What do I need to read for Schism?

#1 Posted by theselfproclaimednerd (56 posts) - - Show Bio

I want to get in to X-men. What do I need to read for Schism?

#2 Posted by Underwaterlad (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@theselfproclaimednerd: Surprisingly little. If you have a basic knowledge of the team then you shouldn't have too much trouble getting into it; it's a great starting point for new readers. The only things I would suggest reading up on are Oya, Kid Omega and the Hellfire Club. These three probably won't be all that familiar to you, and they all play large(ish) roles in Schism.

If you want to keep reading afterwards, give House of M and Second Coming a read, and check out the post-Schism teams. If you have any characters that you're particularly interested in, let me know and I can tell you what story arcs would be best to read up on.

#3 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

Prelude To Schism (although you need only read the last issue as they all retell the same events over & over from different characters' perspectives). 

Schism

Generation Hope #10. 

That's the official checklist.
#4 Posted by theselfproclaimednerd (56 posts) - - Show Bio

@Underwaterlad: I heard that I needed Messiah complex, Messiah war, and Second Coming for current X-men continuity. That true? Or are they not relevant to Schism?

#5 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio

@theselfproclaimednerd said:

Or are they not relevant to Schism?

So far, nothing is relevant to Schism. We don't even know what the giant cataclysmic power is that's headed for Utopia that all the X-Men are worried about in Prelude to Schism.

All the other stories are about the state of mutantkind & Hope as the possible mutant Messiah. It's not essential to know that prior to Schism. It gives you good background to X-Men relationships, teams, etc... but Schism is entirely separate.

#6 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox_kitty said:

@theselfproclaimednerd said:

Or are they not relevant to Schism?

So far, nothing is relevant to Schism.

Cosigned. Any details one might want to know are minor, say if your making the transition from the films and animated series to the comics (like what Utopia is and why the X-Men are particular to San Fransisco, rather than based at a school in Westchester, ect) can easily just be read in short summary online, like on this site. 

The concept of Schism thus far seems to be the basic mutant hate+Sentinal cannon fodder against mutantkind story, with mutantkind fighting amongst itself
on an ideological basis, not unlike Marvels Civil War. 

On a side note, I really even wouldn't say I feel if one is looking to get into reading X-Men currently that Schism is actually needed. Most of the main titles 
aren't even involved in the event, and if you get the basics of the X-Men franchise and know which characters appeal to you jumping in really shouldn't be 
a task, and actually Regenesis is meant to be the jumping on point for new readers as it is.
#7 Posted by Underwaterlad (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@xerox_kitty said:

We don't even know what the giant cataclysmic power is that's headed for Utopia that all the X-Men are worried about in Prelude to Schism.

I've been getting really confused about this. It was my understanding that Prelude was set immediately before Schism, and is there to represent what Cyclops goes through every single time something big is threatening his people. The focus isn't actually on what is coming, because that also is representative of pretty much every big threat that's come before. In the first issue of Schism, we see Wolverine covered in arrows, etc, and references are made to what had happened the night before. So hasn't Prelude already happened?

#8 Posted by Steps (657 posts) - - Show Bio

@Underwaterlad said:

@xerox_kitty said:

We don't even know what the giant cataclysmic power is that's headed for Utopia that all the X-Men are worried about in Prelude to Schism.

I've been getting really confused about this. It was my understanding that Prelude was set immediately before Schism, and is there to represent what Cyclops goes through every single time something big is threatening his people. The focus isn't actually on what is coming, because that also is representative of pretty much every big threat that's come before. In the first issue of Schism, we see Wolverine covered in arrows, etc, and references are made to what had happened the night before. So hasn't Prelude already happened?

I assume Prelude to before the Cyke Wolve split but after what we already have seen but that's just my guess.

#9 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Underwaterlad said:

@xerox_kitty said:

This is the over-all confusion caused by Marvel's need to push out mindless mini titles. 

The name "Prelude To Schism" suggests that the mini series is set before Schism.  However, the events don't concur with the lead in to issue #1 of Schism.  Therefore the "Prelude" seems to be more imminent... to the actual fracture of the teams.  It seems that (story-wise) there hasn't been any lead in to Schism, and that the events of "Prelude" will be seen (yet again) or aluded to towards the end of Schism.   

