Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6611 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

Whats your take on Rogues' abilties

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By cattlebattle

I mean, do you like her with her commonly associated Ms. Marvel powerset, or just her absorbing powers.

For years, ever since her first appearance I believe  she had Ms. Marvels powers..then rose to fame through the X-Men cartoon by being the super powered "bruiser" of the team, well, she was a lot more than that, but you can't deny she was the teams powerhouse. With all of this she is more than not known for being able to fly, super strength etc..

Then, it seemed when the movie came out, Rogue just having her standard abilities became popular again, she was depowered in the comics briefly, she was this way in the X-Men Evolution animated show and Wolverine and the X-Men, now I understand she has a a great degree of control or something along those lines in the comic.

I was just curious what do you think works better for the character?

TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#3  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    I liked her 90's powerset.
    CATPANEXE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4  Edited By CATPANEXE

@Edamame said:

I personally prefer for Rogue's powers to simply be that of temporarily stealing other characters' powers. I think that helps maintain her uniqueness. I don't quite like her having Ms. Marvel's powers, even though the Rogue from the X-Men TAS (90s) was excellent.

This. I feel that she's given set powers every now and then due to writers not wanting to challenge themselves. The power to copy sets of powers and abilities in a world where your surrounded by a spectrum of people with them is heavy and interesting enough. The characterization being upheld is more key to me though then anything.

SoA

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#5  Edited By SoA

i liked the 90s version but the borrowing and using powers together , like in second coming was really cool

rogue_mar1e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#6  Edited By rogue_mar1e

@TheGoldenOne said:

Same same.

Video_Martian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7  Edited By Video_Martian

@TheGoldenOne said:

Me too...

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#8  Edited By LoganRogue24

i like both ways for diferent reasons. to me it makes no diference if shes super strong kick ass or has her own abillity shes still Rogue.

cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By cattlebattle
    @Edamame said:

I personally prefer for Rogue's powers to simply be that of temporarily stealing other characters' powers. I think that helps maintain her uniqueness. I don't quite like her having Ms. Marvel's powers, even though the Rogue from the X-Men TAS (90s) was excellent.

This is how I feel too, makes for more interesting stories I feel, For instance there was an X-Men Evolution episode where she loses it and uses all the powers she has ever absorbed...very cool stuff 

@TheGoldenOne said:

Can I ask why, is it sentimentality, or you like her being able to punch the crap out of everything...both??
    TheGoldenOne

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 12

#10  Edited By TheGoldenOne
    @cattlebattle: Both.
    Mercy_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 15

#11  Edited By Mercy_

I like her current abilities. The angsty 'I can't touch anybody' stuff had gotten really, really old.

PrinceIMC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By PrinceIMC

I prefer her without the Ms. Marvel powers. I'm happy with her now with control of her absorbing abilities.

the_stegman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#13  Edited By the_stegman  Moderator

I personally prefer for Rogue's powers to simply be that of temporarily stealing other characters' powers. I think that helps maintain her uniqueness. I don't quite like her having Ms. Marvel's powers

This...I also love how she doesn't just take superpowers, but memories, skills and information as well.
    BloodTalon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By BloodTalon

All I have to ad is Rogue is an ok character that peaked in X-treme X-men and when she lost her powers was a great story. But the way she got them back was a giant pial of BS I mean she spent at least half her time bitching about not being able to touch anybody and then all of a sudden she can after she lost her powers "hooray" and then she requests to get them back with out knowing if she would have control or not "boo" BS bad writing. Now I am not an idiot I know she would eventually get her powers back but to have her request them back was weak.

XsPectre28

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By XsPectre28

first step control over the ability to siphon @ will then eventually able to recall powers

xmenfallen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By xmenfallen

Nothing will beat the 90s version of her... and everything... thats the time when all the comics cartoons was cool...

mervotron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By mervotron

I liked when she used all of the younger mutants powers to attack during Second Coming. That was pretty sweet...

