Bro'Dee Walker was a strong, faithful believer in his planet's version of an all-powerful deity. He had a father as well as a wife and children. His life on Astonia succumbed to turmoil due to the sun dying and the planet along with it. He had a plan to find God's "Messiah" at the top of Mount Helious. Saint Walker left with his family to reach the top of Mount Helious. It was a hard and scorching trip and while on the journey each member of his family perished due to various causes. After nine days of pain and dehydration, Saint Walker finally reached the top to find no one there - only a slab of stone. He screamed at God, close to losing all hope. At that moment, a storm broke out and the water sliding off the monolith gave off his reflection. Realizing this meant he was to be the one to save his people, Walker descended from Mount Helious and started preaching to the Astonians, eventually calming them and leading them with his hope for a future for Astonia. After he made it, the sun spontaneously grew younger and a Blue Power Ring found him. It chose Saint Walker as the first of the Blue Lantern Corps member, given his ability to instil great hope in others.
One of the dominant themes of the buildup to the DC Comics wide crossover event Blackest Night was the establishment of numerous new Lantern Corps bearing different coloured allegiances based on the emotional role which the Corps identified itself with. New members were required for each of these Corps and Saint Walker was thus created as one of the most easily identifiable members of the Blue Lantern Corps.
As a mostly secondary character and relatively recently introduced character as well, Saint Walker has little opportunity to experience a significant amount of character development. Furthermore, one of the defining aspects of membership in the Blue Lantern Corps is an absolute belief in hope, thus its members are prone not to change very as characters because of their belief system.
Major Story Arcs
When the Guardians had sent Sinestro to Korugar to face his final judgment and execution with a detachment of Green Lanterns, the party was ambushed. First, by members of the Sinestro Corps and, later, by Atrocitus and his Red Lanterns. As Hal Jordan, suffering from one of the Red Lanterns' assaults, is floating in space with his shield failing, the power level of his ring begins steadily rising. Just as it reaches an unprecedented 200%, we see the source of this power. Saint Walker, the first member of the Blue Lantern Corps, arrived to aid in the recapture of Sinestro and defeat of Atrocitus. He explains that he is the first of many and that he has been sent by Ganthet, who believes they will need Sinestro when the time comes, as he is crucial in stopping the power of the Black.
Saint Walker introduces himself as the Blue Lantern of Sector 1 and the first of his Corps. When Hal confronted him about his ring's strange reaction, he explained how his ring was capable of adding to Jordan's ring's power as long as he hoped for his well being. Kilowog and John Stewart launched an assault on Saint Walker, both still under the red ring's influence. Protecting himself, he moved to douse the flames affecting them, giving John a vision of Hope to help him. He also used his ring to free the other surviving Lanterns from the residual affects as well. When Salaak attempted to question him, he gathered Jordan in his aura and fled the system.
Taking Hal to the Blue Lantern planet Odym, in the Polaris system, he showed him the blue power battery and then took him to see Ganthet and Sayd. He explained to Jordan about the selection process of his corps and also how their rings work. Saint waited while Ganthet and Jordan talked, and led him towards Sinestro when they were finished. As they traveled, Saint talked to Jordan about his feelings on the Corps, as well as his desire for back up. When they came across a dying sun, Jordan was unable to call for help because of the interference caused by the blue rings, but it was unnecessary. Working with new corps member, Warth, Saint Walker was able to reignite the dying sun, and revert it to it's status as a young blue star. When Jordan asked why he was revealing all of this to him, Saint Walker explained that it was in accordance with Ganthet's wishes. Ganthet wanted Jordan to understand the workings of their corps, because he intended Hal Jordan to be their leader.
Hal went ahead of Warth and Saint Walker and arrived on Ysmault before them. Hal saw Sinestro and was ambushed by the Red Lanterns. Due to the red Light of Rage, Hal's power levels severely dropped. Hal was then held captive along with Sinestro. Hal saw his friend and former Green Lantern, Laira, corrupted into becoming a Red Lantern. The Sinestro Corps then arrived to save Sinestro from the Red Lanterns and a conflict ensued. As they fought, Warth and Saint Walker arrived and charged up Hal's ring again. Hal was attacked by Laira and was close to calming her when Sinestro killed Laira. Hal finally unleashed all his anger and hate towards Sinestro and was close to killing his former mentor. However, Laira's red power ring sensed Hal's rage and selected him as her replacement. Atrocitus then welcomed Jordan into the Red Lantern Corps. As the Blue Lanterns rely on Green Lanterns to access the blue ring's full potential, Saint Walker and Warth were drained of all of their energy. Saint Walker would not despair, however, and slipped his own ring onto Hal's finger which had the effect of destroying the red ring completely, reversing the effect it had on Jordan. Hal then became a hybrid Lantern of the Blue and Green Lights and, together, they were able to defeat the Red Lanterns.
