Should CV have a restricted zone for naked comic book characters or ones with dicey names?

#1 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
#2 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I think you should be able to check off on your profile whether or not you want those pages to be viewable by yourself but it doesn't bother me personally

Moderator
#3 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio

the problem with that is how do you make sure that the people viewing the pages are of legal age?

#4 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself:

I don't know. That's why my first answer was, "Yes...if it can be done."
#5 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio

the only way that I can think of to properly ensure that no underagers were viewing it would be to enter credit card information....not saying that it should be a pay site but that if you enter the credit card information the ensures that you're atleast 18

#6 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

By no means am i a prude, but i don't see the point in having naked pictures of comic characters on the site.

Moderator
#7 Posted by sora_thekey (8152 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
"By no means am i a prude, but i don't see the point in having naked pictures of comic characters on the site. "

I agree...
Moderator
#8 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio

I was trying to give myself lettering credits, but some of the stuff that I've lettered have naked people on the covers.  Therefore, I can't give those comics a page, since I have to put up an image to start a new page.

#9 Posted by danhimself (22286 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
"By no means am i a prude, but i don't see the point in having naked pictures of comic characters on the site. "

i don't think that's what she means....i think that she means a section for adult comics not fan art
#10 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it would be a good idea in theory, but it may be difficult since a lot of kids lie about their age.

#11 Posted by War Killer (19980 posts) - - Show Bio
@sora_thekey said:
"@pixelized said:
"By no means am i a prude, but i don't see the point in having naked pictures of comic characters on the site. "
I agree... "
I agree as well...this isn't a porn site, its a comicbook site
#12 Posted by Hawk (15833 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized said:
" By no means am i a prude, but i don't see the point in having naked pictures of comic characters on the site. "
I agree.
#13 Posted by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself said:
" @pixelized said:
"By no means am i a prude, but i don't see the point in having naked pictures of comic characters on the site. "
i don't think that's what she means....i think that she means a section for adult comics not fan art "
Just post the clean pictures. 
Moderator
#14 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
" I was trying to give myself lettering credits, but some of the stuff that I've lettered have naked people on the covers.  Therefore, I can't give those comics a page, since I have to put up an image to start a new page. "
you are actually allowed to give those comics pages, this is a comic book database therefore all published comics are allowed...we just don't display the "adult" comics on the front page and what-not
Moderator
#15 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

yeah if you look there are definitely some naughty comics on here, some have parts blurred but others don't. I agree with Aztek, if it is a comic, it should be here. I think you should just censor the covers or character pictures (if there aren't any that are clean)

Moderator
#16 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio

I'd like to point out that those solicits G-Man posts for upcoming comics contain adult titles (though we never spotlight those issues)...we've had adult comics (Herogasm) reviewed on this site and heck, the biggest movie in a while (Watchmen) has a naked blue guy as one of it's protagonists! nudity and comics are one, most of the greatest artworks are honestly just porn, comics are just stories with art, the two are one in the same...why the pictures in Lady Death's gallery are considered fine or Power Girl's but a nude picture of Lucifer is suddenly bad makes no sense to me.

Moderator
#17 Edited by pixelized (62882 posts) - - Show Bio

because the guys that enjoy lady death's images don't want to see lucifer's?

