Rogue intelligent?

#1 Posted by fesak (7057 posts) - - Show Bio

Someone has put intellect as one of Rogue's powers, have i missed something? I thought she has normal intellect?

#2 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

She always reminded me of a country bumpkin. No disrespect its just how they used to portray her.

#3 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i noticed that when i was browsing for intelligent people...

weird lol

M
Post Edited:2007-08-12 19:04:40

#4 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"i noticed that when i was browsing for intelligent people...weird lolN"

N WTF?

#5 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

typo lol

M

#6 Posted by Blue_Shield (757 posts) - - Show Bio

I don't think she'd qualify to have intellect. Sure, they've had her leading in recent times, but I don't think that is necessarily translates to intellect.

#7 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Gambler says:

"She always reminded me of a country bumpkin. No disrespect its just how they used to portray her."

Yeah, I agree. I would put at average human intelligence, and I do mean average. That power should be removed from her character.

#8 Posted by Kang The Conqueror (10 posts) - - Show Bio

I removed it... waiting for the removal to be approved.

#9 Posted by Naruto Uzumaki (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Kang The Conqueror says:

"I removed it... waiting for the removal to be approved."

why remove it she probably has intelligent because of all the powersshe abosbered

#10 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

Iceman0409 says:

"Kang The Conqueror says:

why remove it she probably has intelligent because of all the powersshe abosbered"

Know of any instance where she did? All I remember her absorbing are "powers," mostly physical. It'd be cool if she could - she could break into where Einstein's brain is located and come with a unifying theory while decking Juggernaut.

#11 Posted by Naruto Uzumaki (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Superkitty says:

"Iceman0409 says:
"Kang The Conqueror says:
why remove it she probably has intelligent because of all the powersshe abosbered"
Know of any instance where she did? All I remember her absorbing are "powers," mostly physical. It'd be cool if she could - she could break into where Einstein's brain is located and come with a unifying theory while decking Juggernaut. "

i'm ust saying i thought when she absorbed a person abilites she abosered everything including brains

#12 Posted by Naruto Uzumaki (452 posts) - - Show Bio

Red L.A.M.P. says:

"De-powering characters is fine with me. The power list is supposed to be basic/normal powers or at lease obvious traits that this person excels in. Does Rogue have Intellect as a super power or at least a important characteristic? No. And only if she absorbed the power of intellect and it actually stayed with her (like flight did) would it be considered a power she had."

i think it would

#13 Posted by Red L.A.M.P. (2828 posts) - - Show Bio

De-powering characters is fine with me. The power list is supposed to be basic/normal powers or at lease obvious traits that this person excels in.

Does Rogue have Intellect as a super power or at least a important characteristic? No.

And only if she absorbed the power of intellect and it actually stayed with her (like flight did) would it be considered a power she had.

Staff
#14 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

Until she shows it...

Look at how well she lead her team of X-Men...oh wait, that didn't go so well.

Staff
#15 Posted by Blue_Shield (757 posts) - - Show Bio

Doh!

#16 Posted by Phorqe (2109 posts) - - Show Bio

She's wicked smaht!

#17 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

i didn't know she was smart

#18 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Until she shows it...What if she didn't know that she was really smart? :)
#19 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

yup, she's a genius alright...

M

#20 Posted by Constantine (16046 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p171/methosivanhoe/EMOTES/Rogue_about_Angel.jpgyup, she's a genius alright...M"

yep

#21 Posted by Buckshot (18915 posts) - - Show Bio

Those panels with Nightcrawler are funny.

#22 Posted by electric_goldfish (18 posts) - - Show Bio

Don't count the Ultimate X-Men panels there as an example of her intellect. Isn't that technically an alternate earth anyway?

As far as intellect, she has a partial law degree - so that's a bit above average. Sure, she's not Reed Richards smart, but still. She's country, and prone to bad decisions (I blame Mystique, but I digress) but not stupid.

Also, I'd have to agree that with all the minds she's absorbed that some extra intellect would have gone along with it.

#23 Posted by fesak (7057 posts) - - Show Bio

spit fire says:

"rogue has all the intelect of all the people she permantely absorbd!! besides she's smart not telepathic, and even emma didn't see it coming."

When has that been shown in comics? I've never seen hes demonstrate any feats of super-human intelligence.

#24 Posted by The_MVPs (84694 posts) - - Show Bio

spit fire says:

"rogue has all the intelect of all the people she permantely absorbd!! besides she's smart not telepathic, and even emma didn't see it coming."

Never heard that one before.

#25 Posted by Cosmic Sentinel (3749 posts) - - Show Bio

electric_goldfish says:

"Don't count the Ultimate X-Men panels there as an example of her intellect. Isn't that technically an alternate earth anyway? As far as intellect, she has a partial law degree - so that's a bit above average. Sure, she's not Reed Richards smart, but still. She's country, and prone to bad decisions (I blame Mystique, but I digress) but not stupid. Also, I'd have to agree that with all the minds she's absorbed that some extra intellect would have gone along with it. "

From a study I read a while back, they reckon that the average IQ of someone getting top grades in an undergraduate degree is 124. I'm not sure if it's changed, but I think Mensa used to require at least 137. I would say in comic book terms, people who qualify for intelligence as a power would have to be at least that smart. Mr. Terrific, Mr. Fantastic and Batman all hold multiple degrees and other fields of study, so one unfinished degree would hardly be a qualifier.

