Follow

Rogue

Character » Rogue appears in 6616 issues.

The adopted daughter of Mystique, Rogue was once a member of the Brotherhood of Evil Mutants. Now reformed, Rogue has become a veteran member of the X-Men.

Is it fair to blame Rogue for the breakup with Gambit?

AprilTaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 1

#1  Edited By AprilTaylor

First and foremost I am a Rogue fan. I used to love ROMY, but I grew out of that once I began taking a closer look at their relationship throughout the years. From Beginning to end.

Some people like ROMY; other's don't. That's fine, but this thread is more about their breakup and why it is that Rogue is taking all the blame for the way her relationship with Gambit ended when she was only looking to reevaluate her life and all the decisions she's made.

The entire breakup from Milligan to Carey:

During Milligan’s run Gambit (unbeknownst to anyone else at the time) decided to join Apocalypse forces’ because he believed that apocalypse could save the mutants. He then opted to undergo transformation into the new Horseman of Death. Shortly after he debuted his new look and powers by attacking the x-men.

*snip*

after rogue is shot and put into a coma by mystique; it is revealed that Gambit has made a deal with Mr Sinister and is now working for the Marauders again. He’s there to help Rogue. Rogue wakes up from her coma because mystique used baby goo (Hope) to somehow cure Rogue. Rogue gets angry at Raven and tries to death touch her, but she doesn’t have that power anymore so Raven lives. Rogue says needs space to herself after having a billion minds stuffed into her head. She leaves Gambit in the lab/room(?)

The end her X-Men Legacy arc where she gets her powers under control. She tell’s Gambit she isn’t ready to restart their relationship and Gambit complies with her.

I think it's entirely unfair to blame Rogue for what occurred. It's not like She had any idea what Gambit was doing with Apocalypse, yet she still held out hope for him.

After she had her mind occupied by the billion aliens, she decided to take some time to herself to do some "soul searching", While Gambit was off doing his own thing.

I believe most of us here is familiar with the Salvage arc of Legacy? So I'll just skip to Rogue getting her powers under control.

When she does get her powers under control she tells Gambit pretty much on the spot that she's not ready to start their relationship again, and he agrees by telling her to take all the time she needs. She does just this by taking a job as Teacher to a bunch of X-kids. After that she's pretty much been on mission to mission (as you've seen in Legacy), it was roughly....two months(maybe 6 weeks) later that she ran into Gambit having a conversation with "dark Gambit". From there they spoke about Rogue, her powers, how she's been avoiding Gambit for awhile, and at that time Gambit reveals (in his own dialogue) that he wants to get back together, but Rogue is still hesitant and tells him that although she loves him she's just not ready to be together again.

However, even after all of this there are some people who will insist that Rogue is "being a bitch" or that she is "dragging Gambit along", so why is that? Why is it when they both agreed to remain "friends" with only Gambit changing his mind at a later time; Rogue is demonized for deciding against a relationship renewal and Gambit is seen as a victimized saint?

LoganRogue24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#2  Edited By LoganRogue24

i wish Rogue would date Logan darn it.

Supreme Marvel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 10

#3  Edited By Supreme Marvel

They broke up!! NOOOOOOOOOO!! My life is ruined!!!

ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#4  Edited By ExtraLarge

Maybe she was never really that into Gambit. Maybe she was only with him because nobody else wanted to be with a girl they couldn't touch. Now that she has options, maybe Gambit is out of the picture but she wants to keep him on standby just in case her powers change back. I'm not saying she's an evil, manipulative skank, but I'm not saying she's not either. You can never really tell with women.

AprilTaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By AprilTaylor

@ExtraLarge: Well, that was completely rude and uncalled for.

Maybe Rogue is finally thinking about what she wants for her life instead of just falling back into the same thing over and over again? Maybe she wants to see other people? Maybe she wants to be single? Maybe she wants to join a nunnery? Maybe she doesn't want to be guilted into being in a relationship with someone?

Who knows, but I don't think it's wrong of her for wanting something different for her life.

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#6  Edited By AweSam

She met the better man.

No Caption Provided
    Avatar image for royale_with_cheese
    royale_with_cheese

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@AweSam said:

She met the better man.

No Caption Provided

I don't like where his hands are reaching to, and how his eyes are glowing. That, and his pants seem to be tight.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#8  Edited By Raiiyn

@AweSam said:

She met the better man.

