WHY? Just WHY?

#1 Posted by kingoftheworld (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Was there really a need for Romulus?
#2 Posted by TypingKira (3509 posts) - - Show Bio

Yes, so he could be a sexy beast and kick Wolverine's metal plated butt. 

#3 Edited by infonation (1665 posts) - - Show Bio

@TypingKira: Wolverine doesn't have metal ON his butt! He has metal IN it! It's why he nver complains about breaking his cocsix whenever he lands on it! LOL (Of course it would just heal up again pretty quickly if it did so it wouldn't be so bad.)

#4 Posted by GothikKnight (60 posts) - - Show Bio

I kind of like the character so far.

Only aspect I dislike is the Lupus Sapiens part. I'd rather see him as just another ancient Mutant. Maybe a progenator of all the "feral" mutants. Heck, we might find out, wolverine is really a clone of romulus or one his sons.

Who knows.

#5 Posted by royale_with_cheese (747 posts) - - Show Bio

They could have at least made him look different from Wolverine......I mean really, was there need for another clawed character after Daken and X-23?

#6 Posted by GothikKnight (60 posts) - - Show Bio

Well, the looks comes from, he has a unrevealed connection to Wolverine.

Clairmont himself said he originally intended Sabertooth to be wolverine's father. And that the Sabertooth we have seen in the 70s, 80s, 90s+ was actually a Clone and much weaker than the real deal. Later writers kinda screwed up his plans for the characters. Then we got handed the aweful Wolverine Origin story, giving wolverine a full name,etc....

I kinda see Romulus as someone's attempt to try and bring the orginial vision to reality their way. But it seem the writer is also using the rumored (and false) intent for Wolverine to be a mutated wolverine also for some reason. But the new writer uses the Lupine Sapiens instead of wolverine mutant. I can agree with using a new Original Founder Figure for wolverine and sabertooth, and maybe even Omega Red. But the Lupine part I dislike.

If we find out that Sabertooth is really a clone of Romulus, then that is cool with me. If we find out that Sabertooth or Romulus is actually wolverine's father, then that is cool too.

I've been reading comics since the 70s. I followed Clairemonts story for Wolverine for years, and read his interviews for his vision of Wolverine's origin/past. I would not mind to see some of it finally relised at last.

#7 Posted by DEGRAAF (7870 posts) - - Show Bio

@royale_with_cheese said:

They could have at least made him look different from Wolverine......I mean really, was there need for another clawed character after Daken and X-23?

obviously this is late but he always looked more like Sabretooth and Romulus' claws were just connected to his gloves.

@GothikKnight said:

Well, the looks comes from, he has a unrevealed connection to Wolverine.

Clairmont himself said he originally intended Sabertooth to be wolverine's father. And that the Sabertooth we have seen in the 70s, 80s, 90s+ was actually a Clone and much weaker than the real deal. Later writers kinda screwed up his plans for the characters. Then we got handed the aweful Wolverine Origin story, giving wolverine a full name,etc....

I kinda see Romulus as someone's attempt to try and bring the orginial vision to reality their way. But it seem the writer is also using the rumored (and false) intent for Wolverine to be a mutated wolverine also for some reason. But the new writer uses the Lupine Sapiens instead of wolverine mutant. I can agree with using a new Original Founder Figure for wolverine and sabertooth, and maybe even Omega Red. But the Lupine part I dislike.

If we find out that Sabertooth is really a clone of Romulus, then that is cool with me. If we find out that Sabertooth or Romulus is actually wolverine's father, then that is cool too.

I've been reading comics since the 70s. I followed Clairemonts story for Wolverine for years, and read his interviews for his vision of Wolverine's origin/past. I would not mind to see some of it finally relised at last.

personally i actually liked Romulus as well as the Lupine sapien story. While the lupien thing pissed me off at first i am ok with it now. Also i believe that they are supposed to be from bears of wolves or something.

I would be ok with Sabretooth being a clone of Romulus or Romulus being a distant relative of theirs (grandpa, great grandpa or something like that) I always saw Wolverine and Sabretooth as siblings (brothers, cousins, half-brothers). I would not like Sabretooth as Wolverines father but i wouldnt mind Romulus being father of both of them.

#8 Posted by kingoftheworld (254 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a waste of time. All he did was cause one eye roll after another.

#9 Posted by HopesummersFORtheFUTURE (2767 posts) - - Show Bio

why does romulus look like an older wolverine maybe his dog logan

#10 Posted by lykopis (10756 posts) - - Show Bio

@kingoftheworld said:

Just a waste of time. All he did was cause one eye roll after another.

This.

The whole concept of Romulus was ridiculous from the outset. Lupine race -- metal claw gloves --- rule the world --- Daken abusing owl-faced creep.

Everything --- absolutely everything to do with Romulus is a gigantic joke.

#11 Posted by VampireSelektor (749 posts) - - Show Bio

Marvel made a misstep by never resolving Romulus' identity. I sort of hoped that Romulus was actually John Howlett, Jr. My scenario was that John was shot and buried when his powers manifested. Instead of dying, his mutation reacted drastically, boosting his abilities beyond the development of his brother(s). As time moves on, John increases in power, gaining attributes that human mystics (Sufis, Hindus, Buddhists) earn through prayer, such as telepathy. Essentially, he's an Ubermensch. Meanwhile, John nurses a hatred for his family for abandoning him, but takes a particular interest in his brother James. John watches over James, following his ousting from the mansion to his days in the wild to his own debut on-panel. John resents James for developing into the warrior he wishes could be, modified with adamantium claws and feared for his reputation. Let's say that John is the intellect to Wolverine's brawn. Yes, Wolverine is a well-read, highly intelligent man with loads of life experience, but John is a brilliant scientific mind. John studies his own physiology, gaining insights into the X-gene possibly aided by his own mutation, but his feral nature pales compared to Wolverine's berserker moments. In his mind, Wolverine makes him look like a wimp. That's why he wears artificial claws to fool opponents. He's not a warrior, but he is a manipulator, a keen one at that, who knows how to immerse himself in darker parts of government works (Weapon X) and draft the right people (e.g. Cyber, Daken). John notices Wolverine, notices Sabertooth, and seeks to assert himself as the alpha male to care for his ego. At this end, he takes on the name "Romulus", and leaves a mental suggestions in the minds of younger ferals - "I am what you will become" - to establish a fear of him in their subconsciouses. "Romulus" also cultivates his appearance to evoke the "grandmaster" look as well.

#12 Posted by kingoftheworld (254 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: Exactly

#13 Posted by _slim_ (13067 posts) - - Show Bio

I was never too fond of Romulus.

#14 Edited by JoeEddie (483 posts) - - Show Bio

@gothikknight said:

I dislike is the Lupus Sapiens part. I'd rather see him as just another ancient Mutant.

No, he is not needed.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.