how I'd do a Sabretooth movie

#1 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

First I'd keep the guy from Wolverine cause I firmly believe if he'd had a decent script and some blonde hair dye he'd have been amazing as it stands he was the only good thing about that movie 
Second I'd scrap any connection to that movie and reboot the character Wolverine could be mentioned but not featured at least in the first one and they definitely wouldn't be brothers 
This wouldn't be an origin movie, I'd have him already set up as a professional killer and it'd be clear from the start that despite being the protagonist he is not a hero he just gets put in a situation where he has to fight someone worse, I'd make the antagonist Greydon Creed because I think it'd be interesting seeing that screwed up father/son dynamic. Think about it the son of a mutant leading a mutant hating organization thats just full of possibilities in a movie.  
Basic plot- Greydon has become a very public figure and people have started digging up his past so he worries that his parentage will be discovered so he hires the Reavers to hunt down and kill Sabretooth which naturally pisses him off  
This movie would have to be rated R as it'd be really brutal    

#2 Posted by virgin4life (428 posts) - - Show Bio

the hood aint checkin for sabretooth, bro

#3 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@virgin4life: I know plenty of people who'd watch a Sabretooth movie, it doesn't always have to be about the hero 
#4 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio

A Sabretooth movie should be one of those gory, straight to DVD movies that stars a wrestler as the main guy.....

#5 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Burn: No you could do a good movie with him as the star, especially with Greydon Creed as the villain its the classic father/son conflict amped to 11. Think about it Greydon runs probably the biggest anti-mutant group around and Victor is exactly what people think of when they think of an evil mutant hell you could even give Sabretooth some inner conflict as to whether or not he's actually willing to kill his own son.  
#6 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Let me first say I am a huge fan of Sabretooth.

Secondly though, a movie wouldn't work. Sabretooth is a villain, always is, in fact he's not even one of those villains you can sympathise with, due to the whole killing raping maiming thing he does. A Sabretooth movie also wouldn't work because we've been over saturised with Wolverine, and the similarities between those two would confuse the general audience. Another point is that in 'classic father/son conflict' is usually the father is the antagonist. The inner conflict would be very out of character for Sabretooth too. 
In fact if people watched a movie about a savage mutant killer being hunted down by the anti-mutant squad, they'd probably be thinking "Well, the anti-mutant squad should be hunting people like him down". 

The only way you could ever portray Sabretooth as likeable enough to carry a movie is if you changed the character alot. And what would you have when you gave Sabretooth some emotions and remorse? Wolverine...
#7 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Burn: See thats why we don't have many unique movies out there people refuse to open up to new possibilities, I just threw the inner conflict thing in for the people who need that crap. You could throw some other mutant characters in there to show how evil the FOH is make so people have the idea that the only thing that can bring them down is someone worse than them to bring them down, someone without morals. I've seen many good movies where the protagonist is unsympathetic in some cases down right evil but they aren't as big a threat as the people they're trying to take down which would basically be what this movie would be like  
#8 Posted by Chaos Burn (1787 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: No I get that, but I think that type of movie needs more of an anti-hero, the issue for me is just that Sabretooth has no morale qualities. If some cute innocent mutants came up to him and said "Mr Sabretooth we need your help coz your badass", then he'd probably say no. In fact I'd assume he'd try and eat them and rape them or both together. 

If they did it right, any character could have a good story in a movie, but I just don't see Sabretooth as lead role. Sorry.
#9 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@Chaos Burn: No the innocent mutants would be side characters what would motivate him to taking the FOH would be pure revenge for sending the Reavers to kill him saving the innocents wouldn't even be an issue for him 
#10 Posted by virgin4life (428 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@virgin4life: I know plenty of people who'd watch a Sabretooth movie, it doesn't always have to be about the hero 
your friends are geeks.. not regular people
#11 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@virgin4life: Actually I'm the only real geek in my circle of friends most of my buddies have never set foot inside a comic shop 
#12 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

anyone with a non condescending comment about this? 

#13 Posted by InnerVenom123 (29510 posts) - - Show Bio
@virgin4life said:
@joshmightbe said:
And you have a username entitled virgin4life. Please, troll better in the future. You're quite pathetic at it. 
#14 Posted by FadeToBlackBolt (23334 posts) - - Show Bio
@InnerVenom123 said:
@virgin4life said:
@joshmightbe said:
And you have a username entitled virgin4life. Please, troll better in the future. You're quite pathetic at it. 
I don't know how he hasn't been banned yet. It's ridiculous.
#15 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio

I could see this. In fact, it's very much like a regular movie and people will see anything. "Escape from New York/L.A." may not be good examples, but the premise is about the same. Take someone who is otherwise neglected in society, give them military training and the ferocity of an animal and good and bad things might happen depending.

#16 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: There is a long list of successful movie protagonist that get by on simply being less awful than what's going on around them
#17 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: I know. It doesn't redeem them in any sort of way, but it adds something else to see how they interact with people who are genuinely good and dependent on them with the current circumstances. But no kids, because they ruin movies.
#18 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: I definitely wouldn't put any kids in this just some innocent mutants who get stuck in the middle of the vendetta that the movie would really be about, and people always complain about movie versions of comic characters being out of character but think about it if the FOH sent a crew of cyborg assassins after the comic version of Sabretooth how do you think he would react?  
#19 Edited by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Not very well. As for dyeing his hair blonde, I never thought it mattered so much how characters look in film. Wolverine was extremely tall in the films and seemed to be out of character, but overall I enjoyed the portrayal, although Origins left me in a catatonic state when I left the theater. My girlfriend at the time wouldn't shut up about how the movie was exactly like the comics. I wanted to cheat on her so badly out of principle at that point.
I think anything can be made into a movie. It just depends on the structuring and actors, plus the mindset of the director.
#20 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: I hate when people say something could never be a movie I know people that were absolutely positive that Lord of the Rings could never be made into a good movie and it became 3 great ones  
#21 Posted by sesquipedalophobe (4786 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe: Pride & Prejudice turned out to be an even better movie. Their choice for Mr. Darcy was excellent. Unfortunately, I was the only guy in the theater.
#22 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio
@sesquipedalophobe: I can't do Jane Austin but I get your point
#23 Posted by joshmightbe (25021 posts) - - Show Bio

bump

#24 Posted by DonavanWolfMaster (136 posts) - - Show Bio
@joshmightbe said:
@sesquipedalophobe: I hate when people say something could never be a movie I know people that were absolutely positive that Lord of the Rings could never be made into a good movie and it became 3 great ones  
Yeah I'd totally Watch a Sabretooth movie, I hated the actor from the Wolverine movie though, He didn't look like Sabretooth..
 and so I didn't feel him to be sabretooth because they wrote them to be brothers it was like.... some weird depth on the dog logan character... more than a sabretooth, to me. So yeah good call on scrapping the origins background on sabretooth.
  I'd want a Big, Long haired (blonde), savage though not to over the top guy as sabretooth, the guy from the first x-men movie had the look perfect they should have wrote him in more detail I think. For the people that need an emotional attachment to show the slightest shred of humanity or whatever,  there is always  * Blink*  Sabretooth loves her. Why not use Blink?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.