Follow

Schism

Story arc »

An X-Men event that will tear divisions down the mutant nation of Utopia. What mystery threatens the X-Men? Who are the new Hellfire Club? Will the young mutants survive the clash between Cyclops and Wolverine?

X-Men: Prelude?

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By SC  Moderator

CBR: In story terms, Axel has been talking a lot about the stories coming up dealing with a leadership struggle, and as far as I understand it "X-Men: Prelude" will focus each issue on a different character -- the first drawn by Robert De La Torre and the second by Laurence Campbell. Paul Jenkins often does stories for you guys that pull in tight on character work amidst big events. How does this project fit that skill set?

Brevoort: There are two different things. The story coming up focuses not so much on the finite question of, "Who will lead the X-Men?" as much as it does the broader notion of, "Where does the mutant race want or need to be led at this point? Who is in the best position to give that guidance?" Certainly within the books over the past couple of years, the X-Men have drifted away from Professor X's philosophy and onto another path that Cyclops has been forced by circumstances to take them down, along with some other folks -- Wolverine and Rogue and a few others. Paul's story specifically focuses on the four characters who are at the forefront of the leadership question for mutantkind: Professor X, Cyclops, Wolverine and Magneto. Each issue of the series -- because Paul tends to focus on individual 22-page stories even as they all connect in the larger whole -- will paint a picture and give you an idea of what the mindset, direction and directive for each of these guys is going into the next event. And as I said, that'll be less about who leads the team as it will be about, "Where do we go from here?" or, "What is the path we'll choose to follow?" Some degree of optimism has returned with the appearance of Hope and the Five Lights, meaning that maybe the mutant race is not as absolutely on a path to extinction as it seemed over the past couple of years. So what do they do next as a result of this sea-change? Paul's story is very much about who these four characters are as individuals and what their specific philosophies are as we dive into that epic.
    Its 4 issues by the way, but sounds interesting. Grants more validity to that other thread I made the other day on X-Men's future. 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By SC  Moderator

Glad Xavier will be (hopefully) getting some TLC too, I need to try and think of Paul Jenkins stories I have liked as well... still, sounds reasonable... 

doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By doddy

What Wolverine is doing here? He wanna be an X-men Leader?? Maybe Scott will left the X-team, again...

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @doddy said:
    " What Wolverine is doing here? He wanna be an X-men Leader?? Maybe Scott will left the X-team, again... "

Well, there is a rumor floating around, that once Fear Itself is wrapped up, in terms of X-Men, there will be a divide, with Cyclops in one corner and Wolverine in the other. Split teams. 
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 19

#5  Edited By papad1992
    @SC:

X-Men Civil War on a small enough island with mutants taking sides against each other in an all out brawl!?!?!?!?! 

Sounds interesting enough.
    Shadow_Thief

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#6  Edited By Shadow_Thief
    @SC:  I find that odd. Wolverine certainly has solid tactical leadership skills, but he's one of the last people I'd pick to be a torch-carrier. Heck, most of the time he seems to struggle with being part of team, much less a leader. He's done well with X-Force, but I just can't see him in a position where he has to routinely deal with things like diplomacy, public opinion, and global image.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @papad1992 said:
    " @SC: X-Men Civil War on a small enough island with mutants taking sides against each other in an all out brawl!?!?!?!?!  Sounds interesting enough. "

Indeed. Honestly though? I would be as happy as a high hippie rolling in sunflower seeds if there was a battle of words and wit involved with this story as well. Brawl before or after would be icing on a cake stuffed with ice cream, money and hot cosplayers.
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @Shadow_Thief said:
    " @SC:  I find that odd. Wolverine certainly has solid tactical leadership skills, but he's one of the last people I'd pick to be a torch-carrier. Heck, most of the time he seems to struggle with being part of team, much less a leader. He's done well with X-Force, but I just can't see him in a position where he has to routinely deal with things like diplomacy, public opinion, and global image. "

Its worth mentioning that I believe Jason Aaron has been rumored to be the writer tackling Wolverine as the POV character leading a team of X-Men. If your familiar with Aarons writing of Wolverine, his more positive abilities tend to come into play, his vaseline on the camera lens is that little bit more thick, when it comes to Logan, so whilst I agree with you, quite a lot actually lol, I can see how its feasible, with Wolverine's actions with Uncanny X-Force, and Wanda, and having a fan like Aaron writing him, how he can take up this new role almost. Sort of make sense? Plus we still have a few months for all this to reach its boiling over point. Maybe Cyclops steals back Jeans hair that Wolverine keeps in his top socks drawers along with his copy of X-Woman by Chris Claremont and Milo Manara. That sort of action could really start a X-Men Civil War 
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By papad1992
    @SC: First... a lot of food was mentioned in that last post!! :) 

Second.... If Cyclops was on the rational side of mutantkind and Wolverine on the irrational side with all mutants choosing sides then that could be a little interesting!!!!!
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#10  Edited By xerox_kitty

I think I'd rather see an X-Men Civil War instead of 4 issues that focus on the boring old leaders.  I'm so tired of stories revolving around Xavier, Cyclops, Wolverine & Magneto.  When are they going to realise that the OTHERS are the more interesting characters...?  :(

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @xerox-kitty said:
    " I think I'd rather see an X-Men Civil War instead of 4 issues that focus on the boring old leaders.  I'm so tired of stories revolving around Xavier, Cyclops, Wolverine & Magneto.  When are they going to realise that the OTHERS are the more interesting characters...?  :( "

Oh, well there is another thread i posted around, which hints at an X-Men Civil War a bit later. Like a proper status quo shake up, not just four issues. Unfortunately its more Cyclops and Wolverine. Still. Talk of teams was mentioned. so hopefully... 
    SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SC  Moderator
    @papad1992 said:
    " @SC: First... a lot of food was mentioned in that last post!! :)  Second.... If Cyclops was on the rational side of mutantkind and Wolverine on the irrational side with all mutants choosing sides then that could be a little interesting!!!!! "

I find that food often serves as the best analogy in matters of X-Men, just like animals and their mating habits, make for the best analogy when discussing Avengers.  

