Follow

Runaways

Team » Runaways appears in 305 issues.

The Runaways are the children of The Pride, a super-powered crime ring that had control of Los Angeles for many years. After defeating their parents, the Runaways attempt to make up for their parent's sins by fighting crime in Los Angeles, being the city's official protectors.

The RUNAWAYS Movie Gets A Screenwriter

No_name_here

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

Edited By No_name_here
    I'd like to think the Runaways are reading a Variety article about themselves.
    I'd like to think the Runaways are reading a Variety article about themselves.
    You might remember from a while back that NICK & NORA’S INFINITE PLAYLIST director, Pete Sollett, is attached to direct a big screen adaptation of RUNAWAYS.  Now, that project’s got a writer, according to Deadline, and his name's Neil Pearce. Who's he? A screenwriter who’s actually already got a history of handling the lighter, funnier side of superheroics. Why’s that? He’s the creator of the British show, NO HEROICS

RUNAWAYS has been on hiatus since last November, so here's a refresher on the book, if you need one. It's about an unofficial team of super-powered teens whose parents all happen to be members of the super-villainous group, the Pride. Being the rebellious youths that they are, the Runaways decide to defy their parents and (of course) run away to fight for good, instead of evil. The book was created Brian K. Vaughan and Adrian Alphona in '02 as part of Marvel's Tsunami line and, since their departure from the title, it's been worked on by the likes of Joss Whedon, Humberto Ramos and Terry Moore, among others.

A little more about NO HEROICS. It's about a handful of off-duty superhero drinking buddies and its title comes from the fact the pub they frequent has a strict rule… “No Heroics.” I hadn’t heard of the show before this, but the clips I’ve found online are actually pretty funny. Seems like it was mini-series that ran only six episodes in fall 2008. So, sort of like THE OFFICE, only less than half as long. Furthering the similarities to THE OFFICE, the series was actually remade for Americans by ABC, but the network declined to pick the show up after the pilot.  == TEASER == 

The NO HEROICS friends.
     The NO HEROICS friends.

It stills seems kind of crazy to me that RUNAWAYS, out of all of Marvel’s titles, is getting fast-tracked like this. I wonder if it’s going to factor into the larger movie universe that Marvel’s building with IRON MAN, HULK, AVENGERS, et al. I also wonder if Vaughan is going to be involved. He’s a working screenwriter, after all.

I wonder about all of that, but the one thing I’m pretty sure about is the Pearce is going to have to rein it in a little for this project. Everything I’ve seen of NO HEROICS online is funny stuff, but definitely adult-oriented, and, call me crazy, but I figure RUNAWAYS is aiming for a PG-13 here.

Actually, why should I just describe NO HEROICS when you can watch it for yourself? However, I’ll reiterate…

WARNING - - THIS TRAILER INTENDED FOR MATURE AUDIENCES ONLY 

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Studios and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Pre-order the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover now on Amazon.com.

KRYPTON

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 3

#1  Edited By KRYPTON

Why is Runaways getting a movie? They have not been around for even 10 years. Let alone as long as Spiderman. This is all to sudden.

Avatar image for emerald_lamp_2814
    emerald_lamp_2814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 30

#2  Edited By emerald_lamp_2814

looks like a funny show
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 9

#3  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @Tom Pinchuk: watched the  no heroics series myself, timebomb is by far the funniest character wasnt recieved to well here either hence it was only a short run. intresting to see what they cna do with a completly differnet set up
    cmaprice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#4  Edited By cmaprice

Oh. I thought Vaughan would still be writing. Well, this is marginally disappointing. But we'll see.

jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#5  Edited By jordama

:D  I am so going to find this show right now :DDDDDDDDD
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#6  Edited By mimschkin

20 years of watching UK TV and I have never heard of this series?

marcelo2169

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By marcelo2169

LAME!

xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 22

#8  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @mimschkin said: 

" 20 years of watching UK TV and I have never heard of this series? "

Yep, same here (although somewhat longer than 20 years).  I have never heard of this series outside of Comic Vine. 

@Tom Pinchuk: The trailer is a lot funnier than I thought it'd be, but for the Runaways I'd rather see something closer to E4's Misfits.       

WARNING:  MATURE LANGUAGE!  YOU ARE WARNED!!

Jordanstine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Jordanstine

I've read Runaways volume 1, which was a really good book, so I can see why Marvel would want to turn this into a film.

EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @xerox-kitty:  misfits good then? i heard mixed reviews and never got round to it
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @lazystudent: Far from perfect, some needless sex & drug abuse.  Otherwise, not a bad idea & I'm surprised at myself for looking forward to the next series.  I wrote a little about it in my blog :)  I'll even get the DVDs if they're cheap enough. 

But I think anyone who handled the Misfts would have a good idea how to handle the Runaways.  Sense of humour, and how to make kids look like unwitting powerful beings.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @xerox-kitty:  will have a look into it, your semi recomendation is enough for me lol
    mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By mimschkin
    @lazystudent:  I agree with xerox-kitty, it wasn't great but it did have some funny moments. The plot was quite predictable as well. Season 2 is on the way.
    EdwardWindsor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By EdwardWindsor
    @mimschkin:  see the intresting thing is both say not gerat but both want to watch second season, is it just our britishness coming through and being overly nagative about it lol
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#15  Edited By RedK
    @lazystudent: Saw the entire run on misfits and thought it was good, but i'm am sort of biased when it comes to any show with superpowers, but alot of my friends who aren't into the whole superhero stuff thought that it was good. I'd recommend it, it's sort of like the first season of heroes with out all the storylines going on at once.
    tallTuck94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By tallTuck94

i love the runaways and am so glad this is being made
    @RedK: i'm so happy misfits is getting a second series

damswedon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#17  Edited By damswedon
    @mimschkin: it was an ITV2 thing and when it came to ITV it was given an 11:30 show time, and who watched ITV past 11. 
    The series it's self wasn't so good, for a 6 show run it ran way to quickly into the sex jokes. But there was one great character who could see like 3 mins into the future and was a recovering sex addict because all he did was think of every chat up line he could and found the one that worked.
    xerox_kitty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By xerox_kitty
    @RedK said:
    " @lazystudent: Saw the entire run on misfits and thought it was good, but i'm am sort of biased when it comes to any show with superpowers, but alot of my friends who aren't into the whole superhero stuff thought that it was good. I'd recommend it, it's sort of like the first season of heroes with out all the storylines going on at once. "
    Misfits has been labelled as a cross between Heroes & Skins.  So it's easy to see why it appeals to so many people in so many different ways.  The superpowered side of it isn't over-the-top.  There's a lot of character inter-action.  Likeable & hateful characters, but not one of them is a saint.  They're all flawed.  That's why I thought of Misfits when I saw this Article.
    RedK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#19  Edited By RedK

@talltuck94:  yea, i know that they started filming it at the start of may so it will probably be back on are screens some time between september or november.
    Bergquist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#20  Edited By Bergquist

i loved that book for the frist 2,3 vol.  but it kind of went down hill but i would ilove to see the movie
    Cherry Bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21  Edited By Cherry Bomb

I'm so excited. :D I love the Runaways
    & I'm happy that Marvel are finally pursuing this movie, it's a movie that everyone can relate too. I'm sure we've all thought our parents were evil.

Avatar image for artisticneedham
    ArtisticNeedham

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By ArtisticNeedham

No Heroics reminds me of the Mystery Men movie, but turned into a British TV series.

Gylan Thomas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Gylan Thomas

What became of the US version of No Heroics?

No Caption Provided
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 16

#24  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @ArtisticNeedham said:
    " No Heroics reminds me of the Mystery Men movie, but turned into a British TV series. "
    Yep, just what I was thinking. I really think Marvel is shooting for the "Graphic Novel feel" with a Runaways movie. I think it would be a cult hit like The Crow if done right. Y'know, give it that realistic gritty feel.
    Gothic Storm

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 16

#25  Edited By Gothic Storm
    @Gylan Thomas:  Probably the same thing that happened to the US version of Monty Python's Flying Circus... Oh wait, Saturday Night Live is still around I think. (Hasn't been decent since the early 90s though!)
    jordama

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 13

#26  Edited By jordama

i just watched the 6 episodes, pretty funny :)
    Adam Michaels

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Adam Michaels

I read my first Runaways book about two weeks ago. It's a fun read. Nothing essential, in my opinion, but fun nonetheless. 

I do find it odd that this team will get a movie when I believe there are others more worthy. Personally, I place the reboots of the FF, DD, and Ghost Rider ahead of this new franchise. But I guess they do deserve a shot as well. 