I don't know all the intellects she has permanantly absorbed, but to get that level of intellect wouldn't require lots of people, just one very smart one. You could have a hundred people in there and still not qualify as a genius because lots of average people will still come to average answers.

#26 Posted by fesak (7057 posts) - - Show Bio

Also this is pasted from the overwiew;

Rogue has gained enough control over her power to recall and use any power she's ever absorbed.

WTF? The only time she did anything like that was in X-Treme, after which her powers disappeared for a while.

I think a certain little fanboy should stop being so fanboyish.

#27 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

fesak says:

"Also this is pasted from the overwiew;*Rogue has gained enough control over her power to recall and use any power she's ever absorbed.*"

WTF?

thats a new one on me...

M

#28 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

well, whoever's the main guy on the Rogue page should do it

M

#29 Posted by Valkaad (2589 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"fesak says:
"Also this is pasted from the overwiew; *Rogue has gained enough control over her power to recall and use any power she's ever absorbed.*"
WTF? thats a new one on me... M"

That needs to be erased! IF she could do that she would be an OMEGA level mutant.

#30 Posted by fesak (7057 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"well, whoever's the main guy on the Rogue page should do itM"

I suspect he is the one who wrote it.

#31 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

heh... dunno then...

remove it yourself if you know for a fact it's wrong

M

#32 Posted by fesak (7057 posts) - - Show Bio

Methos says:

"heh... dunno then...remove it yourself if you know for a fact it's wrongM"

The whole page desperately needs an overhaul. it reads terrible, but i don't really have that interrest in the character to do it.

#33 Posted by Methos (40103 posts) - - Show Bio

i don't know the character well enough or i'd add it to my list...

M

#34 Posted by G-Man (34953 posts) - - Show Bio

Valkaad says:

"Methos says:
"fesak says:
"Also this is pasted from the overwiew; *Rogue has gained enough control over her power to recall and use any power she's ever absorbed.*"

That needs to be erased! IF she could do that she would be an OMEGA level mutant."

She got that ability for a brief time in X-Treme (ugh) X-Men when she absorbed a Skrull for too long. She lost her powers after that then somehow got them back but could only do the absorbing thing. So she had that ability but now it's gone.

Staff
#35 Posted by Superkitty (1086 posts) - - Show Bio

G-Man says:

"Valkaad says:
"Methos says:
"fesak says:

That needs to be erased! IF she could do that she would be an OMEGA level mutant."

She got that ability for a brief time in X-Treme (ugh) X-Men when she absorbed a Skrull for too long. She lost her powers after that then somehow got them back but could only do the absorbing thing. So she had that ability but now it's gone."

So every week, someone will go through the new comics Rogue is in, then add powers she gets, and subtracts any powers she loses :) Any takers?

#36 Posted by george (1 posts) - - Show Bio

I dunno, guys. I mean, she would have occasional conversations with Ms Marvel before they got torn apart. And remember that scene when she and Wolvie were in Genosha and she let Ms Marvel take over to get them out? There was a scene where, since her powers were turned off, all the residual personalities in her head were ganging up on her and Ms Marvel, the strongest since she was permanent, defended her. Doesn't that imply that she stores them forever, she just doesn't have the focus or control to call upon them at will?

On that thought, going into crazy fangirl devotee mode, I think Rogue's like Iceman. Beast says that Iceman's omega, he just chooses not to utilize his full potential. I think it's the same for Rogue. All the same, that comment should be taken down for the very reason it was just a jumpstart courtesy of Sage.

#37 Posted by Silenttiger43 (182 posts) - - Show Bio

Rogue's smart, but it's not super human. Don't let her southern accent fool you into thinking she's something like a dumb blond. I think that's a common mistake people make. Maybe if she tried really hard to bring up someone intelligent she'd absorbed before, then she'd be able to make genius, but I think since she's always trying so hard to keep control and supress everyone in her mind, that'll never happen.

Gotta be tough though. She might never have full and constant control over the powers she absorbs because that's something you'd have to practise with, and if she practised, the others minds could try take over.

Those are my thoughts, feel free to comment or correct me ^_^ I know /I/ certainly don't have super human intelligence, lol.

#38 Posted by Roguegirl (169 posts) - - Show Bio

Silenttiger43 says:

"Rogue's smart, but it's not super human. Don't let her southern accent fool you into thinking she's something like a dumb blond. I think that's a common mistake people make. Maybe if she tried really hard to bring up someone intelligent she'd absorbed before, then she'd be able to make genius, but I think since she's always trying so hard to keep control and supress everyone in her mind, that'll never happen.Gotta be tough though. She might never have full and constant control over the powers she absorbs because that's something you'd have to practise with, and if she practised, the others minds could try take over.Those are my thoughts, feel free to comment or correct me ^_^ I know /I/ certainly don't have super human intelligence, lol."

you are right..

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.