Follow

San Diego Comic-Con 2011

Concept » San Diego Comic-Con 2011 appears in 14 issues.

SDCC 2011 was held at the San Diego Convention Center from Wednesday July 20th to Sunday July 24th, 2011.

SDCC 2011: Cup O' Joe Panel LiveBlog

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff
    No Caption Provided

After a wonderous long wait in line, I have made it to my final destination: The Cup O' Joe Panel here at San Diego Comic Con.

It's supposed to start off at 2:45, but people are filing in. The ballroom we are in is huge. Let's see what announcements we'll get today!

I'll let you know when it all starts up!

2:48- It's started! Joe Quesada is getting things started. Joe explains the panel and how it's mostly Q&A stuff. I'll let you know who is on the dais as soon as their announced because I'm so far away.

2:50 Axel Alonso is here. C.B. Cebulski is here. Jeph Loeb is here. David Gabriel is here. And Arune Singh is here. Discussing .1. Singh says Point One is coming out in November, it's a one-shot that sets up numerous large stories. There is the biggest teaser for the upcoming next year event in this issue.

== TEASER ==

Cable Reborn! December! Jeph Loeb and Ed McGuiness are doing this. Lots of cheers for Cable. I am happy. I have no pictures for it sadly. This will have ramifications for not only the X-Men, but the rest of the Marvel Universe.

No Caption Provided

2:55- Onto Season One, which I have pictures of. It's a jumping on point for all the marvel characters. Ends in May with Spiderman. We'll also see Daredevil, X-Men, and Fantastic Four.

It will be a jumping on point for new readers, not entirely intended for comic book readers, but it will have great creative teams on it.

John Carter tie in with the Disney film, Marvel will do the prequel. They sped through this, but I do have some pictures that they showed on the big screen.

There will be a Castle original graphic novel with Bendis as the writer. They may be incorporating more shows into graphic novels from what it seems.

Ultimate Spider-Man cartoon will be on Disney XD. We're going to get some footage. Looks so awesome. It has a great sense of humor, which a lot of Spidey cartoons have been missing. I'm very excited for this one.

3:00- Question time. Q: Are there other plans to use lesser used characters in back ups? A: Joe says there are. Axel says he'd like to use them more but a new generation has to find them before they can think about long term plans which is why they plan on putting some of these characters in the bigger story arcs as secondary characters. Q: I can't hear this guy's question. He's so soft spoken and I'm way in the back.

3:05- Q: Person praises the Captain America film. He spoils something in the movie, but I wasn't listening thankfully. A: Joe says thanks and wants to destroy Harry Potter. Q: Deadpool question. A: Cue Axel talking about Evil Deadpool. Q: Marvel television crossovers? A: Jeph says he needs to get the shows on the air first. The idea is that everything they're doing takes place in the real world and in the Marvel Universe.

No Caption Provided

3:10- Q: What is Hopes' role in the mutants coming back? A: Read Avengers: Children's Crusade. [It's awesome, you should read it]

3:15- Q: Question for Jeph and Joe makes the comment "What is this Cup O' Jeph?" Q: Will there be mutants in the live action show or X-Men cartoon? A: July 29th on G4 Iron Man, X-Men, Wolverine, Blade animes. There don't seem to be live action X-Men plans. Q: When will Agent Colson go into the comic book world? A: Joe doesn't know, but he loves the character.

Another question for Jeph. How many total Avengers will be in the 2nd season of the cartoon? A: Jeph says watch the show.

3:20- Q: Will there be a return of the Dark Avengers? A: Singh says he thinks so. Stay tuned. There's something coming up with at least a portion of them. Q: More Max titles? A: Axel says there will be more but they want the right characters and they want to do them carefully. Q: More Deadpool questions. Q: More Runaways questions.

I got handed a ticket with a number on it. Hope I win something!

3:25- Q: Where are all the space people? A: Joe says they are talking about things, but can't mention it here but Joe promises that he promises they'll be back. Q: What's going on with the Muppets since they now have the license. A: There's no malicious intent behind that. Muppets will be coming out every third month. Q: More diverse characters in films? (I've heard this so many times) A: If you don't build on the icon characters then the secondaries will fail. But they are getting there.

