Follow

Ryan Choi

Character » Ryan Choi appears in 192 issues.

Ryan Choi was a gifted student of Ray Palmer at Ivy University, and eventually took up the mantle of the Atom in his mentor's absence.

Was/Is Ryan Choi gay?

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#1  Edited By queenfrost_

http://gailsimone.tumblr.com/post/37970279249/shikamyluv-ryan-let-me-love-you-if-only-wed

A recent post from Gail Simone's tumblr makes think she had plans for him to perhaps explore his sexuality/come out had the series gone on...

For all those who don't want to/can't click the link:

No Caption Provided

gailsimone:

shikamyluv:

Ryan, let me love you

If only we’d had a few more issues…

I personally would have loved to of seen more gay characters in DC...I wonder with the reboot if they'll follow through. Probably not. This is DC after all...

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#2  Edited By arnoldoaad

I think Gail was kidding cause im pretty sure Ryan had a girlfriend

2 girlfriends if you count the retcon that Wallace did on Titans for pretty much having no idea who the hell was Ryan Choi

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#3  Edited By InnerVenom123

@arnoldoaad said:

2 girlfriends if you count the retcon that Wallace did on Titans for pretty much having no idea who the hell was Ryan Choi

Having a girlfriend doesn't undo possibly being gay. Lots of gay guys in the closet have girlfriends. Even have sex with girls. :P

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By arnoldoaad

@InnerVenom123 said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Having a girlfriend doesn't undo possibly being gay. Lots of gay guys in the closet have girlfriends. Even have sex with girls. :P

wouldnt that make him bisexual then?

either way i have read very little of him but i never got the impression that he might had been gay

InnerVenom123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#5  Edited By InnerVenom123

@arnoldoaad said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@arnoldoaad said:

either way i have read very little of him but i never got the impression that he might had been gay

No, it would make him a gay guy in denial. He'd be bisexual if he liked both. It could obviously go either way here, just saying.

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By arnoldoaad

I think you are reading too much into it I didnt look to me at all that he was Gay, and even if he was, why does it even matter now the series was cancelled years ago and Choi was killed also years ago fro practically no reason

Avatar image for avenging_x_bolt
    Avenging-X-Bolt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 140

#7  Edited By Avenging-X-Bolt

It sounds like humor but with Gail you never really know.

.@arnoldoaad said:

I think you are reading too much into it I didnt look to me at all that he was Gay, and even if he was, why does it even matter now the series was cancelled years ago and Choi was killed also years ago fro practically no reason

he's back in the New 52 so its possible that this could be explored more

arnoldoaad

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By arnoldoaad

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

well he is still not back officially but I doubt that DC makes him gay in the new universe

not that there is anything wrong with that

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#9  Edited By SC  Moderator

Think she was joking, Simone has been pretty upfront about her ideas and plans on altering characters sexual orientation so anything less than that to me would indicate a joke slash tease. Though in my head canon lots of DC/Marvel characters are secretly gay or bisexual, just makes it a more realistic place for me.

queenfrost_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 7

#10  Edited By queenfrost_

I dunno...Gail seemed keen to include more gay/bisexual/etc characters and it seemed odd that she picked NOW to joke about it of all times.

@arnoldoaad said:

@InnerVenom123 said:

@arnoldoaad said:

Wanda Sykes (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Wanda_Sykes) was married to a man for many years until she came out as a lesbian and is now with a female partner

Avatar image for kid_omega_prime
    Kid_Omega_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#11  Edited By Kid_Omega_Prime

@Avenging-X-Bolt said:

well he is still not back officially but I doubt that DC makes him gay in the new universe

not that there is anything wrong with that

They would probily make him gay. just like they did to allan scott.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.