Awesome Toy Picks: Convention Exclusive 'The Big Bang Theory' Sheldon

Posted by G-Man (35108 posts) - - Show Bio

Each week we take a close look at a comic book collectible. That means we take it out of the package. This week's selection isn't exactly fully comic book related but it's close enough. At San Diego Comic-Con this past summer, Entertainment Earth had some convention exclusive items. When we did a booth tour video, this Sheldon figure caught my eye and Entertainment Earth was kind enough to send me one!

Check out the video above to see the unboxing as well as a closer look at the figure out of the package, in action. Plus, not seen below, you'll find out what exactly Sheldon is hiding beneath his shirt!

The packaging is pretty cool. The back even has some info about the character as well as an action shot of the cast.

I won't deny it, I'm a fan of the show. Surprisingly, I actually completely missed out on the first season. Somehow the show aired and I had no idea what was going on. It wasn't until San Diego Comic-Con the Summer before the second season started that I discovered the show. I arrived early in a room for the Spectacular Spider-Man panel (or maybe it was a Cup of Joe panel) and saw the cast talking about the show. I picked up the first season DVD set and have been hooked since.

What's cool about this figure is it's almost like the old MEGO figures from the 70s.

What makes this figure different from the normal Sheldon figure is he has different color pants, his sleeves are green instead of brown and he comes with one of those big bags you get an SDCC.

As you can see, one side says Batman and the other is Teen Titans Go!

He has a decent amount of articulation for this type of figure. What you'll want to do is put him up on display somewhere. Sheldon is such an annoying character on the show but you can't help be entertained.

I will likely keep him at the office. After all, "Welcome home" and all that.

We'll have an actual comic book related collectible next week. I just couldn't resist sharing this one. If you're interested in getting this Sheldon figure (or the regular), you can still order one from Entertainment Earth's website.

Staff
#1 Posted by sinestro_GL (3177 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I do watch TBBT, I have become increasingly annoyed with certain elements of the show - such as the laugh track, and the errors they make when they (needlessly) make comic book references, which at times feels very forced.

#2 Posted by sinestro_GL (3177 posts) - - Show Bio

...but about the figure itself, it does have a nice retro look.

#3 Posted by turel_hash_ak_gik (350 posts) - - Show Bio

he looks like a very young adam west doll. it's neat i guess. maybe robot chicken will use it in their show.

#4 Posted by BumpyBoo (9649 posts) - - Show Bio

Just sayin'.

#5 Edited by pauatt (25 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo:

Ha ha, pretty evil, but damn funny

#6 Posted by Arkhamc1tizen (2145 posts) - - Show Bio

Though I do watch TBBT, I have become increasingly annoyed with certain elements of the show - such as the laugh track, and the errors they make when they (needlessly) make comic book references, which at times feels very forced.

It's not a laugh track they film it in front of a live audience.

#7 Posted by longbowhunter (7129 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo: Yeah! Hit the baked potato setting and watch his smirk melt into a smoking puddle of polypropylene.

#8 Posted by Life_Without_Progress (2067 posts) - - Show Bio

I did not expect a Sheldon Cooper action figure (Not a doll) to be in an article like this

But still... ME WANT

#9 Posted by BumpyBoo (9649 posts) - - Show Bio
#10 Posted by sinestro_GL (3177 posts) - - Show Bio

Canned laughter, or not, it's annoying as hell on TBBT, where the audience dies of laughter for a joke that's not even remotely funny, or for them laughing at references to "geek" culture, when those of us that are part of the culture don't find the references funny because they are lazily done and sometimes incorrect.

#11 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Bazinga!!

#13 Edited by wmwadeii (3249 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not a big fan of TBBT merchandise like the POP! vinyl and now these figures. While the T-Shirts and stuff are cool, this just seems like a blatant attempt to get money. I know a few "geeks" here at work that don't watch it because it's more like they are making fun of the culture than actually showing what's going on. The figures IMO are just an amplification of I'm going to buy that because it's cool and popular.

#14 Posted by iceslick (791 posts) - - Show Bio

LMAO, Sheldon seriously has a SIX PACK and PECKS!!!!? *rolls eyes*

@g_man, why did you fast forward the opening box scene? I wanted hear what you were saying. lol

#15 Posted by lightsout (1830 posts) - - Show Bio

@wmwadeii: Pretty much agree with all that. (I cringe when they get comic-stuff wrong. They fact-check the science facts, why not these?! (Or if the facts aren't wrong - the guys argue over things that people who are informed on the material would know the answer to)).

Also that as the show went on they seemed to move away from the "stereotypical nerd life" & turned it into a more traditional sitcom. That is, at the beginning they were nerdy pathetic dudes & now they pretty much all have girlfriends & have pretty great lives. Not to say nerdy people can't have romantic success, but the original feel of the show was refreshing & (semi) original in that the characters weren't the cliche group of beautiful young people who were always having a great time -- they were unpopular nerds who rarely saw things work in their favor (& IMO, losses some of it's appeal to people who are close to those stereotypes in real life).

#16 Edited by CapFanboy (5274 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

Just sayin'.

Why waste power on that? Matches come cheaper and you can always throw in extra just to be sure.

#17 Edited by BumpyBoo (9649 posts) - - Show Bio
#18 Edited by CapFanboy (5274 posts) - - Show Bio

@bumpyboo said:

@capfanboy: I love the way you think, Cap :)

Can't hear--too busy fantasizing about melted plastic.

#19 Posted by dscythe (40 posts) - - Show Bio

not gonna lie tony, this is a pretty weak pick

#20 Posted by G_Money_Christmas (883 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why everyone loves this show. It's funny the couple times I watched it, but not enough to make me a regular viewer. It seems like some people almost worship it.

#21 Posted by impossibilly (886 posts) - - Show Bio

That was very cool of Entertainment Earth to send you one of the Sheldon SDCC figures. I like the look of the toy, and especially the retro-Batman shirt. If they have any left at NYCC, I may have to buy one for my desk at work.

#23 Posted by jwalser3 (5074 posts) - - Show Bio

What a dumb f$!^ing idea.

#26 Edited by Cezar_TheScribe (2615 posts) - - Show Bio

#27 Posted by paralaxsteve (52 posts) - - Show Bio

So awesome but it does look a little like the ones that Raj and Howard had made of them ie not the most realistic looking model and the clothing just doesn't seem to look right but still awesome non the less

#29 Posted by gor724 (827 posts) - - Show Bio

@sinestro_gl said:

No they don't. A live audience doesn't laugh at unfunny jokes that happen every 3 seconds. That "Live audience" has a really bad sense of humor.

#30 Edited by gor724 (827 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't understand why everyone loves this show. It's funny the couple times I watched it, but not enough to make me a regular viewer. It seems like some people almost worship it.

Your not the only person who despises that overrated, unfunny, garbage.

#31 Posted by Sleepbutnodream15 (570 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely hate this show. I also hate that comic book characters I love are even associated with the show at all.

#32 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

The Big Bang Theory sucks. They just took Two and a Half Men and replaced half of the obvious sex jokes with nerdy references.

It's as badly written and acted as your average sitcom.

Throwing esoteric science jargon and superhero names on top of bad jokes don't make them any funnier.

#33 Posted by Just1Joe (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I'll wait for a Moss figure.

Far better show.

#35 Posted by ScarletWitchFever (69 posts) - - Show Bio

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.