3:30- Q: How are you going to beat DC's new 52? A: They won't be reactionary to what other people are doing. "We kick their ass all the time. There's a reason their doing it. They need to win a month."

Surprise time.Showing a video. It was a short of Agent Colston and someone else talking. Couldn't hear it very well because people were talking. Then the actor that plays the guy came out, and now he's talking about doing the Avengers film. He'll be voicing Agent Colston in the Spider-Man animated show.

3:35- The clip we saw is being explained. There will be two shorts. The Consultant, which we saw will be available on the Thor Blu-Ray. Agent Sitwell comes out. That piece is over. The clip they showed was so short, so I can't really tell you if it was any good. Q: What characters should we be looking out for? A: Axel says Cable. Hope and Scarlet Witch, and the icons. And Moon Knight. Red She-Hulk, Ultimate Spider-man and Hawkeye.

3:40- Q: Why get rid of Bucky? A: They can't talk about it now. Axel says "dead is dead." The audience scoffs. Q: GLA movie? A: Joe says no. "Nobody would see it... If you could see it 100,000,000 times we would do it."

3:45- Q: What's going on with Doctor Strange? A: Come to the Fear Itself panel and you will not be disappointed. Q: Cross over between Ultimate and 616 universes? A: No plans. Joe wants to keep them apart.

Well guys! Thanks for reading! I'll have more pictures up later!

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for redheadedatrocitus
    RedheadedAtrocitus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 3

Yay for Cable!

gethere

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By gethere

Wow I and a bunch of us were right on the Cable thing. Oh, I will  be looking out for that new Ultimate spiderman cartoon

Shimmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Shimmy

On the subject of Cable:

"Dead is dead," right?

Caligula

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 12

#4  Edited By Caligula

Joe :(

shawn87

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 602

User Lists: 11

#5  Edited By shawn87

I'm excited for Cable. Glad it's not Hulk. 

Avatar image for the_impersonator
    The Impersonator

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 50

#6  Edited By The Impersonator

WHOO-HOO! I KNEW IT! CABLE IS ALIVE!

mrzero1982pt2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By mrzero1982pt2

yay for cable coming back, yuck for loeb doing it 

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#8  Edited By CrimsonTempest

3:30- Q: How are you going to beat DC's new 52? A: They won't be reactionary to what other people are doing. "We kick their ass all the time. There's a reason their doing it. They need to win a month."

Right. Because Siege did so good against Blackest Night and Heroic Age was better than Brightest Day

Oh, wait, that's right, I lied! 

If that was actually true, how come Hawkeye and Mockingbird got snuffed after 8 issues? Their answer to The Rise of Arsenal? How come the Spider-Girl ongoing got cut after 8 issues, their sad retort to Batgirl? They can put themselves to the moon and bark at it for all I care, I'd take The New 52, mangled continuity and all, over Cable being reborn for the 5th time.
    fredofresh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By fredofresh

Cable Reborn?! Dude, that is going to be super awesome!

skaarason

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 1

#10  Edited By skaarason

cable can stay dead i want james alive !!!!

Osiris1428

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Osiris1428

Man, &^%$^! Cable! Bring back Bishop and ret-con all that bad crap he did and make him good/cool again.

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    @shimmy said:

On the subject of Cable:

"Dead is dead," right?

Quoted for great justice.
    Feliciano2040

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13  Edited By Feliciano2040

Didn't Cable die like a year ago ?

Baconbot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Baconbot

@Feliciano2040: Yeah, He "died" in Second Coming.

lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#15  Edited By lb70145
    @CrimsonTempest: Its not the event stuff that Marvel has been "winning" on. Its about everything else. Month by Month Marvel does slightly better. Its not the events that matter. Also, your comparisons are kinda arbitrary. Read the "There Can Only Be One" article. Also, I know he's not specifically saying it this way but in every other respect of media Marvel is kinda beating the crap out of DC. I mean the Avengers cartoon just got done with their entire season and about to show their second. If you want to make the comparison, Young Justice is barely making it off the ground. The 3 Marvel movies this summer have each done outstanding while Green Lantern is disappointing at best. If anything, if DC dominates the print media side of things Marvel will still be doing well in other areas.

