Power Retcon?

#1 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

For the LONGEST time, Wanda's powers were described as PROBABILITY, and MAGIC being blended into crazy fluctuating energies................But now we have THIS

"I am not MERELY an ELEMENTAL MUTANT AS I WAS BORN"????????

What is THIS I'm hearing?

Rogue couldn't use Wanda's powers? Wanda's powers, which literally used to work by her POINTING AT SH*T, can't be used by Rogue, because it takes "A WITCH TO CONTROL MAGIC"?

What kind of ish is THIS?!

She WAS NOT born an ELEMENTAL MUTANT!

#2 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6126 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:In Avengers #187, which is set on Mount Wundagore, Wanda is possessed by some kind of demon, and whilst in her body, says among other things, "...For a child was born that night in Wundagore, a girl named Wanda whose latent science spawned power was awesome. As I returned to the mountain, I imbued her with latent magical potential as well!"

Does this help?

#3 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@White Mage:In Avengers #187, which is set on Mount Wundagore, Wanda is possessed by some kind of demon, and whilst in her body, says among other things, "...For a child was born that night in Wundagore, a girl named Wanda whose latent science spawned power was awesome. As I returned to the mountain, I imbued her with latent magical potential as well!"

Does this help?

Unfortunately no, it doesn't.

She said that her mutant power was elemental............which really bothers me, because it goes back to her powers not making not a damn lick o sense

I know she's always had magic......but she was never this "elemental" that was just sprung on me...and others....I'm not pleased with what I witnessed in this scene.lol

#4 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6126 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:It seems her 'elemental' powers may have always been there, from what I've looked up.

Turns out the demon was Chthon. "As his presence on Earth faded, Chthon "blessed" one of Magda's twins, Wanda a portion of his demonic essence. Wanda Maximoff grew up and eventually became the Scarlet Witch, a mutant who possess the power over probability and Chaos Magic as well as the power to alter and re-create all of reality itself."

"Modred awoke in the 20th century and has since had many adventures both in the service of Chthon and fighting against him. Modred has gained immense mystical powers through the training given by Chthon in his 14 centuries of "living death". He can control the classic elements:earth, fire, water and wind. He is a telepath, teleporter and illusion caster. He can fly and fire bolts of mystical energy.He can use any of the spells written in the Darkhold and has on rare occassion called on mystic entities other than Chthon. However his connection to the Elder God is his main weakness. While retaining his free will Modred has served as both a hero and a villain to the wider Marvel Universe. But from time to time Chthon places Modred under his direct control and uses him as a weapon against his own opponents."

Modred and Scarlet Witch have some powers in common, so it looks Chthon is to blame for all of this.

Does this help?

You probably know a lot more about comics than I do, and I might just be clutching at straws, but I'm just trying to make sense of the matter. I like to be helpful when possible.

#5 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose: You're definitely helping. Conversation always helps, so thank you :)

The thing is, I understand that Wanda can influence natural elements via magic. But the scan says that she was actually an elemental MUTANT, UNTIL Chthon's blessing for mystic potential. For her to say this means that, without Chthon, she wouldn't be the probability mutant that she was established as, but instead, an "elemental" mutant like Storm, Iceman, Magneto, etc.

#6 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6126 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:I thought it meant her probability powers were her mutant power, and that her elemental powers came from Chthon.

I see what you mean though, there does seem to be conflicting accounts. She's claiming her element powers are a mutant thing, when they were actually given to her by Chthon.

The only thing I can think of is that either she's mistaken and thinks she was born with Chthons' power, or the writer thinks she was born with it.

Maybe it is as you said, a power retcon. It might be considered a minor enough detail to just disregard, and just have her elemental powers come naturally.

#7 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@V_Scarlotte_Rose said:

@White Mage:I thought it meant her probability powers were her mutant power, and that her elemental powers came from Chthon.

I see what you mean though, there does seem to be conflicting accounts. She's claiming her element powers are a mutant thing, when they were actually given to her by Chthon.

The only thing I can think of is that either she's mistaken and thinks she was born with Chthons' power, or the writer thinks she was born with it.

Maybe it is as you said, a power retcon. It might be considered a minor enough detail to just disregard, and just have her elemental powers come naturally.

