Follow

San Diego Comic-Con 2013

Concept » San Diego Comic-Con 2013 appears in 33 issues.

The 43rd year of the biggest annual comic convention.

Get Ready for San Diego Comic-Con 2013

• 48 results
    gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 472

User Lists: 2

Edited By gmanfromheck

I don't mean to alarm anyone but San Diego Comic-Con 2013 is just one week away. Less if you include Preview Night. This marks Comic Vine's sixth year covering the event. We've come a long way since that first show in 2008 in which I covered the show solo. This year, without a doubt, will be Comic Vine's biggest year.

No Caption Provided

I will be arriving on Tuesday to prepare for Wednesday's events. DC Entertainment and DC Collectibles is kicking things off with some private presentations on that day so we should be getting some updates soon afterwards. Preview Night also allows up to have access to the show floor so we'll be putting the final touches on our game plan.

Who's going?

Mat loves holding cables.
    Mat loves holding cables.

Besides me, Mat "Inferiorego" Elfring will be making a return appearance. The guy really loves sitting in big old Hall H most of the day. I asked everyone to list three things their looking forward to. Here's Mat's response:

1. Rollin' With My Homies (Picture me as Brittney Murphy in Clueless)

Well, I love my job. I love writing for the site, and San Diego Comic-Con is like a yearly bonus for me. It's like a vacation. Sure, we all end up busting our butts at SDCC too, but the con is nerdgasmic. I never have that much fun working. It will be a super-interesting years since there will be five of us working the show: Tony, Gregg, Jen, Andy (cameraman), and me. I've worked with Tony a billion times (not literally), Jen once, at C2E2 (literally), and met Andy briefly last year, but Gregg and I never came face-to-face. I really enjoy working together with all of these folks, even though we occasionally get separated in the massive Comic Con crowds.

2. PANELS!

I really need to bring some cushions this year so my butt doesn't hurt so much from sitting through all the amazing panels. There are tons of panels I want to go to, but sadly, I won't be able to make them all. On Thursday alone, there's eight panels I want to check out. The two I'm most pumped about are the Walking Dead 10th Anniversary Panel and the Vertigo Comics Panel. I've gone through the entire list of panels I'd like to see and there's about 30 I want to go to. If only I could clone myself! While walking the floor is always cool, and checking out the cosplayers is a ton of fun, panels are my favorite part of the comic con experience.

3. Meeting Up With People

My favorite thing to do, every year, is meet users from Comic Vine at the con. I left this as number three on my list for suspense purposes only. This is my fourth year going with team Comic Vine, and I've gotten to know and meet tons of people, some who are still on the site, and others who have disappeared. It's awesome to put a face next to the user name and profile pic, and I have not had one bad experience with a viner, which leads me to believe that Comic Vine users are just a better breed of people. That's why, last year, former staff writer and partner in crime Tom Pinchuk and I took a few viners out to dinner at the classiest restaurant in San Diego: Hooters. It's all about making the week/weekend the funnest experience as possible and talking it up with people you only get to see once a year. SDCC is a welcome home party for me and my stomping grounds are usually out front of the Hyatt, with the rest of the smokers, talking about anything and everything. Find me and I'll give you some Menudo trading cards.

NYCC was just the warm up.
    NYCC was just the warm up.

Gregg "k4tzm4n" Katzman will make his SDCC debut. Poor guy doesn't know what he's getting into. Here's what he thinks he's looking forward to:

1. Seeing the show floor and everything it has to offer

This is my FIRST time going to SDCC, and since everyone tells me it's even bigger than NYCC, I imagine there's A LOT to soak in and see. When I'm not running from panel to panel or interviewing, I'm definitely going to wander the floor and buy anything and everything that catches my eye. It'll be a dangerous week for my wallet.

2. TMNT!

Seriously, I'm going to overdose on Ninja turtles at this event. Not only is there a panel about the IDW comic which I'm beyond excited about, but there's also going to be a panel for the super awesome Nick show. Previews of City Fall and new episodes? Yes, please!

3. Batman: Arkham Origins

Rocksteady no longer being behind the game is a bit concerning, but everything we've seen thus far shows they're aiming to keep the signature feel of the astonishing series while adding plenty of villains I love for great boss battles. Thrown in some nifty new features for decetive mode and I'm stoked to see more of this game.

