inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 324

User Lists: 12

Edited By inferiorego  Staff

The Good

Marko, Alana, Hazel, Izabel, and Klara head to Quietus to see Oswald Heist. Meanwhile, on another planet, Gwendolyn, Sophie AKA Slave Girl, and The Will try to figure out where to go next, while The Will grows some romantic feelings for Gwendolyn.

What's so great about SAGA as a series, and this issue in particular, is that it's always moving the story line forward, but building on itself. We're introduced to Alana's step-mother in this issue, by way of Upsher and Doff, the journalists, whom we've seen in earlier issues. Instead of Alana telling her cohorts her history, we get to see her step-mother explain where she came from and why she made the decision to get into the military. It's nice to see the other side of the story, and this scene gives the reader a better insight into what makes Alana the person she is now.

Dag nabit, writer Brian K Vaughan does some fantastic things with The Will, Gwendolyn, and The Stalk in this issue. Their scene is fantastic, and I love the relationship growing between them. In addition, Sophie, once known as Slave Girl, is also becoming a fantastic supporting character to this series. The reader is starting to see the child side of her finally come out, and she's developing a close relationship with Lying Cat now. These "villains" are portrayed as real people within this book, not just something the protagonist has to fight. And frankly, they walk the fine line between hero and villain.

The last issue was a bit of a let down. It felt a bit flat, which made things worse since there was a break in the series. Issue #14 gets this book right back on track by seamlessly weaving together all these incredibly fascinating story lines. The jump between stories feels natural and the transitions are smooth.

Once again, Fiona Staple delivers some knock out art in this issue. The facial expressions and body language of each of the characters are fantastic. They all fit the scenes and are never out of character. In one scene in particular, Klara sits very upright and straight but with her legs opened a bit. It gives off the feeling that this character is very prim and proper but has a warrior inside and she's not someone to mess with.

The Bad

One bad thing about this is that this issue, along with the last, takes place before issue #12. It's a tad confusing, and I'm not a fan of the jumping back in time for the #13 and #14. I'm assuming this will actually read a bit better, out of order, after #15 comes out.

The Verdict

SAGA is back on track! The story has a nice progression, and the reader is introduced to more characters that really add a lot to this world. BKV and Staples, month after month, add to this brilliant and expansive world with a compelling story and characters that are extremely cool and just as detailed as the incredibly detailed world around them. While some of the concepts here may be a bit out there and crazy, it still all weirdly fits into this world and this book. SAGA continues to be the best science-fiction/fantasy book on the shelves. While this may not be a great jumping on point (go buy the first two trades!), I still highly recommend this issue and series.

EvilPenguin543

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

Saga is awesome. The only people who think otherwise are those who haven't read it yet.

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

Last month I couldn't wait for DC to start up villains month. After week one of this month I've found myself looking forward to great Indy books like these more than the Marvel or DC stuff I've been following for years.

CommanderShiro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

Saga is fantastic. Can't wait to read this.

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By danhimself
    _Marc_74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 0

ive just finished trade 1 and hooked and ready for trade 2

and to think i waited till late 30's to start reading comics. maybe at the right time when comics grew up a bit

:)

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 inferiorego  Staff
    Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@hecktate: What the hell is 'Indy' and why does everyone use it to designate the alternative and non-mainstream?

inferiorego

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 inferiorego  Staff

@hecktate: What the hell is 'Indy' and why does everyone use it to designate the alternative and non-mainstream?

indy=independent

It's now used to describe books that aren't Marvel and DC.

Netshyster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@inferiorego:

Thank you for that, now the word at least makes sense.

jwalser3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

The universe is so god damn amazing!

HeckTate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

User Lists: 7

@inferiorego: Right, so these are independent not just because they're not Marvel and DC, but because they're actually creator owned. Marvel and DC on the other hand, have full creative control over anything they produce. So they can kill your characters, or market them to kids, or merchandise the hell out of them all without your consent.

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

"SAGA is back on track!" Get with it Mat, it never left the tracks.

Am i the only one that thinks something bad is going to happen to Sophie and Lying Cat D:

danhimself

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@danhimself: I think I will. How bout you?

I'm thinking about it....If I can find the time and energy to sit down and do it right

hufnagel0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By hufnagel0

@mucklefluga: Don't you friggin say that! Haha. Their moment this issue was incredibly sweet.

I heard they're getting their own spin-off series after The Will dies. (I'm hoping if I start a rumor like this, it might get back to BKV and he'll dig the idea.)

longbowhunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 1

I'm glad to see Fiona Staples facial expressions get mentioned in the review. That's probably my favorite thing about this book. Only person I've seen do facial expressions that convey that much emotion is Terry Moore.

Dabee

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Saga is awesome. The only people who think otherwise are those who haven't read it yet.

Or those that are simply lying.

No Caption Provided

jdp180

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jdp180

@_marc_74 said:

ive just finished trade 1 and hooked and ready for trade 2

and to think i waited till late 30's to start reading comics. maybe at the right time when comics grew up a bit

:)

I didnt start until I was in my 30s too.

The Mast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: -1

User Lists: 2

#19  Edited By The Mast

That bit where Lying Cat contradicts Sophie saying she's worthless.

My heart.

owie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#20 owie  Moderator

The last issue was a bit of a let down. It felt a bit flat, which made things worse since there was a break in the series. Issue #14 gets this book right back on track by seamlessly weaving together all these incredibly fascinating story lines. The jump between stories feels natural and the transitions are smooth.

I totally agree. I was let down last issue--it wasn't bad, just not as good as usual. But this issue was right back on top. Very nice character moments with grandma and Sophie and others. And I loved Fiona's rendering of Alana's mom!

Mucklefluga

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 5

#21  Edited By Mucklefluga

@mucklefluga: Don't you friggin say that! Haha. Their moment this issue was incredibly sweet.

I heard they're getting their own spin-off series after The Will dies. (I'm hoping if I start a rumor like this, it might get back to BKV and he'll dig the idea.)

The Will will (ha, will will) never die!!!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.