Follow

San Diego Comic-Con

Location » San Diego Comic-Con appears in 49 issues.

San Diego Comic Con is the biggest gathering of Comic goodness that happens each year.

Survival Guide to SD Comic-Con 2010

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

Edited By sora_thekey

It's that time of year again, when people get in lines to see writers and artist. That time when people dress up even though it's not Holloween. That time when Twilight lovers and Twilight haters co-exist in one huge room for more than 300 different options of activities. That time for San Diego Comic Con!

So after that really cheesy intro, now I can get into the point this blog entry. I am very excited since once again I am going to Comic-Con, and hopefully get the chance to meet some of CV users too... 
    This is my 4th year and I have learned a few things during these past 3 years that should be remembered when going to Cons. Again I am very new to this so some of you might have others suggestions I know not of. So I have decided to write this blog and with the help of all of you create a Survival Guide to SDCC '10

I'll start and if there's anything that needs to be added, please add it to the comments so I can add it to the guide.  

No Caption Provided
    BE SURE TO TAKE
    • Backpack I always say this and emphasize this. Take a backpack. Comic-Con is very well known for free stuff, so you need a place where to put all those free stuff. Another thing is that you will be tempted to buy things, and just like the free stuff you need a place where to put all those things you buy.
    • Water Another thing I emphasize even more than a backpack is to take water. It get's crowded, it's hot and you walk a lot. So keeping yourself hydrated is very important during the whole day. As long as you bring one water bottle is fine since you can later re-fill it in one of the water fountains inside.
    • Comics There are chances where you could get a creator's autograph, so if you do your research you can figure out who is going to be where. This is the moment where you would take your comics to be signed by the creators, otherwise you will end up making the mistake I made and getting autographs on a piece of paper.
    • Sketch Book Some people like to buy sketches from artists over at Artist Alley, so if you're one of those people then you can't forget the Sketch Book
    • Comfortable Shoes Like I said you will be walking a lot so girls don't take heels! (Unless it's part of your costume)
    • Toothpaste - Self explanatory  (According to FoxxFireArt)
    • Deodorant - Self explanatory  (According to FoxxFireArt) 
    • Protein Bars One room a lot of comics, but there's not a lot of Hot Dog stands! (According to FoxxFireArt)  
    • Bring hat and sunglasses for those who have problems with sunlight and easily sunburn, since you have to be in lines outside. (According to jameswelch) 

MUST DO
    • Arrive Early! This is very important, there are a lot of people and if you get there by 9 am you are too late because it will take you a lot of time to get inside. SO if you get there early there's a good chance you will get dibs on a lot of things. Remember it's crowded. 
    • Sideshow Collectibles Visit the Sideshow collectibles first, take pictures and window lick the exhibits before noon, by that time, you would find it hard to see anything within that area. (According to MTHarman)
    • WB Booth The first thing I usually do when I go down on the floor is going to the WB Booth since they give out HUGE tote bags, I call them "laundry bags" and everything fits there. (This year's Official Tote bags have been announced: Warner Bros Sponsors 11 Official Tote Bags for Comic-Con)
    • Buy Comics to get creators' autograph, sometimes you'll run into a situation where some artists have very long lines and some have none...and you never know when an artist or writer will take off and be the next big thing (According to danhimself)

MUST AVOID 
    • Food in the Convention Center The food, is terrible and half-way made, unless your on the verge of going into canniblism, I would avoid the cheap hotdogs that this place has to offer. (According to MTHarman) 
    • Convention Center Parking If you're driving to the convention, it might be cheaper to park off site (like at Old Town transit center) and take trolly to SDCC. (SDCC also stands for San Diego Convention Center). It's about a 20-25 minute trolly ride from Old Town to SDCC. You can also take the trolly from Mission Valley. (According to jameswelch)

Now if you have experience at Cons at all help me out to complete this Survival Guide!
    Also if you are going to SDCC this year let me know so we could have a CV reunion or something! ;)
    FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By FoxxFireArt

Must Take:

• Toothpaste

• Deodorant
    • Protein bars
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#2  Edited By danhimself

Comics There are chances where you could get a creator's autograph, so if you do your research you can figure out who is going to be where. This is the moment where you would take your comics to be signed by the creators, otherwise you will end up making the mistake I made and getting autographs on a piece of paper.