Who owns the rights to this film? Is it Marvel Studios or is it another company? Anybody know?

DarkSyde79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DarkSyde79

This is a project that should be avoided but maybe it'll be interesting. I wonder if it'll fit into the grander picture but who knows...

fACEmelter88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

User Lists: 5

#29  Edited By fACEmelter88
    @KRYPTON : PLAIN AND SIMPLE: they're awesome...u read them? u should the series is life changing...not really but i'm naming my daughter molly
    sora_thekey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

User Lists: 8

#30  Edited By sora_thekey

Runaways is such an interesting story that I feel would be translated into film very well!
    Can't wait to see this movie!

mimschkin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By mimschkin
    @damswedon: Oh that'll be why I've never heard of it, I don't watch ITV :P 

@lazystudent:  I'm not dying to see a second season but I guess it was something to fill the time, lol.
    D34dM4n

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By D34dM4n

i've read quite a bit of the Runaways and for the most part I really enjoyed it. here's hoping the movie isn't f***ing terrible

Avatar image for captaingenisvell
    CaptainGenisVell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By CaptainGenisVell

I've pretty much read all the Runaways and loved the majority of it, especially with the original writers and Joss Whedon, but some of the others didn't really know how to portray the characters correctly.
    I quite liked 'Misfits', since it wasn't your usual superhero programme and so has the edge of alot of the rest, the same goes for 'No Heroics'.

Avatar image for emperor_gonzo_noir
    Emperor Gonzo Noir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 17

surprisingly, I'm not very enthusiastic about this

deactivated-579fe0ae58107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 304

User Lists: 27

I like Runaways. Except for what they've done with a couple of the characters (SPOILER: the one's that have been killed off.) Brian K. Vaughn must be working very hard to get a movie made. Or, that must've been part of the agreement when the book launched or something. It's a good book, great characters...but 'fastracking' a movie?...hmmm... 

CellphoneGirl

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 6

#36  Edited By CellphoneGirl

I can't wait ^_^

MisterDK

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37  Edited By MisterDK
    @Gylan Thomas said:

" What became of the US version of No Heroics?

No Caption Provided
    "
    I enjoyed all the little references like that. The beers aswell were named that way. My favourite was "Shazamstel" or...

No Caption Provided

Remember seeing that as either promotional art or a poster in the program somewhere.

And the US version just wasn't picked up because it wasn't supposed to be that good. Like the US versions of Spaced, IT Crowd, Men Behaving Badly, Are You Being Served?, Coupling, Vicar of Dibly, Life on Mars.... well lots to be fair. Very few American remakes of British shows work.
    doordoor123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By doordoor123

This is one of my favorite titles ever. And ive read a lot. Im sure someone picked this up, read it and loved it as much as i did. Thats why its being made into a movie. Was kick-ass any different? im surprised kick-ass got to be on screen. It wasnt even that great of a series.  
    Im SO excited for this. I think the movie could actually be better than the series if its done right. But im also afraid its going to get toned down for a younger audience. 
    Well see. Im still going to be first in line for a ticket to this movie.

sifsclub

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By sifsclub

I like The Runaways. A lot. we used to get the books at the library, my brother and i. we initially had no idea who they were, but they were cool to me. i just hope the movie doesn't suck "A bad word"
    Mbecks14

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#40  Edited By Mbecks14

really like the Runaways but that No Heroics show looks stupid. i hate British comedy

Nod-Nolan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41  Edited By Nod-Nolan

This is extremely strange, this guy wrote two "comedies" for a channel that hasn't had any success in making comedies for years and he continued the trend. Both "No Heroics" and "High Spirits with Shirley Ghostman" were terrible. When we're treated with recent comedy greats like The Office (the British Original), Black Books, Father Ted, Peep Show and Spaced, it was no surprise that the embarrassingly cringe worthy "No Heroics" wasn't back for a second series.  

his other small screen credits don't really show how he got this high profile gig.

uroboros

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By uroboros

I really enjoyed No Heroics and I love Runaways so this is good news for me.

LP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By LP

The Runaways are my favorite thing Marvel but I don't want to see a movie, personally. I can't see the point, and I don't think any Hollywood writers have the sensitivity for that type of story.

Avatar image for illyana_rasputin
    Illyana Rasputin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

#44  Edited By Illyana Rasputin

This looks clever! I want to watch this, now!

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.