Honorable Mention: Potentially meeting Viners because I love you all.

No Caption Provided

Jen "MissJ" Aprahamian has been to many many shows. Jen made her Comic Vine debut back in April at C2E2. What is Jen looking forward to?

1. Geek Fashion Extravaganza

I'm going to teach Tony, Mat, Eddie, and Gregg a thing or two about geeky fashion, and you, dear Comic Viners, get to come along for the ride. We'll be hitting up some of the hottest spots on the show floor for superhero-worthy apparel, like Her Universe, WeLoveFine, and more. Fabulous shoes are optional.

2. DOOMQUEST

I'll be on the hunt for art, figures, and photo ops with cosplayers dressed as my favorite supervillain.

3. Shenanigans

Don't tell the Comic Vine staffers; I'll be playing a few pranks on them :)

Eddie in 2008
    Eddie in 2008

Eddie "MrRPM01" Newsome is our resident Cosplayer. The funny thing is I took this picture here in 2008, but it wasn't until the following year we actually met and talked. Eddie's been working with us at SDCC since.

Here's a tease, you can look for a special video with Eddie this coming Tuesday. I won't say what the subject matter is, but you can probably figure it out.

Eddie makes his own costumes and chances are you've seen pics of him. Eddie will be dressed as the following this year:

Hardware

Nick Fury Jr

Future Static

Eddie is also looking forward to the following:

1. MILESTONE Panel and honors...long time coming

2. Marvels Movie line-up

3. DC's announcements about the future and New 52

No Caption Provided

What about me?

Hard to limit it to just three.

1. Friends and the Community

People may not realize that there is an insane amount of work that goes into covering a convention, especially SDCC. But that is in no way a complaint. You get pumped up on adrenaline despite the lack of sleep and it's all worth it. Conventions are when you can see the friends you've made over the years. Being together with Mat, Gregg, Jen and Eddie will be a blast.

Along with this is talking to the creators and members of the members of the Community. I plan on giving away some comics and Marvel trading cards to those that find me. And of course some Comic Vine stickers!

2. News and Collectibles

I'm a sucker for the comic collectibles. DC Collectibles always unveils some epic pieces that will make you drool and tear up at the same time (especially when you start thinking about how you're going to save up to buy it all). There is so much to see at Comic-Con. Four days is never enough.

3. SDCC is its own world

It's sort of like the Twilight Zone but without the ironic deaths or threats. It does feel like you're in another world.

Don't forget about GameSpot!

We'll actually be doing some team up with our sister site. They'll have a live stage across the street at Lou & Mickey's at their Base Station. You'll want to keep an eye on GameSpot.com because they'll be doing live-streams and I'll be making my way over there at least once a day with some comic guests. You'll want to follow Comic Vine and GameSpot on Twitter because we'll be giving away some really cool stuff. Like on Saturday there will be a pretty epic giveaway from a company that always has a huge presence at the show.

Follow us on Twitter

Here's links to all our accounts. We'll likely be updating throughout the week.

Comic Vine: @ComicVine

GameSpot: @gamespot

Tony: @GManFromHeck

Mat: @inferiorego

Gregg: @GreggKatzman

Jen: @JenniferMarie

Eddie: @mrrpm01

Meet and Great?

There isn't anything planned right now. You'll want to follow our Twitter feeds if anything pops up. Possibly we'd update the site as well.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Where will you all be roaming around?

Will I see you guys there on Preview Night?

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork: Absolutely. We'll be all over the place. Good chance you'll see us at the DC or Marvel booth. Artist Alley as well. And some of the panels.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By nerdork

@g_man: Well, that is just awesome. I cant wait to meet you guys!

See you all there!

Are you excited to see the GoTG Panel? Seems really promising.

@k4tzm4n: I am really excited for you man. The first SDCC experience is the best. Just a jaw dropping, awe inspiring experience. Looking forward to meeting you possibly...if we run into eachother.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

One of these days I'm going to get to go to a con... ONE OF THESE DAYS

FUN FACT:

Did you know that San Diego is actually German for "a whales vagina"?

