Thoughts on Runaways?

• 53 results
#1 Posted by Chediablo (101 posts) - - Show Bio

So what do you think of this Marvel book?

Personally, I think it's been great. Though there are some things that I would change.

It's one of those books that doesn't feel that good when you're reading it, but as soon as an arc finishes, you get that warm tingly feeling inside. Like it was a great job.

What I would've changed:

Spoilers

a)

At the end of Runaways 1, Vaughan made it so that it seemed Nico and Karolina would end up together. But he backed down in Runaways 2, creating Xavin. Who has been so far, a terrible character.

I would have gone for it.

b)

I also dislike Victor quite a lot. I don't know why... his entrance to the team seemed rushed and out of place.

I would have made him a backup character for a while. Then made him join the team.

End Spoilers

#2 Posted by Valiant Paladin (36 posts) - - Show Bio

It's one of those books I never looked at monthly, just picked up the little paperback volumes. I stopped shortly after Victor came on the scene, for no other reason except time restraints, and I stopped working at the library I was getting them from. For what I read, especially the first volume, were pretty cool.

and the way you described it, with the warm tinglies, is spot on. that's how I felt when the first arc was over. That, and a little bit of sadness. Weird, huh?

#3 Posted by Zero (31 posts) - - Show Bio

Excellent comic, it really deserves more attention, some really enjoyable characters, good team dynamics, a bunch of surprises and a breath of fresh air with all this super-heroe-crossovers-mega-events nonsense.

Bravo Mr. Brian K. Vaughan!

#4 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

The reason we like Runaways so much: Jailbait!

Just kidding.

Anyway, it is a fine comicbook. And Vaughan is quickly becoming one of my favorite writters, though I need to read more of him. I liked what he did in UXM.

#5 Posted by dingosatemybaby (4 posts) - - Show Bio

Did I read somewhere that Joss Whedon was going to take over the writing on this title? I have never read any of these, but may try to play catch-up if he's going to write some.

#6 Posted by Mind (256 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, Vaughan is doing a heck of a job. I'm not sure if anyone could replace him... But considering Joss Whedon has a thing for overpowered teenage girls, this might be just the job for him.

#7 Posted by Raif (360 posts) - - Show Bio

I just got the trades vol 1 thru 5 for 6bucks plus 4 bucks shipping on ebay.

#8 Posted by Lumiras (2 posts) - - Show Bio

I think that Runaways is the best team book in the Marvel U right now. Vaughan does a great job at dialog, and that's what makes the book so good. They might not be the most original characters, they may not fight the coolest villains, but at the end of the day you love all of them and wait for their next adventure.

The book is in good hands once Whedon takes over. Just look at Astonishing X-Men for proof that he can write a superhero team book

As for the original points the first poster brought up, here's my opinion

1) Yes, I agree. A Nico/Karolina romance would not only be very hot :), but it would also probably complicate the team dynamic, which would be a good thing. Nico's the leader, and if she started playing favorites with Karolina, who knows what would happen?

Vaughan did use Xavin as a cop-out, and the whole Skrull shape-shifting thing allowed him to make a lesbian character without her actually being a lesbian. I think Xavin has gotten better in the past few issues, but his/her presence is somewhat unneeded

2.) I can't agree with you on the Victor point. Although he's not the most interesting character, I think he has a lot more long-term implications for the team.

#9 Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

I just finished volume 1 (digest version) the other day. I really missed the boat on this (although I did read the civil war crossover). It is some great stuff. I had passed on it 'cause I thought it'd be a little too...kiddie for me. Silly me.

Staff
#10 Posted by Mana (9 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely love this series! I've been collecting the comics for awhile now, and I recently got the Hardcover Vol.1 for Christmas (No one's touching it but me! Haha). So far I think the series is going pretty well. It's definately a great fresh series for Marvel to have. I'm looking for to seeing how things are going to turn out after Joss Whedon takes over, which I believe is in issue 23 that's coming out in the next week or so.

