Is Santa Claus A Superhero?

• 70 results
Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 The original poster for this had the tagline "The Greatest Superhero of All Time!" And poster taglines don't lie!

Maybe it’s because I grew up on SANTA CLAUS: THE MOVIE (that 80s flick with Dudley Moore and John Lithgow that was made by the same producers who did SUPERMAN and was, in so many respects, a remake that swapped Clark Kent for Kris Kringle) but I’ve always been pretty amused by the notion of Santa Claus as a superhero -- because it's actually pretty true!  I just recently re-watched the infamous Mexican SANTA CLAUS movie for Screened and I have to say that the jolly man’s workshop there, with its menagerie of outlandish inventions, bears more than a passing resemblance to the pre-CRISIS Fortress of Solitude we've been getting to revisit in ALL-STAR SUPERMAN.

Thus, you can imagine how much giddy amusement I get out of that trailer for SANTA ORIGINS. It harps on all the superheroic criteria that jolly old Saint Nick fulfills. 

Let's go done the list... == TEASER == 

He is probably due for an Ultimate revamp, though.

A Colorful Costume?  

The cherry red coat with the snow white fur trim, the cap and that big giant belt. Oh yeah. 

A Memorable Supporting Cast? 

What do you call Rudolph, the eight flying reindeer, Mrs. Claus, the Elves and Santa’s hatchet man, Black Peter? 

A Weakness? 

Superman has Kryptonite, Green Lantern had the color yellow… Santa's helpless against milk and cookies. 

A Theme Song? 

Tune into any radio station currently playing round-the-clock holiday favorites and you’ll have a whole host of Santa-themed ditties to choose from. Ho ho ho... who wouldn't know? 

Powers? 

He sees when you’re sleeping (Superman-like X-ray vision,) he knows when you’re awake (Prof. X-style telepathy,) he knows if you’ve been bad or good (seeing into the hearts of men like the Shadow,) he can travel the whole world in one night (as fast, if not faster, than the Flash) and he can squeeze down any chimney (likely through Ant-Man style size-changing.)  

Villains? 

He's faced down a whole slew of foes including Jack Frost, the Heat Miser, Martians, the Witch of Narnia (remember when he showed up in THE LION, THE WITCH & THE WARDROBE?) the Ultimate Warrior (a battle he lost in a truly humiliating way,) demons from the underworld (in that aforementioned Mexican movie) and even the main main, himself, Lobo!  Not even Batman's rogue's gallery is that diverse!
If Santa doesn’t fit the superhero bill already, I don’t know what else he’d have to do to qualify.      

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of  HYBRID BASTARDS!  &  UNIMAGINABLE . Order them on Amazon   here  &   here .  Follow him on Twitter:  @tompinchuk

#1 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget his superhero team-up with Jesus Christ! 

#2 Posted by Aeroman (498 posts) - - Show Bio

I remember they had santa as a hero on oh yeah cartoons

#3 Posted by Renchamp (2336 posts) - - Show Bio

And Santa's weakness is one of those tragic ones.  He has to eat those cookies or else kids won't believe.  If kids don't believe then he can't fly.  He must consume.  He must make that sacrifice.

#4 Posted by marvelunivers_deleteme (315 posts) - - Show Bio

Deadpool killed him one time

#5 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

#6 Posted by jamdown (294 posts) - - Show Bio

1.he can fly (sort of) 
2.he has the ability to bring joy around the world 
3.people say his name in a excited tone when they (think) see him 
4.he has a secret lair (in the middle of nowhere)
That proves it, he is now called... SUPER SANTA!!!!!

#7 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2239 posts) - - Show Bio

Merry Christmas!

and a Happy New Year!
#8 Posted by difficlus (10679 posts) - - Show Bio

lol all i can say is merry christmas to you

#9 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham: Ah I love the Superman one :D
#10 Posted by Neverpraying (1465 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess he is a hero.

#11 Posted by Yumulu (762 posts) - - Show Bio

Go Super Santa!
#12 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2239 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambit1024: which one?
#13 Posted by Gambit1024 (9890 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham: The second to last one
#14 Posted by XMASCATEXE (135 posts) - - Show Bio

My sources say yes, Santa does indeed fight the good fight against the forces of evil.
#15 Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
@ArtisticNeedham: Ha! Dude... my good friend, Jon Buran, drew that samurai Santa picture.
#16 Posted by batman_is_god (1185 posts) - - Show Bio
@jamdown said:
"1.he can fly (sort of) 2.he has the ability to bring joy around the world 3.people say his name in a excited tone when they (think) see him 4.he has a secret lair (in the middle of nowhere)That proves it, he is now called... SUPER SANTA!!!!! "

He does have a secret lair!
#17 Posted by ArtisticNeedham (2239 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk: It is awesome.  I founds a TON of Santa related comic pictures online for a Santa Screen Saver for Christmas.
#18 Posted by NightFang (9967 posts) - - Show Bio

He could be.

#19 Posted by EGoD (1513 posts) - - Show Bio

and he even has a catch phrase, ho ho ho merry christmas.
#20 Posted by Blackestnight (640 posts) - - Show Bio

He is immortal, He has magic, can teleport, has flying animals, some what psychic powers on a person's morality, has an invisible lair, can freeze time, works with elves, and is old and fat but everybody loves him.  I'd say super hero. Look at all the love and happiness he brings. 

