Sabretooth: Cat?

#1 Posted by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey, I always wondered...is Sabretooth supposed to be part cat? Or something?

Afterall, the name Sabretooth sounds a lot like Sabretooth Tiger....and in the Wolverine Movie (which, I know, was not exactly true to the comics) Sabretooth runs up this building like a cat up a tree.

I haven't read much of him in comics, just wondering if anyone can confirm this.

#2 Posted by War Killer (20290 posts) - - Show Bio

From what I've read, I think he's supposed to be like a sabertooth tiger

#3 Edited by GERALD (165 posts) - - Show Bio

ahh...

So he's got some ancient giant cat in him. That's pretty sick.

#4 Edited by notaclue777 (10 posts) - - Show Bio

In wolverine origins, he is supposed to be descended from wolves.  Personally, I think his lineage came from big cats, like a lion or something.  His claws don't look like they are from a wolf because wolves can't retract nails, like cats can. So I am going with big cats.

#5 Posted by viragom (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it's hard to say whether he is "part cat", or whether his mutant ability just resembles that of a cat (healing factor aside), PARTICULARLY if you take into account the Wolverine: Evolution arc (which just confuses matters even more). I think the fact that Sasquatch was lumped in with the mutants that are supposedly descended from wolves indicates that not a lot of thought went into that theory, and hopefully we can disregard it... So yes, Sabretooth has claws, heightened senses, sharp teeth and is very agile like a cat, or a sabretooth tiger like his namesake, but he's not neccessarily somehow descended from one, considering he's a mutant. 
There's plenty of comics dealing with what happened once Creed's powers started to manifest and as far as I know there's nothing strange going on (like in the old Wolverine comics where Logan was actually raised by wolverines...) to imply that his cat-like features are anything more then a mutation.

#6 Posted by Taylove (91 posts) - - Show Bio

Sabretooth is he's namesake. Marvel is doing to much confuse themself's an messing good character's up.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.