Later on, while regrouping on Odym with new Blue Lantern recruits Brother Hymn and Sister Sercy, Larfleeze and his Orange Lantern Corps attacked. Larfleeze had previously dealt with Hal Jordan in his hybrid Lantern state and now desperately desired a blue power ring of his own. Unwilling to give him one, the Blue Lantern Corps of Hope entered the fray against the Orange Lanterns of Avarice.
On Odym, the blue lanterns are losing the battle. Their rings came back on, wondering who answered their prayers. Hal Jordan, Carol Ferris, Sinestro, and Indigo-1 arrive. then suddenly the orange lanterns disappear from Odym to assist Larfleeze on Okaara. during that time Larfleeze knocked Atrocitus who was trying to take Larfleeze's battery. Walker, Hal, Carol, Sinestro, and Indigo-1 appear on Okaara to recruit Atrocitus and Larfleeze. After they destroyed all of the Black Lanterns on Okaara, Atrocitus fights the group. Larfleeze then reveals to the rainbow rodeo that the guardians told him about Odym in an attempt to extinguish the blue light. Atrocitus wakes up and attacks the group again. Suddenly an image of Damage being killed by Black Lantern Jean Loring reveals that that the black power rings are at 100%. Indigo-1 transports them to Ryut, where Atrocitus is yelling at Sayd and Ganthet about how their Manhunters came and destroyed Ysmault.. Saint walker reached out to him and calmed him down enough to join the Rainbow Rodeo. Larfleeze also agreed to join the team if he gets his own guardian. In turn Sayd agreed to pledge her everlasting servitude to him if he agreed to join them.
In Justice League of America issue 55 Saint Walker was helping the JLA fight off Doomsday in the area where New Krypton was. Batman called Starman for help and told him to get out there and help in the fight. Starman was knocked out by Doomsday and was saved by Saint Walker's blue ring. The two of them then fight off Doomsday. Saint Walker asks Starman how fast he can fly. Saint Walker and the new Batman made it to the battle in space on the moon to help out the Justice League of America to fight Eclipso and his mind control members of the JLA. Saint Walker powers are diffrent from the Green Lanterns Ring's after the first round did not last Batman, Congorilla, Starman, Donna Troy and Saint Walker huddle togather and put it out for one last fight and they where captured by Obesidern who blacked them all out with his powers.
Saint Walkers is currently part of the New Guardians in Green Lantern: New Guardians.
Powers and Abilities
Saint Walker wields a Blue Lantern power ring, which has many unique qualities to it. A Blue Lantern can charge or drain other corps' power rings to the extent of either charging a ring to twice its capacity or draining all the power out of a ring. The Blue Lantern can also negate the effects of a Red Lantern. The light constructs of Blue Lanterns are not based on the wielder's imagination, but rather based off the emotional and psychological state of the intended target. Blue power rings also have no need to recharge using a Power Battery as the power rings draw their power from the collective hope in the universe. The power ring of a Blue Lantern has only one known weakness. Without a Green Lantern power ring nearby, the user can only fly and have a protective aura and cannot access the full power of the blue power ring.
Saint Walker is the first bearer of a Blue Lantern Ring and one of the most powerful of the Corps. The abilities the ring grants him are:
Blue Lantern Ring Abilities
- Animating: A Blue Lantern can will things to move how he wants.
- Artificial Intelligence: Every ring has a connection to the Main Battery on Odym, which taps into an artificial intelligence. It acts as an "on-board computer," telling the wearer what they need to know. It can either respond out loud, or silently directly to the wearer's mind. The AI contains a large database of information that may be crucial to a Lantern's success. The ring also translates nearly every language to and from the wearer (though they have difficulty translating profanity), which is why the Corps can communicate with each other. When the bearer of a Blue Lantern ring dies, the ring will seek out a suitable replacement for their sector. The AI can be used to play a holographic playback sequence complete with colors across the spectrum based on information in memory banks. The ring can dictate when to pause or stop the playback should an interruption arise where the Lanterns undivided attention is needed. The AI can also alert the wielder of incoming threats or of attempts to manipulate the wielders construct by an outside party.
- Communicator: The ring can act as a personal communicator between Lanterns. They have also been seen connected to telephones.
