Scott Lobdell Answers YOUR Questions (Even Ones About Starfire): October Edition

• 82 results
#51 Edited by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

Can we stop doing these questions with Lobdell? Every time i read an interview or an article about him i dislike him more and more. I feel like he's just constantly defending himself and despite all the criticism, refuses to change. He took all the softball questions, and never gave a straight answer on the starfire issue, which despite what he seems to think, IS an issue. Starfire is the most recognizable of the Outlaws, and even he doesn't think so, he had her acting like a dumb whore. which is unacceptable. Starfire was a very emotion-driven, friendly, bright woman. Did she like sex? Yeah. But that didn't define her. He claims she's an alien and an outsider, but Starfire is supposed to be the sweet nice sunny girl. Not another aloof emo-hero. He doesn't get her and not only does he claim to, but he refuses to listen to our feedback.

He clearly has no appreciation or understanding for/of the characters he's writing and it's sickening to see these characters treated this way. Beyond the whole Starfire thing, Teen Titans was a pile of steaming garbage and Booth's art made my eyes vomit. He clearly doesn't care about who the characters were.

He says:

"Honestly, Fodigg, I don't want to write a book that everyone who picks it up universally agrees is brilliant, or perfect."

Really? That's bullshit. Nobody doesn't want to write a mass appeal book. And the books he's writing have specific target audiences, teenagers and kids. And this old man is too disconnected to really get a proper Teen voice to appeal to anyone outside hardcore DC fans.

If you took off the title on Teen Titans, would anyone recognize them? No. Which is the complete opposite of the reboot. Sucks to Suck Lobdell.

#52 Posted by Mbecks14 (2068 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg: Damn! Zap Zap! You just fried him with complete mature grace and attitude. Respect levels at maximum.

#53 Posted by Gerhabio (16 posts) - - Show Bio

@TadThuggish said:

Damn, so true!

#54 Posted by daredevil21134 (9190 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

Hmmm. I actually really liked his Starfire answers.

Really?Hell Yeah

#55 Posted by daredevil21134 (9190 posts) - - Show Bio

GO SCOTT!!! ALL CASTE IS TIGHT!!!

#56 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

He answered my question? Woah! How nice, thankies for pickin' mine!^^

Love that he took the time, once more, to answer these (sometimes) annoying questions.

Thank you very much Mr. Lobdell!

And Raven soon! Yay!

#57 Posted by CATPANEXE (9366 posts) - - Show Bio

I mean no disrespect, but I was reading the article until...

Can I haz Raven? She is seriously missed...

I almost never do this, but… stay tuned.'

And then I you know, went into this whole hand-flapping spazzy happy thing and spaced out.

Um, keep up the good work. * whispers " Raven " and grins *

#58 Posted by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis said:

@fodigg: Oh my.

Just...just so much WIN in your last two posts. Overloading on winning-ness. Huzzah! Huzzah!

@Mbecks14 said:

@fodigg: Damn! Zap Zap! You just fried him with complete mature grace and attitude. Respect levels at maximum.

Thanks to you both! But again, my questions were poorly worded so I can't really blame him for giving me the answers he did. Still, I am encouraged to hear that he has plans for her to be her own person, I just hope those plans materialize on the page quickly or the book will suffer for it.

#59 Posted by postman (25 posts) - - Show Bio

So what have we learned from this QnA? To make sure to always ask very specific and detailed questions.

#60 Posted by BurnSide (53 posts) - - Show Bio

@danhimself: oh it's definitly him? must have missed that somehow, thanks!

#61 Posted by danhimself (21912 posts) - - Show Bio

@BurnSide: well it's definitely not Wally lol

#62 Posted by Vinyl (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Way to miss the point about Starfire entirely.

#63 Posted by The_Mercenary (1877 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for giving up your own time to entertain us Viners, mr.Lobdell =)

#64 Posted by sentryman555 (656 posts) - - Show Bio

Most people that have a problem with Starfire seem to just want lobdell to admit he was wrong or apologize. He already said he wasn't going to apologize and to wait and see how her character develops. I know some people don't want to wait till issue 6 or something for answers about why Starfire acts the way she does now but Lobdell, for me, has been doing great on all his titles so I'm inclined to trust him enough to see where he's going with the Starfire angle.

#65 Edited by fodigg (6094 posts) - - Show Bio

@sentryman555 said:

Most people that have a problem with Starfire seem to just want lobdell to admit he was wrong or apologize. He already said he wasn't going to apologize and to wait and see how her character develops. I know some people don't want to wait till issue 6 or something for answers about why Starfire acts the way she does now but Lobdell, for me, has been doing great on all his titles so I'm inclined to trust him enough to see where he's going with the Starfire angle.