Now you're definitely seeing my confusion.........BTW, I appreciate your help. It assists my sanity.lol

#8 Posted by muhabba (293 posts) - - Show Bio

When Scarlet Witch was first introduced all she had were her hex bolts, making something weird happen at whoever she pointed them at. Through the years her character's power allowed her to more easily tap into magic that a normal magick user. Then they kept adding mystical back story onto mystical back story and it's escalated from there.

#9 Posted by V_Scarlotte_Rose (6126 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage:Maybe we'd have to hear the writer explain it. Comic book continuity seems to be a tricky thing to get perfect sometimes.

And no problem, it's interesting trying to solve mysteries about comic books, kinda adds an extra dimension to the comic reading/collecting experience.

Though this is only my second comic mystery. The first one was working out how old Batwoman is.

#10 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@muhabba said:

When Scarlet Witch was first introduced all she had were her hex bolts, making something weird happen at whoever she pointed them at. Through the years her character's power allowed her to more easily tap into magic that a normal magick user. Then they kept adding mystical back story onto mystical back story and it's escalated from there.

Rogue should've been able to use her powers at random, because that's exactly what they are...........I'm just not feeling this scene.lol

#11 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4613 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: I say she doesn't mean Elemental like Nature, Rock, Weather, and etc. I feel like she's saying elemental like being the basic or essential constituent of something.

(+)

#12 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump

#13 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio

Trying to make sense of Wanda's powers is a fruitless effort. Her powers are simply "whatever the plot requires". Just accept that and your brain will thank you.

#14 Posted by White Mage (18740 posts) - - Show Bio

@FadeToBlackBolt said:

Trying to make sense of Wanda's powers is a fruitless effort. Her powers are simply "whatever the plot requires". Just accept that and your brain will thank you.

BUT I HAD IT!!! Probability (mutant) and magic (wundagore)!!!!...........this stupid "elemental"........stupid...............you're right :(

#15 Posted by Med (291 posts) - - Show Bio

@Yung ANcient One: i thought the same thing. like she was essentially a mutant with probability altering and other 'elements' of her powers were added later in life.

#16 Posted by Madame_Blossom (692 posts) - - Show Bio

Could of sworn Agatha cleared this mess before.

#17 Posted by Urban_Ronin (9935 posts) - - Show Bio

@White Mage: You're confusing her statement. When she says, "I am no longer an Elemental mutant" she isnt referring to an ability to control the elements. She is saying elemental as in basic, fundamental. A basic mutant.

#18 Posted by muhabba (293 posts) - - Show Bio

@Quintus_Knightfall said:

@White Mage: You're confusing her statement. When she says, "I am no longer an Elemental mutant" she isnt referring to an ability to control the elements. She is saying elemental as in basic, fundamental. A basic mutant.

That's how I took it. I can see the confusion now.

#19 Posted by XsPectre28 (714 posts) - - Show Bio

her original power was to effect probability around nonliving matter. (elements)

#20 Posted by boob (366 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't worry her powers will be reconed, in one of the recons it will make sence...though we may be dead when that happens.

#21 Posted by Veitha (2898 posts) - - Show Bio

Uncanny Avengers is s*it

#22 Edited by micahparadise (480 posts) - - Show Bio

lol @fadetoblackbolt and @boob comments!!! loooooooooll I do agree...there really isnt a definition for wanda's ability. Her power kepts getting retconned by each writer that gets their hands on her. As far as i can remember, in the avengers dissamble storyline, Dr. Strange (Marvel's main authority on everything magic) said that there was no such thing as chaos magic!Then it was said that people dont think chaos magic exist but it does.. (Here's a link :http://goodcomics.comicbookresources.com/2011/12/24/the-abandoned-an-forsaked-scarlet-witch-uses-chaos-magic/) T I usually like risk remender's take on characters but im not liking this. I think it was simplier and more feasible when Wanda was classified in House of M as a mutant reality warper.

The Ultimate version of Scarlet Witch seems tobe classified as a reality warper (probabilty abilites) as well.

#23 Posted by AmazingWebHead (1638 posts) - - Show Bio

This is Wanda we're talking about. Her powers are getting retconned again every ten minutes.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.