dragon ball, why did every sayain become a super saiyan ?

#1 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

The moment Goku become a super saiyan for the first time, he became one of the most badass superheroes in both japanese and american comics, dragonball z's badass got turned up a notch when he turned super saiyan all you kept hearing about during the saiyan saga were talks and rumors about a "super saiyan"................however when every other saiyan and their grandmother could become one, it lost all badass quality's. I also hated the super saiyan 2 3 and 4 forms. In my opinion goku should have been the ONLY saiyan capable of going super and that the basic super saiyan form is the ONLY form and that Goku trained it to be just as powerful as a super saiyan form 3 would be, that makes Goku much more awesome and also makes the super saiyan form that much more special, in which Goku rarely uses the form but only when he really needs to, so that everytime he changes, the audience would know this was going to be epic if the villain was actually strong enough to take on a super saiyan. Vegeta said it best "its like there is a sale on super saiyans" (or something like that). Goku would be the only super saiyan, HOWEVER, during the cell saga(in my opinion when the series should have ended) when Goku takes on cell in his super saiyan form and fails to do so. Gohan would face Cell in his regular form, in which point the audience would think If "Super saiyan Goku cant take cell on, theres no way Gohan can !!" then when Goku dies in front of Gohans eyes, much like how Goku turned super saiyan out of rage, Gohan turns super saiyan for the very first time, and now finally another super saiyan, if all of you can recall, ever since the saiyan saga there was talk of gohans "hidden power" and that he could possibly be stronger than goku, and now in the cell saga that hidden power reveals itself and Gohan has actually surpassed Goku.

Well what do you guys think do you agree with me and like my idea, please comment below and tell me your thoughts

#2 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

Btw sorry of I misspelled saiyan

#3 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm not going to comment on the idea(the show's been over for a while), but I will explain why everyone turned super sayain.

Escalating threat levels. You see it is common tradition in action shows to make sure that every threat is more powerful than the threat of the previous story arc. So when Goku beat Freeza as a super sayain, that basically meant whoever the next major threat was would need to be beyond super sayain in order to be a legitimate threat.

Now did they go overboard? Yes. Which is why Buu ending up being as crazy powerful as he was, which was honestly a bad thing in my book(because the story dragged like crazy due to this).

But you can't change the past so...*shrug*

#4 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

I'm not going to comment on the idea(the show's been over for a while), but I will explain why everyone turned super sayain.

Escalating threat levels. You see it is common tradition in action shows to make sure that every threat is more powerful than the threat of the previous story arc. So when Goku beat Freeza as a super sayain, that basically meant whoever the next major threat was would need to be beyond super sayain in order to be a legitimate threat.

Now did they go overboard? Yes. Which is why Buu ending up being as crazy powerful as he was, which was honestly a bad thing in my book(because the story dragged like crazy due to this).

True however making more super saiyans was not the answer they ruined the awesomeness of the super saiyan form, a better idea is well training, so that all the other non saiyans would have something to do, so that tien krillen yamchia and piccolo would actually have some use, escalating threat levels would also mean that goku would be challenged so that he can train his newly aquired super saiyan form and learn how to better utilize it

#5 Posted by SoA (4975 posts) - - Show Bio

akira toriyama wanted to the story to end when frieza was defeated on namek, and goku staying behind when it exploded. fans pushed for more and we got cell saga, fans wanted more we got buu saga, fans wanted more we got dbgt . fans stopped .

#6 Posted by ArturoCalaKayVee (12061 posts) - - Show Bio

@SoA said:

akira toriyama wanted to the story to end when frieza was defeated on namek, and goku staying behind when it exploded. fans pushed for more and we got cell saga, fans wanted more we got buu saga, fans wanted more we got dbgt . fans stopped .

LOL I liked that last part. But it's actually all true...

#7 Posted by SoA (4975 posts) - - Show Bio

@ArturoCalaKayVee: thanks i try

#8 Edited by BiteMe-Fanboy (8008 posts) - - Show Bio

Super Saiyan is a transformation that any Saiyan or 1/2 Saiyan can achieve. And with alot of training they will more than likely achieve it.

That's basically the answer.

#9 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

Not all saiyans went Super. Pan is an example.

#10 Posted by Mina319 (221 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: @TheCrowbar said:

would you have been surprised if she did ?

#11 Posted by BlackArmor (6147 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the kind of question that can only be answered with the phrase "Cause they can"

#12 Posted by _Zombie_ (10460 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite said:

This. Most mainstream Manga/Anime(I'm looking at you, Bleach and Naruto) resort to this tactic.

#13 Edited by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

Like has been said not all Saiyans went Super Sayian, Pan didn't,neither did Bulla and Tarble didn't either.