- Costumes: The wearer of the ring may create any costume they choose, based on their personal preferences, whenever they choose. The ring projects the costume over any clothes already worn at the time. It is unknown if the Blue Lanterns have any protocol over costume choices though probably not has long as they display the Blue Lantern symbol.
- Energy Projection: The rings can also project beams, form protective bubbles and force fields, and fire destructive blasts. For Blue Lanterns to be effective they require a nearby Green Lantern.
- Energy Constructs: The constructs of a Blue Lantern are often not directly created by the Lantern himself/herself and are often a representation of the hope the target genuinely feels. Example when used against John Stewart he say his dead wife Katma Tui and when used against Arkillo he saw his former leader Sinestro. Blue Lanterns are capable of using more traditional constructs in the presence of a Green Lantern.
- Energy Charging: The Blue ring can charge any other powering to twice its usual capacity if the Blue Lantern wishes it.
- Energy Draining: The Blue Lantern Ring can negativly impact the rings on the opposite side of the spectrum. Sinestro Corps powers steadily drain, Blue Rings can counter the negative aspects of the red power ring, and the blue ring and quench the hunger of the orange light of avarice.
- Flight: The ring allows the wearer to fly in atmosphere or in space, and can achieve incredible speeds, moving from planet to planet in a matter of hours.
- Hope Supplement: A Blue lanterns ring can take the hope of many other beings to amplify its own abilities. Saint Walker and Warth were able to use a planet size population to turn back a dying sun 8.6 billion years to save the planet from being swallowed into a supernova.
- Invisibility: The ring can make the wearer or anything else invisible..
- Mirages: The Ring can create mirages/illusions.
- Phasing: The ring allows the user to go through walls. This ability however required great concentration on the bearer of the ring
- Recharging: The rings need to be recharged by means of a Power Battery. Other large sources of power may be used to recharge a power ring, however effectiveness may vary.
- Ring Duplication: Each ring can duplicate itself, creating a second ring which may be given to another as a backup, for protection, or to help the lantern in times of great need. This duplicate ring is exactly like a normal ring.
- Temperature Control: The Ring can increase or decrease the temperature of anything, even something as large as stars, or even create bubbles of intense heat or cold, even down to Absolute Zero. This could be seen in the recent Sinestro Corps War when Sallak used his ring to incase an enemy in a force bubble an incinerate him.
- Electro-magnetic scanning: The ring can allow(through the use of x rays) the user to see through walls, without the people on the other side knowing. it can also scan along the Electromagnetic spectrum.
- Wormhole/Warps: The ring can open wormholes to cut down on distance.
- Healing: A wielder can command a ring to heal him/her/itself of any injures incurred. It can also heal others. a Blue Lantern can regrow lost body parts shown when Saint Walker regrew Arkillo's tongue.
- Pocket dimension: Within the ring is a pocket dimension which can altered to the wielders specification. It can be used to contain opponents.
- Sub-routines: The power rings have inner programmings or mechanisms which can executed without the users permission. One such sub-routine is the autoshield. This shield automatically protects a wielder from external harm and has been proven to be capable of protecting the wielder from planetary level attacks.
- Blue Lantern Status: Active
- Space Sector: 1
- GLC Partner(s): presumably Hal Jordan
- Homeworld: Astonia, also known as Pacredo
- Predecessor: none
- Successor: n/a
Green Lantern: The Animated Series
Saint Walker appeared in Episode 6, Lost Planet, of Green Lantern: The animated Series.
A hermit living on Mogo, without a power ring, Walker noted the planet's nature of trapping evil doers on its surface. He is confronted by Razer, who attacks him, however he easily dodged the red lantern's attacks and defeats him, before giving him the green ring that would later become Mogo's. When he is offered a green lantern ring, he comments that he is destined for another path, hinting at the blue lantern corps.
The Next time you see him is in the Season 1 finale where Walker climbs up a mountain on Mogo who says that the only way to defeat the Red Lanterns is up there. When he reaches up their Walker doesn't understand and asks if Mogo believes there is no hope. To this Walker says he will always believe in hope and then a Blue Power Ring comes to him and he becomes the first Blue Lantern in the Universe. He is last seen working with Mogo to aid Kilowog in fighting the Red Lantern Army and the 3 together manage to win the battle.
In the episode "Blast Radius", Laurel's investigation into Sebastian Blood leads her to a St. Walker's Hospital, a mental institution where he has been keeping his aunt, Maya Resik. It also is used as a location in the following episode "Blind Spot" when Sebastian goes to visit his mother to see what she told Laurel.