No Caption Provided
    Thirteen13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Thirteen13

I loved Rogue the most when she had Ms. Marvel's powers and acted as a flying brick and the powerhouse for the X-Man as it was great to see the Southern Belle roll up her sleeves and duke it out with and man-handle powerful super-villains. Although obviously her core ability to absorb powers, memories and so on are a good part of what make Rogue such a great character as it is both an interesting and tragic power to have.

Also, liked when she started to lose control and began to not only manifested random powers, but also combine them (i.e., Beast + Colossus = steel fur) as well as changed somewhat into the Hulk and Wolverine (with his hairstyle and attitude) to heal herself.

SC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 25

#19  Edited By SC  Moderator

For me, it depends. I liked Rogue for how original I perceived her in the comics I had. She was the team heavy hitter. Powerhouse. Tank. Colossus was as well, aside from not being able to fly, but he was huge musclebound dude. Plus made of armor lol So I liked the novelty of this this sassy, hot headed, teenage powerhouse. She wasn't wearing a flag, and she didn't have the morals of a person in their 50's. (this was young SC's view of things) lol and she still had her absorption powers and still used them, and was still badass (against Magus, Nimrod) and they do say that powers do not maketh the character, and that's true to some extent, but Rogues accentuated and aided her characteristics and personality tremendously. Whether it was her flying away in an emotional meltdown, to her being sassy and flirty as she would kiss the window pane of Air Force One during the middle of a softball game. She durability allowed her to be reckless and headstrong and was an easy way to avoid her being too powerful. She would rush into things without a proper plan. She could handle being punched into orbit... but get scared if it seemed like someone could touch her skin... great contrast, to demonstrate how such a small gesture could be so scary to someone who could have a building collapse on them and smile.  So I do like 80's Rogue (I say 80's Rogue because she had Ms Marvel's powers but they used their powers so differently, I mean, Carol had/has energy powers on top, and is a disciplined fighter, and Rogue is much more of a slugger and even the handbooks reflect that at the time she was stronger in strength - I mean... I don't really see either character weakening the other as far as originality here)  

Then, I also like current Rogue. A lot. Tricker though, as far as consistency goes. Oh and she has grown and evolved as a character personality wise. So 80's power set might just be a bit too much... there would be a crux somewhere. Rogue is smarter know, more disciplined, more cunning, more experienced and emotionally stronger. She has to be far more careful and considerate, without super durability and she isn't as fast or agile. So if she had her 80's power set now... well either her new character developed traits would be diminished, her powers would be undermined, or the plot would be strained (power balance with out characters) and right now, a good writer can still allow her moments of old (her moments against Moonstone, Children of Vault) and new twists of old class power stacking, like against Bastion, and Predator X and that Utopia monster.  

The problem though is that Rogue went though a, what I consider a horrible character period. Pre Carey. Absorption only or with Sunfire powers. So many story lines where she essentially just played the victim or was bland and dull. Woe is me. For some reason, it seems creatively, writers viewed that Rogue's best traits were ones to have readers relate and empathize with her. Wasn't Rogue much more cooler and iconic as an empowered character? Still plagued with an ability to touch or be touched, she wouldn't let that stop her from being loud, proud, sassy and stubborn, vivacious member of the X-Men. One with a soft vulnerable edge. One that did throw tantrums now and then, but one that fought against that and recognized that many other characters had it worse. Rogue who brought Gateway a sandwich cause he had been sitting out in the sun for a few days lol and so, I think there is a correlation between her powers and how she was written, even though the two things aren't linked inherently. That will continue to be my fear for the character whenever Carey is  not writing her lol 

So I like and am okay with current powers. I wouldn't be adverse to Rogue having some minor permanent powers, like durability, flight and speed, because I think that makes writers write her character better, even on a subconscious level, or barring that, a Rogue that is actually as efficient and effective as someone with her powers and a brain should/would be (Second Coming, Nightcrawlers death, Vanisher was unreliable, and Cyclops needed Pixie for himself - Rogue takes both characters powers for herself, and Boom, Hope and Nightcrawler are on Utopia hours earlier) (and I know that can't/wouldn't happen because plot logic =/= real world logic)    

@lykopis said:

I like Rogue's power as it stands now. She can absorb multiple powers at a time (limitedly if god-level) and has control. Perfect. They last for approximately 12 hours and fade, although it hasn't been made absolutely clear if she keeps memories, feelings, etc of people she purposefully siphoned.

