Why does the whole Internet think Rogue's name is Marie D'Ancanto

#1 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

In the movies Rogue was just called Marie. But then I go on Marvel Comics Database and they say her full name is Marie D'Ancanto. Wikipedia, Marvel Movies Wiki, IMDb and just about everything else on the internet seems to agree. Is there something I missed?

#2 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

Her last name...

#3 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

@Decoy Elite: When was it mentioned?

#4 Posted by Decoy Elite (30041 posts) - - Show Bio

@NetSpiker said:

@Decoy Elite: When was it mentioned?

I don't know. I was just assuming...

#5 Edited by JediXMan (29679 posts) - - Show Bio

Believe the comics over the movies. Though her last name is sometimes debated on, I believe. But I am no Rogue expert.

#6 Posted by Vance Astro (91123 posts) - - Show Bio
@NetSpiker said:

In the movies Rogue was just called Marie. But then I go on Marvel Comics Database and they say her full name is Marie D'Ancanto. Wikipedia, Marvel Movies Wiki, IMDb and just about everything else on the internet seems to agree. Is there something I missed?

I was just on Marvel Database. Rogue's name "Anna Marie".Marie D'Ancanto is only the name of the movie version. In Earth-616, Marie & Rogue are two different characters.
#7 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

@lykopis: I've found the subtitles for the movie on Database of Movie Dialogs. There is no mention of Marie's surname. And I am aware that her name is Anna Marie in the comics. I'm talking about the movie version.

Maybe her surname was revealed in one of the novelization, comic adaptations or comic prequels. I haven't read those yet.

#8 Posted by CATPANEXE (9368 posts) - - Show Bio

It was the name given to her as of X2 in the films, the comic character of the same name was based off that.

#9 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

@CATPANEXE: In which scene of X2? I know it wasn't mentioned in the dialogue.

#10 Posted by AgeofHurricane (7266 posts) - - Show Bio

Wasn't Marie D'Acanto that poor girl who's parents got killed by some retarded folks in X-Treme X-Men ?

#11 Posted by fesak (7032 posts) - - Show Bio

I read somewhere that Chris Claremont created a new character with this name because he didn't want it to become Rogue's real name.

#12 Posted by NetSpiker (294 posts) - - Show Bio

@fesak: I also read that somewhere. But I still haven't found the original source for the idea that D'Ancanto is movieverse Rogue's surname. I've read X-Men Movie Prequel - Rogue and I've used Amazon's LOOK INSIDE function to search the novelizations the first and third X-Men movies. It's not there.

I suppose it might be possible that the name first appeared in some fanfic and then somehow spread all over the Web and became accepted truth. But it doesn't seem very likely.

#13 Posted by LoganRogue24 (1185 posts) - - Show Bio

i thought her last name in the comics were never revealed ik her first name in the comics is Anna Marie.
#14 Posted by PrinceIMC (5421 posts) - - Show Bio

I believe it was her name in the script even though it wasn't mentioned in the actual movie.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.