Follow

Rorschach

Character » Rorschach appears in 118 issues.

A violent, noir detective/anti-hero and the chief protagonist of the "Watchmen" series. With a black-and-white worldview and an uncompromising moral code, Rorschach is well-known among criminals as the terror of the underworld.

Rorschachs Tears?.....(SPOILERS!!!!)

Avatar image for doctormidnite123
    doctormidnite123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By doctormidnite123

In the end of watchmen when doc Manhatten explodes Rorschach we see the pannel of Rorschach pulling of his mask screaming "DO IT!!!!" but he also has tears streaming down his face. What I was always curious about was, what were his tears for? Was it because he knew he was starring death in the face? or was it because of his realization of all the people the Ozymandias had just killed and it upsets him so much that he cries? Or maybe someone else has a different theory. I hope someone can answer this question for me cause its been bugging me for some time! Thanks everyone on the vine, I hope someone will clear this up for me

Acheron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By Acheron

I think he was just crying because he was pissed.

Although I think that he knew that things would work out his way in the end.

wallyallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By wallyallen

I think that he was crying because all of the people he had believed in turned their back on him and he has to face that sometimes justice isnt black and white

John Valentine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By John Valentine
    wallyallen said:
    "I think that he was crying because all of the people he had believed in turned their back on him and he has to face that sometimes justice isnt black and white"
    WOW, that was deep.
    wallyallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By wallyallen

bwahaha

The_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#6  Edited By The_Martian
    wallyallen said:
    "I think that he was crying because all of the people he had believed in turned their back on him and he has to face that sometimes justice isnt black and white"
    Something along this line
    speedlgt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#7  Edited By speedlgt
    wallyallen said:

this and that he knew a "friend" was going to kill him
    Avatar image for masterofreality71
    MasterOfReality71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MasterOfReality71

I believe Rorschach was crying as soon as he left Karnak, or even during the mutual agreement to keep quiet.  It's the final transition of his character.  Throughout the book he expresses few emotions on his face, and his mask is much more expressive.  But once he escapes from prison (specifically when the blood is sprayed upon him) he gradually becomes more of Walter and less of Rorschach.  Because his becoming of Rorschach was marked with him being splattered with blood, and getting sprayed again reversed it, so to speak.  At the end he removes his mask to show his own emotions on his true face and to die as Kovacs, not as the monster Rorschach. 

Avatar image for silver_knight75
    Silver Knight75

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 10

#9  Edited By Silver Knight75
    @MasterOfReality71 said:
    "I believe Rorschach was crying as soon as he left Karnak, or even during the mutual agreement to keep quiet.  It's the final transition of his character.  Throughout the book he expresses few emotions on his face, and his mask is much more expressive.  But once he escapes from prison (specifically when the blood is sprayed upon him) he gradually becomes more of Walter and less of Rorschach.  Because his becoming of Rorschach was marked with him being splattered with blood, and getting sprayed again reversed it, so to speak.  At the end he removes his mask to show his own emotions on his true face and to die as Kovacs, not as the monster Rorschach.  "

wow. nice theory
    ARMIV

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By ARMIV
    @MasterOfReality71 said:
    " I believe Rorschach was crying as soon as he left Karnak, or even during the mutual agreement to keep quiet.  It's the final transition of his character.  Throughout the book he expresses few emotions on his face, and his mask is much more expressive.  But once he escapes from prison (specifically when the blood is sprayed upon him) he gradually becomes more of Walter and less of Rorschach.  Because his becoming of Rorschach was marked with him being splattered with blood, and getting sprayed again reversed it, so to speak.  At the end he removes his mask to show his own emotions on his true face and to die as Kovacs, not as the monster Rorschach.  "
    ...That's pretty cool thinking!
    MasterOfReality71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@speedlgt said:
    " wallyallen said:
    this and that he knew a "friend" was going to kill him "
    Alan Moore said that Rorschach was in great psychological pain and wanted death, but a proud death.

I don't think Rorschach was at all upset about being killed.  In fact, Manhattan offers him mercy and Rorschach orders him to kill him.
    warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#12  Edited By warlock360
    @doctormidnite123 said:
    "

In the end of watchmen when doc Manhatten explodes Rorschach we see the pannel of Rorschach pulling of his mask screaming "DO IT!!!!" but he also has tears streaming down his face. What I was always curious about was, what were his tears for? Was it because he knew he was starring death in the face? or was it because of his realization of all the people the Ozymandias had just killed and it upsets him so much that he cries? Or maybe someone else has a different theory. I hope someone can answer this question for me cause its been bugging me for some time! Thanks everyone on the vine, I hope someone will clear this up for me

"
    In the end Rorschach won, his Journal was delivered and directly put into the news, his death made the truth possible. (wasn't shown in the movie though only inclined)
    Phorqe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#13  Edited By Phorqe

I think he was crying because he not only accepted his death, he wanted it. He had a death wish. He could have easily left and acted like he wasn't going to tell anyone, waited for Manhattan to leave earth and drop a dime. Instead he told the most powerful being in the known universe that he was going to rat out a man that prevented the war. Walter Kovatz died years before this, it was just a matter of time before Rorshach caught up.

warlock360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#14  Edited By warlock360

And i agree with Phorqe (First user i ever met on here) on this one

orsonkidd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By orsonkidd

He realized that he no longer had a place in the "utopia" that was to be created by the "joke" Ozy played on the world. I think his tears were of frustration, or joy depending on how you view his enjoyment of his job.

TheGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By TheGuy
    @doctormidnite123: Rorschach wasn't crying, he never would. Kovacs in the small amount of lucidity he gained by being faced with death enabled him to again confront emotion, and because of the position he was put in, he felt sorrow. It was a natural progression ever since he had reunited with Nite Owl. He grew more and more responsive to him, his possibly only friend.
    MasterOfReality71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Voidheart said:
    " @doctormidnite123 said:
    "

"
    In the end Rorschach won, his Journal was delivered and directly put into the news, his death made the truth possible. (wasn't shown in the movie though only inclined) "
    It's implied in the book too.  The book also gives it a sort of ultimatum, that if Seymour didn't grab it the book would be incinerated. 

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.