I agree, could be... except its Wolverine, and he does cool stuff like have knives on his hand and stuff. I don't like current uncanny Cyclops, but o hope he doesn't regress into Mr Boring. In the shadow of Mr Cool and Smooth Wolverine. Dammit step it up Cannonball and Dani lol
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#13  Edited By AgeofHurricane

This is making me sick.....Wolverine, Cyclops and Magneto in the spotlight...................... for goodness sake's Marvel..SERIOUSLY!

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By John Valentine
    @AgeofHurricane said:
    " This is making me sick.....Wolverine, Cyclops and Magneto in the spotlight...................... for goodness sake's Marvel..SERIOUSLY! "
    I know! They should have totally used Storm!
    AgeofHurricane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#15  Edited By AgeofHurricane
    @John Valentine: Lol? in my original post i was actually going to say that Storm should have been used but i was worried i might have been tagged as a YKW, and was that sarcasm just now?
    papad1992

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By papad1992

Instead of Xavier, Wolverine, Magneto, and Cyclops.... they should be replaced with Cannonball, Moonstar, Storm, and Rogue!!!! I know Storm has... other duties... but regardless!! Forget about Xavier he's been prominent leader of the x-Men since the beginning!! Forget about Wolverine.... he's everywhere so how can he lead a race!?!?! Forget Magneto, I just really don't like this new choice of heart.... it's freakin wierd!!! And definetly forget Cyclops, he's just (pardon the language) an asshole and stuck up!!!! 

We need to see a new change... the heroic Age is here and now and all of Marvel is being effected... So why don't the X-Men join the flow and change their leadership!!!! Plus less Emma Frost and Namor and more Kitty Pryde and Colossus!!!!!

doddy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By doddy

Our kids were built by Emma and Cyclops, not Xavier. I think they’d have a tough time listening to words of peace and control when they’ve had to fight so hard just to survive. I hope they don’t listen to him [Professor X]; I think they’re better off without him.
    ---- Craig Kyle

Avatar image for buttersdaman000
    buttersdaman000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By buttersdaman000

I really dont see why Magneto and Xavier are being mentioned. Hanst their time passed? Id rather see them backing up thier respective sides as lieutenants or advisers.......And I REALLY dont see why Wolverine is being mentioned. He doesnt seem like the type to be able to lead an entire people. I mean where does he even find the time???

@papad1992:
    I canonly agree with the stuff you said about Wolverine, Xavier, and Magneto. Cyclops, however, has more of a right to lead one side than anybody else you mentioned...howver it would be interesting for rogue or storm to take on xaviers role

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

Xavier held the line for more than 30 years, and allows writers to insert a sense of variety and sophistication sorely lacking from almost every other Marvel/DC comic, where the protagonist is usually a male wish fulfillment fantasy. He has seen war, and lived a long life, longer if we take into account the things one can do with telepathy, he isn't some hippy dippy, peace pipe toking jobber. Once we see Supermandress in leather bondage and profess a love for a teenage Jean Grey, then Xavier can retire. X-Men as a whole fail when people can't recognize the important Xavier and Magneto dynamic which grounds the entire franchise, and so far any attempts to recreate that same poignant effect with any other character has failed completely and miserably.  

Best chances right now are with a non fraction written Emma Frost, and Storm with a competent Storm writer.

ReVamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 13

#20  Edited By ReVamp

Hmmmm... If this happens, then this means that Marvel might stubbornly attempt to get closer to the status quo; bringing everybody under proffesor X and jean grey back to life. 
    If they divide, I am seeing storytelling possiblities for him to go all whiny, complaining about life, eventually leading him to quit the team. Prof X takes the lead of this team.Wolverine after seeing that he isn't a completely adequate leader rejoins Prof X's team, and Jean comes back to life by some unholy, 1 in a milionth chance miracle (... you know, like always). She then proceeds to rejoin her former lover, give him a pep talk, have sex with him in the carribeans for a few weeks and convince him to rejoin the cause.  
    Optionally, Marvel could use the pheonix's come back to bring back Scarlet Witch (if she isn't brought back by the end of children's crusade); and maybe use hope and the pheonix to give mutants their powers back.  

Onto more realistic matters, I hope this doesn't happen... I just hope Marvel does something cool with the X-Men... (yeah right, tough chance...) 
    Oh well... I've still got uncanny X-Force :P

THUNDERBOLT30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By THUNDERBOLT30

@SC said:

"Xavier held the line for more than 30 years, and allows writers to insert a sense of variety and sophistication sorely lacking from almost every other Marvel/DC comic, where the protagonist is usually a male wish fulfillment fantasy. He has seen war, and lived a long life, longer if we take into account the things one can do with telepathy, he isn't some hippy dippy, peace pipe toking jobber. Once we see Supermandress in leather bondage and profess a love for a teenage Jean Grey, then Xavier can retire. X-Men as a whole fail when people can't recognize the important Xavier and Magneto dynamic which grounds the entire franchise, and so far any attempts to recreate that same poignant effect with any other character has failed completely and miserably.   Best chances right now are with a non fraction written Emma Frost, and Storm with a competent Storm writer. "

I agree with this. I think this story arc could be interesting.  

I also like the idea of an X-Men Civil War but I think the timing would be bad for an epic leadership struggle since the mutant species just escaped being totally eliminated.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.