I think her character's mutation has been put through enough already with the untouchablility and the angst. She is a A-lister that deserves to be left as is (outside of story-arc involvement). So help me if they take her control away again.

I agree with this too. Eek I saw a Q and A with an X-Men Editor last year, suggesting Rogue might lose control again eventually, but ugh. Enough with the YoYoing.   
    cattlebattle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By cattlebattle
    @SC said:
    For me, it depends. I liked Rogue for how original I perceived her in the comics I had. She was the team heavy hitter. Powerhouse. Tank. Colossus was as well, aside from not being able to fly, but he was huge musclebound dude. Plus made of armor lol So I liked the novelty of this this sassy, hot headed, teenage powerhouse. She wasn't wearing a flag, and she didn't have the morals of a person in their 50's. (this was young SC's view of things) lol and she still had her absorption powers and still used them, and was still badass (against Magus, Nimrod) and they do say that powers do not maketh the character, and that's true to some extent, but Rogues accentuated and aided her characteristics and personality tremendously. Whether it was her flying away in an emotional meltdown, to her being sassy and flirty as she would kiss the window pane of Air Force One during the middle of a softball game. She durability allowed her to be reckless and headstrong and was an easy way to avoid her being too powerful. She would rush into things without a proper plan. She could handle being punched into orbit... but get scared if it seemed like someone could touch her skin... great contrast, to demonstrate how such a small gesture could be so scary to someone who could have a building collapse on them and smile.  So I do like 80's Rogue (I say 80's Rogue because she had Ms Marvel's powers but they used their powers so differently, I mean, Carol had/has energy powers on top, and is a disciplined fighter, and Rogue is much more of a slugger and even the handbooks reflect that at the time she was stronger in strength - I mean... I don't really see either character weakening the other as far as originality here)  

I love this explanation....fills me up with warm feelings. Rogue in the eighties was special, as you explained she was a wild child...in DC comics, they have had plenty of super strong, flying invulnerable teens over the years, the problem is...they only write their personalities from a teenage standpoint most of the time, when it comes to their abilities, they are just like the rest of the adult heroes as they are noble, stoic and seem to know what they can do. Rogue was very much what any teen would be like if they had that kind of power suddenly...completely reckless, unsure if they have any limits, boasting how invulnerable they are, not sure how strong they are etc....good stuff..

However, I am sticking to my original opinion and saying that I like a "default" powered Rogue. There were some instances in a couple of X-men animated shows where she was very useful. There was an episode of the latest cartoon where she absorbs a couple of Ninja assassins and starts wielding two ninja swords and kicking butt...I thought it was neat. I just felt when she had the super strength she just had the "fight the opposing teams strong man" standard, I think her without Ms. Marvels abilities allows writers to be more creative
    Lifeguard85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#21  Edited By Lifeguard85

@Thirteen13 said:

I loved Rogue the most when she had Ms. Marvel's powers and acted as a flying brick and the powerhouse for the X-Man as it was great to see the Southern Belle roll up her sleeves and duke it out with and man-handle powerful super-villains.

This. Even now when she is using her teammates powers, she always takes some sort of flight, strength, and invulnerability. I love that she has control, but I want the sassy southern belle who will deck anyone who talks to her the wrong way...

Soulstealer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Soulstealer

@Mercy_ said:

I like her current abilities. The angsty 'I can't touch anybody' stuff had gotten really, really old.

I agree in all the ways that are possible. X-men Legacy reignited my love for Rogue in a big way and her throwing off that particular piece of writing is like one of my favorite comic moments ever.

A-Strondinaire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23  Edited By A-Strondinaire

@SC:You sir are right on this whole post, Rogue is a complex character and her powers reflect that. 80's Rogue had the power to topple buildings but she was still humble enough to put on the kid gloves with her enemies. With her Ms. Marvel power gone she sort of faded in and out of the X-Men and when appearing she was just their to state her history and regrets basically as someone stated a dull character. Now with her power under control she's just as good but she has some of the better qualities of the recent incarnations namely her humbleness of power (because honestly whats stopping her from snatching everyone's power and running off with the avengers) and her been there done that attitude that's being put to better use with the students.

