Follow

San Diego Comic-Con

Location » San Diego Comic-Con appears in 49 issues.

San Diego Comic Con is the biggest gathering of Comic goodness that happens each year.

San Diego Comic Con May Be Staying Put

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

User Lists: 2

Edited By No_Name_

No Caption Provided
    Looks like the San Diego Convention Center is one step closer to expansion, according to a report from the San Diego Union-Tribune website-- an expansion which will cost the city approximately $753 million. If the city wants to keep "blockbuster events" from leaving San Diego, including but not limited to Comic Con International, then the move to expand is crucial. According to the article, the Port of San Diego has agreed to work with the convention center "for the expansion and a long-desired hotel after negotiating a deal with a private business group that controls the 7-acre bayfront plot in downtown San Diego where the two projects would be built." What this means is that the two groups will meet to discuss the environmental repercussions of expansion, weigh the public opinion regarding expansion, evaluate the building design and most importantly, figure out how to pay for it all.

If you have been following the 'what to do with San Diego Comic Con' conversation, then I am sure you have heard whispers of the possibility of moving Comic Con International to a larger venue. Back in February Comic Vine caught up with Comic Con International's Director of Marketing and Public Relations, David Glanzer regarding the logistics of expansion and the probability of moving the convention to a different city. When we spoke, Glanzer had been fairly positive about keeping the show in San Diego.
    == TEASER ==
    No Caption Provided

I don't think anyone wants to move, but there are many people that want to come to the show that can't...The city has been working with local hotels for more space [rooms as well as conference areas to accommodate the rapid increase in the number of attendees].  San Diego is a great location...the gas lamp, meeting space, nearby hotels...we have to weigh our proposals.

There is no question that the people who run Comic Con International want to keep the show in San Diego, yet the prospect of doing so had become unrealistic-- until now. Over the course of the last several years, Comic Con International had grown too large to accommodate the demand of people who wished to attend the convention, so the news that the city wishes to work with the convention on expansion could not come at a better time.

“This is the first step that you have to do,” Mayor [of the city of San Diego] Jerry Sanders said. “You have to get everybody on the same page … and then we can go through and start refining costs, start refining what the design is going to be. But you can’t even do those things until you get this initial thing done.”

I for one could not think of a better city to host Comic Con International; so to see that the city is taking a step in this direction leaves me hopeful. What do you think?
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#1  Edited By sora_thekey

For me the best idea is to stay since San Diego is 10 minutes away! 
    also the Con has been in SD for so long you'd expect for it to stay there, it would not be smart to change it's place! 

If you think about it the expansion might allow more people to go! and have the tickets be sold out at least until June!
    mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#2  Edited By mrrpm01

If that's the case someone needs to  get rid of travel planners!!!!  Why not have the hotels set prices via a committee of some sort and, why not have a ticket sale count down instead of the colored bar I mean orbitz does it why not comic con.  So that way we can have a true count of preview night sales as well as other nights.  If they can impliment those things it will be a better experiance for  all involved and lastly, why not try this if you get your tickets for comic-con in 2010 you can pick which hotel you want to stay at (as long as you place a deposit on room 1week after reservation is made if not you have to wait till march) that way not only are sales boosted but it is a bigger incentive to get tickets not only for yourself but for friends and family for next year.  Feel free to pass that along to Mr. Glazer.

EnterTheHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#3  Edited By EnterTheHero

I hope it stays in SD, I'd be interested to know which city has a larger convention center that place is huge!

doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#4  Edited By doordoor123

I would gladly welcome ComicCon to LA. LOL
    but San Diego is aiight too.

No_Name_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 55

#5  Edited By No_Name_
    @EnterTheHero said:
    " I hope it stays in SD, I'd be interested to know which city has a larger convention center that place is huge! "
    Anaheim, Vegas are both larger
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#6  Edited By Agent Buttons
    oh goody...still don't have a comic con on the east side tho -____-
    Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

Dang I was hoping it would move to MN

FoxxFireArt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8  Edited By FoxxFireArt

I was holding out on an insane hope that it would move to Cincinnati. That opinion was colored by the fact that I live in northern Kentucky.

@Babs said:

" @EnterTheHero said:
    " I hope it stays in SD, I'd be interested to know which city has a larger convention center that place is huge! "
    Anaheim, Vegas are both larger "
    Not in the least bit surprising that Vegas would have a large area for conventions. Conventions alone probably makes up about a third of Vegas' yearly revenue. Best not to discuss the other two thirds. lol
    Dr. Detfink

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#9  Edited By Dr. Detfink

This is the reason why I will never go to San Diego comic-con...because San Diego is a nice town but it ain't cheap...and it's limited night life and venues for partying. I would love, LOVE it if it moved to Vegas. For one, after 11 hours of lines...you need something open 24/7 to give you some excitement. Also better competition for hotel rates.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.