k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

The Good

It's the start of a brand new story for the James Howlett, and Jock is kicking it off with a solid amount of mystery and some truly standout artwork. The last story in SAVAGE WOLVERINE was filled with cameos and all kinds of vicious fun, but now Jock is isolating the A-lister and literally throwing him onto a brand new world where we have no idea what to expect.

The first half or so is dedicated to introducing us to this new environment, and while we've barely scratched the surface, it's an engrossing experience thanks to Jock's elaborate and unique style. It's incredibly rough -- just like the X-Man himself -- and oozing intensity. His style is great when it comes to capturing the different tones and expressions Logan conveys. From disgruntled to disgusted to totally lashing out, Jock's illustrations are able to capture the moments incredibly well. My favorite panel is easily a moment where he thrusts both claws into a creature -- there's just a terrific sense of raw energy and speed behind that attack. Lee Loughridge's coloring compliments his work very well, too. It never overpowers Jock's signature style, nor does it ever make matters feel too vibrant or bright. It sets just the vibe to help present a seemingly desolate alien world.

Also, how can anyone not love having Wolverine survive reentry right in the intro? It's always awesome seeing James endure a badass feat or two. This story is clearly taking the necessary steps towards building a strong narrative, but hopefully there will be even more over the top bits of action along the way, too. It's obviously a big world, so this is a good opportunity for Jock to show off plenty of additional creativity with more hostile alien life along the way.

The Bad

Truthfully, I can't think of anything particularly "bad" about the issue, but I can't say I loved it, either. That's not an insult -- not by any means -- since as you can see, I really enjoyed it (thus the 4-star rating). It's a solid first issue, but nothing here really made my jaw smack the floor or left me immediately craving the second issue.

The Verdict

Jock's time on SAVAGE WOLVERINE is absolutely off to a good start. This issue does an able job teasing us with the greater narrative and hits us with a cool sci-fi atmosphere. It's certainly a change from what the book has previously offered yet still gives us a bit of what we want from the book: Wolverine doing what he does best. And -- it shouldn't even need to be said -- of course Jock (and Loughridge on colors) does excellent work with the pages.

Intrigue, slashing and immersive art. Yeah, I definitely recommend picking this up.

Avatar image for manwithoutshame
    manwithoutshame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

3/5 for me. I liked it well enough, but it seemed to be a pretty brief read.

Avatar image for thecheesestabber
    TheCheeseStabber

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 2

Love The Cover, might just pick it up for that

The_Titan_Lord

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

I'll try to read this later

Avatar image for yourneighborhoodcomicgeek
    YourNeighborhoodComicGeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 15

I have to say out compared to the other art that has been shown on Savage Wolverine, Loughridge is the weakest in my opinion. Other than that it was a solid issue. The aliens were a bit too reminiscent of Dimension Z, but I can put up with that.

Billy Batson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

I have to say out compared to the other art that has been shown on Savage Wolverine, Loughridge is the weakest in my opinion. Other than that it was a solid issue. The aliens were a bit too reminiscent of Dimension Z, but I can put up with that.

Jock was the artist, Loughridge was just the colorist.

BB

Avatar image for johnkmccubbin91
    johnkmccubbin91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 672

User Lists: 103

I have to say I was rather disappointed with this as although I enjoyed Jock's art and love the mysteriousness I felt it wasn't worth the money, and with this being only a two part story that bugs me even more, as I'm paying double money for something that could have been put into one issue.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.