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'm just looking for him to say that he understands exactly what our critique is, even if he disagrees with us. Or, that he presents some plan that will address the issue. I'm not looking to blame him for something. He's obviously a talented writer or Superboy wouldn't kick anywhere near so much ass (and there's a book with two strong, vibrant female characters).

The frustration you're seeing is probably because he has, as far as I know, never enunciated our critiques back to us clearly. He instead comes across as dismissive or by painting all critics in the same shades as the worst, most uniformed examples of them. That concerns us because, well, we want his Starfire to succeed and we feel he can produce something that satisfies those who want sexy Starfire as well as those who want a well-rounded Starfire, if only he'd indicate in any way that he understands our concerns.

The act of critiquing the work should not be understood as an attack on the creator. Anyone who stoops to that does Lobdell a disservice. That said, it'd be nice if he did us the favor of digging into the meaningful criticism instead of doubling down with sentiments like:

• "A lot of people like it the way it is (and there are less critics than people think)"
  • "I have no plans to change it because if I changed it I'd just have a whole bunch of other people pissed off at me"
  • "Some of my critics have been jerks"
  • "My Starfire is interesting and alien and … and you shouldn't judge her just on one issue; wait till you see issue six"

The above is what I've seen, although I've only seen maybe 3 interviews with him tops, so it's not like there's overwhelming data against him or anything. But on these points, the first two depend on a false dichotomy of fans/haters and doesn't allow for the possibility that a better product could be marketed that people on both sides would enjoy, the third is almost certainly true but I don't think it's fair to treat all critics dismissively because some people are dicks, and the last is basically asking us for a leap of faith at the same time he's vowing not to change anything, so it isn't really a great sell.

So that's why people might seem frustrated, although I want to reiterate that some of his comments here make me hopeful he'll give Starfire her own personal subplot that provides her with personal agency and some "roundedness." So there's hope.

#66 Posted by Airawyn (1 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone who's only reading the DC and CBR Message Boards is getting a skewed sample of the audience. The misogyny and homophobia allowed on those boards has driven away the kind of fans who would dislike Lobdell's version of Starfire. But hey, enjoy the cheering section in your little bubble, Mr. Lobdell. I'm sure alienating tons of Jason Todd fans won't hurt your sales. Women don't read comics, anyway.

#67 Posted by Alch21 (208 posts) - - Show Bio

LONG LIVE RED HOOD AND THE OUTLAWS. New Starfire rocks!! New Superboy rocks too!! Oh man this guys jokes.

#68 Posted by Pauldro (127 posts) - - Show Bio

I wonder if Red Robin and Jason would fight again, that seems pretty awesome

and if he will have any more outlaws join Jason

#69 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@fodigg said:

@sentryman555 said:

I can't speak for anyone else, but personally I'm just looking for him to say that he understands exactly what our critique is, even if he disagrees with us. Or, that he presents some plan that will address the issue. I'm not looking to blame him for something. He's obviously a talented writer or Superboy wouldn't kick anywhere near so much ass (and there's a book with two strong, vibrant female characters).

The frustration you're seeing is probably because he has, as far as I know, never enunciated our critiques back to us clearly. He instead comes across as dismissive or by painting all critics in the same shades as the worst, most uniformed examples of them. That concerns us because, well, we want his Starfire to succeed and we feel he can produce something that satisfies those who want sexy Starfire as well as those who want a well-rounded Starfire, if only he'd indicate in any way that he understands our concerns.

The act of critiquing the work should not be understood as an attack on the creator. Anyone who stoops to that does Lobdell a disservice. That said, it'd be nice if he did us the favor of digging into the meaningful criticism instead of doubling down with sentiments like:

• "A lot of people like it the way it is (and there are less critics than people think)"
  • "I have no plans to change it because if I changed it I'd just have a whole bunch of other people pissed off at me"
  • "Some of my critics have been jerks"
  • "My Starfire is interesting and alien and … and you shouldn't judge her just on one issue; wait till you see issue six"

The above is what I've seen, although I've only seen maybe 3 interviews with him tops, so it's not like there's overwhelming data against him or anything. But on these points, the first two depend on a false dichotomy of fans/haters and doesn't allow for the possibility that a better product could be marketed that people on both sides would enjoy, the third is almost certainly true but I don't think it's fair to treat all critics dismissively because some people are dicks, and the last is basically asking us for a leap of faith at the same time he's vowing not to change anything, so it isn't really a great sell.

So that's why people might seem frustrated, although I want to reiterate that some of his comments here make me hopeful he'll give Starfire her own personal subplot that provides her with personal agency and some "roundedness." So there's hope.

This. :) Fodigg, again with the winning-ness!

#70 Posted by Alch21 (208 posts) - - Show Bio

Anyone figure out who this Danny guy is, the said 8th memeber who predates Teen Titans and knows Tim Drake?