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By nerdork

@jonny_anonymous said:

FUN FACT:

Really? I heard Scholars mantain that the translation was lost, hundreds of years ago.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

User Lists: 8

IF one of yall are able to talk to Stjepan Šejić about Sunstone his webcomic on Deviant art and soon to be physical comic that would be GREAT.

O poor Inferiorego doomed to sit in Hall H and protect his eyes from being stabbed as he sees lots of movie stuff

Trevel8182

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 30

Loading Video...

The_Wolverine_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUN FACT:

Wal-Scheide is German for whale vagina.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#10  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@jonny_anonymous said:

FUN FACT:

nope

Loading Video...

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By nerdork

@mrmazz said:

IF one of yall are able to talk to Stjepan Šejić about Sunstone his webcomic on Deviant art and soon to be physical comic that would be GREAT.

O poor Inferiorego doomed to sit in Hall H and protect his eyes from being stabbed as he sees lots of movie stuff

I was pretty mad when that happened, they had to stop the panels in Hall H for like 2 hours almost, then cut short the Cowboys and Aliens panel by 30 minutes. I mean, how can you cut that one short? It was Harrison Ford's first appearance at Comic Con...ever!

KingofAtlantis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

FUN FACT:

No Caption Provided

czechoslovakia

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Brittany Murphy :(

blkson

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

" MILESTONE Panel and honors"

kilomac29

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Its great to read one of these preview pieces that isn't just a complaint-laced tirade about how SDCC is a hassle and its too crowded. Always look forward to reading about what's happening during the con.

k4tzm4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#17  Edited By k4tzm4n  Moderator

@nerdork said:

@g_man: Well, that is just awesome. I cant wait to meet you guys!

See you all there!

Are you excited to see the GoTG Panel? Seems really promising.

@k4tzm4n: I am really excited for you man. The first SDCC experience is the best. Just a jaw dropping, awe inspiring experience. Looking forward to meeting you possibly...if we run into eachother.

Thanks and likewise!

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Hope I run into you guys at this year's Comic Con.

sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

Have fun you guys!

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#20 inferiorego  Staff

@nerdork said:

@mrmazz said:

I was pretty mad when that happened, they had to stop the panels in Hall H for like 2 hours almost, then cut short the Cowboys and Aliens panel by 30 minutes. I mean, how can you cut that one short? It was Harrison Ford's first appearance at Comic Con...ever!

That happened like 20 feet from Matt Rorie and I. It SUCKED.

Its great to read one of these preview pieces that isn't just a complaint-laced tirade about how SDCC is a hassle and its too crowded. Always look forward to reading about what's happening during the con.

It is very crowded, but everyone going already should know that, and who wants to hear people whine about SDCC? Unless it's about my butt being sore from those terrible, TERRIBLE panel chairs.

I'd also like to announce I hate Hall H. Tony and Gregg keep trying to convince me I love it.

gumflabica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I'll be there if I can...... but money is not plentiful.....

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By nerdork

@inferiorego said:

@nerdork said:

@mrmazz said:

We were in the front 1/4, so that happened fairly behind us. But, I laughed really hard when they brought Harrison Ford out in hand cuffs.

So, you are the resident Hall H staff? If that's true, they may have to amputate your buttocks, after such punishment. Those chairs, if you can call those sadistic things chairs, bring out he worst in people.

@gumflabica: Aww man, if you dont already have tickets, you'll have to get scalped prices outside, or murder someone and take theirs.

SandMan_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Man Of Steel sequel, Wonder Woman and Flash movie. That's all I want to be announced in SDCC.

MrMazz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 299

@inferiorego: u did do the right thing and position yourself infront of Matt Rorie to protect him right? No harm can come to the boss of bosses and king of puppies

LordRequiem

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I think, and hope, they'll release some more Thor: The Dark World footage. That which I need to see.

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

#26 inferiorego  Staff

@mrmazz said:

@inferiorego: u did do the right thing and position yourself infront of Matt Rorie to protect him right? No harm can come to the boss of bosses and king of puppies

Matt Rorie is invulnerable to pens to the eye.

He is the king of kings. This picture is for him.

No Caption Provided

b

@nerdork said:

@inferiorego said:

@nerdork said:

@mrmazz said:

We were in the front 1/4, so that happened fairly behind us. But, I laughed really hard when they brought Harrison Ford out in hand cuffs.

