Off My Mind: Retconning Rogue's Sex Life

• 158 results
Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio

Just a tiny spoiler warning if you haven't read the Siege Epilogue, Sentry: Fallen Sun. Then again, that title and cover should have a spoiler warning if you haven't read Siege #4. In Fallen Sun, we basically have a memorial service for Sentry. For some reason we see Cyclops and Rogue there. The story of Sentry is basically he was a big part of the Marvel Universe from the beginning. He was friends with loads of characters but because of the Void, Sentry used his powers to make everyone, including himself, forget about him in order to destroy the Void.

While the heroes are talking about the Sentry, Rogue breaks down and reveals something that none of us knew.

That explains why the X-Men were there. I have to admit I was wondering as I read and figured it must have been some other connection that I simply forgot about (there was a Sentry/X-Men one-shot but it focused more on Sentry and Angel). This may not be a huge deal but it changes Rogue. We all know her story. Her powers developed the first time she kissed a boy and she put him in a coma. Rogue had to live her life without any physical contact (with the couple exceptions when she lost her powers). It may not truly matter that she might've had some hanky panky with Sentry but it just felt a little cheap and forced being mentioned here. Almost like it was just written in order to give a reason for Rogue and Cyclops to be in the issue.
== TEASER ==
If you haven't read the issue yet, you might be wondering if this really implies that they were that intimate. If the issue stopped right there on this, it would've been fine. But the next panel pretty much clarifies the whole situation.

I think it's pretty clear what they're referring to. So along with the power of a million suns, the ability to erase everyone's memory, being able to get killed and return time and time again, Sentry also had the ability to sleep with Rogue and not have her powers put him in a coma. 

I may not be the best historian when it comes to the Sentry's past but I have to wonder when this actually took place. The story was he and Reed were close friends. Reed was the best man at Sentry's wedding. When did Sentry and Rogue hook up. My impression was Bob Reynolds and Lindy would have been married early in the Marvel Universe history (as in it would've happened in the 60s or 70s, our time). Rogue isn't as old as Reed and Bob. When did they have their relationship and how old was Rogue compared to when he was married. Perhaps it's best to just not think about that, or this whole thing. 

What are your thoughts on this revelation? Do you think it changes anything about Rogue? Does it change her tortured and lonely past? Does it bother you that this is something never mentioned before and is brought up here?
#1 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio

Doesn't necessarily need to be a retcon.

#2 Posted by Morpheus_ (29696 posts) - - Show Bio
I was just conversing with Void about this. I think these two sentences of yours sum up my thoughts. 

It may not truly matter that she might've had some hanky panky with Sentry but it just felt a little cheap and forced being mentioned here. Almost like it was just written in order to give a reason for Rogue and Cyclops to be in the issue.

#3 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio

Weak sauce.

#4 Posted by Blindside002 (226 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow...I haven't read this issue yet, but this does seem REALLY cheap...Why would they feel the need to even add this in? Especially if they do not explain enough about when and why it happened. I honestly hope this is just swept under the run because this has no reason whatsoever to be a part of the MU.
#5 Posted by evilhomer (41 posts) - - Show Bio

So Sentry popped Rogues cherry?!

thats interesting i guess...

#6 Posted by mrlogical (32 posts) - - Show Bio

The only good thing about this is that, given that this is not a particularly important book, I would be shocked if any writer in the future bothered to acknowledge this as part of Rogue's story.  If major plot points that are well-remembered no longer work, writers have to go to the trouble of retconning them, but this seems like the sort of situation where it will just be ignored in any future discussion of Rogue and her relationships.

#7 Posted by 4Essence (152 posts) - - Show Bio

It's kinda like what u said about Arsenal a while ago, G-Man. This just seems like forced character development.  
Not necessary...well unless Rogue and Sentry had some kind of super baby we have yet to meet O_o
#8 Posted by Queen's Halo (2406 posts) - - Show Bio

This explains way Rogue hasn't gone crazy.

#9 Posted by FoxxFireArt (3404 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow, the Void truly is powerful if he even made the readers forget he was ever there. lol

This does feel seriously cheap to just add in that Rogue had slept with Sentry to create some sort of dramatic scene. Someone to be the the cliche crying woman at the funeral. Seeing how Bob's wife was murdered. It's as silly to me as the Emma and Namor connection Fraction pulled out of his....."hat" (I wouldn't say the other place). That they just happened to forget about that as well.

#10 Posted by DMC (1551 posts) - - Show Bio

Inserting that piece of history in Rouges past was a dumb more by Jenkins.

But what about this. Is the Void really dead? Isn't a sliver of the Void still in Cyclops brain?

#11 Posted by damswedon (499 posts) - - Show Bio

I think it just shows us that these characters are human. No matter how much you think you know someone there are always things you just won't know.