I am going to supplement this with saying I am not a Marvel fanboy. I like comics in general. I don't care about companies and ownership. I just like to read and watch good stories. DC has so much potential and they fall short all the time. Joe was right saying what the did. The reason why 52 is happening is because sales have not been up to par (unless "Bat" was in or around the title). Ergo, the universe is being revamped and its looking like for the worse, unfortunately. Yeah DC is going to dominate that month but at what cost?
    RonCatapano

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By RonCatapano

I wonder how long it will be before they introduce "Cable Gold", "Cable Bronze", and "Transformer Cable"??? 

Ron
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By goldenkey

I bet Cable is young this timea round 
    Weapon-Alpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#18  Edited By Weapon-Alpha

i bet it will turn out to be Stryfe instead of cable

Avatar image for insheepsclothes
    insheepsclothes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By insheepsclothes

wait..when they said we will see the Fantastic Four come May-ish, does that mean the actual Fantastic Four (in the present tense)?? i thought Johnny wouldn't be back during Hickman's run??

CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20  Edited By CATPANEXE

GLA movie? A: Joe says no. "Nobody would see it... If you could see it 100,000,000 times we would do it

LIES! I would see it!
    danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#21  Edited By danhimself

the Season One stuff sounds pretty cool...like Earth One but they're actually going to publish more than one a decade

CrimsonTempest

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By CrimsonTempest
    @LB70145: I object to that point. If Marvel's winning against DC in every form of media, then how come they haven't got a Game of the Year under their belt? DC can safely say that by just brandishing Batman: Arkham Asylum. Sure, Marvel has Marvel vs Capcom 3, and its Ultimate iteration, which should be thoroughly enjoyable, and X-Men Destiny, Spider-Man: Edge of Time, Thor: God of Thunder, and Captain America: Super Soldier, which shows that they can dominate with quantity. As far as for quality, I will reiterate that DC has them beat once more, with simply Arkham Asylum, and its sequel Arkham City.

Now, regarding my argument overall, it's no secret that I hold DC Comics in a more favorable light, as I also read Marvel as well. I do agree on the subject of The New 52, it'll be a big risk, and as such I'm questioning if it'll pay off in the long run. Here's hoping that they can pull it off.
    lb70145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By lb70145
    @CrimsonTempest: At that point its a matter of taste really. I personally thought while Arkham Asylum was a good game, I thought it was overrated. I played a lot better games in 2009 not to mention ones that I played over and over again. Arkham Asylum was a game that I played once and felt completely satisfied with after the one play through. If it is a truly great game then I would play over and over again. However, I understand that others have different ways of judging games than I. Arkham Asylum came out 2 years ago man and Arkham City is not guaranteed Game of the Year.

I will give you that Marvel is more of a quantity over quality game publisher. But I like variety. Even if the game is bad at least they tried to make a game for it, you know what I mean? Not to mention they are trying to market other characters. You need to start somewhere. I applaud innovation over status quo any day. Arkham City looks like more of the same (especially since they took out co-op). Again that's just my opinion. With X-Men destiny they are doing a Superhero RPG, granted there is no character creation but again you have to start somewhere. MvC3 is a fighting game and then you have 3 more platformers. DC has to start taking risks if they want to be successful. As I put, DC has a bright rainbow of characters that are overshadowed by a giant bat shaped cloud. Make a good Wonder Woman action rpg. Make a rip-off of Marvel Ultimate alliance only with DC characters that doesn't suck (Justice League Heroes was terrible). Make an MMO that you don't have to pay monthly. If they see bats that print money that's all they will do and their work will stagnate. Arkham City is going to get pounded for not having new things in it to keep the gameplay different (playing other characters don't count). People are going to say that Arkham City may as well be DLC levels from what I can tell.

But again, I think we are going about this all wrong. Neither company should be "winning" over the other. I want both companies to be successful because I like characters on both sides. I would rather that no one gets messed up than someone.
    conformist21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By conformist21

Ha I was at that panel since the last half hour of Marvel Television, and might I suggest attending Quick Draw and Cartoon Voices, I saw it for the first time (for lack of better panels) and was surprisingly entertained.

Was it just me that was annoyed at the black girl who came up asking why there were a buncha white guys in the Avengers? Granted that was true but the annoying part was when she told them "X-Men Origins: Storm" and walked away. Somebody needs to tell her about who owns what in terms of movie rights.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.