Are you happy with the direction Roy's going in?

#1 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

I'm really disappointed with the way DC is taking Roy. Making him Red Arrow cuts out all of his years and development as Arsenal (plus it's a really shitty codename compared to Arsenal, which is awesome), and dating Hawkgirl is stupid. They have no chemistry at all, and Kendra is completely in love with Carter.

#3 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio

Isn't being Red Arrow just a change of name? It's not like he gets new powers because his name is no longer arsenal....Dating Hawgirl is pretty lame but I doubt it will take anything away from Roy.

#4 Posted by Nighthunter (28580 posts) - - Show Bio

Roy hadn't been used so much in years, just saying

I vote yes

on a sidenote:

The real reason why Roy is cool

#5 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio
Vance Astro said:
"Isn't being Red Arrow just a change of name? It's not like he gets new powers because his name is no longer arsenal....Dating Hawgirl is pretty lame but I doubt it will take anything away from Roy."
Yes, but it cuts away the entire point of Arsenal: To get out from under Ollie's shadow and to become his own man. Which he did and was.
#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawkingbird said:
"Vance Astro said:
"Isn't being Red Arrow just a change of name? It's not like he gets new powers because his name is no longer arsenal....Dating Hawgirl is pretty lame but I doubt it will take anything away from Roy."
Yes, but it cuts away the entire point of Arsenal: To get out from under Ollie's shadow and to become his own man. Which he did and was."
Even as Arsenal..he was still a little GA too me.
#7 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Really? What makes you say that?

#8 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawkingbird said:
"Really? What makes you say that?"
Roy is to Ollie what Nightwing is to Batman.Sure they are different in some ways but no matter how different Dick becomes I always remember him as Robin..the little guy who wanted to be like Bats so much.I feel the same about Roy.
#9 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

A big part of why I like Dick is because he's not like Batman. Same with Roy.

#10 Edited by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawkingbird said:
"A big part of why I like Dick is because he's not like Batman. Same with Roy.
"
There is definately plenty of similarities between Batman & Grayson.Either way..Roy is still the same guy whether he's Red Arrow or Arsenal.Just like if Nightwing becomes Batman..you will still be able to tell the difference between Dick and Bruce.
#11 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, but the entire point of him becoming Nightwing was so that he wouldn't become Batman.

#12 Posted by Vance Astro (91122 posts) - - Show Bio
Hawkingbird said:
"Yes, but the entire point of him becoming Nightwing was so that he wouldn't become Batman.
The name doesn't matter.Dick Grayson is still his own man and so is Roy Harper.
#13 Posted by Hawkingbird (350 posts) - - Show Bio

He's not his own man if he's falling back into his father's shadow.

#14 Posted by Robin421 (3 posts) - - Show Bio

You guys are focusing too much on the fact that he changed his name to Red Arrow. Roy had so many more mentors than just Oliver Queen, and he gives credit to his elevation to, not Oliver Queen, but Dinah Lance, the Black Canary. Red Arrow is simply a name that he goes by, choosing to honor the name that his former mentor created. Roy is making Red Arrow his own, rather than simply falling back into the shadow created by the Green Arrow.

#15 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

why did he quit her team then?

#16 Posted by StaticJames (29 posts) - - Show Bio
pixelized said:
why did he quit her team then?

Yeah seriously he dropped out of the JLA, Thats why i'm disapointed in him.
#17 Posted by Lokein.Lyesmith (37 posts) - - Show Bio

I think taking the name Red Arrow and stepping into the JLA was big step for Roy, as a person. He wasn't caring about not becoming Green Arrow. He -knows- he's his own man, a person of worth and someone to take notice of, outside of standing next to GA. Taking the name Red Arrow proves that. It's a nice homage to his mentor. He now feels like he can take a name like that, a look like that, and make it his own. 

As for dating Kendra? Makes a good story. Doomed to fail, but it's that kind of drama that brings us back. 

I love Roy. Him being a single-dad super-hero? Effin' A, dude. Finally someone to relate to in a world of picture-perfect super-heroes.

#18 Edited by cjhanz (178 posts) - - Show Bio

roy was mean on the jla he needed more action and backstory ya no they focused to much on other characters like u used to always see roy on the side with his bow not realy doing all that much. plus he just recently got his arm riped off that sucks  

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.