But the whole of "Preulde" was set around the X-Men wondering whether to evactuate Utopia or stay & fight a mighty un-named force that would certainly wipe out the population of the floating rock.  So far, nothign like that has been even remotely hinted at in Schism.  Making Prelude 4 issues of repeatitve nonsense.   

It's all still a mystery.  And with only a couple issues of Schism left to go, they'd better have a bloody amazing surprise left for issues 4 & 5, or the whole thing will be 9 issues of complete & utter crap.  There's no suspension, nothing dramatic.  Allt he threats in Prelude & Schism are either not disclosed or not as scary as Marvel would have us believe.
#10 Posted by Mercy_ (92995 posts) - - Show Bio

@Underwaterlad said:

@xerox_kitty said:

I like you. You're logical and articulate.

#11 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

It's essential that you read the label to the bottle of Potassium Cyanide that you're holding, and take enough to make sure that you're going to die. 

That's what you have to read before Schism. 

#12 Posted by Underwaterlad (52 posts) - - Show Bio

@The Dark Huntress said:

I like you. You're logical and articulate.

I'm logticulate.

@xerox_kitty said:

@Underwaterlad said:

@xerox_kitty said:

This is the over-all confusion caused by Marvel's need to push out mindless mini titles. The name "Prelude To Schism" suggests that the mini series is set before Schism. However, the events don't concur with the lead in to issue #1 of Schism. Therefore the "Prelude" seems to be more imminent... to the actual fracture of the teams. It seems that (story-wise) there hasn't been any lead in to Schism, and that the events of "Prelude" will be seen (yet again) or aluded to towards the end of Schism. But the whole of "Preulde" was set around the X-Men wondering whether to evactuate Utopia or stay & fight a mighty un-named force that would certainly wipe out the population of the floating rock. So far, nothign like that has been even remotely hinted at in Schism. Making Prelude 4 issues of repeatitve nonsense. It's all still a mystery. And with only a couple issues of Schism left to go, they'd better have a bloody amazing surprise left for issues 4 & 5, or the whole thing will be 9 issues of complete & utter crap. There's no suspension, nothing dramatic. Allt he threats in Prelude & Schism are either not disclosed or not as scary as Marvel would have us believe.

Interesting. I disagree when you say that the events don't concur with Schism #1. On the first page, Iceman and Wolverine have a short discussion regarding the previous night, with Wolverine saying it "was the usual," leading me to the belief that the event was nothing special, but simply representative of the forces that the X-Men constantly face. However, after the first page, it's never referred to again. So perhaps this page is just used to demonstrate how Cyclops uses Wolverine, framing the characters for the big split.

But as you said, it's all still a mystery. And even though I believe that Prelude came before Schism #1, I hope you're right in that it takes place some time between or during #4 and #5. I certainly hope I didn't waste $20 dollars on what I agree to be "repetitive nonsense."

#13 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@Underwaterlad said:

Interesting. I disagree when you say that the events don't concur with Schism #1. On the first page, Iceman and Wolverine have a short discussion regarding the previous night, with Wolverine saying it "was the usual," leading me to the belief that the event was nothing special, but simply representative of the forces that the X-Men constantly face. However, after the first page, it's never referred to again. So perhaps this page is just used to demonstrate how Cyclops uses Wolverine, framing the characters for the big split.

Sorry, but I disagree with that theory...  Prelude's main plot point was whether to evacuate Utopia or to stay & fight.  The events at the start of Schism #1 indicated no such panic among Cyclops & Wolverine as they casually strolled in to the UN.  If they were seriously concerned for the safety of mutantkind & the population of Utopia then they wouldn't dismiss it as 'nothing' between just two characters.   And facing the UN certainly wouldn't qualify the kind of impending looming threat that would have hardened & experienced X-Men quacking in their Unstable Molecule boots.  They were genuinely frightened for their lives in Prelude.  Schism #1 starts extremely peacefully & went downhill from there.

That tiny scrap of dialogue seemed to be more of an attempt to give Wolverine more character... that he had yet another disagreement which most likely led into a fight with someone else... Something that will most likely arise in the new Wolverine & The X-Men as Iceman seems to be on Wolverine's team.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.