Marvel Lining Up A RUNAWAYS Movie

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio

Look at 'em, all nervous before their big Hollywood close-up.

If you’re like me, you did a little double-take when the ads for that Joan Jett bio-pic started running recently. For a moment - - just a fleeting moment - - you thought the movie was actually a big screen version of one of Marvel’s team books. How does one confuse a pioneering all-girl rock band from the 70s with an outfit of superheroes (girl power jokes aside)? Because they’re both called the Runaways.

Captain America debuted in the 40’s. Thor and Iron Man debuted in 60s. Now, a title that started in 2003 might be getting its shot at the big screen. According to Deadline, Marvel Studios is negotiating with NICK & NORAH’S INFINITE PLAYLIST director Peter Sollet to guide these rebellious children of super villains onto the silver screen. Apparently, this project’s been in development for a while, since it’ll be released under Marvel’s pre-existing deal with Paramount rather than being distributed by Disney.

I have to say it’s kind of crazy to hear that this, of all Marvel properties, is moving ahead. Sure, the title’s been a success for several years (and that’s especially remarkable given its cancellation and survival of the Tsunami line), but you’d expect that Marvel might be trying to get long-standers like, oh say, Dr. Strange, Black Panther, Iron Fist, et al, in line first.  Perhaps the official spin of it being “THE BREAKFAST CLUB with superheroes” has been the difference. That does sound sexy. And there IS already an illustration of what that would look like, isn’t there?

The other question regards how this will factor in to Marvel’s larger movie universe. Should this go ahead, would you want to see the Runaways cameoing in the AVENGERS movie? Would Nick Fury pop in their flick, in turn? And who do you, the Tsunami-surviving Comic Vine community, see playing all these characters? What actors are destined to portray  Alex, Gert, Chase, Karolina, Molly and Nico?

-- Tom Pinchuk is the writer of UNIMAGINABLE for Arcana Comics and HYBRID BASTARDS! for Archaia. Watch out for the HYBRID BASTARDS! hardcover collection this April - - available for pre-order now on Amazon.com.

#1 Posted by Dane (10588 posts) - - Show Bio

As I've said in the threads about a possible upcoming Runaways movie, I'd really love to see the first arc in Volume 1 get made into a movie. That really was one of the most original and awesome stories I've ever read.

#2 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

There is only one set of Runaways i care for.

#3 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18818 posts) - - Show Bio

i can't wait!

#4 Posted by Axdemon (21 posts) - - Show Bio

I get the ominous feeling that this has the potential to be the next Twilight after Twilight is done being Twilight. I can see it now, "I know that Alex is evil, but he's so dreamy!", "I wish I was Gert, she gets to have Chase all to herself."

#5 Posted by zombietag (1488 posts) - - Show Bio

i love runaways. ive been waiting for this

#6 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio

Runaways would be an amazing movie... Since Marvel created the biggest tie-in in movies with the avengers.... why not do the same? 

Runaways and the Young Avengers keep running into each other in comics... why not have another smaller tie-in in the Marvel movies? 
After an origin movie with Runaways, make an origin movie with Young Avengers and then a third movie with all the kids!
#7 Posted by Kid_Zombie (824 posts) - - Show Bio

Cool, never read the books, but I love that marvel can expand above the full out superheros and do a more "teen oriented" movie while still being in their universe. 
The only thing that worries me is that damn dino ha ha that could take it from being realistic away quickly. but who knows like i said never read them. but think its a great move on marvel studios part.

#8 Posted by Captain13 (3257 posts) - - Show Bio

Yesss! Vol. 1 is one of my all time favorite books.

#9 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

Omg, This has to happen.
Runaways was the first ever comic I read, I love it.

#10 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

I think this is a wise move.  It isn't a stereo typical, lycra wearing hero book.  They're just a bunch of kids struggling to get by without parents, and with powers.  It's pretty much what most teenagers have dreamt about at some point... I think this would pull in more new readers than yet another Spider-Man relaunch.

#11 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: I actually said it could be the next Harry Potter for kids.
#12 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio

Does this count as news, It's been on the cards for the last three years!!!!
#13 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18818 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: That is true, i showed my friend this series, and she is alot more interested in comics now.
#14 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: I don't think so.  There's enough other properties out there that are trying to be the 'next Harry Potter', especially (but not exclusively) Percy Jackson & the horrendous abuse of Greek Mythology.
#15 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: hence the term COULD BE if done well, this could kick ass.. 
#16 Posted by joshmightbe (24598 posts) - - Show Bio

i wish wolverine could cameo so id get to see molly put him on his ass in live action
#17 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @.Mistress Redhead.: I don't think so.  There's enough other properties out there that are trying to be the 'next Harry Potter', especially (but not exclusively) Percy Jackson & the horrendous abuse of Greek Mythology. "

I think MR means it has the potenial to be as big as HP to kids but for comics. I kinda of agree it could bring so much to comics, new readers and a new cash cow!
#18 Posted by AngelFrost (2833 posts) - - Show Bio

I loved Nick and Norah's Infinite Playlist.  (:  
So I'm thrilled with this news, through and through. 

http://www.comicvine.com/runaways/65-40440/runaways-movie/92-391348/#51 

Check out my board ;)

#19 Posted by couzinit99 (169 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE THIS NEWS!!!! the Runaways were one of the many factors that got me into comic books all those years ago (ok its like 5 years ago but wateve :P) and i'm really excited if the film goes through and is actually good.
#20 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead. said:
" @xerox-kitty: hence the term COULD BE if done well, this could kick ass..  "
No, Runaways... Not Kick Ass... oh, no, wait... ;) 