#12 Posted by Morpheus_ (29696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "

Meh, you're just mad because Remy didn't see any action. :P

@DMC said:
"  Isn't a sliver of the Void still in Cyclops brain? "

It is, but it has been contained, by his mental defences. No mentioning has been made to it since, nor has Cyclops' behaviour been affected by it, at all.
#13 Posted by ManuelPrez (124 posts) - - Show Bio

wow ...  that just seems to like a telenovela (soapopera). otherwise I find this dumb we have the sentry the man who killed ares, who can have the powers of one million exploding suns    and now the only man who had some real action with rogue. this is why I dont like the sentry
#14 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_ said:
" @Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "

lol I just hate anything regarding the Sentry. Its like he's the retarded nephew of someone important at Marvel so they keep forcing him into everything. We're suppose to be sad cause he's dead? Dude was a grade A psycho. Someone should have snuffed him out a long time ago.
#15 Posted by Chane (538 posts) - - Show Bio

That's pretty lame, I'm afraid.

#16 Posted by Morpheus_ (29696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Morpheus_ said:
" @Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "

lol I just hate anything regarding the Sentry. Its like he's the retarded nephew of someone important at Marvel so they keep forcing him into everything. We're suppose to be sad cause he's dead? Dude was a grade A psycho. Someone should have snuffed him out a long time ago. "
I think Sentry had reached a point where people could not relate to him, at all. Everything noble and heroic the character originally stood for had been replaced by his internal darkness and little else. He was literally being used as a pawn without real will of his own, as if he was a 5 year old. 

I'm not sad that he's dead. I'm sad that he died without never reaching (and actually betraying) his premise, as introduced in his original mini, which was the best series the character ever had, by the way.
#17 Posted by Jean_Luc_LeBeau (84704 posts) - - Show Bio
@Morpheus_:  He'll be back. They always come back.
#18 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Morpheus_ said:
" @Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "

lol I just hate anything regarding the Sentry. Its like he's the retarded nephew of someone important at Marvel so they keep forcing him into everything. We're suppose to be sad cause he's dead? Dude was a grade A psycho. Someone should have snuffed him out a long time ago. "
LOL
#19 Posted by Morpheus_ (29696 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Morpheus_:  He'll be back. They always come back. "
Oh, I agree. That possibility was left open in that issue, actually.
#20 Posted by strangeling (180 posts) - - Show Bio

Double ewe tee eff!?

#21 Posted by Illuminarch (244 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" @Morpheus_ said:
" @Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "

Indeed. Sentry is the only character I can think of who was simultaneously a "Mary Sue" and a neurotic villain. If I were the psycho-analyzing type, I would say that the character says some unflattering things about Bendis and Marvel Editorial.
#22 Posted by Namor1987 (1891 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow this just sounds really wack

#23 Posted by PrinceIMC (5422 posts) - - Show Bio

I guess Rogue being able to touch the Sentry is kinda like the Sentry being able to calm the Hulk back in the day. It makes those characters more sad for having forgotten the experiences so to them its like they never happened. But I do agree that the timeline doesn't really make sense cuz Bob was always with Lindy. Now if he had slept with Ms. Marvel way way back and Rogue had the memories or something still leftover maybe but....nope.

#24 Posted by CombatCraigFM (111 posts) - - Show Bio

I would care if it was a main point of the entire story but it was just a passing moment. for me it's a "Rogue had sex, good for her, moving on" kind of thing

#25 Posted by Marius138 (90 posts) - - Show Bio

Thanks for writing this G-Man, because I thought I had somehow missed some crazy story arc where Rogue and Sentry were together, and being a huge X-Men fan I was racking my brain as to where and when that could have taken place.  Now knowing that its a retcon I totally agree that it feels cheap. 

Personally I'm hoping to see Rogue get back together with Magneto.

#26 Posted by gui22 (360 posts) - - Show Bio

It was kind of forced.

#27 Posted by dondasch (921 posts) - - Show Bio

Another gimmick from the House of Gimmicks.  A much more plausible idea would have been to have this applied to when Rogue and Magneto were together, as he was the only person able to "touch" her by applying a magnetic field over his body

#28 Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio
@gui22: Hopefully not when it actually happened.

Ouch. Yeah I went there. But seriously, that's not a laughing matter.
#29 Posted by Tainted-Cell (299 posts) - - Show Bio

This is just another attempt to force the Sentry on the Marvel Universe, give him more "importance" than he really earned. Makes me think of how everything in GL mythos has been pretty much retconned and upgraded to force in Geoff Johns' ideas (I seem to be the only one who has a problem with that). And like you mentioned, G-Man, Rogue couldn't have been that old. Also consider New Avengers #24 when Bob flies up to Attilan and reveals that he had shared a relationship with Crystal.... the youngest of the Inhumans.... how old could SHE have been?

#30 Edited by A-Strondinaire (345 posts) - - Show Bio

I saw this too i was about to post it. Yeah this seemed kind of cheap and tacked on Rogue was a fiesty and spunky 17 or 19 year old and sentry was pretty old not to mention Rogue took a handful of powers from some of the best in Marvel (some that probably even could augment powers) your telling me even with those powers she was able to boom chicka wa wa with him? Somebody is not reading up on characters backstories.
#31 Posted by spiderguylll (620 posts) - - Show Bio

lol marvel wants us to care about the sentry

#32 Posted by EisforExtinction (1863 posts) - - Show Bio

Yo, Rogue likes to hug dudes. Who doesn't want to get their hug on?

