SDCC Preview - - Toys and Collectibles

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

You might have heard about that Mattel figure set recreating the Justice League’s first appearance on the cover of the BRAVE AND THE BOLD #28. It’s going to be one of many collectibles debuting at Comic Con next week (along with a convention-exclusive "polly-bagged set of 4 Starro Spores.") It’ll also be available at Matty Collector on August 2 so, following that, the site’s posted a uniquely-to-the-point, hands-on product demo which you can see below. Maybe the stand-out feature of this set is a button-activated audio track where Kevin Conroy (shame on you if you don’t know him as the definite cartoon Batman voice) recaps each member’s origin.

Comic Con’s released the staggering list of exclusives… so I’ll just focus on the ones that are of particular of interest (or the ones that particularly tickle my fancy.) 

== TEASER ==

Mattel’s adding Plastic Man to its DC Universe Classics collection and thesuitably-gonzo figure has bendy limbs, springy legs and fly swatter hands.  If you get it at SDCC, you’ll also get an exclusive attachment that allow you disguise Plas as a suitcase - - which is pretty thoughtful considering all the walking you'll have to do.

Anybody who’s seen the original GI: JOE movie will know why this Sgt. Slaughter figure’s going to be the most bad ass Joe of them all. "We all go home or nobody goes home!" This figure might be rare because I think Hasbro hasn’t produced any Slaughter figures since the wrestler's highly-controversial “heel turn” in the early 90s.

It makes me a feel little old for Diamond Select Toys to be referring to early 90s X-MEN as "classic." Regardless, their Mini-Mates set here has a semi-heroic Magneto, Jerry curl-era Bishop and, supposedly for the first time ever, Jubilee

Again, you can check out the list here, and, as promised, here's the video  demo for the Justice League set.   

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by ahumancartoon (368 posts) - - Show Bio

I sooooo want the Starro and Plastic Man figures.

#2 Posted by DiabolicVision (52 posts) - - Show Bio

looks pretty cool

#3 Posted by danhimself (22443 posts) - - Show Bio

seeing the new toys coming out is one of my favorite things about comic con

#4 Posted by Nick-SV(ril) (568 posts) - - Show Bio

holy..! that JLA/Starro looks awesome.

#5 Edited by ComicMan24 (147042 posts) - - Show Bio

Starro and the Plastic Man are very good.

#6 Posted by sora_thekey (8158 posts) - - Show Bio

That Justice League set looks so awesome!
Makes me wish I collected Action Figures

#7 Posted by Video_Martian (5645 posts) - - Show Bio

Lovin' the justice league/starro set!

#8 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Underwhelmed.

#9 Posted by Secret Identity (223 posts) - - Show Bio

I really wish LEGO had th rights to marvel instead of whoever it is that makes those horrible little mini-mates..... Then we could have awesome video games of Lego Spiderman, Iron Man etc as well as the awesome Lego batman title.

#10 Posted by NightFang (9962 posts) - - Show Bio
@DiabolicVision said:
" looks pretty cool "
#11 Posted by Comiclove5 (1258 posts) - - Show Bio

Gotta catch 'em all.

#12 Posted by Gylan Thomas (2727 posts) - - Show Bio
@Secret Identity said:
" I really wish LEGO had th rights to marvel instead of whoever it is that makes those horrible little mini-mates..... Then we could have awesome video games of Lego Spiderman, Iron Man etc as well as the awesome Lego batman title. "
It's a game rights issue.
There is Spidey lego but the Spidey game rights are with a different company.
#13 Posted by gambitpryde1993 (160 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gylan Thomas:  A lego marvel mmo would kick butt.  I would team up with Wolverine, Rogue, and Gambit and fight the Fantastic 4 in yankee stadium
#14 Posted by Boston Brand of Earth (14 posts) - - Show Bio

I want that Starro pack...

#15 Posted by NoComicsBeforeBed (62 posts) - - Show Bio

i want that Starro pack too!

#16 Posted by VagrantSaint (48 posts) - - Show Bio

The Starro pack is too cool!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.