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By KDarkholme

Rogue is great with her regular power and with Ms. Marvel's power I could take her either way.

Avatar image for phoenixofthetides
    PhoenixoftheTides

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Edamame said:

I agree; plus her code name revolves around this aspect of her abilities. Having Ms. Marvel's powers made her less of a "Rogue" and more of a "Tank", which made her less unique since super strength, flight and enhanced durability are so common.

oraclefyre

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By oraclefyre

I miss her being an unapologetic powerhouse. Though the last few issues of Legacy have been freakin' awesome.

Aphrodemos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By Aphrodemos

Kay, so here's my breakdown. I absolutely loved, loved, loved and still love, Rogue with her Ms. Marvel powers. I loved her confidence and sass being backed up by fists that could smash through just about anything. It allowed her to just be extremely likable. I especially loved the period in which Rogue possessed Ms. Marvel's psyche in addition to her powers, I felt that the duality of her nature made her even more complicated, mysterious, and tragic. I realize that, in order for Rogue to move on both emotionally and as a character, she had to lose these powers eventually. I didn't like admitting it, but it was true. I also liked Rogue during X-Treme X-Men. She just became one hell of a woman, fighting in ways that no one else could alone. Like before, I realized that this version of Rogue was simply too powerful, and she had to be done away with. Now for my big complaint. I absolutely, positively, with every fiber of my being and more, hated Rogue after she absorbed Sunfire's powers. Look, we all know that the only reason that Marvel even decided to make this move was because people were writing them hate mail about Rouge having lost her iconic powers during X-Treme X-Men. They needed some nobody (ahem Sunfire, ahem) for Rogue to absorb. I was thankful that character development kicked in faster this time around and they did away with these powers. I do love the current Rogue, with complete control of her powers. It feels as though she has finally come full circle, showing us that super strength, power recall and (I really hate saying this) fire were not all that she was. I do hope that her powers continue to evolve, however, simply because I want to see how creative the writers can get. All in all, I just love ROGUE as a whole (Except for Fire!Rogue, for the love of god Marvel what were you thinking?).

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By LoganRogue24

@KDarkholme: iam like you to me she could be kickass or just her natural powers as long as Rogue stays true to who she is thats all i care about.

Madame_Mist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Madame_Mist

90s was the best Rogue. Now that she can control her power, it's good for her I know, but she's lost her dangerous edge. I wish she could still use the deadly ability of absorbing people but control it.

infonation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#30  Edited By infonation

@Madame_Mist: I feel the same way, in fact, my biggest problem with the way Rogue is now is that she can't fight SENTINELS anymore! Sure she can just absorb some organic beings powers and memories to make up fpr it, but if she's on her own for some reason?... UH-OH...

Decoy Elite

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 4

#31  Edited By Decoy Elite

Prefer he being able to control her powers, but being on here own against opponents are aware of that fact. Makes for interesting fights and keeps her out of that "BWAH I CAN'T TOUCH ANYBODY" rut she's been in for waaaaay too long.

boob

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By boob

The problem with this question is I don't know. When she had MIss. Marvel's powers she was all "Pizz me off I'll shove a tank up your azz.", but at the same time a loving but tortured soul. With Sunfire's powers she was all "Pizz me off and I'll fry you like a turkey." but still had the tortured loving soul. When she had no powers she showed great street smarts and a complete wild card something that I would expect from living with Mystique and Destiny. Now with just her powers and under control. She is a whole new person. She is a mixture of street smarts and in your face. I love all of them =)

Skywalker21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Is rogue able to recall powers again or does she have a mental barrier again? I remember in X-Treme they told us that she will always have the ability to recall people she has touched. Also in Mr and Mrs X she no longer needs to touch people but I want to see her recall people. I know she would be to over powered but you can dream.

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@mervotron: i bet the kids were like hell yeah i will touch you Rogue lol.

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.