at times to ignore the weaknesses in someone's work.

I wholeheartedly agree with this.

Fantasgasmic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By Fantasgasmic

I'm not really a Lobdell fan post New-52, but I'll say this: if he's a Scott Snyder fan, he has excellent taste.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#14  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Love it, Batman is amazing, RH & O is great and I would love Lobdell to make this a regular thing 

yo_yo_fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By yo_yo_fun

Though Scott Snyder isn't my #1 Batman writer, he is doing a great job, which makes him close behind!

Batman has been awesome so far & I think this letter is great!

Thank u Mr. Snyder for your run on Batman & thank u Scott Lobdell for this letter:)

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BatteredArmor

Lobdell has his own account now?!!! pure awesomeness.

This is a really great message its good to see people in the industry doing stuff like this for each other

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#17  Edited By InnerVenom123

This is cool.

pspin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 182

#18  Edited By pspin

I should probably start reading a Scott Snyder written book, it appears that they are good...

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By sethysquare
    Im really looking forward to night of owls crossover so much so that Ive ordered every single copy of night of owls. Im one of those cynics who never knew whats the big deal with Scott Snyder. I never liked Batman and I only bought the book because everyone says its the best thing ever. Few issues in, I wasn't impressed maybe cos I feel Indifferent to the characters, but it was good enough for me to continue. But wow after issue 8, Im completely sold. 100% I do hope Snyder would write Superman sometime in the near future.
    ClawFist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By ClawFist

SCOTT LOBDELL IS PRETTY COOL!

I mean the man sits through fan questions and gives us insight on what's going on from time to time like no one I've honestly seen before, and now he's giving a shout out. I dunno about everyone else but in my eyes that makes him a pretty awesome guy, and I'm very much looking forward to his crossover event The Culling

TheOptimist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#21  Edited By TheOptimist

Occasional contributor Scott Lobdell can no longer abide an Internet determined to cut everything down. So keep an eye on this spot somewhat regularly as he writes about people and things in comic book industry that he actually likes!

Thank you so much for this. I echo the call for a more positive fan community with every chance I get... and at this moment I can think of no brighter beacon of positive celebration than the reaction to Mr. Snyder himself, both as a person and a writer... solid stuff. Kudos to you Mr. Lobdell for delivering such a supportive and heartfelt message... is it too much to hope that this level of creator-to-creator appreciation might make its way to these spaces more frequently? (Although, honestly if you tune into creator twitter accounts, I'm a big bag of smiles for the amount of support often offered...)

(And on a tangential note, I greatly enjoy your work Mr. Lobdell.)

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By BreZeJ

I haven't read an issue yet. Is the series really that good? I feel like I'm missing out on something.

KidSupreme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#23  Edited By KidSupreme

@doordoor123 said:

YAY! Does this mean Lobdell finally gets his own "thing" on Comicvine?!

If so, WELCOME!

lol he totally should.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Cool.

BatteredArmor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By BatteredArmor

@ClawFist said:

SCOTT LOBDELL IS PRETTY COOL!

I mean the man sits through fan questions and gives us insight on what's going on from time to time like no one I've honestly seen before, and now he's giving a shout out. I dunno about everyone else but in my eyes that makes him a pretty awesome guy, and I'm very much looking forward to his crossover event The Culling

QFT

zackattack529

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By zackattack529

wow..scott is getting alot of hype!...but then again if anyone rights a remotely good batman story they get overhyped.

JamDamage

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By JamDamage

that was cool as hell

StarKiller809

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 462

#28  Edited By StarKiller809

Scott Snyder is my favorite writer ever. Everything he's done is pure genius. Glad other creators like him too.

jsphsmth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#29  Edited By jsphsmth

All three of the crossovers in May should be amazing. Night of the Owls, The Culling, and whatever the Swamp Thing/Animal Man crossover is called. Thank you for your work Scott Lobdell and Scott Snyder.

SavageDragon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#30  Edited By SavageDragon

@BreZeJ: In my opinion its excellent. I am a Big Batman fan but im not a total fanboy, I wasnt crazy about much of Grant Morrisons stuff although i respect it. I feel like Snyder's run on Detective was amazing and speaks fpor itself and Black Mirror was the pinnacle of Dick Grayson work. This Batman series by Snyder is Just as good if not better than what i just named so I love it and i think you should check out Black Mirror or this new series.

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man its so exciting to see Lobdell contributing to the 'Vine like this! This was an awesome piece..and you, sir, I salute! Soooo darn ready for The Culling myself :)

bladewolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By bladewolf

Lobdell, you are awesome

BreZeJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By BreZeJ

@SavageDragon: I will look into The Black Mirror. I'm trying to get into more DC Comics right now. I actually wanted to read Dick Grayson's run as Batman. He's one of my favorite characters of all-time. Let me know if you have any other suggestions for me.

htb106

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By htb106

they make the perfect team

the dynamic duo!

GBrutality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#35  Edited By GBrutality

that was pretty awesome of lobdell to write that in praise of snyder. never see that as much as you'd like/think.

also i super want that shirt snyder is wearing.

ThomasElliot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By ThomasElliot

@BreZeJ:

The thing you learn from the internet is that NO MATTER what the general consensus is, there will ALWAYS be someone to criticize or automatically go against the grain. ALWAYS.

I don't doubt there's someone out there who dislikes Snyder's run, for whatever made-up reasons they have, but the thing is... I haven't seen, read or heard a single negative thing about Snyder's Bat-work. NONE. Think about that. I can tell you 1,000 criticisms I have of all the other Bat-books... not Snyder's Batman. Or his Black Mirror arc in Detective.

DarthShap

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By DarthShap

@ThomasElliot said:

@BreZeJ:

The thing you learn from the internet is that NO MATTER what the general consensus is, there will ALWAYS be someone to criticize or automatically go against the grain. ALWAYS.

I don't doubt there's someone out there who dislikes Snyder's run, for whatever made-up reasons they have, but the thing is... I haven't seen, read or heard a single negative thing about Snyder's Bat-work. NONE. Think about that. I can tell you 1,000 criticisms I have of all the other Bat-books... not Snyder's Batman. Or his Black Mirror arc in Detective.

To be fair, it is not completely true.

It is a great run with a lot of great ideas, good execution and awesome art.

That being said, there has been criticism about the apparition of this omnipresent secret organisation ten to fifteen years into Batman's career in Gotham. Also, I have heard a fair amount of criticism about the unnecessary and nonsensical changing of Dick's origins.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#38  Edited By ReVamp

I love Lobdell. I love Snyder.

I love this.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#39  Edited By Mucklefluga

WOOOOO TWO GREAT SCOTTS!

durkadurka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By durkadurka

I'm loving the Court of Owls so far. Just because of the work by Snyder and Capullo on Batman, this story has already become one of my favorite Batman stories. And now with the Night of Owls and the inclusion of the entire Bat-family, it's just amazing. And making Dick Grayson a major part of the story? Icing. Tim Drake returning to the Bat-books? Cherry on top.

I haven't been getting Red Hood, but i'll probably pick up the Night of Owls tie-in and see how it goes from there.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#41  Edited By Billy Batson

Any other love letters coming up?

BB

Iron Apollo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Iron Apollo

Lobeell, as always, a pleasure!

theoknows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By theoknows

Scott Snyder is one of DC's best writers right now. Hope they're treating him right.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.