SDCC 2011: Ben McKenzie 'Batman: Year One' Interview

Posted by JoeyF (167 posts) - - Show Bio
Play
Please use a flash or html5 video capable browser to watch videos.
00:00:00
Sorry, but you can't access this content!
Please enter your date of birth to view this video

By clicking 'enter', you agree to Comic Vine's
Terms of Use and Privacy Policy

Staff
#1 Posted by Scodiac (38 posts) - - Show Bio

The dude from "The OC" is Batman now? Didn't see that one coming. Sounds like he can pull it off though. 

#2 Posted by NightFang (10074 posts) - - Show Bio

Good interview. 

#3 Posted by B_Heart (152 posts) - - Show Bio

Even though it seems like a odd choice for Batman, DC animated movies have always had good voice actors that come through, so I'm going to wait to make a judgement till after I see the flick.

#4 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

this guy seems like he half knows what hes talking about

#5 Posted by Bestostero (5618 posts) - - Show Bio
Voice actors always surprise me. Men play women, women play men, people who i would never have guessed to play certain character provide voices for them...

This doesn't seem like it will suck. lol
#6 Posted by RedheadedAtrocitus (6885 posts) - - Show Bio

Hmmm...not exactly the guy I would want to voice him but who knows, maybe it will be good!

#7 Posted by clumsyninja (143 posts) - - Show Bio

He was pretty rough on the OC...great actor

#8 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

man, am i the only person who is pretty amped to see ben voice bruce? and yeah, i was a fan of the oc, and i think he fits the bill of batman... good job dc/warner brothers! 

#9 Posted by RUSTMAN (183 posts) - - Show Bio

sounds like he'll do a pretty good job... 

interesting to note that he keeps calling it a graphic novel rather than a comic - as if he's trying to make it sound more 'professional' than just a comic... i don't know just something i thought when i watched it. 

great interview though...

#10 Posted by TDK_1997 (14899 posts) - - Show Bio

I think he'll do a good job

#11 Posted by spaceboy (201 posts) - - Show Bio
@RUSTMAN said:
sounds like he'll do a pretty good job...  interesting to note that he keeps calling it a graphic novel rather than a comic - as if he's trying to make it sound more 'professional' than just a comic... i don't know just something i thought when i watched it.  great interview though...
They probably gave him the trade version so he thought it's a graphic novel.  
#12 Posted by sickVisionz (30 posts) - - Show Bio

Did Kevin Conroy quit voice acting or piss off DC or something?  There seems to be a flat out refusal to use him in movies despite the fact that he's kinda the best Batman by far.  Good for Ben Mac though.  He does good work as an actor.

#13 Posted by JCJQLB (2817 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Ben McKenzie, he will be awesome as Batman

#14 Posted by Baddamdog (2223 posts) - - Show Bio

CALIFORNIAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAA HERE WE COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOME!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

#15 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

@mikeclark1982: Andrea Romano has always been brilliant with the voice casting. I always have complete faith in what she decides.

@RUSTMAN: I'd say he's probably referring to it as a graphic novel because it's been collected as a trade for the longest time. It feels like a graphic novel. But I love that he's upfront that he knows the character but isn't a complete expert. Bugs me when people pretend to know everything.

Staff
#16 Posted by Aspenite (892 posts) - - Show Bio

Had to smile quite often, he´s a funny guy.

#17 Posted by lastdrag0n89 (590 posts) - - Show Bio
@sickVisionz: I dont think so. yes Kevin Conroy is the most notable voice for batman for the last 20 years but like he said in an Interview, He cant be the voice of Batman forever. I also think its fitting for another voice actor to be batman as Year One is a different approach to the Batman Mythology. I would almost say having Conroy voice him would be somewhat distracting. So basically, diff story, diff bats
#18 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

@lastdrag0n89: I completely agree. It's good to get some variety and see other's interpretation. It's like no matter how good your favorite artist is, you wouldn't necessarily want the same person doing the same book always. We'd never discover what other great talents are out there.

Staff
#19 Edited by KDP2 (30 posts) - - Show Bio

That's impressive that Ben wasn't a big fan of comic books, but actually knew and loved Year One before doing this performance.  

#20 Posted by cobra88king8 (345 posts) - - Show Bio
@lastdrag0n89: I agree with you exactly, in fact I think we get too hung up on having the same person voice the same role in these movies and cartoons. I for one loved John Di Maggio as the Joker in Under the Red Hood but the internet was flaming it before hand complaining that Mark Hamill wasn't voicing him in that production. It's refreshing to hear new voices in familiar roles and see their take on characters we are already familiar with
#21 Posted by GTG12 (1575 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben seems like a pretty cool guy. I  have faith that this movie will be very good.
#22 Posted by Renee (10289 posts) - - Show Bio

Ben McKenzie is Batman? 

RYAN!! <3333

Fab interview, I'm so excited for this!
#23 Posted by Asok (336 posts) - - Show Bio

When he said that he had been helped a lot by  Andrea Romano and Bruce Timm, in the little pause before he said "Timm," I thought "WAYNE? HE WAS HELPED BY BATMAN HIMSELF?!?!"  I feel rather stupid >_>.

#24 Posted by Ziltoid_the_Omniscient (7 posts) - - Show Bio

Woo!  Hopefully this will turn out good!  Cast sounds sweet!

#25 Posted by sinful (149 posts) - - Show Bio

woot for batman

#26 Posted by mikeclark1982 (424 posts) - - Show Bio

RYAN ATWOOD!!!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.