Follow

Romulus

Character » Romulus appears in 176 issues.

Little is known about Romulus. He has been shown, however, to be extremely intelligent with connections with various governments and government programs. Romulus was ultimately behind the Weapon X Program. Given his great lifespan, and the few instances revealed about his past, Romulus is an exceptional warrior, planner and tactician.

Who is Romulus?

DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By DFChewie

So, does anyone agree that Romulus might possibly actually be John Howlett, Wolverine's long-lost brother? I just re-read Wolverine: The End, and John's motives and modus operandi seem very reminiscent of Romulus's. If so, all of Wolverine's flash-backs from the Evolution arc would be retconned to be being Romulus's past lives, the way they were Logan and Creed's past lives.

It would make sense. John claimed to be the first of their kind (meaning Weapon X creations in context), and claimed that he had been following and manipulating Wolverine for 185 years. Wolverine is also stated in the series to be 210 years old, so John has been tracking him sense approx. 1923 or earlier. It could be that the experiments performed on John were the jump-start that began what eventually became Project: Rebirth, which created Captain America (currently the canonical Weapon I) in 1940.

Since Wolverine: The End takes place (at least, I think it does) in an alternate future, and not a parallel reality, that means that up until some point of divergence, it has a shared history with Earth-616, meaning that John Howlett-616 could be alive without any retcon necessary. It doesn't quite line up, timeline wise, with Romulus being responsible for Silas Burr and the Hudson training camp in 1912, but this could be fudged over (especially if it's written by Daniel Way, who had Daken being born in 1946, which was "four years" after the end of World War II; had Logan meet and train Natasha Romanov after leaving Jasmine Falls, which was after Daken had been born; and had Logan meeting Natasha for the second time in 1941).

Anyway, I just wanted to open this up for discussion.

(In an interesting side note, John also mentions in Wolverine: The End #6 that Logan had a son he was unaware of who possessed mutant powers similar to their own, which surprised Logan, because he thought none of his children had mutant powers; if John is Romulus, then this son becomes Daken.)

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2  Edited By cennobite

What I think is that since Romulus is seemingly a master of genetics, better than Charles Xavier or Sinister, Wolverine is his clone.

blade hunter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 8

#3  Edited By blade hunter

keep reading the wolverine: orgin arc because we'r goin find out in issue 37. ur theory makes sence but romulus has been alive for what seems well over 1000 years it could not be John Howlett because he is only around 10 years older than logan.

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By cennobite

Well after all the build up he has had so far Romulus better be impressive and if he is hopefully he will be a major character and they don't kill him off.

Avatar image for giuseppe_riccadonna
    Giuseppe Riccadonna

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

blade hunter said:
    "keep reading the wolverine: orgin arc because we'r goin find out in issue 37. ur theory makes sence but romulus has been alive for what seems well over 1000 years it could not be John Howlett because he is only around 10 years older than logan."
    Much longer. Romulus was  a Roman empire at one point.
    kheranlord12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 7

#6  Edited By kheranlord12

Anyone has wolverine origins #37

vlong212

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By vlong212
    goldenkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By goldenkey
    @vlong212 said:
    "Hey guys. I think the creator are trying to tie his origins to the founder of ancient Rome. Read the following:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Romulus_and_Remus "

I thought that too, especialy after reading about the bonde and dark haired pairs of the pack and only one winner, which is the classic story of Romulus and Reemus.  But in the mytholgy Romulus doesn't kill his brother a circle of crows or birds symbolized Romulus being the winner so doesn this mean that somewhere down the line a blonde head Romulus is gonna show himself?  So far he's badass, and a combo of Sabretooth and Wolverine with the size of Sabretooth and his claws with Wolverines claws.  But the pic from orgins 39 looks like he has only 3 fingers. 
    onigamegeek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By onigamegeek

Maybe Romulus had offspring during the time he's been alive... I mean if I was a guy like him, and I knew I'd out live my spouses/ mates, yeah I'd have a few kids. And maybe he's had a few one night stands, a guy can't be alone all the time. Probably through these offspring, even though there's a chance that their offspring might not be mutants, maybe down the line it skips generations. Maybe it skipped John Howlett's father and hit him and he passed it on the James. And wasn't Wolverine born in the late 1800s to middle of the 19th century? Romulus is thousands of years old, he's probably one of Wolverine's ancestors. If not, then why was he making Wolverine, Sabretooth, WildChild, and other lupine mutant fight for his position?

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Watch Dog

I think he's Wolverine's grand father.

raidenexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By raidenexe

He could be wolverine himself. He says "I am what you will become".
    BLACKLION3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#12  Edited By BLACKLION3

i THINK ROMULUS IS THOMAS LOGAN FROM WOLVERINE ORIGINS.NO ONE HAS SEEN NOR HEARD FROM HIM SINCE THEN.AND IF HE IS IN FACT WOLVERINES FATHER,WOULDNT HE HAVE THAT SAME HEALING FACTOR(NOT TO MENTION THE UNCANNY LIKENESS.

