Follow

San Diego Comic-Con 2012

Concept » San Diego Comic-Con 2012 appears in 14 issues.

The 42nd year of the biggest annual comic convention.

SDCC 2012: DC Comics: All Access: OGNs

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

11:15 is the time to start the awesomeness. I'm very excited to see Anthony Bourdain.

11:25: Hi! We Can Be Heroes Campaign mention again. Geoff Johns walks up to the panel. Get Jiro! Anthony Bourdain! Joel Rose and Langin Foss comes up. JMS and Shane Davis come up. Anthony goes over the opening pages of Get Jiro! The crowd laughs as Jiro cuts off someone's head. The art on this book is great and it has great panel composition, but I've already read it because I'm a Anthony Bourdain fanboy.

11:30: Anthony goes over the friendship between Bourdain and Rose and their working relationship. Anthony explains that the book needs beautifully drawn pieces of food, and if you read this book, you know that's there. Anthony says when they saw Langin's work "their heads exploded from awesomeness." Langin says it's the biggest book he's ever done in his life. Bourdain got so detailed about things within the book. Talks about "wine nerds." Geoff says "I didn't know there were such things as wine nerds."

11:40: Batman: Earth One now. Geoff says Gary Frank is the best emotional storyteller. Geoff goes over the opening pages of this book. Geoff says Bruce is in his early twenties. He's still a kid. He wanted to go for things they've never seen Batman do. The art on this book is beautiful. Yes, I've read this one too. Geoff says he didn't want to see a Batman with everything: a batmobile, a batcave, and all that skill. He wanted to put his own spin on the characters. Geoff says whenever he works with Gary, he removes all the narrative because Gary is a great emotional storyteller. "He's tremendous." Geoff says they are working on Volume 2 of Batman and will feature the Riddler and the Killing Joke, and their take on it. The book will be all about Batman becoming a Detective. Geoff says they hope to have it out by the end of next year.

11:45: Superman Earth One, volume 2. JMS discusses the overall character of Superman/Clark Kent. JMS goes over Parasite in the new book and how he starts off very weak, and as he accumulates energy, he gets bigger and more powerful. We get to see the slurpee machine page again, as we saw yesterday in the Superman panel.

11:50: Shane says they researched mosquitoes and ticks as the swell, which they used in a sense on this Parasite. Storywise, Superman/Clark has grown a lot since the first GN. Lots of repeat information from yesterday's Superman panel.

12:00: They going to start playing more in the digital world with books, like OGN. Now, it's time for the question part of this panel. How does a book go to OGN or limited series? Geoff says that the first 20 pages wouldn't work in a single issue. You wouldn't see the arcs, and it should be read in one sitting.

12:05: How did Anthony get involved? He says he did a bit with Harvey Pekar on his show. It grew from that. It's a visual medium. You show don't tell, so he approached it from a much more visual aspect. Story is important but without beautiful images, all is lost. Is Get Jiro entirely his story? Anthony says he came up with the character, the first scene, and the world he lived in. Anthony says he'd love to do a story about Brony that is a serial killer. What's crazier writing comics or working in a kitchen? Working in a kitchen is far crazier.

12:15: Lesser known Earth One character books? Geoff says you will see some characters in volume two of Batman. There's know plans as of yet for other characters to have their own OGN. "None that you know about." During these questions, a Nook and Kindle have been given away. Shane Davis really wants Superman to eye gouge people. This is the second day in a row he's talked about that.

12:20: Turtle Jimmy Olsen? JMS says in 2515, so he can piss off his ghost. Animated or live action Get Jiro? Anthony says no idea. It's not a consideration for him.

12:25: Lots of praise for the new OGNs. Geoff says Riddler from the Volume 2 book, is different. They're moving away a bit from the old Riddler. Final questiom: In Earth One, could Superman or Batman kill if pushed? Geoff says keep reading. JMS says it would be a life altering event. Bye bye! See you later.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By sethysquare

yeah mat. thank god you don't have to eat or anything so u can bring us all these panels from con. ;)

Will you be going for the man of steel panel to give us info on the new MOS trailer?

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#2  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare: Trailer?
    sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By sethysquare

@Jonny_Anonymous: yeah. Today is the day they'll screen the MOS trailer. 1:28 seconds I think. I'll go check which panel it is at.

Edit: Wow. pretty long panel 2:30 to 5. showcasing all 3 movies. Pacific Rim, Hobbit and Man of Steel.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous
    @sethysquare: awesome 
    inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@sethysquare said:

@Jonny_Anonymous: yeah. Today is the day they'll screen the MOS trailer. 1:28 seconds I think. I'll go check which panel it is at.

Edit: Wow. pretty long panel 2:30 to 5. showcasing all 3 movies. Pacific Rim, Hobbit and Man of Steel.

I won't be able to get into that room... Today's schedule is screwy because I have a long break coming up.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By sethysquare

@inferiorego: aw man. its aight. thanks for the rest of the coverage though.

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By sethysquare

Anyhows just saw pages of Get Jiro.

Art looks amazing. I'm tempted to get it.

Also when is Superman Earth One released?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@sethysquare said:

Anyhows just saw pages of Get Jiro.

Art looks amazing. I'm tempted to get it.

Also when is Superman Earth One released?

Get Jiro is a lot of fun.

Superman Earth One: Volume 2 will be released in November, I think. It's in the superman panel page

sethysquare

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By sethysquare

@inferiorego: Alrights thanks. Would probably be getting both. Can't wait.

nykgordon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#10  Edited By nykgordon

Wish there could be a faster turn around on the Earth One books

THEY'RE SO GOOD !!

Aph8825

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#11  Edited By Aph8825

Awesome news about Batman: Earth One vol 2! Hopefully coming out by the end of the year.

Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

Wonder Woman OGN please 

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By inferiorego  Staff

@Aph8825 said:

Awesome news about Batman: Earth One vol 2! Hopefully coming out by the end of the year.

end of 2013... hopefully

Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Wine nerds? lol Really cannot wait for Superman: Earth One Volume 2; I know JMS will be stellar in writing it.

cc1738

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By cc1738

I didn't get Batman Earth One. :( I really want it, but I don't have the money.

CODYSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By CODYSF

I just want to see the Man of Steel trailer.

modunhanul

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By modunhanul

I'm looking forward to see Superman Earth One vol. 2, Batman Earth One.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.