inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

It's been a few months since fans have gotten to read about the adventures of this very dynamic family, and the story has jumped ahead a few years. Alana, Marko, Hazel, Izabel, and Klara are all hiding out on Gardenia, where Hazel is a toddler, and everyone is laying real low, except for Alana who has become a stage actor.

Here's where this book truly shines. This is issue 19 and writer Brian K Vaughan pretty much hit the reset button on the book by thrusting it into the future a few years and moving the characters to a brand new location. Doing this makes this book pretty accessible to new readers and makes this book feel really fresh and new for those who have been reading since day one.

This issue is pretty much 20 pages of set-up, which is fine, in one aspect. If you're expecting the more dynamic storytelling BKV and artist Fiona Staples have been doing in this book, since issue one, you're not going to like the issue, since this story is really building towards something else within the family. The new direction, as long as that final page is any indication of where this arc is going, is interesting. It's different, but it works for the characters and feels organic.

Fiona Staples does what she does best: Tells a beautiful story, through art, filled with emotion and suspense. And there is a lot of emotion towards the end of this issue and Staples does a great job at putting that into the character's faces. The reader will feel what Alana and Marko feel. Staples continues to makes this book eye candy. Every page is utterly brilliant.

The Bad

The book jumps a few years into the future and it's left up to the reader to piece most of the puzzle together, which is fine because readers don't really need everything spelled out for them, but because the science fiction elements in this series can be a little unfamiliar, this issue has so many new concepts and elements and it can be a bit much to take in. Basically, what you're getting in this issue is a ton of set-up. It feels like reading the first issue to a new series.

There's no real connection between what's happening between Alana, Marko, and company, and the Robot Kingdom. It may be true the reader doesn't need a strong connection, but the opening doesn't bookend the issue nor does the opening lead into anything else.

The Verdict

SAGA returns, but it isn't with a bang because the direction of the book is a complete 180. The book has slowed down and very clearly focused on family and the family dynamic; however, when you look back at previous arcs, that's what this book has always been about. This is a great place for new readers to jump on, but the problem lies within the new concepts and elements being dumped on the reader. It's a lot to take in and BKV expects readers to understand everything. However, SAGA is still a brilliant book and a series more people should be reading.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

The end of this issue ripped my heart out.

kivatt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

@the_mast: That ending made me upset on many levels

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@the_mast: I know, right? Jesus! That's some straight up B*llsh*t. How can I continue reading now?

judasnixon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

Oh god that first page! I opened it up and I was like wait what is that.... Oh? Oh! Oh you can't show that in a comic!

TheUnN4med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No... this can't be happening!

The last page break my heart to a million tiny pieces!

Paste_Pot_Pete

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

TheUnN4med

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@paste_pot_pete: Sure you want to know?

The last page is an image of Marko and Alana cuddling with hazel between them. Above them is a legend "This is the story of how my parents split up".

ArchiZoom

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

I don't mind reading this kind of set up because it was brilliantly set up. As good as always, Fiona's the best!

akbogert

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 31

@the_mast said:

^this.

Oh god that first page! I opened it up and I was like wait what is that.... Oh? Oh! Oh you can't show that in a comic!

^this too, haha.

LyraFay

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 12

#11  Edited By LyraFay

@paste_pot_pete: Sure you want to know?

The last page is an image of Marko and Alana cuddling with hazel between them. Above them is a legend "This is the story of how my parents split up".

Now I wished I didn't look at that! (starts biting their nails). Is The Will still around?! Now I'm nervous.

Avatar image for jonny_anonymous
    Jonny_Anonymous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 32

#12  Edited By Jonny_Anonymous

@the_mast: I know, right? Jesus! That's some straight up B*llsh*t. How can I continue reading now?

No Caption Provided

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

WTF IS THIS!?!?!?!?!

BR_Havoc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

Damn that is depressing but the optimist in me feels they will split up to only be brought back together like so many other comic couples. Vaughan is smart and I think he knows that if you permetily spilt up the main characters, then the book will lose its most special dynamic. It will be done for drama that will have a payoff.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Netshyster
    InkInk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

No way this actually happens. It has to be a different meaning like they split up to get people off there tracks. If it does happen then the first 18 issues and its subplot with the book was a waste of time.

Avatar image for fallschirmjager
    Fallschirmjager

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

User Lists: 16

#17  Edited By Fallschirmjager

Seriously though. Alana and Marko have some of the most amazing chemistry I've ever seen in a comic. Completely blows away Yorick and 335

DONT DO IT :(

(and if its a bait and switch, you got me hard)

Avatar image for pperspectiveandreality
    Pperspectiveandreality

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 5

@the_mast said:

mine as well.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.