So, you are the resident Hall H staff? If that's true, they may have to amputate your buttocks, after such punishment. Those chairs, if you can call those sadistic things chairs, bring out he worst in people.

I used to be, my first two years there, but last year, I did only panels on the second floor. This year, I'm there, for sure, for one panel on Saturday: Marvel Movies.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By EnigmaLantern

This is one of the cons of not living in America. I envy you all..darn it

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By nerdork

@enigmalantern: You definitely have to try and make it over one year.

@inferiorego: Yeah, I’ll be in Hall ‘H’ all day on Saturday…from the beginning of Warner to the end of the Kevin Smith panel. But, I am itching to check out the Masquerade Ball. Been going to SDCC since 2007, and haven’t been to it once.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork: I plan to move to America during my university studies, or do at least a study year in America. It will be then that I will take my opportunity without a moments hesitation. It looks SO GOOD, and meeting writers and artist, what more could a comic book fan ask for..

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By nerdork

@enigmalantern: Yeah, I love SDCC. When I am more financially secure, I plan to go to all major Con’s across the country. I’ll definitely take a lot of pics, and post them in the Off Topic section. I plan to get a lot of autographs. I am also going for a lot of collectibles, so I will be showing those off on here.

I do have to say, though, that I am jealous of you. I always wanted to study abroad when I was in college, but didn’t qualify for the program. So, good for you.

EnigmaLantern

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By EnigmaLantern

@nerdork: Definitely give me a shout when you post them please, I'd love to see them!

I wouldn't be jealous for long, the course I'm applying for isn't that easy, I'll have to work for it but I do have to admit that the education system in the UK (universities in this case) are highly privileged in giving students the opportunity to work in an industry for a year or study abroad for a year.

If I went to SDCC I'd definitely try and get my favourite comics autographed and then framed instantly. Also the idea of meeting some of my favourite artists and writers would be pretty awesome, I'll happily admit my jealousy of comic vine staff who get opportunities like these haha.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By MissJ
    nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@missj: I'll save a spot in line for ya. ;)

MissJ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrrpm01: Hey, you’re in Comic Con: Episode IV, a Fan’s Hope…aren’t you? When the Captain America cast came for a signing.

Ninjablade09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#37  Edited By Ninjablade09

@the_wolverine_ said:

@jonny_anonymous said:

FUN FACT:

nope

Loading Video...

I love that movie. Was on the other day.

mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

@nerdork: YES it was an honor to be in the film add well add at the end when they asked me why do I cosplay. Thanks for remembering

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mrrpm01 said:

@nerdork: YES it was an honor to be in the film add well add at the end when they asked me why do I cosplay. Thanks for remembering

My GF and I watch that movie at least once a month. So, you're famous at our house. You were in the Deadpool costume at the end, right?

My GF is in it for a second too, she is the curly haird girl in one of the panels. They announce, "you guys ready to see what we've shot so far"...then her face. She still goes crazy about it.

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork said:

@mrrpm01: Hey, you’re in Comic Con: Episode IV, a Fan’s Hope…aren’t you? When the Captain America cast came for a signing.

I was supposed to be in it too :(

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By nerdork

@g_man: What, they cut out G-Man?...My girly and I have officially been robbed. Im sorry to hear that. I would have loved to hear your input on SDCC.

mrrpm01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

redhood21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Ill never get to comicon :'(

gmanfromheck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@nerdork: My impression is because they went in a different direction. Originally they weren't going to follow the five (or whatever) people (no, I haven't seen the movie since they cut me out!). It was a cool experience, the set up they filmed. Basically they asked you questions and you had to answer with stating the question in the answer. They said I did a great job, was comfortable on camera (not surprising) but then about a year later they changed the format. So BOO! to them.

nerdork

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By nerdork

@g_man: Why did they change the format? That is lame. My favorite parts are during the confessionals from all the different Coners and celebrities. I would have liked more of that. It is a chore following the "plot".

Avatar image for nightmaredreamer
    NightmareDreamer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I want to go to comic con! someday i will tho (:

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Another year I haven't made it to CCI...sad days ahead. So sad.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.