Follow

Sage

Character » Sage appears in 1345 issues.

Sage is a mutant with mental abilities and a computer-like mind capable of infinite recall. She has been a member of the Hellfire Club, X-Men, Excalibur and the Exiles.

Why isn't Sage the greatest H2H fighter in the Marvel Universe?

Essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Essex

Sage has a computer kinetic brain, what means her mins works faster than a computer, can   instantly recall specific information with incredible speed and accuracy,  s he's able to store everything that she experiences in a photographic memory and retrieve it immediately, and   is able to track the probability of an event by piecing together stored data. She also is a Cyverpath. 

So theoretically she should be able to download and store all martial arts knowledge that exists-just like Neo in Matrix. She should be able to analyse an opponent and fight, while fighting, and come up with the perfect plan to beat anyone. In some ways like an upgrade version of Taskmaster and Lobo (the finding an opponents weaknesses part). 

Can s.o. explain to me why she isn't the human weapon I expect her to be?

Outside_85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 39

User Lists: 1

#2  Edited By Outside_85

Because reading it from a book or a harddrive is not the same as pulling it off with your own hands and feet.

Iron_Turtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Iron_Turtle

^ What he said. 
    Also the actual physical side of combat requires a decent level of physical durability. And while she's in "Peak physical condition". Her peak isn't the same as say Captain America's peak.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#4  Edited By SC  Moderator

Well you sort of answer your own question with the theoretically part. We can either assume she has a limit to such abilities and actions (which makes sense, since their are certain problems one would encounter with downloading that much), or that the writer is downplaying her abilities, or their own writing for the sake of a perceive readership level. The comic fan. Why be accurate when you can be entertaining.  

Why isn't Rogue the greatest H2h fighter? She can absorb Sage, Cypher, Taskmaster, Domino, Longshot, Shang Chi, Elektra, Northstar and Colossus. Ouch lol 

I agree it would be nice if Sage's potential could be recognize more though too. Wall doesn't go well with her eyes. 

Essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By Essex

Marvel Wikia: " Sage is skilled in the martial arts, and is a formidable hand-to-hand combatant thanks to her having complete conscious control over her own body

So she already has the perfect foundation - so it wouldn't be so far to go. By the way, Taskmaster neither is peak human but he's up there with the greats (mostly by watching video footage). 

ps: her mind has no storage limits...at least thats what I read

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By warlock360

Well sometimes your skill can't make up for brute force, see hulk.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By SC  Moderator

I don't read that part about the limits at all lol, the foundation for your basis for example doesn't support that (if its the bolded parts) but thats cool, we all read into things different, I tend to think the comics will reflect mine. 

Essex

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By Essex

only thing i'm saying is the writers are inconsequent. you have a skilled h2h fighter, underline this fact with the  complete conscious control-part, and add a computer mind that beats every computer on the planet in speed and storage limits... 

to me that sounds like a perfected Taskmaster...but in the end the writers tread her differently. and don't forget the telepathic abilities (Mr X comes to mind)

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

Inconsistent? All writers that have ever been are, I agree with you, but like you say, Sage is not the only character like that. What about characters like Amazo, Rogue, Synch, Hope, etc etc, its just something we have to accept. (or at least something I accept)

vance_astro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By vance_astro  Moderator

Because she would be unstoppable and then different writers will have to nerf her down.Marvel doesn't know how to handle martial arts characters anymore and to be honest I don't think they ever did.They give characters stuff like photographic reflexes,knowledge of all martial arts styles ever created,mimicking abilities and ability absorption,mind reading,the massive use of chi techniques and then when it comes time for them to use the MA abilities they've acquired..their output is pathetic or nowhere near what it should be.How about not setting such ridiculous standards first? When Taskmaster was beating up on the Avengers he was just a great villain but as soon as he starts getting owned by people like Deadpool,Moon Knight,& Cage...now he has a problem with cowardice and then in Siege they completely acted like none of that happened.How can a guy who was damn near crying against Moon Knight because he was afraid fight Thor,and then Cap and Bucky at the same time with no issue?

Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 3

#11  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I like Sage, I think she has lots of potential power-wise. (:

But yeah, she can store the information, but her powers aren't  photographic reflexes. So she wouldn't be able to pull of a perfect copy of a combat technique like Taskmaster, but I bet she'd do it pretty good. 
    Avatar image for deactivated-5a162dd41dd64
    deactivated-5a162dd41dd64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 100

User Lists: 6

@Essex: You know how there's books out there about baseball and soccer and pretty much any other physical activity ever? Hate to break it to you, but all those major-league athletes don't spend their time cracking the books in order to get good.
    You have the time to type out an amazingly eloquent point, and yet you can't type 'some one'? That really doesn't need to be shortened, dude.
    weaponmaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By weaponmaster

Because for one she is named after a spice and/or a wise person/ghandi type. That doesn't scream bad a@@ kung fu fighter. Also someone reading and knowing every martial arts move that ever existed doesn't make thema great fighter, it takes years of experience and training. It takes many hours of practice to achieve instantanous muscle memory on moves and techniques  and to develop power and speed which are what make a great fighter great.
    PuckPuck

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By PuckPuck

There's one comic where her abilities to fight are likened to Wolverines at a skill level.

And I remember one issue where she just reads some guys martial moves due to processing speed and consequentially completely owns.

I'm too lazy to scan though. :P

PowerHerc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 11

#15  Edited By PowerHerc

Maybe it's because her body can't keep up with her mind.

Maybe it's because many other characters have more training, experience, skill and have won more fights.

Chesapeake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 6

#16  Edited By Chesapeake

It's time for her to come back. Where is she? Any X-book would be happy to have her..... come on!!!
    fesak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 3

#17  Edited By fesak  Moderator

Last time i saw her she had merged with the Panoptichron. Not many writers besides Claremont seems to want to use her.

pixelized

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#18  Edited By pixelized

@Chesapeake said:

It's time for her to come back. Where is she? Any X-book would be happy to have her..... come on!!!

Yeah, what Fesak said. At the end of New Exiles, she merged her body with their computer/system/thing.

tjizz350

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By tjizz350

I like this I was thinking the same thing. The thing about Sage is she is great in her own way. She can't be labeled as just a martial artist. Her greatest strength is finding the best possible way to defeat her opponent. Now that I think of it she is actually good they just need to show her h2h skill more. Like I said before she is more than a martial artist.

Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 15

#20  Edited By Mercy_

I miss Sage

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.