Interview: Scott Snyder on BATMAN #10's Big Revelations - SPOILERS!!!

• 79 results
#51 Posted by WrenchNinja (20 posts) - - Show Bio

Didn't Snyder specifically say in some interview that this arc would have nothing to do with Owlman?

#52 Posted by Wowlock (207 posts) - - Show Bio

The run itself is quite good but as said , Gotham always being this ''supervillian'' filled cesspool even before Batman, kinda reduce his importance a little. I would say what made Gotham/Batman's connection special is the tragedy that caused Batman to become a hero also altered Gotham forever. Just like Hugo Strange said in Batman Arkham City ''Your presence creates these animals ! '' and now you have Talons running the show far too long before Batman and you wonder ''Was Batman's importance all this time an illusion ? '' Because even when Bruce was time-travelling, he made impact on Every Age in Gotham area and now you have Court of Owls basicly owning the city without Batman's notice.

I mean it is a big reveal don't get me wrong and set up for a great story of Batman caught unaware. But as said, what's after this ? It will be tough to take Batman's influence to the heart in the future since we now know Court of Owls basicly have their fingers in every pot.

That is one of the reasons I don't like the reboot , too vague of a past to understand and fit the pieces together on top of revelations each chapter.

#53 Posted by SlamAdams (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@Wowlock said:

The run itself is quite good but as said , Gotham always being this ''supervillian'' filled cesspool even before Batman, kinda reduce his importance a little. I would say what made Gotham/Batman's connection special is the tragedy that caused Batman to become a hero also altered Gotham forever. Just like Hugo Strange said in Batman Arkham City ''Your presence creates these animals ! '' and now you have Talons running the show far too long before Batman and you wonder ''Was Batman's importance all this time an illusion ? '' Because even when Bruce was time-travelling, he made impact on Every Age in Gotham area and now you have Court of Owls basicly owning the city without Batman's notice.

I mean it is a big reveal don't get me wrong and set up for a great story of Batman caught unaware. But as said, what's after this ? It will be tough to take Batman's influence to the heart in the future since we now know Court of Owls basicly have their fingers in every pot.

That is one of the reasons I don't like the reboot , too vague of a past to understand and fit the pieces together on top of revelations each chapter.

I disagree. I mean, the Court of Owls is a very different kind of villain than say the Joker or Two-Face or Riddler. Those kind of theatrical, flamboyant costumed villains can still be attributed to a form of escalation to Batman. The Court of Owls was a secret organization. it has more in common with the League of Assassins, something eternal originating long before there was a Batman. This new Talon (March's super-geared-up Talon) would be the kind of escalation you are talking about and what Strange was talking about. So I think Batman's effect on Gotham's criminal element still applies.

#54 Posted by DEGRAAF (7876 posts) - - Show Bio

@wessaari: I knew about the Talon wannabe. He said that the Court of Owls didnt want him. But i am saying by them actually having character in the DCU that is a talon, that came from the circus and that mainly uses his acrobatic skills to fight imo cheapens Dicks uniqueness. I didn't know he used to have a brother. That's interesting. I have only been reading comics for about 6 years but i dont remember any mention of him. I just figured he would have been talked about more at least by Alfred

#55 Posted by bethetroubleyouwanttosee (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I am just wondering about the car crash that Bruce is in with Martha. If Bruce is three or four then how is it that he does not really remember the accident? I love what has been going on and it is a great read, I love it when things start to make sense and people are pulling out the tiny little secrets from past issues, but I would think that something like a car crash would still be in the mind of Bruce. Bruce remembered to grab the shell casings from his parents murder but he can not remember the car crash? It is not as if the trauma was so great as to cause Bruce to not remember it, if that was the case then he would have blocked out his parents deaths.

I cannot wait to see what comes in the future batman issues of the entire family, and it is great to see more things dealing with batman beyond which I have missed recently and hope that it comes back with a vengeance!

#56 Posted by Rise2Ragnarok (139 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm curious if Harper is going to appear in issue #0 since she had interactions with Batman in the past.

#57 Posted by thveej (203 posts) - - Show Bio

I have a suspicion that there is way more to this story than this issue lets on. Batman has been great, the Lincon reveal wasn't like OMG, I actually thought about it before but I was like that is waaaaaaaaay too dumb. Anyway Synder did a good job with it and I'm almost positive there is more to it than the revelation shown in this issue.

#58 Posted by SlamAdams (299 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rise2Ragnarok said:

I'm curious if Harper is going to appear in issue #0 since she had interactions with Batman in the past.

I'm pretty sure thats what Snyder meant by her appearing in issue 12

#59 Posted by G-Man (32168 posts) - - Show Bio

@Rise2Ragnarok: I can't wait to see more of Harper. And can I officially pat myself on the back for catching that she'd be an important character from issue #1? I can't believe more people aren't talking about her.

Staff
#60 Posted by YMCMB (160 posts) - - Show Bio

If Harper is gonna be a major character I hope they make her a bit nicer to look at...cause in issue 7 she was kinda ughhh

#61 Edited by Zeeguy91 (1104 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap: Um...did you not read the issue. The Court of Owls still didn't have anything to do with the Waynes' deaths. Lincoln (Thomas) basically says so himself It was still just a mugging.

All that was revealed in this issue was that the Waynes were targeted by the Court in the past, but its also still true that their deaths were a tragic accident. It was not, I repeat NOT planned by the Court.