I don't see Runaways as a 'kids' story, even thoughit's about kids.  If the movie is anything less than a PG-13, it'll suck.
#21 Posted by .Mistress Redhead. (27083 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty: OH HARDY HAR ;p 

Oh hell no, but most of the truly brilliant kids films go totally over their heads, how many films did you watch as a kid, then re watch years later and go O_o wtf mum and dad let me watch that??!!
#22 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm all in for the Runaways...but I bet that Cloak and Dagger won't make an appearance from the First Volume story-arc UNTIL they get the Avengers flick...where EVERYONE (Cap. America, The Hulk, Iron Man, Giant Man, Thor, Wasp, Nick Fury, Black Widow....) meets each other...THEN have a MARVEL UNIVERSE. (Even though the Fantastic 4 meet Silver Surfer a few years back...and Spidy hasn't meet them nor Black Cat yet.....)

#23 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@.Mistress Redhead.: Heh heh... sorry, couldn't resist ;) 

True.  I still find it funny that I used to live with a guy who confessed that his first solo sexual experience was to Ghostbusters ;p 

But I like the way that Runaways is (or at least started as) the book about teens for teens (although not by teens ;).  Not just the usual 'hey kids, it's a comic so it's goofy action or angst-fuelled-bloodlust'.  It's almost the Skins of comics.  I doubt that a movie adaptation would be as hedonistic as Skins, but I certainly hope for style & characterisation over big-names & special effects. 

And possibly half a dozen unbelievable costume changes for Nico, that make you think 'how could she possibly make that herself... before she had magic?!' ;)
#24 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd love to see this made into a movie. Imo, Runaways is one of Marvel's most underrated properties (and one of my favs). Brian K Vaughn just so happens to be my fav writer as well. I'd almost rather see this made into a series though...it just has that feel to it when your read the frist couple of volumes...
#25 Posted by brendon277 (513 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't there a Runaways movie coming out or is it something else???

#26 Posted by Queen's Halo (2431 posts) - - Show Bio

This will be tricky, I don't see anyone alive who can portray her.

#27 Posted by crazed_h3ro (1000 posts) - - Show Bio

Hope Alex wil be in it,i know he had his "evil" moment but come on he had a good reason for it...right? anyways hope this movie will come out soon.

#28 Posted by Final Arrow (24359 posts) - - Show Bio
@brendon277 said:
"Isn't there a Runaways movie coming out or is it something else??? "

that one is about a band
#29 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (8865 posts) - - Show Bio

this is one of my favorite comic of all times and i would love to see this in the movies

#30 Posted by Meteorite (3351 posts) - - Show Bio

This would be a better movie if it wasn't put into the main Marvel Movie Universe. The Runaways aren't exactly normal superheroes, so they'd be better away from that universe.

#31 Posted by Yung ANcient One (4601 posts) - - Show Bio

i say they should get a TV show like Smallville not a Movie... IMO

but whatevers

Rejoice FANS

#32 Posted by Fleonix (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Woot woot....... I've been waiting for this for a long long time.

#33 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

Runaways was one of my favorite series (while Vaughan and Whedon wrote. Terry Moore nearly killed it)

I've been waiting anxiously for a film or show to come out of it.

Here's hoping Vaughan pens it.

And while they should stay on the fringe, I think it should be the same universe as the new Marvel films. Since movie Iron Man lives in CA, maybe the emergence of Tony is what inspired Alex to his "cape" obsession. Perhaps Cap and Iron Man are briefly involved once the story of the Pride hits the media, in an effort to put the kids in responsible foster homes (unsuccessfully) once they're orphans.

Any mainstream connections should remain a secondary feature. Runaways was always meant to follow its own path.

#34 Posted by MSBoyd23 (112 posts) - - Show Bio

Maybe they'll bring back the comic now to build hype for the movie.  Oh, I can only hope.

#35 Posted by They Killed Cap! (2243 posts) - - Show Bio

not a fan
#36 Edited by cmaprice (809 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think how long ago a character was created should be too big an influence on the process. 

1. A group of teens discover their parents are supervillains who rule over LA. As they run away and discover their own unique talents, they decide they must expose their parents and restore honor to their family names.

2. A brilliant surgeon loses his ability to operate when his hands are crushed in a car accident. Searching through the ends of the Earth for a miracle treatment, he stumbles upon a mystical world and begins his journey to become the Sorcerer Supreme.

3. An African prince mourns the loss of his father as he faces threats to his kingdom both from within and from without. Taking the persona of the Black Panther, he accomplishes what the traditions of his office do not permit as he takes forbidden steps beyond his border.

4. A martial artist and industrialist unlocks an ancient strength and mythic power when he defeats a dragon and absorbs its energy. Now he protects the innocent, sometimes as a hero for hire.

Regardless of a fanboy vote based on nostalgia, number 1 and 3 are by far what would be seen as strong loglines for a 3-5 picture deal. They are also, not coincidentally, the ones more people would typically respond to. Runaways, however, has a larger built-in audience in the larger demographic. 

Runaways was originally written like a tv show and lends itself to on-screen success much more easily than the other 3 options listed in this article. Runaways is the strongest core concept and is much fresher as it's a story most people have not seen before, yet it connects with people on the level that at some point we've all felt our parents were evil and wanted to run off on our own. It's universal.

#37 Posted by Illyana Rasputin (2771 posts) - - Show Bio

A Runaways movie would be awesome! As would NYX!

#38 Posted by Personamanx (26 posts) - - Show Bio

It can't make me lose anymore faith in the characters than Immomen did......

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.