Moderator
#18 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio
@pixelized: i may not want to see a naked man but i have also seen some women pictures I'd rather not look at either
Moderator
#19 Posted by No_Name_ (17403 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost said:
" I'd like to point out that those solicits G-Man posts for upcoming comics contain adult titles (though we never spotlight those issues)...we've had adult comics (Herogasm) reviewed on this site and heck, the biggest movie in a while (Watchmen) has a naked blue guy as one of it's protagonists! nudity and comics are one, most of the greatest artworks are honestly just porn, comics are just stories with art, the two are one in the same...why the pictures in Lady Death's gallery are considered fine or Power Girl's but a nude picture of Lucifer is suddenly bad makes no sense to me. "
Some comics that contain nudity, however, are pornographic. There is a tasteful way to do it, and I don't believe herogasm is at all, tasteful.
#20 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" @aztek the lost said:
" I'd like to point out that those solicits G-Man posts for upcoming comics contain adult titles (though we never spotlight those issues)...we've had adult comics (Herogasm) reviewed on this site and heck, the biggest movie in a while (Watchmen) has a naked blue guy as one of it's protagonists! nudity and comics are one, most of the greatest artworks are honestly just porn, comics are just stories with art, the two are one in the same...why the pictures in Lady Death's gallery are considered fine or Power Girl's but a nude picture of Lucifer is suddenly bad makes no sense to me. "
Some comics that contain nudity, however, are pornographic. There is a tasteful way to do it, and I don't believe herogasm is at all, tasteful. "
I'm not saying Herogasm is tasteful, funny, but not tasteful, I was saying that the point is those comics are read by regular people including our staff so to say they have no place on this site is ludicrous
Moderator
#21 Posted by Korg (11931 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs said:
" I don't believe herogasm is at all, tasteful. "
In all fairness, it's not supposed to be at all tasteful. It's Garth Ennis.
#22 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio

lol what's dicey names mean?

#23 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Korg said:
" @Babs said:
" I don't believe herogasm is at all, tasteful. "
In all fairness, it's not supposed to be at all tasteful. It's Garth Ennis. "
exactly! I mean Preacher is far from tasteful yet it's considered one of the great comics...
Moderator
#24 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio

Tarot is on Vine.

#25 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@DH69 said:
" lol what's dicey names mean? "

A dicey name is a character named $#@&-wad... for example.
#26 Edited by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

something makes me think Penthouse Comix is probably not too tasteful

Moderator
#27 Posted by DH69 (4258 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
"@DH69 said:
" lol what's dicey names mean? "

A dicey name is a character named $#@&-wad... for example."

ohhhhhh gotcha
#28 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
" @DH69 said:
" lol what's dicey names mean? "

A dicey name is a character named $#@&-wad... for example. "
or F@ckwit and Sh!thead, characters featured in Wanted
Moderator
#29 Posted by EisforExtinction (1909 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
" @DH69 said:
" lol what's dicey names mean? "

A dicey name is a character named $#@&-wad... for example. "
I'm thinking $#@&-wad needs a character page.
#30 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio

From what Roxanne said, it seems that she can't add an issue unless she adds a cover with it.  So, would it therefore be acceptable to add something with blacked out areas of nudity (this reminds me of the 'black bar generator' from Futurama ;) ??


I think Restricted Access could be done, but the reality of putting it into practise would be a lot more tricky.  My main concern is that if parents freak out over MJ being too sexy in Spider-Man that any comics which are purposefully pornographic would make them hit the roof.  And unlike Herogasm, Roxanne's talking about comics that feature nudity on the cover, so they would need some sort of censorship or restrictive access.

(She's just a dirty ol' perv, really ;)
Moderator
#31 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio

it all seems like a lot of work for comics I have no interest in looking at

Moderator
#32 Posted by BKole (497 posts) - - Show Bio

I definatly think that we need to have these comics here. Look at the vast majority of what Avatar Produces. Porno Varients, etc.

I'm not suggesting we have that sort of Porno covers etc, but I think it needs to be represented because frankly, if you have Superman, you've got to have the opposite end of the spectrum. It say's Comicbook database, not Superhero database. Take the nude with the prude.

Look at David Quinn's Faust series? Not only is it brilliantly written and drawn with intelligence, elegance and detail, it's also got a boat load of nudity and scenes that people of a fragile disposition might find offensive. I reckon, it's needed, otherwise you're censoring brilliant comics.

Again, Heavy Metal, it has some naff bits, but it has some amazing bits. Nudity is just nudity. Theres nothing inherantly wrong with being nude. Everything bar humans are nude anyway.

#33 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
"(She's just a dirty ol' perv, really ;) "
You and me both, xerox-kitty! LOL!