Although I can see your point as recently the Japanese Manga/anime Dragon Ball:Episodes of Bardock(released as a tie in to a new japanese video game, Dragon Ball Heroes)

Had Bardock surviving Frieza's blast, and going onto become a super sayian.
#14 Posted by TheCrowbar (4286 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mina319 said:

@TheCrowbar: @TheCrowbar said:

would you have been surprised if she did ?

Yes actually women were constantly marginalized in the Dragon Ball series.

#15 Posted by Deranged Midget (17740 posts) - - Show Bio

I personally don't mind that there were a few more Super Saiyans, but I think Goku and Vegeta should've been the only ones to be SSJ2 or higher.

#16 Posted by baron2011 (1154 posts) - - Show Bio

@Deranged Midget said:

I personally don't mind that there were a few more Super Saiyans, but I think Goku and Vegeta should've been the only ones to be SSJ2 or higher.

this

and they should have ended this ssj transformation at ssj2

#17 Posted by Poontanglife (66 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, i dont think that Akira Toriyama ever really gave an exact answer to this question.

However he DID give an answer to the female saiyans and their potential, on which he said that female saiyans have just as much potential of becoming super saiyans as males, however why Pan never became one is all speculation, i myself either think that she had too little saiyan in her (1/4) or that she never really got to it, technically being the weakest fighter of the saiyans on earth.

Now about Goku and his super saiyan status. Akira Toriyama first wanted Goku to be the only super saiyan, because he wanted the series to end after Namek, and thus making Goku the only Legendary Super Saiyan in a 1000 /10000 years depending on the dub, but due to pressure from fans be continued and had to change a few things, one being the myth of the super saiyan. Fans speculate that Gokus transformation wasnt a ''true'' super saiyan but a kind of unpure version, where the only Legendary Super Saiyan we see is Broly. This Legendary Super Saiyan is based on some kind of magic/preselection of sorts where it would already be in the cards that Broly would turn into the Legendary Super Saiyan at birth, due to his wierdly enormously power level at 10000 as an infant - he was the guy the legend was talking about... not Goku or anyone els of the Saiyan race.

If we ignore DBGT, which many would call non-cannon, then the other theory (and mine aswell), is that a SSJ is not something mystical, legendary, magic or anything of those sotrs, its simply a technique thats very difficult to learn, and due to the very, very few saiyans who learned to do it, the story became legend. theres no doubt that Goku (as well as the other saiyans on earth) are very different from out typical saiyan we see in flashbacks or the likes of Raditz, Nappa and eairly Vegeta, because of this Goku and CO. may have had a much better starting point to learn how to do this technique.

Look at it this way: In the legend of the first SSJ, its known that he was the only one (at the time at least) and that he quickly became a martyr, he only wanted to gain power, so most cleary he wanted to keep his new learned technique for himself. Goku on the other hand was very different and spread his knowledge.

On another note, i personally think the whole ''you need a clear heart'' is BS, its about tremendous physical and mental training and pain.

Now im personally fan of the other SSJ versions (1,2,3... 4 is okay i guess), i think that its just are a better control of the standard SSJ technique. Now one thing i hate is how uncreative Akira was with the names.. ''LOL. imma call it Super Saiyan 2 and 3.. trololol''... thats so god damn stupid. Why not call it ''Divine Saiyan'', ''Prime Saiyan'', ''Golden Saiyan'' or something.

Like first Goku goes Super Saiyan, then learns to go to Super Saiyan Prime, then Golden Saiyan and then Supreme Saiyan or something, meh i dont know, but it surely sounds better than just going Super Saiyan 3.

#18 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

Actually, in the episode of Bardock, Bardock becomes the so called Legendary Super Sayian that was talked about in legends and myths throughout Sayian history (I dont want to be a spoiler so Im not gonna tell how this happens)

So my guess its a genetical potential that all Sayians and therefore saiyan/ *insert species* hybrids have, but you need a crazy ammount of training and will to do it. Most Sayians turned became Super on Earth, where the Sayian were completly different from the ones on Planet Vegeta

(my personal guess is that you need some kind of "humanity" if you want to activate it, and since Sayians were a ruthless warrior race, only the few sayian survivors who got to earth and gained a different perspective on emotions were able to do it - Goku, being raised as an human from the start did it first than Vegeta for instance, and their kids did it even sooner - Bardock only did it [[ again huge spoiler]]] after fighting Freeza in defense of Goku's life and spending some time with the Plant aliens and seeing the kid get beat up)

#19 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy said:

Actually, in the episode of Bardock, Bardock becomes the so called Legendary Super Sayian that was talked about in legends and myths throughout Sayian history (I dont want to be a spoiler so Im not gonna tell how this happens)

So my guess its a genetical potential that all Sayians and therefore saiyan/ *insert species* hybrids have, but you need a crazy ammount of training and will to do it. Most Sayians turned became Super on Earth, where the Sayian were completly different from the ones on Planet Vegeta