No Caption Provided

X_X

My eyes are burning...

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By AweSam

@Raiiyn: @royale_with_cheese: I guess metal's not the only thing he's attracting.

AprilTaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By AprilTaylor

@AweSam: lol, despite Marvel trying to sell us a "love triangle" Mike Carey has pretty much kept Rogue's "relationship" with Magneto out of her "relationship" with Gambit. Opting to explore on the former rather than the latter. Actually not until fairly recently with Christos Gage, has the two relationships "mixed" together.

SarahB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By SarahB

No one has ever that I've seen blamed Rogue for Gambit going to Apocalypse under Milligan. Everyone I know including Gambit fans think Milligan was writing Gambit as stupid to get him out of the books for Carey who didn't want to write him 

@AprilTaylor After she had her mind occupied by the billion aliens, she decided to take some time to herself to do some "soul searching", While Gambit was off doing his own thing.

Rogue is taking most of the blame because of how she handled it. The problem is not that she wanted to re-evaluate her life - as noted above when Rogue woke up from the near death after absorbing all those alien minds, she asked for space (without even bothering to say thank you or anything or even be glad Gambit was back to normal - which was honestly rude something Carey seemed to like writing Rogue as since she was always pretty self absorbed under Carey) and Gambit let her go and would not have gone after her if Xavier hadn't begged him in fear for Rogue so yet again Gambit runs to save her. If that had been the end of it, she might have still looked awful self-absorbed for never bothering to look Gambit up to thank him but she wouldn 't have been leading him on. Which is exactly what happened after her gaining control of her powers in Australia.

[quote]I believe most of us here is familiar with the Salvage arc of Legacy? So I'll just skip to Rogue getting her powers under control.

When she does get her powers under control she tells Gambit pretty much on the spot that she's not ready to start their relationship again, and he agrees by telling her to take all the time she needs.[/quote]

She says she's not ready to talk about them not that she's not at least thinking about it. She says she doesn't know how she feels but doesn't say its over AND speciifically says she is not sending him away and she has kissed him. This gives him first hope that he still has a chance and the belief that at the minimum she will talk to him about it and at least officially break up with him. So no she is not being definitive with him at all. She's dragging it out. If she told him to leave he would have, as he did before after she awoke but this time she specifically tells him to stay and drags him back to the X-Men when he was not there in the first place and he stays with the X-Men waiting on her to talk to him.    

She does just this by taking a job as Teacher to a bunch of X-kids. After that she's pretty much been on mission to mission (as you've seen in Legacy),  

Yet she repeated tells Magneto to leave her alone while he keeps showing up on her missions convenienty never leaving her alone while Gambit is waiting.

[quote]it was roughly....two months(maybe 6 weeks) later that she ran into Gambit having a conversation with "dark Gambit". From there they spoke about Rogue, her powers, how she's been avoiding Gambit for awhile, and at that time Gambit reveals (in his own dialogue) that he wants to get back together, but Rogue is still hesitant and tells him that although she loves him she's just not ready to be together again. [/quote]

Again leaving him ith the belief that he has a chance and to wait so he waits.  

]However, even after all of this there are some people who will insist that Rogue is "being a bitch" or that she is "dragging Gambit along", so why is that

Because she was dragging him along. Sorry she was. I love Rogue but I know Gambit was written as an idiot about the Apocalypse thing and will say so as you note so why try to white wash what Rogue did?  I'm also going to say when Rogue is being written under Carey as a selfish and crass bitch who never seemed to think about Gambit's feelings at all. They did not just agree to be friends. Rogue left him hanging as to what they agreed to be and when Gambit tells her she's being dishonest with herself about it not only does she not say a darn thing or even apologize for stringing him along and end it nicely, she runs and jumps into bed with Magneto over some forced memories from Legion using Gambit's own words about love as justification and allowing that to basically be thrown in his face that the minute he professes his love for her and he asked for her to be honest with him , she can't even be bothered to actually talk to him. Instead throws herself at a guy who once tortured them both and lets him find out about that through the grapevine so basically he looks like a smuck for being so accepting when Magneto forcing her to be around him againat the holocaust memorial when she asks Magneto to go away gets him sex. So asking Magneto to go away and give her space to think and him NOT doing so gets Magneto a relationship and Gambit doing as she asks gets him a long wait when he could have moved on for nothing not even an honest discussion. It was insensitve and childish and for a guy who had risked everything as a friend fs nothing else to save her life twice recently even knowing she might not love him any more either time, he deserved better and I as a Rogue fan expected better.