I would suggest taking at least one for a majority of the artists there....even if you have to buy an issue that they wrote or drew....sometimes you'll run into a situation where some artists have very long lines and some have none...and you never know when an artist or writer will take off and be the next big thing

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sora_thekey
    @FoxxFireArt:@danhimself:Very good points... I added them to the guide up there.. :)
    If you think of more please let me know!
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#4  Edited By jamesewelch

As a local San Diegan (and 2 time SDCC goer), if you have any questions let me know. Here's some tips:

If you're staying downtown, you can purchase a $5 Trolley ticket that is good for unlimited rides (same day) within the "downtown zone". See Trolley map for which stops are downtown. If someone says take the "Orange" trolley line, they don't mean the car colors - all of the trolley cars are red (except ones with big promotion stickers on it). There's signs saying which color trolley line above the tracks. Oh, and we call our above ground, commuter rail, light-weight train thing a "trolley". It's not like the San Francisco trolley cars, but we still call it that.  Those are the big red cars that run on tracks and use electrical wires on top, etc.

If you're arriving from airport, there's a free shuttle from airport to American Plaza (that's across street from Santa Fe Depot). There's a trolly stop there at the American Plaza and across street at Santa Fe Depot.   

If you want good food for dinner, don't eat out in Gas Lamp district (that's the place across from the SDCC). They have excellent bars and clubs for college age (and young at heart). There's one or two good places there, but the scene, traffic, and crowds won't make it enjoyable. If you can get away, check out Hillcrest, La Jolla, Little Italy, and Old Town. The trolly goes to Little Italy and Old Town (Little Italy is within downtown zone). If you want restaurant recommendations just let me know, me and my fiancee eat out a lot and have been to almost everywhere around here. Old Town has some good mexican restaurants and scene (there's a trolly stop there and a short walk to the main street where the places are at). Hillcrest is between downtown and Mission Valley (where most hotels off-site are at), but there's no trolley stop there. La Jolla is a bit farther of a drive and where the more expensive places are at. (P.S. it's pronounced "La Holya" (Spanish way)).

If you're driving to the convention, it might be cheaper to park off site (like at Old Town transit center) and take trolley to SDCC. (SDCC also stands for San Diego Convention Center). It's about a 20-25 minute trolly ride from Old Town to SDCC. You can also take the trolley from Mission Valley.

The food center at the SDCC doesn't take credit cards (at least didn't for me). The food is awful anyways, but if you have to eat there, then walk about 500 meters away and eat in Seaport Village. Just exit the back of the SDCC building and walk north along the shoreline. There's restaurants and fast food places (with pizza, Greek, burgers, tacos, etc.) and a Ben & Jerry's and Fudge Factory shops (along with touristy shops that sell stuff).   If you keep walking to the north past Seaport Village, you'll see the USS Midway (US Navy aircraft carrier, you can get tours on this during the day, check on their web site for times and prices).

If you walk to the west from SDCC (through Gas Lamp), you'll find the San Diego Padres baseball stadium, check their web site for schedules.

Bring hat and sunglasses for those who have problems with sunlight and easily sunburn. (like me)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

"like button"

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sora_thekey
    @jamesewelch:  I added some of your suggestions.. the Food and Transport are more of an out of the Con info... so I left it out of the "Guide" but thanks for all that info... I actually agree with your transportation suggestions, as a person who is frequently (almost every day) in San Diego I would suggest the same things...
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By jamesewelch
    @sora_thekey: Cool. I didn't know you were a local :) The hat and sunglasses/sunscreen is more of a general purpose thing for outside of SDCC. I usually forget to pack those things, even though I have always sunburned really easy. I created a new blog entry with some more detailed info about outside of the SDCC at Getting around at San Diego Comic-Con.
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By sora_thekey
    @jamesewelch: I'm not exactly a local... I live in TJ but as a US citizen I spend a lot of time in the SD area... so yeah your blog post is really helpful...
    are you going to SDCC this year?
    jamesewelch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By jamesewelch
    @sora_thekey:  Yeah, I'll be there one day by myself and a second day with my fiancee.
    THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#10  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

i always like readin survival guides for cons. we always have them up at panelsonpages.com. ive been goin to chicago cons since '05 and have definitely learned alot. and even though SDCC has been gettin more media attention, i still hope comics has tha central focus. once this years show is over, im gonna plan a trip there for next year. hope u all hav fun.

punkelias

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By punkelias

Great guide. I bookmarked it for future references.

kittenpride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#12  Edited By kittenpride

Wow. Thanks for all the info!
    ^_^

goldenshot80

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By goldenshot80

Have anyone brought a video game? because that what i think you should add to the list

Kid Anarchy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Kid Anarchy

awesome guide!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.