Follow

Scott Snyder

Person » Scott Snyder is credited in 926 issues.

Scott Snyder is an American comic writer working for DC Comics and Image Comics. He is known for his work on titles such Batman, American Vampire, Swamp Thing, Superman Unchained, Severed, Wytches, and The Wake.

Interview: Scott Snyder on BATMAN ETERNAL Spoilers, Catwoman and Maybe Even More 'Zero Year'

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

BATMAN #28 is out and there were some pretty big spoilers for what's coming up in BATMAN ETERNAL (you can see one HERE). While the issue was one big development and tease for what's coming up, we had the chance to talk to Scott Snyder about the issue to see what we could pry out of him about Harper Row, Catwoman and more. We also asked about the lack of Riddler in Zero Year and the possibility of seeing even MORE Zero Year stories in the future.

Obviously there'll be some spoilers for BATMAN #28, but you really should have read it already.

No Caption Provided

COMIC VINE: You kept referring to issue 28 as a "spoiler issue." Were you being facetious or did you really mean it as spoilers to what's coming up in ETERNAL?

SCOTT SNYDER: Both. I mean, we did have some fun with the wordplay but seriously, it's an issue that's jam-packed with hints and reveals about what's coming up in ETERNAL and in BATMAN itself and in other series too like CATWOMAN for the next year.

CV: Okay, and I'm not even going to ask you specifics on the issue because I know you're not going to answer anything. We're going to have to wait.

SS: Yeah, I'm going to be pretty cagey about that.

CV: You've mentioned the issue takes place around issue 39 of ETERNAL. How detailed do you, James, and the others have everything mapped out?

SS: Pretty detailed. We've had two big summits about ETERNAL already where we all actually came to town together. We sat for like two days each time and wrote on a big white board. We mapped it out pretty thoroughly. We really do know where the big parts of the story fall. My job on ETERNAL is really to stay out of everybody's way. It's really James [Tynion IV], Tim [Seeley], Ray [Fawkes], Kyle [Higgins] and John [Layman] who are doing the work on it.

When I came up with the story with James, the big machinery of the plot, and the way the story has evolved under them, was just terrific to see. I'm really really proud of the work they're doing on it and I'm excited to enjoy the Gotham they're creating.

No Caption Provided

CV: Who came up with Harper's new code name?

DETECTIVE COMICS #27
    DETECTIVE COMICS #27

SS: I came up with it, consulting with James. My thinking was, it has a lot to do with her history actually. It deals with her mother and the mystery surrounding that. We want to do something that's different. If you look at DETECTIVE 27, there's a case that says "Bluebird" in one of the future Batman's caves. We really have plans for the name and the kind of mythology surrounding her and some other characters we want to bring it to.

CV: Can we assume it will be in ETERNAL that we see her continued evolution and training?

SS: Yeah, you'll see her really grow in ETERNAL and then she'll come back into BATMAN. Catwoman, similarly, will kind of grow in ETERNAL and in CATWOMAN you'll see some great stuff about her rise to power and stuff as well.

CV: Speaking of CATWOMAN, will the continuity between ETERNAL and other series, like CATWOMAN be tight?

SS: Yeah, we want it to be. We're going to try to make it as tight as we can. We really want the status of her as the new Kingpin of Crime of Gotham to be something we all get to play with. For me, honestly, it's one of the most fun things I've been able to write in a while, in terms of a supporting character--a character that isn't Bruce Wayne. This status, we want it to be something that really sticks for a while where she is one of the most powerful people in the city, if not one of the most powerful outside of Batman. And, you know, she deserves it. She's awesome. Catwoman has waited a long time to take control. I really feel like now she needs a bit of vengeance on the city because of what happens in ETERNAL. This is the way she does it. She makes power. Right now she's a force to be reckoned with.

No Caption Provided

CV: That's great to hear. Will Gotham be locked down from the rest of the New 52 Universe? Will we have to worry about the Justice League trying to come in and deal with whatever this big problem is?

SS: It's going to be the way it has been. Sometimes some of those characters come in for fun but, Gotham is Gotham. It's its own neighborhood. It's like its own little universe and we're having fun in it.

CV: Shifting gears to Zero Year, we haven't physically seen a lot of Riddler. Can we assume that's going to change in the next issue?

SS: Yeah. Yup. Riddler comes front and center really soon. In the section coming up, in Savage City in 30-33, you couldn't ask for more Riddler. He'll be getting more screen time in as big a way as he does.You couldn't ask for more of him than you'll get in that section.

Tokyo Moon?
    Tokyo Moon?

CV: With the way Riddler's being built up, as such a great character during Zero Year, have you thought about how he's going to appear in the present? Where does he go after this?

