Follow

Scott Snyder

Person » Scott Snyder is credited in 926 issues.

Scott Snyder is an American comic writer working for DC Comics and Image Comics. He is known for his work on titles such Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained, Severed, Wytches, and The Wake.

Interview: Scott Snyder Talks BATMAN #36, Endgame, and What Joker's Been Up to

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

Most likely you're aware that Joker is back. After a long absence (after Death of the Family), last month's BATMAN #35 revealed that Joker was back and had somehow Joker-ized the entire Justice League, who then attacked Batman. One question we all had was, what has the Joker been up to all this time? We also wanted to know what he would look like after having lost his face.

Those answers are revealed in this week's BATMAN #36. We spoke to Scott about the issue, Joker, and coming up with all those contingency plans against the Justice League.

There will be spoilers below!

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: With more information revealed in BATMAN #36, basically Joker was hiding under Batman's nose for some time?

SCOTT SNYDER: Pretty much, yeah.

CV: Is Batman going to reflect on this at all? He’s the World’s Greatest Detective and didn’t see Joker coming?

SS: He will. I’m sure he’ll beat himself up over it. But at the end of the day, if anyone is going to do that to him, it’s the Joker. For me, the Joker represents Batman’s worst fears all the time. He’s a character that’s a reflection of your most nightmarish thoughts. The idea that Joker could pull it off, for me, he’s the only character that could put Batman in that position. That’s what he’s designed to do. That’s who he is. At his core, he’s there to terrify you. So he’s going to terrify you in ways you think are impossible. That’s what makes him powerful and scary. He thinks of the things when you think, “What would I be most afraid of? Well, having Joker right under my nose.” “You know what? I’m going to make that possible.” In his way, that’s what he is. He’s a bringer of nightmares.

If you’ll forgive Batman for not realizing that was him, I think there was a lot it would have taken Batman to put together. I mean Joker suddenly has his face back. He’s coming to help people. His skin is back to normal. His hair is back to normal. He’s thinking, or hoping, that maybe Joker died or maybe was so badly injured he wouldn’t see him for a long time. To have him come back as quickly as Eric [Border] did, because Eric was there by BATMAN ANNUAL #2, which is well over a year ago at this point, I don’t think anyone was prepared for that. Something must have happened to Joker to heal him and put him there that fast. I think that would have been bewildering to Batman.

No Caption Provided

CV: Was it always the plan to bring him back this way when Batman Annual #2 came out?

SS: Yeah, 100%. I mean 100, 100%. I hope that’s really clear. His name…everything. He interrupts when they say “Joker.” I was worried people would guess it when ANNUAL #2 came out. I thought people would guess it was Joker when we said “Endgame.” I thought they’d guess Eric was Joker back when we first introduced him. Basically Marguerite [Bennett] actually wrote a thing where he was more talking about the Joker and how he was glad Joker wasn’t there when he first came to Arkham. I was like, “I think that’s going to give it away.” Now looking back, I’m like, “You’re such an idiot. That wouldn’t have given it away.” I was just so paranoid about it at the time.The only people that knew that was Joker was me, Marguerite, and James Tynion for a while. And then as we got closer, I told Gerry Duggan because I wanted to get his opinion on the story. That was about a year and a half ago at Kansas City. He started talking about how much he liked it. That kind of lead to ARKHAM MANOR ideas because he knew what we were doing on ETERNAL.

So yeah, it’s been there in the DNA for a while.

CV: As far as Batman fighting the Justice League, how much time did you spend coming up with the different contingencies so they weren’t too outrageous or convenient for Batman?

No Caption Provided

SS: [laughs] A lot. I worried about that quite a bit, actually. I think one of the saving graces is that they’re not completely at full strength, because they’re Joker-ized. There was always that slightly muted quality to them so that way it wasn’t simply “Batman could take them all down so easily.” That said, I tried to give it a lot of thought. I did give it a lot of thought. I did wrestle with it. I was like, “What’s the best way and how do you make it fun, also? And funny?” Because honestly, it’s Batman’s 75th and you want to see him be badass. You want to see him be that guy that could take down the Justice League without getting his…ass kicked.

Similarly, I think at the end, you want it to be threatening and scary. The scariest thing about it for him is, as much as we like to joke around, who would win in a fight, Batman or Superman? Bruce’s line, to me, is my favorite line in the issue, when he says, “Who would win in a fight, Batman or Superman? Neither of us.”

