Follow

Scott Snyder

Person » Scott Snyder is credited in 926 issues.

Scott Snyder is an American comic writer working for DC Comics and Image Comics. He is known for his work on titles such Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained, Severed, Wytches, and The Wake.

Interview: Scott Snyder Talks SUPERMAN UNCHAINED Finale

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

The final issue of SUPERMAN UNCHAINED is in stores today and it's pretty intense. It's been a long road but we are now able to witness the finale to Scott Snyder and Jim Lee's story.

With everything that happened in the series and the journey of the series, we asked Scott some questions about the series and characters as well as whether or not we might see more UNCHAINED in the future.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: What does Superman mean to you? How would you describe him to someone that somehow never heard of him?

SCOTT SNYDER: For me, the thing the story is really about is this notion that a lot of us think of Superman as this symbol of everything that’s right and someone who knows what he’s doing all the time. Like he’s leading the way for us and showing us how to be better people. What I realized I wanted this story to be about and what I’d tell someone interested in learning about Superman, personally, the thing I think is most inspiring about him is kind of the inverse of that.

When I started writing him in my version of him, he doesn’t always know. When you look at his decisions to be Clark Kent when everybody around him is going to age faster than him, to not align himself with any military when every military around the world will then start build weapons against him, to do a little and not more, to do a lot but not too much. Then you’re placing yourself right at the center, you’re plotting a point and it’s impossible to compete. In that way, I think he’s doubly inspiring. He actually shows us the way to be by not trying to. Meaning, as he makes it up as he goes along, and he does the very best he can, he always does what he thinks is right. Even if doesn’t make sense on paper. In that way, I think he’s actually more inspiring than he would be if he did think he knew the right thing to do and was very sure of himself all the time.

No Caption Provided

CV: It almost felt as if we were seeing more of a connection between Superman and Lois than we usually see. What are your thoughts on Lois?

No Caption Provided

SS: I really wanted to explore his relationship with Lois. If there was a way to make them romantically involved and that sort of thing…I love that relationship. Right now, given the way things are, I think he has a really interesting relationship with Diana and Lois is more in the companion sort of area. For me, it was about trying to show even if they don’t have a romantic relationship, they have this incredibly deep connection where she’s been the North Star for him.

They feel this connection because both of them do things that set them against forces that will probably end them. They do it because they think what they’re doing is right. They’re in search for a kind of truth. In that way, I think she inspires him. I think that’s why they have such a connection. And he inspires her in tandem.

That’s what I was really going for. Lois, out of all the characters in the Superman mythology, she’s the one that has the most similar compass to him. She sees a situation and doesn’t care what the consequences are. She does what she thinks is right. She does what’s right in that situation even if it doesn’t make sense to anybody else. That is the way Clark is too. And that’s why they have this incredible connection.

CV: Have you thought about how Wraith could return in his next appearance?

SS: Yeah! I definitely have. We’ve talked about with DC, but at the end of the day, I like to create things and then leave them for other people to pick up if they want. There’s certain things I come back to, like the Court of Owls and things like that. James Jr, for example. I loved making him up and then seeing what other people get to do with him. I’m very interested to see who picks up Wraith.

CV: Did the story turn out as you envisioned it in the beginning?

SS: Yeah, it really did. The only things I think are different are a couple beats in the middle that I realized I wanted to expand a little bit. That’s the way it always is for me when writing. The middle becomes a place where I get to expand and contract. The end is always kind of what I imagined in the beginning. That’s the fun for me, exploring in the middle ground and going on a kind of walkabout with it for a bit. There are elements there that changed from what I thought they’d be. Like the labyrinth in BATMAN #5. It was something we discovered as we were going. Originally it was going to be, “And then they lock him up! And they tell him all of these things.” Then it was like, what if we did a maze? Stuff like that is the fun of the discovery. When you get there, you realize you have a better idea for how to get across the point of how to explore the story than you thought, on paper.

No Caption Provided

CV: What’s been your favorite part of SUPERMAN UNCHAINED?