#11 Posted by Lady Solbright (7 posts) - - Show Bio

I love Runaways!! G-Man lent me Volume 1 over the weekend and I couldnt stop reading it. G-Man let me know when you have more. =)

#12 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey he lent it to me this weekend too! I also thought it rocked. I also read his copy of Ex Machina and thought it was excellent.

Staff
#13 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

I am reading vol 1 now and its been gripping. Favourite part was when they were all accusing people over "the mole", and Karoline says something and Chase says "Okay, i say Karoline's the mole." Gert "Seconded." I was laughing over that. only have 3 more issues on vol.1 and i plan to finish them tonight. My favourite character is Chase.

#14 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

This has to be one of the best comics I have read in awhile, the art fits perfectly and the mix of characters is cool, Chase is the bomb (wont spoil it for anyone) but Gret wow and Nico is far to messed up and best of all little Molly wow wow.

This comic has it all and later Molly sucker punches the Punisher one of the best things I have seen, Best teen team since the titans.

#15 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Final Arrow says:

"This comic has it all and later Molly sucker punches the Punisher one of the best things I have seen, Best teen team since the titans."

cant wait to see that...

#16 Posted by Xénon (135 posts) - - Show Bio

It's definitely a great book, which a tasty mix of humor, action and spunk. Nico is my favorite, but all the characters (except maybe Xavin) are very well-developped and add something to the team. I only read Runaways in TPBs, though, so I still haven't read the new Whedon issues, but I certainly hope he did well.

For anyone who isn't reading this.... well, do! You won't regret it!

#17 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

i have red volume 1 now. punches the air ready for volume 2

#18 Posted by G-Man (34236 posts) - - Show Bio

Good stuff!

Staff
#19 Posted by Hagane Enna (7450 posts) - - Show Bio

And don't forget the Runaways/Young Avengers Civil Wat tie in.

#20 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Am finally up to date with Runaways now. i had time to read them for a while but forgot i had them. but i read 24 issues yesterday. My favourite character was and is Chase, i thought it would change but it never. glad the writer kept him to be a laid back character, who helps his friends in a drop of a hat or frog thinking of the machine. am gutted that the team has now left and went on to other projects but this will get them into good stuff now. BUT the colourist is still there which am glad because she is amazing.

" />http://img135.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mollypage1au0.jpg

" />http://img132.imageshack.us/my.php?image=mollypage2bj4.jpg

" />http://img216.imageshack.us/my.php?image=spidermanimbatmannu0.jpg

#22 Posted by Final Arrow (24388 posts) - - Show Bio

I love the scene after that, when wolverine walks back in as cap falls on his face, "I wont tell anyone if you dont" Classic

#23 Posted by Supreme Marvel (11264 posts) - - Show Bio

Final Arrow says:

"I love the scene after that, when wolverine walks back in as cap falls on his face, "I wont tell anyone if you dont" Classic"

i was laughing because that was a bad day for them...

#24 Posted by grimm (525 posts) - - Show Bio

I agree with you. I still can't believe that they killed off gert. I also don't like this new arc. I heard that they are getting a new character this arc. Is it true? I f it is then they will probably add the rose girl from the new arc because Karolina seems very interested in talking to her

#25 Posted by GL Bertron (3708 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only finished the first two volumes and the CW cross overs, but I am impressed with the story and the art. Now to get the third and see what I think after that.

#26 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

I generally like the book but the current story isn't blowing me away.

#27 Posted by Magick (427 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the current story because Im hoping that the time travel will be used to bring back Gert. I almost stopped reading when they killed her.

#28 Posted by Frisco (285 posts) - - Show Bio

I've only read bits and pieces; but I do like it a lot. The characters and all are amazing.

#29 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

So, I just saw the latest cover, for Runaways #30:

Anyone else think Nico's (new?) Staff looks sorta Christmas-y? And is that Chase with what looks like Fistigons?

