Could This Be the First Star of the Runaways Movie?

Posted by No_name_here (1223 posts) - - Show Bio
 Which Runaways could you be, Keke?

RUNAWAYS, which I’ve thought of as Marvel Studios’ “stealth sub,” is (probably) getting its first cast member - - Keke Palmer, the star of AKEELAH & THE BEE and Nick’s “junior fashion mogul” show TRUE JACKSON, VP. There haven’t been any official announcements yet, but /Film found out that the young actress was offered a role in the movie after she let this slip in an interview with Essence Magazine...

"I’ve had a nice little break with the steady TV show but I’m definitely ready to do some more films again. I was just asked to join a new Marvel comic project called, “Runaways.”

The question now is… which of the Runaways would she play? You’ll recall the descriptions from the open casting call that went up earlier this summer. Racebending has gotten Marvel to insure that Nico will be played by an Asian-American actress and Keke’s too old to play Molly… so that leaves Gertrude, Karolina or possibly Xavin, the Skrull sleeper agent. Which one do you RUNAWAYS and Nickelodeon devotees think she’d be best suited for?

I still think the fact that this movie’s going ahead, in itself, is quite intriguing. It’s sort-of a (pun intended) x-factor in the greater “latticework” that Marvel’s erecting for its movie world. The announcements for all this have been coming pretty steadily over the summer, but they’ve all been kept rather low-key. I’m not sure whether these kids are going to exist in the same universe that’s being revealed over the course of THOR, IRON MAN, et al. Should they? People are already talking about having trouble reconciling all the heroes in the AVENGERS movie. Additional, I wonder if this might open a watershed for newer Marvel characters and titles like, say, the Young Avengers and the Hood to make it to the movies. Should that be the case? Or should they get in line behind older characters like Iron Fist and Dr. Strange?

Tom Pinchuk’s the writer of    HYBRID BASTARDS! &   UNIMAGINABLE. Order them on Amazon   here  &     here.

#1 Posted by SUPER-MAN 23 (2052 posts) - - Show Bio

Thumbs up. 

#2 Posted by ComicMan24 (147090 posts) - - Show Bio

This is the first time I hear about her. But visually she could play Xavin, I think he/she was the only one who was a black girl.

#3 Posted by Mainline (1129 posts) - - Show Bio

"Join" doesn't mean "star" so she might just be in a supporting, non-starring, role... but it's good that they're casting young rather than trying to pass off 30-somethings as pre-teens.

#4 Posted by Sir Duke (116 posts) - - Show Bio

She could be a minor character or something like that.  The only Runaway she could play is Xavin, but I'd be surprised to see Xavin show up in the movie.

#5 Posted by Red Rum (357 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely Xavin, though they may use a different alien race than the skrulls (God Forbid!).

#6 Posted by Agent Buttons (13479 posts) - - Show Bio
Interesting
#7 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

Looking at that picture I could actually see her as a Karolina if they aren't so worried about race. I mean there are plenty of alien races who look like white humans so why not aliens that are black?

As for it fitting in with the other Marvel movies I could see it work. They need to combine the magic of Thor with science of Iron Man in Avengers so why not have villains with children do the same. They can do Runaways before Avengers, but they can't do Young Avengers until after an Avengers movie or two. I think if they make a couple successful Avengers movies they could make a Young Avengers TV series, that'd be awesome.

#8 Posted by riri4life (7189 posts) - - Show Bio

I LOVE Keke! She would be a great choice. :D

#9 Posted by Doctor!!!!! (2055 posts) - - Show Bio

Finnaly, some lovely young talnet.
#10 Posted by RedK (2521 posts) - - Show Bio

hope they put Xavin in the film

#11 Posted by Bobby X (1141 posts) - - Show Bio

Hopefully she plays xavin  if anybody... 
but to be honest, I could do without xavin in the movie. She wasn't in the frist story arc.
#12 Posted by iLLituracy (13537 posts) - - Show Bio

Most likely Karolina followed by Gertrude, they're using Skrulls in the Avengers movie, I'm not sure if they're going to allow Xavin in this movie. Gertrude will most likely be someone chubbier and meaner looking, though...so it should be Karolina. 