(my personal guess is that you need some kind of "humanity" if you want to activate it, and since Sayians were a ruthless warrior race, only the few sayian survivors who got to earth and gained a different perspective on emotions were able to do it - Goku, being raised as an human from the start did it first than Vegeta for instance, and their kids did it even sooner - Bardock only did it [[ again huge spoiler]]] after fighting Freeza in defense of Goku's life and spending some time with the Plant aliens and seeing the kid get beat up)

Bardock wasn't the Legendary Super Sayian. It never implied he was at least, he was sent into the past and becomes a Super Sayain. But as Vegeta said the Legendary Super Sayian was consumed by his own power and we don't precisely know what time period was sent back to(but know he destroyed the original sayian homeworld), unless it mentioned he was sent back 1,000 years into the past and just completely missed it. So considering it seemed Bardock was in control of his transformation, it seems illogical to assume him to be the Legendary Super Sayian.

But your right about it requiring an emotional trigger.

#20 Posted by Jorgevy (5114 posts) - - Show Bio

@nightwing91:

OH yeah totally forgot about what Vegeta said, the whole destroying planet thing, consuming itself.

But I still think that Bardock's travel might have something to do with the Super Sayian legend, although not directly

#21 Posted by nightwing91 (3912 posts) - - Show Bio

@Jorgevy: Possibly but due to the limited material from the manga and anime. We can't make that assumption without further evidence. The way I see it, it doesn't currently fit.

#22 Edited by Rabbitearsblog (5947 posts) - - Show Bio

Yeah, when I first saw the show, I wondered about why is it that all the other saiyans have to become super when it was stated at the beginning of the show that Goku was the legendary super saiyan.  But after reading about how Akira Toriyama wanted the show to end at Goku defeating Frieza, that does make a lot of sense about why the other saiyans got power ups all of a sudden.  However, while I also think that Goku should be the only saiyan who can go super, I also think that Gohan could go super saiyan too since he is Goku's son and he would be able to inherit that aspect from Goku. I also didn't really mind Vegeta being super saiyan because it really helped developed his character much further.

#23 Posted by ReVamp (22865 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Goku obviously, Vegeta as well and Gohan being able to do it too. I'd have done it different with Gohan, but oh well.

#24 Posted by Aiden Cross (15575 posts) - - Show Bio

I liked Goku and Vegeta as supers. But I think Gohan should've fought cell in normal form and then gone Mystic instead of ssj2. Would've made more sense with him being a cross between human and saiyan. And little Goten and Trunks should never have been ssj in my opinion...

#25 Posted by Shanana (53171 posts) - - Show Bio

@Aiden Cross said:

I liked Goku and Vegeta as supers. But I think Gohan should've fought cell in normal form and then gone Mystic instead of ssj2. Would've made more sense with him being a cross between human and saiyan. And little Goten and Trunks should never have been ssj in my opinion...

This!

#26 Posted by Kesho_Ronin (209 posts) - - Show Bio

Anybody knows something about Dragon Ball SSSS?

#27 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

@Kesho_Ronin: Is it that considered a fan creation and therefore officially not cannon. a new character who came to their world from an arcade like kid chameleon.

#28 Posted by Hazlenaut (1960 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheCrowbar: pan was establish as an earthling so no blond pan.

#29 Posted by evilvegeta74 (4530 posts) - - Show Bio

@Mina319: That's not true Raditz ,Nappa , Vegita's brother, and Pan did not become Super Saiyans! There are many more including Broly's dad and all of the Saiyans on planet Vegeta including Goku's dad.

#30 Edited by brainstorm01 (1461 posts) - - Show Bio

maybe they can introduce another super powerful transformation like''ultimate saiyan'' or ''epic saiyan''

#31 Posted by PurpleD7 (1 posts) - - Show Bio

i would like to say i am huge fan of DBZ,

my theory is that Bardock having been sent into the past and turned super saiyan left to find the saiyan racea and join them. if this is true then he would have been the original king of saiyans, the king thing is a distinct possibility. he could also have been the Great Grand daddy of all saiyans. he would have helped them cross the dessert and take over the tuffles territory as vegeta specified. this would also explain the legend saying the super saiyan kept the powers to himself. that or he grew old enough to pass the legend down to king vegeta's father. as for the super saiyans, the only one i hated and thought should not have existed was the Ultra Saiyan Jin. the list would have been more like:

Oozaru

Super saiyan

Super Saiyan 2

SSJ3

SSJ OOzaru and SSJ4

other saiyans included would be the Mystic super saiyan, any future ssj sticking to ssj3 speeds and strength. i would fave all future saiyans much faster than the ssj3. i would have made the ssj4 as fast as gogeta's versions added a Vegito ssj4 for comparison. maybe gotenk's The Legendary Super Saiyan Broly. he would continue to be a problem in the series due to his unlimited powers. i would change the God Saiyan to a golden furred version of ssj4 slight hair change maybe longer and the muscles increase, he gets taller and bigger to compensate for the enormous levels of powers he has.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.