#33 Posted by Bobby X (1132 posts) - - Show Bio

Wow. Lame AND weeeak .

Completely unnecessary...just feels like awful storytelling to be honest. This must have happened rigth after he stalemated Galactus. All these hearsay Sentry stories from his past of all the great things he did really cheapen things for me in the MU. Just my opinion. 

#34 Posted by Decept-O (7292 posts) - - Show Bio

Why the heck would Rogue even mention this in the first place?  Some people keep important issues personal and secret, and I think Rogue would have kept this secret.  It could have been written where Rogue had a thought balloon and mentioned this, that would have been more effective.    Still, it's pointless no matter how it is brought up.  

Sentry was and is the lamest f"in' idea. 

#35 Posted by NightFang (10261 posts) - - Show Bio

Does she even have a sex life?

#36 Posted by Alphaproto (349 posts) - - Show Bio

It might be a wtf moment now but this could turn into somthing good.
#37 Posted by Emperor Gonzo Noir (18976 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "
co-signed to the deux ex machina
#38 Posted by John Valentine (16335 posts) - - Show Bio
Did not happen.....
#39 Posted by IronSpidy-Rooney (332 posts) - - Show Bio

Bwo chicca bwo wo

#40 Posted by frogger (94 posts) - - Show Bio

Epic fail by  Paul Jenkins by trying to make Sentry sound significant. Marvel really tired to push this character but it just never really caught on with the fans.
#41 Posted by Beatrix (65 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just terrible writing, both out of character and chronology, but needlessly inserted.  

Rogue is sadder about this than her adoptive brother's death…
AND Shouldn't the X-Men be at war right now?

#42 Posted by DEGRAAF (7912 posts) - - Show Bio

i think it was dumb to bring up but i find it interesting. I would say that she would of had to been his mistress then if they did have sex. or she was a minor or both
#43 Posted by Archetype (731 posts) - - Show Bio
@Gambler said:
" Weak sauce. "
I heard that's what's on Norman's face

...also how would she remember her relationship with him unless it was after the whole everyone forget me mind wipe in which case we have a time line or frame of reference
#44 Posted by NXH (1030 posts) - - Show Bio

SAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY WHAAAAAAAAAAAAAAT?????

#45 Posted by DarkSyde79 (213 posts) - - Show Bio

Bump all this Sentry-Rogue business and how it changes her character. I’m glad they did it just to see Johnny Storm gossip like a teenage girl and Cyclops response is priceless. Like he doesn’t wanna get involved in the gossiping but at the same time, he’s not tellin’ Johnny to mind his business. 

#46 Posted by goldenkey (2920 posts) - - Show Bio

He'll be back.  that's obvious,  Hopefully he have tougher costume then Yellow.  Come on now, yellow.  It's the worst.   The next worst color you could put him would be pink.   Im guessing when he comes back he'll have his shit in order too, he won't be suck a head case.  They''ll give his return to a big writer and he'll take care of it.  marvel has got have some meeting on this guy alone to figure out what to do with him because lets be frank, he has all the potential in the world.  I just hope they don't go cosmic with him.  Speaking of cosmic take a note from the way they did Quasar with his (evil version) return a few months back.  That look was great, and it said BAD ASS all over it. 
#47 Posted by danhimself (22714 posts) - - Show Bio

I hated this issue and I usually don't come down that hard on books but this was terrible...I'm glad that the Sentry is gone for now and that there won't be anymore continuity changes based on whatever the writer wanting to give Sentry a flashback...If they would have just introduced him as a new character instead of trying to make him a forgotten hero who's back story can be made up and adjusted at anytime they see fit he would have been a much better character

#48 Posted by G-Man (18889 posts) - - Show Bio
@Archetype: Close.
#49 Posted by DiamondDog (8 posts) - - Show Bio

It's just awful. It's so cheap for Jenkins to abuse Rogue like this to make his pet boy Sentry this big ole 'playa'. And he obviously never thought it through. Sentry was clearly cheating on his wife, possible even doing an underage Rogue! The way Rogue talks it sounds like it was long ago, so how young was she? 

Not to mention the fact that in Sentry#4, when Sentry has telepathically talks with Xavier, he sees Rogue and Wolverine and (blue) Angel and he says to Xavier that he doesn't recognise any of them. He was gone so long he only new the O5 X-Men. Meaning, HE DIDN"T  EVEN KNOW ROGUE! And it's ridiculous to try and believe it happened AFTER that. We know all the Sentry stuff after that, he never had anything to do with the X-Men and Rogue was well with Gambit by then (And  she thinks cheaters are scum.) 

I doubt the Sentry will be back. I think they killed him because they see they've done everything with him. He was never really a character anyway. In all those books he was a plot device and a possible threat, that's it. 

It's just really, really tacky to do this. Really surprised.
#50 Posted by warlock360 (28064 posts) - - Show Bio
@danhimself: Sentrys been there for 10 years now, don't think he's all that new

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.