Interview: Scott Lobdell on Superboy, Jason Todd and Tim Drake Not Being 'Robin'

• 105 results
#101 Posted by ezepandamx (5 posts) - - Show Bio

@UltimateSMfan: TOO true, I think it was a big slip up!

#102 Posted by Comiclove5 (1255 posts) - - Show Bio

@Falconer said:

To that end, I think Tim Drake fans can rest comfortably that most of the stories they've read remain canon -- even if they have to adjust their thinking to the way they remember those stories playing out.

Aaaand this is why people complain about the reboot. Nothing actually had thought put into it.

I haven't been reading long, but I think it's total horse crap he's pretty much saying "you have to remember your favorite stories differently now, why? because I said so." If nothing has changed that much, why say Tim wasn't a Robin in the first place? Lobdell is being different solely for the sake of being different.

(That, or he's trying to apply logic to something a higher up at DC told him to do. "Oh shit, this five year thing doesn't make sense for Batman... okay, Tim was never a Robin, DONE. *cue conspiracy theories*)

I will continue reading new, good stories in DC, but this makes no damn sense.

Really cause this really feels like an editoral decision

#103 Posted by havoc1201 (490 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that it was a bad move to change tims history i mean he was robin since the late 80s Jason Todd was around for what barley 6 years but now Jason was robin for the longest? i dont know why they decided that they would change Tims character for no reason except that the new time line didnt work with Tim as robin. Dumb Dumb, he had the most promise out of any of the Robins and to take that away makes him less of a character.

#104 Posted by cherrymuffiners (2 posts) - - Show Bio

You know, Scott Lobdell, from what I've seen, most of the new 52 writers have stuck to the origin stories of the characters they wrote out of love for the characters themselves, and respect for the writers of the past. Tim Drake is my favorite character, and you are telling me that the Chuck Dixon comics I enjoy so much are 'outdated' because you say so? That they never happened? I guess that makes "Knightfall" pointless, because Tim was Robin in that. Oh, and Grant Morrison! I guess that makes your writing poor and outdated because you wrote stories with Tim as Robin in it, too! At least Snyder and Tomasi appreciate the character enough to admit that Tim used to be Robin their comics!

The past stories are what makes Tim Drake a great character to begin with, and basically every Tim Drake fan out there is a fan because of those stories! You can't just take a character, strip away all the writing that made him into a deep character to begin with, and expect the new readers to start fawning over him. It doesn't work that way! Besides, fans are the ones who spread the popularity of the characters through word of mouth. The writer is the one who gives the fans inspriation to do so to begin with. If you alienate your fans, you will get nowhere.

#105 Posted by cherrymuffiners (2 posts) - - Show Bio

@longbowhunter: YES!!! THANK GOD!!! A CHUCK DIXON FAN!!!! XD

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.