SS: I think my favorite part was getting inside Clark’s head. My favorite parts were writing his dialogue and his narration. At first, it was just a thrill to get to write him. Then ultimately what it really is is he’s a character I feel a lot of empathy for. As a kid, I always thought of Superman as how I was trying to argue against Superman in the story. I always felt he was this boycott and knew what he was doing. I always found that inspiring.

Coming into it and taking a different angle I realized his life is terrifying but he’s very brave. He has the strongest moral compass of anybody out there and not a compass that makes any sense to anyone but him. If he does something he thinks is right, if he thinks he knows what’s right, he will do that thing, even if everybody else thinks it’s the worst idea in the world.

CV: Any comments on the release schedule of the issues?

SS: I think both Jim and I thought we’d be able to do the monthly grind. We both have a lot of obligations. What it really boiled down to, honestly, I know it sounds weird, we had a lot of fun figuring things out as we went, visually sometimes. Like Jim would decided he wanted to do a scene a little differently. Then he’d start sending different images and it would give me ideas. It was a really fun way to go, back and forth.

I think we realized about half way through it was getting a little late and the schedule was going to be what it was. We sort of let go of it a little bit and said, “Let’s have fun and do it the way we’re doing it.” Big apologies to everyone out there that was hoping it would be a little more timely. At the end, we both were really proud of the way it came out. It gave us room to expand and do pretty much every issue oversized. All the issues are pretty much above twenty-two, twenty-three, twenty-four pages. I’m really happy with how it turned out. And again, we’re really sorry about the delays, but we just wanted to give you all the best comic that we could and have the most fun on it we could. That was really the way we figured it would happen.

No Caption Provided

CV: Could we someday see a SUPERMAN UNCHAINED Volume 2?

SS: Oh yeah, man, I thought we’d do it right after honestly. It really was just impossible, looking at the schedule for both of us. With his schedule and my schedule, it would have just been a grind. I think we both realized the easiest thing would be to just walk away from it now and just decide a little bit down the line.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

i didnt care for the finale.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

The finale was very strong. I have to say that Snyder's endings are a bit weak but Unchained was his best.

It went the story full circle, it resolved some plots I thought were dropped and it gave us an nice insight on Snyder's (through Lex) thoughts on Supes.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Also I have to say that the finale would have a lot more impact if the series wasn't delayed so much.

I recommend everyone who hasn't read it yet to re-read the who series from the beginning and they will appreaciate it even more.

dkmark96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

It was a good ending, but I expected much more from Unchained back when it was announced. 4.5/5

DrellAssassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

Even though I've bought them, I don't think I'm going to read the last two issues until I can reread the series. I don't even remember what happened in the first few issues, but I'm willing to bet that this story will be something special once it's all collected.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#6  Edited By Lvenger

I hope the finale to Superman Unchained is written well. I've enjoyed almost every issue of this Superman story more than any other New 52 Superman story, possibly with the exception of some of Morrison's Action Comics issues. But honestly, Snyder's really done well at getting to the core of the Superman mythos. The themes, philosophical introspection and epic conflicts really made this a great series to read.

And bringing back Lois in a prominent role works wonders in actually understanding more about Superman's humanity. As Snyder rightly says, Lois is the one Superman looks to for guidance and inspiration and that's how it should always be between Superman and Lois. Whether they're in a romantic relationship or not. But the Clois moments in this issue had 10 times more chemistry and romantic tension than anything the vapid Fauxmance has come up with.

Still, gonna have to wait a week or so to read this so will have to avoid spoilers somehow.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@squalleon: I was hoping you'd post your opinion on it as yours is one I value in Superman matters. Glad to hear that Snyder might have overcome his ending problem for once but I'm gonna have to wait to read this myself I guess.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Squalleon

@lvenger said:

@squalleon: I was hoping you'd post your opinion on it as yours is one I value in Superman matters. Glad to hear that Snyder might have overcome his ending problem for once but I'm gonna have to wait to read this myself I guess.