OR

He's wanted on counts of over 100 billion breaking and entering, voyeurism on children, and stealing food, and bribery, super anti- villan

#21 Posted by Feral Nova (46585 posts) - - Show Bio

Pphh what you talking about? Everyone knows that Santa is a NINJA! and his suit isnt always red. It starts off as black when he first leaves the North Pole, and the red is the blood of the kids who wake up in the middle of the night and see santa.

#22 Posted by Myninjadon (41 posts) - - Show Bio

I would love to see Lobo fighting Santa.  Where and when did that happen?

#23 Posted by theiconic (924 posts) - - Show Bio

i wanna see  santa  battle zombies

#24 Posted by oldgum (326 posts) - - Show Bio
@Yumulu said:
"
Go Super Santa! "
Yehhh, Santa has always being a powerhouse in South Park.
#25 Posted by Dracade102 (8167 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" Don't forget his superhero team-up with Jesus Christ! 

"

#26 Posted by The Poet (8335 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally he is. Merry Christmas to all!

#27 Edited by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
#28 Posted by spider-man 2996 (660 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes he is a super hero
#29 Posted by Joe Venom (1275 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget his weakness for doing Coke a Cola commercial and ads, and lets not forget his Lunatic Laugh like Phil Urich his HO HO HO can bring kids to their knees with joy!  =)

~Merry Christmas everyone

#30 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't forget that Darkseid was one of his foes as well!  It still makes me laugh that for year upon year, despite ever evolving Apokoliptian defense technology, that Santa STILL managed to drop on that hellhole and deliver that bad boy Uxas a lump of coal annually.  And every year he managed to still escape Darkseid's wrath.  If that's not the measure of a superhero, then I don't know what is!
#31 Posted by Nova`Prime` (4165 posts) - - Show Bio
@Renchamp said:
" And Santa's weakness is one of those tragic ones.  He has to eat those cookies or else kids won't believe.  If kids don't believe then he can't fly.  He must consume.  He must make that sacrifice. "
So what you're saying is Santa and Galactus have a lot in common?
#32 Posted by comicfetish (405 posts) - - Show Bio

superheroes save lives of a regular basis. santa doesn't
#33 Posted by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Is it a bird?
Is it a plane?
No, it's Santa with his sleigh.

#34 Posted by gregalodon (8 posts) - - Show Bio

Santa's not a superhero... He's a Timelord!

#35 Posted by Sobe Cin (599 posts) - - Show Bio
@gregalodon said:
"Santa's not a superhero... He's a Timelord! " 

#36 Posted by Ellocobruja (559 posts) - - Show Bio

Santa is a zeitgeist. 
a time ghost representong the Spirit off the Holidays. He's literally powered by the belief of kids 
#37 Posted by Maverick7 (64 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: dude.what is this from?
#38 Posted by primepower53 (5686 posts) - - Show Bio
@EGoD said:
"and he even has a catch phrase, ho ho ho merry christmas. "
#39 Posted by Theworldbreaker (1642 posts) - - Show Bio
@Blackestnight:  ROFLE!!!

He's wanted on counts of over 100 billion breaking and entering, voyeurism on children, and stealing food, and bribery, super anti- villan

#40 Posted by Top Flight Security (142 posts) - - Show Bio

Darn Villain! Eats all the sweets, drinks all the drink all while breaking into peoples homes! And he's probably invulnerable too!

#41 Posted by dewboy01 (1876 posts) - - Show Bio

santa is an omnipotent man for the good.
#42 Edited by Fantasgasmic (1071 posts) - - Show Bio

Santa, not a superhero. BAT-SANTA = superhero . You're welcome, your lives are now worth living.

#43 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Maverick7 said:
" @aztek the lost: dude.what is this from? "
Battle Pope
#44 Posted by greenenvy (634 posts) - - Show Bio

The Santa Claus movie was a  good one and nice origin telling of Santa. He is a Saint not a superhero so now  then the question is  are Saints superheroes or can be and the answer is maybe or depends. I would classify Santa as a fantasy epic hero perhaps and I personally like to think about Krumpas  as his arch enemy and companion as well. 

#45 Posted by EgzeusBelial_ (6 posts) - - Show Bio

Haha never thought of it that way.

#46 Posted by ChildOfPrimus (5 posts) - - Show Bio

yes yes santas a super hero =)

#47 Posted by Eyz (3095 posts) - - Show Bio

As a big fan of Paul Dini's JINGLE BELLE

I'd say "Yes". And a multimedia Superhero as that, as mainstream, well known and established as Superman! :P
#48 Posted by BagginsRA (6 posts) - - Show Bio
@Tom Pinchuk:

Great story! I hope you've read "No Bart, there is no Santa", in the DCU Holiday BASH! III (1999)! It has all this, inside DCU, with bart looking for Santa, and basically driving Max Mercury insane! Thak you Mark Waid! 
#49 Posted by Agent9149 (2894 posts) - - Show Bio
@Aeroman said:
" I remember they had santa as a hero on oh yeah cartoons "
OFT
#50 Posted by Renchamp (2336 posts) - - Show Bio
@Nova`Prime`:  Most definitely.  I've always held that Galactus is the Santa of the Marvel Universe.  And Rudolph possesses the power cosmic?  I guess that would make sense.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.