CV: Will the Justice League be angry or thankful Bruce came up with all these plans?

SS: I think they’re okay with it at this point. After Tower of Babel, they know he has contingency plans for them. That’s really not a part of the story, where they question his morality.

CV: Will we see if anyone has been working with Joker?

SS: Yeah, you’re going to see…this story really brings in the biggest cast I’ve ever tried to bring in. You’re going to see a lot of villains and a lot of heroes. You’re going to see a lot of people that are obscure, people we’ve used before, people we’ve never used. I really want it to be all of Gotham in this story, as much as I can fit into six issues. I’m trying to make a big celebration of Batman’s 75th, but the funny secret is, it’s actually Joker’s 75th. It’s the end of the year…1940 is when he was introduced, so this is really his 75th birthday, beginning with the end of Batman’s. So he’s here to say, “The party’s over, it’s my party now.”

No Caption Provided

CV: Does Joker still not care about Batman's true identity?

SS: Oh, you’ll have to see. I don’t want to give that away. His relationship with Batman and how he sees him now is a big part of issue #37. He’ll reveal…you’ll see the full scope of what he’s been up to.

CV: Do you ever worry about going too far with Joker? How would he top all this next time? Or do you just focus on story at hand?

SS: For me, honestly, this is the last time I plan on using the Joker. I always knew there’d be this story. If you asked friends of mine or privately in the Bat-Offices, it’s been on the docket since Death of the Family was going. For me, that was always going to be love and this was going to be hate, it was going to be a comedy and a tragedy. I had this whole idea for it. I thought we might do it a little later in the year. I thought we might do it after the 75th, but then I realized it’s a great story to set up what I want to do next year. So we pushed it up to celebrate Batman’s 75th a little bit.

My feeling was it’s going to be the last time I use that character. I don’t really worry too much about how am I going to top it just because, for me, the big challenge is to make sure it’s the biggest, most personal Joker story I can do, given how Death of the Family was. Meaning, that one was a point Joker was trying to make saying, “You got into this to be immortal, to be bigger than yourself, to be bigger than human and to be forever. You’re not doing that by being with these stupid heroes. You come with us, the villains, and you’ll be what you want to be.” When Bruce rejects that, now Joker is here to say something different. “I gave you a chance to be like me. But you’re not. I’m going to show you just how small you really are.” That’s part of what it is. He’s there to break all the pieces.

There’s a different feel and different message. It’s a different tone and scope to the story. I’m really happy with it and it took a lot of planning. I don’t want to go so far as to say hopefully it’ll be stronger than Death of the Family, because I love that story, but it’s very different. To me, they’re two halves of one person…crazy psychology.

Don't miss out on BATMAN: ENDGAME. Look for BATMAN #35 and 36, now on sale.

Avatar image for captainmarvel4ever
    CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

I will say I like that the League is not at full strength and that Batman got help from the Atom, but I'm still not sure how I feel about this story. Still, I said it before and I'll say it again, I trust Snyder to have more up his sleeve then he's letting on. A guy like him is way too clever for this type of story.

Also one thing that is impossible to complain about is Capullo's art, and getting to see him draw the League and those action scenes. I hope he plans to do more at DC then just Batman in the future.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

Wait. Tower of Babel is still in continuity? That... needs some clarification.

z3ro180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Show is his face back in ?

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

I think Synder may not have been thinking when he said that, because in another interview I think he said this is the first time something like this has happened in the New 52.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MAZAHS117  Online

Also one thing that is impossible to complain about is Capullo's art, and getting to see him draw the League and those action scenes. I hope he plans to do more at DC then just Batman in the future.

Yep. I was worried about this too until I got iss#35. The league looks great with his artwork imo.

As far as this story arc is concerned, even after reading this interview I still have a nagging feeling Batman's under some "Fear Toxin" hallucination. The Justice League gone rogue or under control of his worse enemy scenario that's one of Bruces worst nightmares. IDK, we'll see I guess...But unlike some, I am enjoying this.

MAZAHS117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 MAZAHS117  Online

@meatwadf said:

Yeah, that was a "WTF?!" moment for me too

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

I think Synder may not have been thinking when he said that, because in another interview I think he said this is the first time something like this has happened in the New 52.