I think it is a strong ending. It would feel stronger if I had read the series again to be prepared for it better. I would recommend a re-read of the previous issues to maximize the enjoyment of the experience and make the ending feel more relevant. Seriously the delays didn't work at all for this series(then again I don't think it would work for any :P). I really liked that last page, pure Superman, thats all I will say :)

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I started reading this but it didn't catch me so I fell off. I might try reading it in a oner instead.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I think it is a strong ending. It would feel stronger if I had read the series again to be prepared for it better. I would recommend a re-read of the previous issues to maximize the enjoyment of the experience and make the ending feel more relevant. Seriously the delays didn't work at all for this series(then again I don't think it would work for any :P). I really liked that last page, pure Superman, thats all I will say :)

I did reread issue 8 last night since it's my favourite issue of the series but maybe rereading the series isn't a bad idea. I can see it working better as a full trade but that's not out till December. But at least Snyder apologised for the delays so that's something.

superwomanlois

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 2

The best comic about Superman in the New 52.

Squalleon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@lvenger said:

I did reread issue 8 last night since it's my favourite issue of the series but maybe rereading the series isn't a bad idea. I can see it working better as a full trade but that's not out till December. But at least Snyder apologised for the delays so that's something.

I really don't want to spoil anything for you, but I will say this, the ending has elements even from the 1st issue. It really took the story full circle with some great parallels. Now I have to stop talking before I spoil anything :P

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Happy to hear that there might be more, and wraith could appear again.

HolySerpent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

The ending didn't make no sense.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Snyder and JRJR would give fans a Superman with durable stories.

UltimateSMfan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't know why but the way Snyder describes superman throughout this interview and even lois at one point makes them seem like f$#&&*^ Idiots.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

The ending was rush.I wanted more but what I got was less.Waste of 5 dollars.

Icon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

I don't know why but the way Snyder describes superman throughout this interview and even lois at one point makes them seem like f$#&&*^ Idiots.

I agree and it's sad. Superman doesn't just make it up as he goes. While I enjoyed the series for what it was I don't think Snyder had a strong grasp on who Superman is.

saoakden

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

I really love this Superman story. Definitely buying the hardcover when it comes out. I hope to see Snyder write Superman again as the main character.

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

this issue was great. it really gives superman a new age identity.

It really throws him into the 21st century and does away with antiquated ideas that just dont resonate with this generation.

Avatar image for fuzzylittlerodent
    FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: Wait. Morals like "selflessness" and "standing up for the weak" are considered outdated nowadays?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: Wait. Morals like "selflessness" and "standing up for the weak" are considered outdated nowadays?

what i said was:

"It really throws him into the 21st century and does away with antiquated ideas that just dont resonate with this generation."

I never mentioned morals.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: mind briefly explaing, which "ideas" are considered antiquated?

Comicuser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Comicuser

@comicuser: mind briefly explaing, which "ideas" are considered antiquated?

the idea that he's perfection for starters.

FuzzyLittleRodent

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@comicuser: Fair enough. I personally see him more as an "average" guy who just tries to do the right thing, rather than "mr. 100% pure perfection"

SPM1M

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TOTAL LET DOWN the finally was ok, but it should have been great, so disappointing.

Boynerdgeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

Superman Unchained should been release as Graphic Novel. I'm sorry if you read issue by issue each months, the quality of story is average. This series suffer alot due to delays.

Seriously if you read issue 1-9 in single day then it is a very good story imo

Avatar image for allstarsuperman
    AllStarSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

I liked it alot. a tad predictable and cliche though.

kennybaese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

The one upside to the delays is that the trade comes out next month, so I don't have to wait too much longer after the last issue to finally read the thing.

kilowog52

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I thought this whole series was pretty "meh." I suppose it is possible I would have enjoyed it more if it weren't for all the delays, but I really don't feel like that was the problem.

I would prefer that Wraith not return because he doesn't strike me as a good candidate for a recurring character because A we have too many of those already, B he's just too powerful to be beaten by anybody, and C he did have a meaningful sendoff.

If there were another volume of this series, it wouldn't need to have the exact same creative team. Everyone keeps saying the delays were because Jim Lee is also co-publisher. If that is the case, he really needs to completely step down from either that duty or art duties. But another artist on the next one will be just as good. Maybe even a new writer. Heck, they don't even have to call it Unchained.

One last thing. Do Batman and Wonder Woman really have to appear in every Superman story nowadays? I was going to say that you never see Supes in Batman comics, but then remembered that that is happening in a couple titles at the moment.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.