SS: Honestly, I haven't really said this, I have a transition mapped out in my head a little bit, how he goes from being this larger than-life-villain to being the Riddler that we know in the New 52. I've always wanted to do something where he has a relationship with Batman and it really hones Batman's detective skills. He is sort of the greatest challenge for him as a detective and that's the core of Batman prides himself on. He's the smartest guy that can save Gotham. He's more than a fighter or an engineer of amazing gadgets and stuff like that. For me, I love the idea of using Riddler as both from Zero Year to the present and in the present and acknowledging who he was in the past.

CV: While you're wrapping up the final Zero Year issues and also looking forward with ETERNAL, is there any chance of you revisiting the Zero Year timeline in future issues?

SS: Yeah, very much. If it were up to me, I'm having so much fun with Zero Year and young, kind of angry/wild Bruce. I could write it another year and have it be another year of his life. I would love to do that. We could show how he met a number of his villains and heroes. It's something I really do hope to return to, if not in a miniseries type form, then at least touching upon it in BATMAN through flashbacks.

No Caption Provided

I'm seeing what I can do, between us, on the record. Between you and me and everyone reading this. I definitely would love to continuing seeing these adventures of Batman in his early years. It's something I'm really hoping we can do.

CV: So we should start writing letters to DC?

SS: I would say, absolutely. Start writing them. I will give you Dan DiDio's home address. And you guys all start writing letters to him. And don't redact it. I'll give you his home address.

Okay everyone, get your pens and stationary out and start writing those letters. BATMAN #28 is now on sale. BATMAN ETERNAL #1 is on sale April 9, 2014.

Avatar image for stmichalofwilson
    StMichalofWilson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 107

Really epic stuff this issue! Can't wait to read what happens next!

Master_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 1

Scott Snyder- BATGOD

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

I thought John Layman was off Eternal?

mak13131313

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 7

Awesome stuff! I have been enjoying Zero Year immensely and I can't wait for the next issue of Batman. Scott Snyder has been hitting on all cylinders with this story. Of course he's been doing that his entire run on Batman! And I am so excited for Batman Eternal, April can't get here soon enough!

Avatar image for knightofthechronicle
    knightofthechronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

Man I can't wait to get this issue. I'm actually considering trekking through six inches of snow to get to my comic shop. Anyway, Eternal's looking to be an absolute thrill ride, April can't come any sooner.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

#6  Edited By gmanfromheck

@jonny_anonymous: I'm trying to get clarification. Maybe he started some stuff? Laid out some groundwork?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 32

@g_man said:

@jonny_anonymous: I'm trying to get clarification. Maybe he started some stuff? Laid out some groundwork?

I remember reading an interview where he said after Detective Comics he was finished with DC for the moment and wants to work more on his creator owned stuff but maybe he had already done some Eternal stuff by then.

Nahuel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#8  Edited By Nahuel

I would prefer to see a continuation of Zero Year in a story arc of Batman & Robin...

Anyways, Scott is killing it in Batman, so i'm fine with whatever happens!

detective38

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Between me and you and everyone reading this scott snyder I really hope you don't stay on zero year for another year.

Jenkale

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#10  Edited By Jenkale

around issue 39? so got to wait 39 issues to pick up batman eternal, will do.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm so happy to see Catwoman back on the wrong side of the law. I got sick of her kowtowing to Batman.

WarDishy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By WarDishy_

@g_man: I believe he's done 4 issues? Not sure if the first 4 are his or 4 after that but he's definitely done something.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

it's unfortunate that Catwoman plays a part in Eternal while Nocenti is still writing her ongoing

Avatar image for the_mighty_monarch
    The Mighty Monarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1450

User Lists: 4

I don't have faith that Ann Nocenti will be able to make this Catwoman work in her solo title. I mean, of course, I don't have faith that Ann Nocenti can write literally anything with any level of competence, but still.

Wilbertus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

Give me Dan Dido's home address already!!

TDK_1997

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 153

User Lists: 13

It seems like Snyder has big plans for Batman's future and what he said about Catwoman sounds pretty interesting but the part is that Nocenti is still writing her and that is the worst news you can get.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

#17  Edited By the_tree

@the_mighty_monarch: I thought Sholly Fisch was taking over Catwoman. If that's not true then, yeah, it'll be a disappointment.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By EnigmaLantern

I must of missed a post or something but is Batman Eternal an ongoing or a limited series, and if so how long will it be if it's a limited series? I've heard it's going to be weekly but that's about it.

EDIT: When I say "limited series" I mean as a mini series or a series with a given number of issues.

the_tree

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 14

@enigmalantern: It's a weekly maxi-series with a minimum of 40 issues.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Mucklefluga

I want a Zero Year ongoing!

HexThis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'm scared for Catwoman, I don't mind her being a little badass but please do not Talia Al Ghul-her.