#13 Posted by haydenclaireheroes (9055 posts) - - Show Bio

It depends which runaway she is for this to be good or bad news. If she is Karoline that is bad news if she is Xavin that would be good news. 

#14 Posted by Joeybagad0nutz (1378 posts) - - Show Bio

She looks just like Xavin.
#15 Posted by LightBright (4297 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't really think she suits any of the characters.  

I would much rather see a Young Avengers movie (and IRON FIST!!!) before a Runaways film.

#16 Posted by jezebel (12 posts) - - Show Bio

Xavin.  She cannot be Gertrude, and I doubt she will be Karolina.

#17 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@jezebel said:
" Xavin.  She cannot be Gertrude, and I doubt she will be Karolina. "
Agreed.
#18 Posted by Chesapeake (2210 posts) - - Show Bio

This is a great idea for a movie !!

#19 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like Keke to be Xavin, she's pretty hot.
I hope she just appears in like .. a cameo or something in the end.
I'd like them to stick to volume 1 for the first movie.

#20 Posted by lastdrag0n89 (590 posts) - - Show Bio

She's a good actress. Let the speculation begin!!

#21 Posted by BuddyBulson (427 posts) - - Show Bio

she better be xavin ill be pissed if they make Alex female...

#22 Posted by roxamilli (184 posts) - - Show Bio

No matter who she plays, I'll always see her as that girl from the spelling bee movie. 

I love any Runaways movie news though.
#23 Posted by TheMess1428 (2176 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb said:
"  I'd like Keke to be Xavin, she's pretty hot. I hope she just appears in like .. a cameo or something in the end. I'd like them to stick to volume 1 for the first movie. "
Completely agree with that. She could only be Xavin and Xavin isn't in the first one.
#24 Posted by AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge (1221 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb: Cameo would not ft the bill. Xavin's female form would be better.
#25 Posted by zombietag (1494 posts) - - Show Bio

only xavin, but i wasnt expecting her character to be in the movie.

#26 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

YEAH XAVIN, BOO THAT LADY 

She doesn't have the beauty that I think Xavin would have 

While still having the "I can whoop your Butt if you look at me wrong"
#27 Edited by TheDreamer89 (38 posts) - - Show Bio

She looks way too old to be kar, she would work with Xavin but if Xavin is in the movie it's going to suck, the only way they can pull the movie off is stick to the original story arc          

#28 Posted by jordama (4225 posts) - - Show Bio

She could just be a love intrest for Karolina without being directly named Xavin. 

Or she could be used for a flashback when the pride formed, she coul then be Alex's mother
#29 Posted by N7_Normandy (2430 posts) - - Show Bio
@roxamilli said:
" No matter who she plays, I'll always see her as that girl from the spelling bee movie.    
lol, same
#30 Posted by CellphoneGirl (18854 posts) - - Show Bio
@Cherry Bomb said:
"  I'd like Keke to be Xavin, she's pretty hot. I hope she just appears in like .. a cameo or something in the end. I'd like them to stick to volume 1 for the first movie. "
You read my mind :]
#31 Posted by Journey Into Chaos (323 posts) - - Show Bio

Believe it or not i don't know much about runaways... I just read the first issue.

#32 Posted by Shadowdoggy (3815 posts) - - Show Bio

I think she'd be great as Xavin 
but woudl they really be able to do her justice? 
to tap into her issues and everything? 
it'd be a huge chunk of the story if they put it all in there

#33 Posted by Cherry Bomb (3189 posts) - - Show Bio
@AMP - Seeker of Lost Knowledge said:
" @Cherry Bomb: Cameo would not ft the bill. Xavin's female form would be better. "
I said  she should be Xavin  
but if she's been approached for the first movie, then she should only have a cameo role at best IMO.
#34 Posted by xerox_kitty (15762 posts) - - Show Bio
@JoeRiccadonna said:
"She looks just like Xavin. "

She's far prettier than Xavin.  But Karolina deserves a pretty girlfriend :) 

It just seems early to have Xavin in the story.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.