#62 Posted by supermanprime6 (111 posts) - - Show Bio

What amazes me about this is that this is truly comic book history being made. I never thought I'd see the introduction of a new, lasting character in my time. I just always thought the main characters' stories would just get rewritten and rewritten over and over. We see new characters all the time, but they quickly fall to the background and are only seen again in major crossover events, but Lincoln March and the Court will be around for the rest of DC's history. Snyder is genius.

#63 Posted by cellot (80 posts) - - Show Bio

The image by issue 11 is really gorgeous.

#64 Posted by FanofUltraman (153 posts) - - Show Bio

So I think the real question is... if DC is striving to avoid doubles in the New 52 Multiverse and there already is an Owlman on the mainstream Earth, who will be Batman's counterpart on Earth-3?

#65 Posted by DarthShap (875 posts) - - Show Bio

@Zeeguy91 said:

@DarthShap: Um...did you not read the issue. The Court of Owls still didn't have anything to do with the Waynes' deaths. Lincoln (Thomas) basically says so himself It was still just a mugging.

All that was revealed in this issue was that the Waynes were targeted by the Court in the past, but its also still true that their deaths were a tragic accident. It was not, I repeat NOT planned by the Court.

When did I ever say they had something to do with the Waynes' death? I know they do not. That is why I said nothing of the sort.

#66 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

@erik_norris said:

@johnny_spam: Right. I love Morrison, LOVE HIM, but I think Snyder pulled off a very Morrison twist here better than Morrison did in RIP.

This.

I think Snyder's run may just be my favorite Batman run, ever.

#67 Posted by johnny_spam (2035 posts) - - Show Bio

@Babs:If you like it that is fine but to me it feels way to familiar like other stories for me to really enjoy personally.

#68 Posted by monkeyonurback_ (84 posts) - - Show Bio
@bethetroubleyouwanttosee: okay granted i don't know where the story is going from #10, snyder might explain this differently / better but i think that this can actually happen! when kids parents die in real life or they're put up for adoption they can actually forget completely their original parents / lives. so i think the fact that bruce was so young it would have made it difficult for him to remember in the first place, he'd have been so absorbed in his own little world hidden away in wayne manor. then there's the fact that so soon after the crash, his parents died. alfred wasn't there when thomas jr was so he couldn't really be like "your parents are gone but you still have your brother!" and i think just the fact he was CONSTANTLY reminded of his parents death was another reason. so many things happened when he was so young he only remembers the big parts that have really shaped him today. he might have a couple memories we'll find out about next month! who knows! god, i'm excited for this conclusion!
#69 Posted by Cavemold (1679 posts) - - Show Bio

@rise to ragornok Roy will be in issue 12

#70 Posted by kennybaese (1110 posts) - - Show Bio

@DarthShap said:

@kennyshat said:

Fair enough. I think it fits given the amount of backstory we've been getting on Gotham in things like Return of Bruce Wayne and Gates of Gotham (less the specific events, which seem to hold, but more the general feel). Secret societies hardly seem like a new thing to Gotham because of stories like that so the idea doesn't bother me as much.

Except that Morrison's return of Bruce Wayne used temporal paradox to explain it. Morrison did not go against this central idea he helped to shape. Batman still has this effect on what surrounds him. It just also happened in the past because of Batman's time travel and the hyper-adapter following him (which infected a XVIIIth century "Thomas Wayne").

As for Gates of Gotham, on the contrary the architect was not a supervillain at all, just a guy in his work suit who lost it and made everything up.

In my opinion, there is a big difference between those storylines and something like the Court of Owls.

On the architect, I think you can describe pretty much any given Batman villain as someone who "lost it" can't you?

#71 Posted by russia599 (93 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the court of the owls so much and Snyder is doing an amazing job on Batman.

#72 Posted by DrThanos91 (86 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm looking forward to this!

#73 Posted by FelixStrange (13 posts) - - Show Bio

I look forward to seeing where this leads, DC is kicking ass since The New 52 started

#74 Posted by catgyrl (4 posts) - - Show Bio

The writing in this book so far has been Off The Hook - the best of the New 52.

As for the big reveal - eh - clone.

Yes, that's a guess.

#75 Posted by zombietag (1493 posts) - - Show Bio

best book from the 52 hands down. and scott snyder seems like a great guy, great work from everyone. totally loving this book!

#76 Posted by ErnestM (6 posts) - - Show Bio

I really loved this issue.

#77 Posted by jaredbright (204 posts) - - Show Bio

If any book can pull this off, it's this one. YO usee so many 'out of the air' moments of big things happening in the past few years and people not buying it. From a Marvel perspective we go stuff like Wolverine's fabulous origin that isn't that interesting. Other stuff I think I blocked from my memory. Spider-man... stuff. I'm sure Amazing Spidey 700 will have Peter's long lost brother/sister.

On another postive note, I can't tell you have great the art is. Capullo is beyond fantastic. IT's like his characters move or something.

#78 Posted by Aph8825 (59 posts) - - Show Bio

Awesome issue! Cant wait for #11

#79 Posted by yo_yo_fun (643 posts) - - Show Bio

Great issue!

I'm so glad the Court of Owls didn't have anything to do with the Wayne's death.

Can't wait for issue #11!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.