Watch Dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Watch Dog
    @BLACKLION3: Not all mutie kid have the same powers as there parents just look at Quick Silver and The Scarlet Witch there dad is Magneto. 
    Agent Buttons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 4

#14  Edited By Agent Buttons
    @Watch Dog said:
    " @BLACKLION3: Not all mutie kid have the same powers as there parents just look at Quick Silver and The Scarlet Witch there dad is Magneto.  "

good point
    BLACKLION3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By BLACKLION3

Touche'

BLACKLION3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By BLACKLION3

Or what if he's like from the@raidenexe: Kinda like Maestro being the hulk from the future. Right?

raidenexe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By raidenexe

Or like Kessler from the Infamous video game
    Typesbeast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Typesbeast

Romulus is the first of Wolverine's race it is discovered sabertooth wolverine daken romulus wild child and a few others evolved from wolves not from apes so Romulus was the first and he wants Wolverine to be the leader of the pack since he is getting old and not up to it anymore much like how a real wolf pack would function.  Also Romulus isn't all hes made to be read the newest origins comic titled Romulus conclusion. You are in for a suprise and yes he has only 3 fingers

cennobite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By cennobite

Nope four fingers check the latest his latest photos, it only looked like he has three fingers because one was folded down.

India Maison

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By India Maison

@onigamegeek said:

"Maybe Romulus had offspring during the time he's been alive... I mean if I was a guy like him, and I knew I'd out live my spouses/ mates, yeah I'd have a few kids. And maybe he's had a few one night stands, a guy can't be alone all the time. Probably through these offspring, even though there's a chance that their offspring might not be mutants, maybe down the line it skips generations. Maybe it skipped John Howlett's father and hit him and he passed it on the James. And wasn't Wolverine born in the late 1800s to middle of the 19th century? Romulus is thousands of years old, he's probably one of Wolverine's ancestors. If not, then why was he making Wolverine, Sabretooth, WildChild, and other lupine mutant fight for his position? "

I could agree with that. 
    Maybe's it like he had a kid that was the ultimate warrior, that was like lupine/mutant and wanted to replicate them, cause they died or ran away or ripped Rom's guts out in a fit of madness.  
    Just my gory theory
    Avatar image for william_parcell
    William Parcell

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By William Parcell

I think he is either the ancient ancestor of both Wolverine and Sabertooth, Jhon Howlett who has been munipulating events of Logan's life all this time, or he is Dog who is still hungry for revenge against Logan from the events of Origin - of course if he does turn out to be Dog that would meen the theory about Sabertooth being Dog would be incorect
    Erik

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By Erik

My favorite theory in this thread so far is that Romulus is Wolverine. Wolverine also was an agent for  Landau, Luckman & Lake so he could be much older than he should be given when he was born. 

DFChewie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DFChewie

@blade hunter:
     I know this is a little late (school -- ugh), but my idea was that, just as Wolverine and Sabretooth have been reincarnated various times throughout history, so too had Romulus, and this would not be him in the same body / life he had in, say, ancient Rome. And that, somehow (probably related to Wolverine's dreams of his past lives), Romulus would simply be able to remember everything. Thus, the baby named John Howlett would simply have been his most recent body, which also happened to, yes, be only 12 years older than Wolverine's most recent body.

Mattersuit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Mattersuit

Wolverine from the future, come back with his twisted mindset of fucking with his past selfs life. He won't let Wolvie die. He'll do a big reveal sometime and turn out to be someone you never guessed, some janitor from Wolverine's high school or something.

Postacrat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Postacrat

I have a theory about Romulus, here it goes.  What if all of the dreams about the ancient battles wolverine was seeing, were actually previous ascensions for the leader of the pack.  For instance if you read Evolution every battle concluded with the death of a blond haired lupine, only after a competition much like what Romulus has been doing recently just more from the shadows.  Everything has been like a test with wolverine the prime candidate to pass, he's defeated everyone that mattered in order for him to have Romulus's position.  What if Romulus is just another one of the pack successors who battled for the position thousands of years ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c6600594117e
    deactivated-5c6600594117e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 111

User Lists: 51

Now he's very lonely.
    wbinion1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By wbinion1

After careful reading of all the comics Wolverine:Origins #37-#48, Romulus is no other than Thomas Logan,the father of John and James Howlett (Wolverine) and Victor Creed a.k.a. Dog Logan (Sabertooth) .How? 1.The facial features will tell you  all you need to know (Men ,depending on their genes ,resemble their fathers in facial features denied or not). 2. Romulus is immoral which  means he can change his appearance to look like anyone he chooses  and he made love to two women ,Elizabeth Howlett   and she had two sons, John and James (as Thomas Logan)and Victor Creed's mother( diguised as Zebadiah Creed )   3. Victor Creed's hair is actually brunette but it was sun bleached to blonde. 4. How else would Sabretooth knows Wolverine's birthday unless he was around him in the early years before they both were mutants.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.