This thread is starting to annoy me because everyone is here instead of checking out my sketches of the week. :(
#34 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@BKole said:
" I definatly think that we need to have these comics here. Look at the vast majority of what Avatar Produces. Porno Varients, etc.I'm not suggesting we have that sort of Porno covers etc, but I think it needs to be represented because frankly, if you have Superman, you've got to have the opposite end of the spectrum. It say's Comicbook database, not Superhero database. Take the nude with the prude.Look at David Quinn's Faust series? Not only is it brilliantly written and drawn with intelligence, elegance and detail, it's also got a boat load of nudity and scenes that people of a fragile disposition might find offensive. I reckon, it's needed, otherwise you're censoring brilliant comics.Again, Heavy Metal, it has some naff bits, but it has some amazing bits. Nudity is just nudity. Theres nothing inherantly wrong with being nude. Everything bar humans are nude anyway. "
I love this post! Brilliantly stated. But I do believe the problem here is not whether or not the comics should be allowed on the database, the problem is some people don't want that when they view the site and I believe pages should be flagged so that you can only view them by checking something on your profile (that is by default turned off), that way no one could complain
Moderator
#35 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
"(She's just a dirty ol' perv, really ;) "
You and me both, xerox-kitty! LOL!This thread is starting to annoy me because everyone is here instead of checking out my sketches of the week. :( "
Who, me? Why?  What's Aztek been saying...? ;D

You need a shameless plug... SKETCHES OF THE WEEK!!
Moderator
#36 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio

dicey names eh? well how about this guy

#37 Posted by jloneblackheart (5496 posts) - - Show Bio
@Emperor Gonzo Noir: I think that counts a dicey, and it also revealed to me that there are some others with 'similar' names
Moderator
#38 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (19714 posts) - - Show Bio
@jloneblackheart:
well chances are that i know who they are
#39 Posted by aztek_the_lost (28224 posts) - - Show Bio
@xerox-kitty said:
" @Roxanne Starr said:
" @xerox-kitty said:
"(She's just a dirty ol' perv, really ;) "
You and me both, xerox-kitty! LOL!This thread is starting to annoy me because everyone is here instead of checking out my sketches of the week. :( "
Who, me? Why?  What's Aztek been saying...? ;D

You need a shameless plug... SKETCHES OF THE WEEK!!
"
:O

you accuse me???

I'm not the one who confessed to "reading" that X-Men stuff, it was all you!
Moderator
#40 Posted by xerox_kitty (15761 posts) - - Show Bio
@aztek the lost: Heh heh... It was like a car crash, I just couldn't turn away!  Anyway, it was badly written (and drawn).  I used to work in a shop that sold Milo Manara books and I had to seal them in plastic bags.  I once caught little kids trying to open them, and had to snatch them away before they could see anything... The same with some older dodgy manga as well.  Little kids just want to be nosy, but they shouldn't see some of those things.
Moderator
#41 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@Babs:

Aztek and I will work in tandem to get those pages up with tasteful covers (even if means censoring some naughty bits), so I can get my credits and we can both get some points.

Unfortunately, I will not have the time to do the scanning until next weekend. But that gives everyone on this thread something to look forward to. :D
#42 Posted by Primmaster64 (21138 posts) - - Show Bio

HMmm

#43 Posted by YuggieCoin (29 posts) - - Show Bio
@Roxanne Starr said:
" I was trying to give myself lettering credits, but some of the stuff that I've lettered have naked people on the covers.  Therefore, I can't give those comics a page, since I have to put up an image to start a new page. "
They can censor out the bobs and private parts, or upload a more family friendly cover
#44 Posted by Roxanne Starr (9093 posts) - - Show Bio
@YuggieCoin: 
 
Hi, Yuggie!
 
Actually it's been awhile since I came to Comicvine for the express purpose of racking up wiki points, but I'll keep that in mind.
 
For quite awhile now, I've been spending most of my time here designing covers for my Pulp Fiction thread. :)

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.