#71 Posted by vanityman (1 posts) - - Show Bio

my first thought was danny chase---but i think the more interesting answer would be blue devil--dan cassidy

#72 Posted by Outside_85 (7161 posts) - - Show Bio

Not sure if he's doing it on purpose but Lobdell is sadly pushing my buttons every time...

And oh no...why does it have to be Lobdell that gets Raven and not Milligan?

#73 Edited by Outside_85 (7161 posts) - - Show Bio
@RainEffect said:

"I'll say I didn't expect this to happen again.

That is because -- based on your posts on other boards -- you think I am a coward."

Owned.

You could probably read into my other postings that I think he is though I never outright wrote that...but what else would you say about a man who sparks this amount of negative debate (maybe there's only 6 loud ppl on the DC boards wailing against him, but there's only 2 claiming its great) and responds by first falling off the grid instead of defending his creation and now deflects actual questions regarding his own work?
#74 Posted by postman (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: What the hell do you mean he fell off the grid? The guy is writing three freaking monthly books, it's a miracle that he has time to answer questions like this.

#75 Posted by Alch21 (208 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: ITS U!!!

#76 Posted by Outside_85 (7161 posts) - - Show Bio
@postman: And people like Johns Lee and Didio have time to attend Comic Cons and give truck loads of interviews?
#77 Posted by postman (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@Outside_85: Well I'm guessing that Johns, Lee, and Didio make time for interviews and Comic Cons, despite their busy schedules, because they are the Top 3 bosses at DC Comics and it's their job to represent the company. That is not the case for Lobdell who is only a freelance writer, the two QnAs he has done here on Comic Vine were not obligations, they were courtesies.

#78 Posted by Zur_En_Arrh (26 posts) - - Show Bio

A little late to comment, but let just say, for a long time now I've felt that the one thing the comics industry is lacking, besides the same publicity video games or movies get, is comic writers with balls. Mr Lobdell, you are one such writer.

So please, for the true believers out there if not just for me,keep it up. Reinvent, re-imagine, thrill, anger, change, make the comics you work on truly exciting and unpredictable and dont let a bunch of naysayers who foam at the mouth at the thought of a comic that does not strictly adhere to their own personal idea of the universe and all its workings.

We need talent that will help grow, change, and shake up the established status quo, I want to thrill at a mainstream comic book, and many of the new 52 teams, including yourself Scott, are making that dream a reality now, today. I thank you for your risks, even those I don't approve of, and hope you live long and prosper. ;)

#79 Posted by Gale (2 posts) - - Show Bio

But to call a woman a derogatory term because you don't agree with her choices -- whether she's a comic book character or a girl in your high school or a woman standing on a street corner -- that isn't a conversation I'm willing to have with someone.

I'm kinda raising an eyebrow at this. I mean, yeah, it's a great message, and a great deal of the fan reaction has been pretty disgusting, but... I don't find it especially convincing when the character in question has spent more time making sexy poses towards the fourth wall and talking like a teenage boy's masturbation fantasy than acting like a real person. "A woman's choices are her own" doesn't really excuse you from writing people like they're people, and so far, Starfire hasn't exactly been a success story in that regard.

Not to cast judgement too early, of course. I'll be curious to see where she goes from here. I honestly hope that she'll develop into a perfectly well-rounded character in future issues. I'm not exactly filled with confidence, but I'm hopeful.

Or basically what fodigg has been saying. He's already covered most of my concerns pretty well.

#80 Posted by flamebird (2 posts) - - Show Bio

"a girl with a blue cloak named Raven (Huh? Why?)" I want to point out the fact that Raven wasn't her codename so much as it was her actual name - much like Donna Troy, Luke Cage, or Jean Grey.

#81 Posted by UnosInfinitos (148 posts) - - Show Bio

Can someone please direct to the book that portrayed Starfire as straw-feminazi nun? Because I have no idea how pin-up cheesecake Starfire of yesteryear is any different than pin-up cheesecake Starfire of New-52.

#82 Posted by Morgaine_Levesque (2095 posts) - - Show Bio

@UnosInfinitos said:

Can someone please direct to the book that portrayed Starfire as straw-feminazi nun? Because I have no idea how pin-up cheesecake Starfire of yesteryear is any different than pin-up cheesecake Starfire of New-52.

This has been addressed several times in several different places. It's not the fan service that's the issue. Nor is it the fact that she slept with two different men. It's the fact that she has basically no personality and on top of that retains little memories. It's the overall vibe of the character that she's this mindless thing that doesn't give a f*ck about A. who she sleeps with B. that she can't remember her past (or is choosing to forget it) and C. the other things mentioned. It's all of these combined together that rubs people the wrong way.

And on top of that, Lobdell is being willfully ignorant.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.