#30 Posted by T.J. Magnum (27685 posts) - - Show Bio

i have been reading then for awhile,and i like them alot

#31 Posted by The_Black_Scorpion (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I absolutely LOVE Runaways.

When they said Joss Weedon was going to work on it for a while I thought, 'Good. He's a popular writer so people will read Runaways because he's working on it, then get hooked, which can only be a good thing.

I DO kinda wish he'd stop taking his sweet time,though. It's been almost a YEAR since the current arc began, and he still hasn't finished. Surely some one as accomplished as he doesn't need a year or more to write six comics?

#32 Posted by Old Lace (2 posts) - - Show Bio

The REAL reason that got me back into comics ! Ever since I became aware of their existence I keep up with marvel events so I can know how they are doing.

#33 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOVE them as well. and thank goodness Gert was gone..>She didn't Jell With the group for me

[=
#34 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio

Can't wait for the latest TPB. It's been so long. =[

#35 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

GLOOM! i totally picture you as Nico

#36 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio
My two current characters ^^
#37 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio

I like the Runaways' team mechanic, but I often have a hard time reading their books. I think it's usually been due to the artistic styling.

#38 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"
My two current characters ^^
"
*click and save* I love it! I love them both! and chase...and Victor....not Xavin...and sometimes Molly
Slinger said:
"I like the Runaways' team mechanic, but I often have a hard time reading their books. I think it's usually been due to the artistic styling."
The first two volumes had beautiful art...this one, not so much but it's still a joy to read
#39 Posted by Slinger (7640 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"Slinger said:
"I like the Runaways' team mechanic, but I often have a hard time reading their books. I think it's usually been due to the artistic styling."
The first two volumes had beautiful art...this one, not so much but it's still a joy to read"
Unfortunately I was unaware of their greatness until the current volume. I hate that cheezy wannabe manga artwork. The SI Young Avengers/Runaways book was disturbing.
#40 Posted by Gloom (3653 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
"*click and save* I love it! I love them both! and chase...and Victor....not Xavin...and sometimes Molly"
Same here! ^^ Nico and Karolina are my two favorites. Molly isn't so bad most of the time, but Xavin I'm really meh about. =/
#41 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Totally agreed on that disappointment. But you must, you must, you must go and get the first two volumes...it's amazing. And it's current one is lovely as well...the art [IMO] is waaaaaay better than that of the SI thing

#42 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
Gloom said:
"pixelized said:
"*click and save* I love it! I love them both! and chase...and Victor....not Xavin...and sometimes Molly"
Same here! ^^ Nico and Karolina are my two favorites. Molly isn't so bad most of the time, but Xavin I'm really meh about. =/"
There's just something about Him/her that hasn't clicked with me yet. I always think He/she is up to something. All that gender switching...it's something to watch out for
#43 Posted by Vance Astro (91235 posts) - - Show Bio

The art has sucked lately.

#44 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

it's cute...it's fun!

#45 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

Runaways rock, they are the modern teenagers. They're all good characters, but I haven't read Live Fast yet or Dead End, Kids.   

#46 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

Those are comics as well?

#47 Edited by Zoom (14668 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"The art has sucked lately."
I agree.  Ramos is awful.  Its not just bad art.  Its distractingly bad art.

I really just haven't liked the whole new series.  I just don't think Terry Moore knows how to write these characters the way Vaughn or even Weaton did.

Its a perfect example of "was good, now it sucks."
#48 Posted by Nighthunter (28582 posts) - - Show Bio
Zoom said:
"

Its a perfect example of "was good, now it sucks.""
which is the motto of "Titans"

btw go to the teen titans forum and see the first thread, you'll love it
#49 Posted by Sovereign Vance (735 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't like the book anymore.

#50 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

it seems very childish. like 6 issues for that one anti-climactic arc... are you kidding me?

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.