Follow

San Diego Comic-Con

Location » San Diego Comic-Con appears in 49 issues.

San Diego Comic Con is the biggest gathering of Comic goodness that happens each year.

Real Life Superheroes in New York

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

I'm sure they look a lot more badass at night.
     I'm sure they look a lot more badass at night.

Bruce Vain brought to our attention a New York Post article  about a veritable- Justice League of real life superheroes in the Big Apple. Having checked out Mr. Vain’s profile, I must comment that if anybody’s big and dangerous-looking enough to be a costumed vigilante in reality, it’s him. Anyway, get the full story from  the article and look at the accompanying video I’ve included below.

The funny thing is, when I checked this article out, the next most popular article has the headline “Oprah’s ‘hidden life’” and the first thought that popped into my head was… has Oprah been moonlighting as superheroine? She may not be roaming the streets a Chicago as a violent vigilante, but the Windy City’s famous lady has done plenty heroic things during the daylight with her countless philanthropic efforts. I actually went to high school with a number of kids who were part of a scholarship program she ran.  

Following that, and, in the spirit of Life’s talk on the video about the call to charity, I’ll put on the “serious hat” for a minute, here...

And  I'll encourage you all to take advantage of a chance to become real life superheroes, yourselves. You don’t have to put on a flashy outfit and beat up criminals to save lives… it’s really just as easy as laying back for 20 minutes. I don’t know if C2E2 will be having a blood drive this weekend, but I know for a fact that there was on at Wonder Con and there will be one at the San Diego Comic Con. I encourage anybody here on the Comic Vine community to stop by the drive if they’re attending the show. Not only is it easy, not only is it painless, but you’ll also get a free bag of merch for your efforts (the value of which is pronounced to anybody whose wallet’s hurt after roaming a convention) and a whole table of free juice and cookies (the value of which at a convention is especially pronounced to anybody who’s had to pay 5 dollars for a hot dog on the floor).

No Caption Provided

Even if you can’t make it out for any of those shows, I encourage you to check out the Red Cross’ website and see if there’s a drive near you. My blood type’s O-Negative and I’ve been getting a lot of postcards from the Cross about“O-Negative Superheroes.” While the need  is certainly greater during disasters like the earthquake in Haiti, blood is always in shorter supply than it ought to be. So again, please, check out the Red Cross’ website, sign up for the donation and get a badass bandage on your arm that your friends will all be envious of.
    == TEASER ==

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Decept-O

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 6

#1  Edited By Decept-O

Bruce Vain should play Conan in the next movie. Plus Bruce is pretty cool, he usually gets some great scoops.   
    Nice suggestion for people to donate blood, Mr. Pinchuk.    
    It doesn't take much to be a "hero".  Little things like a hello, asking how someone is doing, maybe giving someone something to eat, or clothing.  However I don't encourage anyone to give money to panhandlers, they will use it for alcohol and/or drugs.  Sorry but that's just my opinion.  There are however, charities and organizations where you can donate money or even better, your time.   Charity is love, simple as that.
    pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By pixelized

Gross Factor has me O.D.-ing over here.

ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By ARMIV

Pretty freaking cool.

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jordanstine

Poser... psh!
    Poser... psh!
    You mean Kick-Ass isn't a real life superhero???? 

:(  <- sad face
    Illuminarch

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Illuminarch

This may be ever-so-slightly off-topic, but I think it's a good place to bring up a question I've been wondering about for a while.

If disguised vigilantes and metahumans were real and prominent, what sort of things would they do besides battle criminals? I am certainly not opposed to vigilantism in principle, nor do I think it's ridiculous that even normal people could make a significant deterrent effect against crime, but unless you're in a real hellhole there's simply not enough crime to keep you occupied. Now, I understand that many of these superheroes couldn't go out adventuring all night every night, but even so I think they're still left with a lot of free time if all they're focused on is thrashing muggers.

So what other sorts of activities would they involve themselves in? There are some obvious things like rescuing people from fires and performing first aid on injured people, but what else? Traffic accident response? Charitable appearances? Training (like first responder or self defense)? How many would charge simply for patrolling, like a subscription patrol service? I'm curious what your ideas are.

UltimateHero

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By UltimateHero

Real Life Superheroes are awesome..great story (donning utility belt and cape)

Avatar image for defaultdefaultdefault
    defaultdefaultdefault

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Decept-O said:
    " It doesn't take much to be a "hero".  Little things like a hello, asking how someone is doing, maybe giving someone something to eat, or clothing.  However I don't encourage anyone to give money to panhandlers, they will use it for alcohol and/or drugs.  Sorry but that's just my opinion.  There are however, charities and organizations where you can donate money or even better, your time.   Charity is love, simple as that. "
    sadly, i was just talking to someone about Florida.
    Avatar image for deactivated-603054d50af47
    deactivated-603054d50af47

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@pixelized said:
    " Gross Factor has be O.D.-ing over here. "
    daveydavey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#9  Edited By daveydavey

Right On....I like Life, he's cool. About detering the drug dealers,I dont think thats a good idea.Safety wize.

jamdown

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#10  Edited By jamdown

20 bucks they get the $#!T beaten out of the at night, but it's pretty kewl...SUPER O!!!! her power is to give out free cars to every one she sees
    Bruce Vain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11  Edited By Bruce Vain
    @Tom Pinchuk: 

LOL  Well thank you , sir. When trouble's a foot I'm always there to strike fear & justice to those who do evil doings to good people who can't defend themselves. 

You know I always considered Oprah to be the female version of Bruce Wayne. For all her great work she does to help others.

@Decept-O said:

"Bruce Vain should play Conan in the next movie. Plus Bruce is pretty cool, he usually gets some great scoops. " 

Brother, if I knew where the auditions were. I would've gone and done it in a heartbeat. Cause truthfully I really dislike who they got for the new Conan movie. Buuut if there's a chance for me to audition for Casey Jones. I am there !!! :D 

And thanks man you're a good guy too. Always enjoy our conversations. Yea lately I've been lacking on getting intel on the comic book world stuff. Just been so busy with football,work & women. ha ha ha jk ...kind of  :-P

@daveydavey said:

"Right On....I like Life, he's cool. About detering the drug dealers,I dont think thats a good idea.Safety wize. "

That's my concern as well. When they're dealing with the drug dealers. Being from NY (Long Island) & going into the city many times. Those guys are taking a chance. Especially, being open with their "identity" like that & only having flashlights & cell phones. I mean really ? All they need is a whistle & they're Craig & Day Day. lol - So I wish to see these guys be a little more safe. But my hat goes off to them to help the needy like that. 

Top Flight Security of the Wuurld Craig !!
    Top Flight Security of the Wuurld Craig !!
    Son_of_Magnus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 15

#12  Edited By Son_of_Magnus

They aint super heroes

Archetype

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Archetype

*ahem*ahem*
    Gentlemen I'll just leave this here...before subjecting you all to my will of course.

Submit!

NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By NightFang3

This isn't gonna end will for anybody. 

Avatar image for deactivated-5ffc7df6492da
    deactivated-5ffc7df6492da

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 2

I'd like to quote Kick Ass right now errhmm 
    "Is everyday life really so exciting, are schools and offices so thrilling that I'm the only one who ever fantisized about this. Come on be honest with yourself at some point in our lives we all wanted to be superheroes. That's not me by the way that's some armenian guy with a history of mental health problems."

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.