I won't even go into the issue of how Magneto ignoring her wishes got him treated nicer. (Remember her saying "I don't want to be around you. Ah can't sort out my thoughts from Legacy and Magneto completely ignoring her request to take her to the holocaust memorial and whine about being evil because of evil nazis? Gambit goes away to let her think and gets dumped and Magneto doesn't and gets rewarded for ignoring her request)

SarahB

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12  Edited By SarahB

Sorry about the poor format. I can't get the edit to work to fix it and sadly ExtraLarge maybe being blunt but the fact that Carey wrote Rogue as so insensitve to Gambit's feelings makes his interpretation somewhat valid.  For all the crap Carey wrote about Gambit being poor at apologies, its Rogue who never apologizes to him or asks him to not wait on her when its obvious she's not trying too hard to make up her mind or holding Magneto accountable for the things he's done. 
    ExtraLarge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 4

#13  Edited By ExtraLarge

For the record, I am a Rogue fan and I'm not saying I want that particular theory to be true, but it is a possibility.

Raiiyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#14  Edited By Raiiyn

@AweSam:

No Caption Provided

AweSam

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By AweSam

@Raiiyn said:

@AweSam:

No Caption Provided

Denial's a hell of a thing.

Crash_Recovery

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Crash_Recovery

@AprilTaylor: Like any relationship, making big decisions that effect your life as a couple can wreck things, and it sounds like Gambit did something along those lines. Having said that, the X-Men hardly lead a typical life so ridiculousness of that sort of par for the course. Ultimately, Rogue and Gambit will always have relationship strife because that sells books. You can blow up all the SHIELD Helicarriers you like, but if people don't get wrapped up in the personal lives of the characters, books won't sell.

jrock85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 8

#17  Edited By jrock85

Blame Marvel.

KDarkholme

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By KDarkholme

@jrock85: Agreed. They made her do it. That Rogue & Rogue thing is just plain stupid.

Nekobaghira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By Nekobaghira

IMO - Rogue is taking the blame because of leading Gambit on and not being decisive in her decision making. She's asked him to wait a long time then goes and sleeps with Magneto. That isn't fair to Gambit.

AprilTaylor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By AprilTaylor

She never asked him to wait she told the moment the kiss ended that she wasn't going to reenter their relationship and that she needed "space". He agreed with her and then decided for himself to wait.

Avatar image for roroonthedownlow
    Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By Roroonthedownlow

Rogue's entirely to blame here- she's acted without honor, maturity or dignity. Gambit treated her with respect and all he got for it was cuckolded in front of his friends.

April, you're reading what you want to read. It was abundantly clear that she didn't call it off- she kissed him, said she didn't know how she felt and he said he'd wait for her. She didn't say 'No, get on with your life, that's too much pressure' she said, IIRC, 'I'd like that' or 'that'd be nice' and smiled and they walked off into the sunset together.

Carey basically and unintentionally wrote Rogue as a cock tease so he could pair her off with his own favourite guy. He handled the whole thing so badly I still don't understand what he was trying to do.

Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By Roroonthedownlow

@AprilTaylor: That wasn't intentional. Carey was touting it as a love triangle all along, he just couldn't write one.

Avatar image for hopesummersforthefuture
    HopesummersFORtheFUTURE

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

@Supreme Marvel said:

They broke up!! NOOOOOOOOOO!! My life is ruined!!!

Imao

Roguegirl24

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By Roguegirl24

Couldn't help myself

No Caption Provided
    Roroonthedownlow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Roroonthedownlow

"Never bothers to explain why which makes sense in terms of Rogue's character and history"

This edit will also create new pages on Comic Vine for:

Beware, you are proposing to add brand new pages to the wiki along with your edits. Make sure this is what you intended. This will likely increase the time it takes for your changes to go live.

Comment and Save

Until you earn 1000 points all your submissions need to be vetted by other Comic Vine users. This process takes no more than a few hours and we'll send you an email once approved.