I would hope so, because there is no way that could fit in the current timeline. lol

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@captainmarvel4ever said:

@meatwadf said:

I would hope so, because there is no way that could fit in the current timeline. lol

It could, it would just have different characters. Like Plastic Man wouldn't have existed then.

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

OMG THAT FIGHT WAS SO EPIC!!!!! I am still recovering from the sheer amount of amazing. "Who wins in a fight? The answer is always the same. Neither of us."

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@meatwadf said:

It could, it would just have different characters. Like Plastic Man wouldn't have existed then.

Not just that, I honestly feel they would have trouble fitting the actual storyline into the current timeline, as all the stuff about Batman and his plans messed with the team in a bad way for awhile.

In addition to Plastic Man, you have Kyle, Wally, and J'onn to worry about, too.

senglord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Bruce levels half of Gotham while under the influence of some heavy ish. The leleaguwas trying to stop him without killing him is the reason he was not STOMPED.

The League knows he is messed up and not himself, so they will not go all in.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

Blew mah mind there. lol

Avatar image for deactivated-64332b810a025
    deactivated-64332b810a025

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Btw, I really like the scale they raised Joker to. He is more dangerous than he ever was. An actual League level threat.

CaptainMarvel4Ever

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@meatwadf said:

@meatwadf said:

Not just that, I honestly feel they would have trouble fitting the actual storyline into the current timeline, as all the stuff about Batman and his plans messed with the team in a bad way for awhile.

In addition to Plastic Man, you have Kyle, Wally, and J'onn to worry about, too.

Yeah considering we had a scene in Justice League where Batman was telling Supes about his backup plans it seems like it never happened in this continuity (which I'm fine with).

I know I was just using him as an example.

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Btw, I really like the scale they raised Joker to. He is more dangerous than he ever was. An actual League level threat.

Don't forget him in Last Laugh. heh

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By meatwadf

@meatwadf said:

@meatwadf said:

@meatwadf said:

Yeah considering we had a scene in Justice League where Batman was telling Supes about his backup plans it seems like it never happened in this continuity (which I'm fine with).

I know I was just using him as an example.

Oh yeah. lol I had forgotten about the part in League there.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

@meatwadf said:

@shazam117 said:

@meatwadf said:

Blew mah mind there. lol

This sounds crazy, but I almost thought that this was some easter egg to Convergence

meatwadf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@meatwadf said:

@shazam117 said:

@meatwadf said:

Blew mah mind there. lol

This sounds crazy, but I almost thought that this was some easter egg to Convergence

hah! Now, that would be awesome.

Avatar image for madeinbangladesh
    MadeinBangladesh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 59

User Lists: 172

Wooo the new joker looks awesome!!!

And does anyone know how long this arc gonna be?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By gmanfromheck
    powerflux

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

SS: Oh, you’ll have to see. I don’t want to give that away. His relationship with Batman and how he sees him now is a big part of issue #37. He’ll reveal…you’ll see the full scope of what he’s been up to.

...........Please tell me this isn't them trying to say Joker's going all emo rejected lover for batman....

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

The thing I hope I get out of this arc is a sweet wrap around cover by Greg Capullo for the final issue of the arc.

tensor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Well this explained a lot.

MuyJingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ugh.

Avatar image for amazing_webhead
    amazing_webhead

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

User Lists: 20

batcat91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

why do I spoil myself like this ;_;

Spidey_Jackson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Woah. Snyder actually has me feeling better about ENDGAME now.

Beata

icecold14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

pretty good issues i loved them

Vivide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

the muted down part is a good one, people always tend to forget the most dangerous superman isn't that guy who screams after his wife is dead [injustice] but that guy with a cool head that calculates his enemies demise [whatever happened to truth, justice and the american way?]

lumutness

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

So much epic concept in this issue. From Superman vs Batman (scaaary....) to a brokenhearted Joker. DoTF was disturbing enough with all that love and horror in the air.

How personal this arc will be? I wonder.

...........Please tell me this isn't them trying to say Joker's going all emo rejected lover for batman....

I get this vibe a lot since the end of DoTF. I don't think that he will be emo (Imagine that: Emo Joker. haha.) but, rejected lover? He certainly acts like one. *shiver*

...that didn't come up right.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.