Follow

San Diego Comic-Con

Location » San Diego Comic-Con appears in 49 issues.

San Diego Comic Con is the biggest gathering of Comic goodness that happens each year.

Angelina Jolie Will Be At Comic Con, After All

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here

I could easily see IDW publish something this.
     I could easily see IDW publish something this.

I suppose it’s a sign of the times when there’s speculation and confirmation about an actress coming to Comic Con even when she isn’t appearing in a comics-based movie. The Hollywood Reporter’s saying now that Angelina Jolie will, indeed, be showing up at SDCC but it won’t be for WANTED 2 (as you’ve probably surmised from her recent statements.) She’s actually promoting her new movie, the spy actioner SALT, for Columbia in the same presentation that BATTLE: LOS ANGELES will be previewed at. Seeing as how she’s been Fox, Lara Croft and the eye-patch-wearing pilot in SKY CAPTAIN, I suppose you could say Jolie’s got enough cred at this point to be considered a comics character herself.

You know, I’ve gone to Comic Con for the past couple years and I’ve listened to all the commentary about movies “taking over” the show. I’m, of course, leery of comics possibly getting edged out what’s supposed to be something specifically devoted to their celebration. However, having gone to conventions all over the country for the past five years, I still say it’s plainly obvious that SDCC’s comics portion still dwarfs that of any other show - - even ones supposedly devoted entirely to comics. Even if you entirely cut out all the movie parties, TV panels and video game booths… the show would still be overwhelming. And if you look at the staggering programming schedule, most of those panels are still about comics. So why worry about all this stuff that's there in addition to the base? == TEASER ==

The other funny thing is that I could easily see SALT as comic, anyway. Maybe something written by Greg Rucka or Ed Brubaker and drawn by Marc Andreyko or Tommy Lee Edwards. I also think it’s funny that, supposedly, the script was originally written for Tom Cruise and then rewritten to fit Jolie.

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

Magian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 11

#2  Edited By Magian

I've never been to a a Comic-Con but I don't think comics will ever get edged out.

Comiclove5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By Comiclove5
    @aztek the lost said:
    "

Well isn't Screened (CV's sister site for movies and tv) going to Comic-Con? I think that's proof enough movies are taking over the SDCC

"

I completely agree they should just call it Hollywond Con at this point.
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By goldenkey

She was in Wanted, a comics based movie, so it's only somewhat smart on her part to actually promote the movie at a place there is a good number of people who probably saw her in wanted and let them know she making another movie.  I haven't been to SDCC but from what Ive heard the movie portion doesn't dent it.

THALASTDRAGON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#6  Edited By THALASTDRAGON

i've attended tha cons in chicago since '05, and after tha last 2 years of wizard cons and theyre increasing attention to movie and tv people and news, C2E2 was just what i needed. i've wanted to go to SDCC for several years, but could never make it. whenever i would think about it, it would always appear in my head as tha place where all comic fans should go. but in tha last couple years, tha image in my mind has changed a bit becuz of all tha movie and tv focus. but i am still plannin a trip there in 2011. and somethin Tom said made me feel a lil better about tha show

"However, having gone to conventions all over the country for the past five years, I still say it’s plainly obvious that SDCC’s comics portion still dwarfs that of any other show - - even ones supposedly devoted entirely to comics." 

and knowing how soon everything gets sold out for tha show, im startin my plannin tha moment this years show is over
    blaakmawf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By blaakmawf

It does look like a comic book artist drew her.

Lustwish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Lustwish

YES! take a hike.  Your forget what the con is all about.  it has now turned into a multimedia lunchbox for stars. 

Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#9  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Comiclove5 said:
    " @aztek the lost said:
    "

Well isn't Screened (CV's sister site for movies and tv) going to Comic-Con? I think that's proof enough movies are taking over the SDCC

"
    I completely agree they should just call it Hollywond Con at this point. "

Hahaha
    theiconic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By theiconic

they let  gayleywood take over  im sick of this

IronPatriot78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By IronPatriot78

We have to stop it or soon comic will go  into Extinction. 
    And I hate technology. The Human race depends on it to much. One day technology will take over the world. Well it already has but go ahead and laugh at me. They make to many films about it thats why nobody believes it's going to happen.

nataliec

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By nataliec
    @Comiclove5 said:
    "@aztek the lost said: I completely agree they should just call it Hollywond Con at this point. " 

Well Twilights not going to be there this year so that makes it slightly better.. don't you think?
    UnclePappyWolf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 6

#13  Edited By UnclePappyWolf

I think one thing movies and comics in the same con do is not only legitimize comics as a viable art from but elevate the movie audience to a sophisticated Comic fan base. It is a way for Comic Fans to see that their voice is a strong one in the sup pop cultural world. So to me Comics and Movies at Comic Con  are win win scenario. And if you don't think so then there are plenty of Cons that don't have that to attend.

Retro_Metro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Retro_Metro
    @IronPatriot78 said:
    "We have to stop it or soon comic will go  into Extinction. And I hate technology. The Human race depends on it to much. One day technology will take over the world. Well it already has but go ahead and laugh at me. They make to many films about it thats why nobody believes it's going to happen. "

Affirmitive; That's why you can always teach a dog new tricks before the Dog Show. I'm really thankful for the classic props we have for making low budget movies. If I started one it would be under $ 3,000 dollars.
    NightFang3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#15  Edited By NightFang3

It woundn't be the same without her, but I'm sick of movies and TV shows that have nothing to do with comics being at Comic-Con!

Avatar image for ironspidy_rooney
    IronSpidy-Rooney

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#16  Edited By IronSpidy-Rooney

meh

Elixir95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By Elixir95

SALT!  I can't wait for this film xD!

mavfan626

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By mavfan626
    @IronSpidy-Rooney said:
    "meh "
    Avatar image for deactivated-asdf987sdf
    deactivated-asdf987sdf

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nice

fisto77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#20  Edited By fisto77

cool
    Ebbm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By Ebbm

Salt looks too unoriginal to be fun.
    MatKrenz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 255

#22  Edited By MatKrenz

Really ?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.