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By BR_Havoc

Sounds interesting, but doing a weekly series takes a great team of editors to keep it together something DC does not have right now.

MonkeyToe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

This was a good read.

Lvenger

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 50

User Lists: 18

#25  Edited By Lvenger

Whilst I haven't been the biggest fan of Scott Snyder's Batman run, I can't deny he's certainly ramping things up for Batman now. Selina as the Kingpin of Gotham's underworld, Spoiler playing a vital role, Harper as Batman's new partner and Gotham starting to look like something out of 1984. At least Snyder's changing the status quo up in Gotham now.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_tree: aha alright, thanks for the clear up!

2cool4fun

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#28  Edited By 2cool4fun

I'm not a fan of what they are going to do with Catwoman, I mean she has been nothing but butchered in th enew 52, they could at least try to get a decent writer on her comic, before doing this...

Also am I the only one who thinks Batman has more then enough sidekicks/spinoff characters. I mean enough is enough, since Harper and her bro are already being the new ones, I just hope we don't get any new Gotham heroes for the next 20 years.

I mean we have:

Batman

Batwoman

Nightwing

Batgirl

Red Hood

Black Bat ( who they still didn't do anything with, yet they introduced so many new characters )

Red Robin

Spoiler

Robin

Harper

Her Brother ( cause I'm pretty sure he is the one in the batcave )

Huntress

Azreal

Batwing

Talon

Plus Catwoman & Harley have their own series.

I mean enough is F-ING enough

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#29  Edited By LyraFay

@tdk_1997: Well there's going to be a new Catwoman writer, so maybe they can put it right.

Eivion

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Wow, I pretty much loathe the plans for Catwoman.

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis: Holy balls! I hadn't thought of that. Oh no! Keep her motivations simple and her reasoning rational DC! Make part of us want to root for her. Give us a really bad thing Bruce did to her. Please don't make her go Al Ghul crazy on us.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

@jaken7: You'd rather Bruce be made to look like a douche? To be honest I'm getting tired of douche/incompetent Batman from all FE/Justice League. I hope its something where he had no choice.

Avatar image for deactivated-5edd330f57b65
    deactivated-5edd330f57b65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Sounds really awesome. Snyder has been doing some amazing stuff on Batman and the way he's talking it sounds like its only going to get better. And I fully support harper row all the way here

Avatar image for gustavoburciaga1
    GustavoBurciaga1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

After Zero Year I kinda want to see more of a closure in Batman for what happened to robin. I just feel like they never really got any closure on Damian's death in the Batman series. They kinda just ended it with Clayface taunting Bruce by turning into Damian but that's it. I mean yeah they had closure in the Batman and Robin title but I feel like Scott Snyder could have added more to what Bruce was dealing with emotionally on the behalf of his true blooded son dying.

wowlock

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hexthis said:

I'm scared for Catwoman, I don't mind her being a little badass but please do not Talia Al Ghul-her.

I second that. It is great for her to get power and such but turning her into a heartless villian ( taking away her unique walking between the lines approach ) would take from her character for me. Besides, Batman have enough bad relations to go on, now turning Catwoman into Batman-murdering mood is not really ''original''

Either way, there must be something so drastic to change things this much in Eternal and I am sorry but I am still not sold on ''So-called Fan favorite '' Harper Row. Considering the recent events like Dick being exposed by Crime Syndicate and beaten+ interrogated along with Damian getting killed... She must've done something REALLY big to get into that position.

Well I am just happy to see Stephanie back. Now if only they would give us a Cassandra teaser :)

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By JakeN7

@papinacho: Johns has already done enough damage to make me not care how he writes him anymore. I'd rather at least use him to build Catwoman's character.

PapiNacho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By TakeLuutzen

@gustavoburciaga1: I second that! The grief proces for Damien was way too short! Pete Tomasi did an okay job, but i would love to see what Snyder make of the grieving proces

JakeN7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@takeluutzen: Okay job? Did you read Batman and Robin #18? Goddamn work of art.

TheBlueAngel93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: -1

I can't wait to see what Scott and the other Bat-Writers have in store for Batman and the rest of Gotham.

COBRAMORPH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By COBRAMORPH

they need to fix Harper's hair.

Then retcon her so that she established herself as an independant hero & is just teaming up with Batman. Get her out of Gotham.

Make a team of her, Spoiler, Bettie Kane, being lead by Katana & Helena Bertinelli completely away & removed from Bat-nonsense.

Stop trying to create new characters & establish them as big legit names by tieing them into Batman. It didnt help Katana any.

PopRock123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I love Snyder Batman run so I have faith in what he is doing but I'm neutral on the catwomen thing but I won't judge until I see it play out.

TakeLuutzen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@jaken7: Yeah i did! Pete Tomasi is doing a great job with the grieving proces, now i would like to see how Snyder touches that...

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.