So I'd like to get in to Runaways. Where Can I Start?

#1 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

Hey guys. So I've heard nothing but amazing things about the Runaways series and I really want to get into it but I don't really know what the pure essentials are. There's no Ultimate Collection or anything to my knowledge so could anyone help me in deciding which books to pick up please? I'm not planning on investing myself into all of their stuff as I don't have that much money. Just the real essentials and what kind of format I can get them in.

Thanks in advance :)

#2 Edited by TheOptimist (713 posts) - - Show Bio

The very beginning. It really is the only place to start... not because you have to in order to understand, but because doing so will provide the best possible reading experience... the first volume was one of my favorite comic runs, like, ever... there are a couple of different formats that you could get it in... the individual trades, the hardcover volume of the first run or the smaller digest versions... if it is within your budget, I'd actually go for the hardcover collection of (I believe) 1-18... that is an absolute primer on the Runaways experience... and the true essentials. Seriously loved that comic, like crazy.

Amending my statement post research... the hardcover is decently expensive on Amazon... which sucks, because being reminded of it made me want to buy the HC myself... I'd go with Vol 1 in paperback form, Pride and Joy, for $10... if you can find the books at cons, there are certain to be better deals.

#3 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

@TheOptimist: Thanks a ton! Do you think I should just stop after Vol. 1 or read on? If read on then where should I stop? Like I said I'm looking for the most essential to add to my collection :)

#4 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@Or35ti said:

@TheOptimist: Thanks a ton! Do you think I should just stop after Vol. 1 or read on? If read on then where should I stop? Like I said I'm looking for the most essential to add to my collection :)

I think you should read on just to get a better sense of the characters but I should warn you that the other 2 volumes aren't as good as the first.
#5 Posted by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

The series lost it after Vaughan.
BB

#6 Posted by Or35ti (1101 posts) - - Show Bio

@Vance Astro: So how far do you think I should go?

@Billy Batson: So you're saying I should just read Vaughan's run? How much did he write exactly?

Thanks a lot guys, I really appreciate it :)

#7 Edited by Billy Batson (57799 posts) - - Show Bio

@Or35ti:

First this and then this. The latter one up till issue #24.

BB

#8 Posted by Mune (15 posts) - - Show Bio

Joss Whedon did a run that was very good, I enjoy all of it, but I suppose the first run is the best if your money is tight.

#9 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18828 posts) - - Show Bio

Vaughn's run was so perfect <3 I enjoyed Joss Whedon's run, but Vaughn's is flawless. After Whedon's run is.. disappointing, but I still read them because I am in love with the characters.

Runaways is literally one of the best comic book series I have ever read.

#10 Posted by sacredweapons (643 posts) - - Show Bio

I went hard till the end of volume 2. Then i sat in the corner and hid from the chibi.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.